Books

JustJason

T.C. BOYLE Great author

http://www.tcboyle.com/

Talk Talk is a good one as well as Drop city!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judge and Jury by Patterson!!!

'Flowers For Algernon' by Daniel Keyes

:popcorn:Until he was thirty-two, Charlie Gordon --gentle, amiable, oddly engaging-- had lived in a kind of mental twilight. He knew knowledge was important and had learned to read and write after a fashion, but he also knew he wasn't nearly as bright as most of the people around him. There was even a white mouse named Algernon who outpaced Charlie in some ways. But a remarkable operation had been performed on Algernon, and now he was a genius among mice. Suppose Charlie underwent a similar operation...

'Flowers For Algernon' by Daniel Keyes

:popcorn:Until he was thirty-two, Charlie Gordon --gentle, amiable, oddly engaging-- had lived in a kind of mental twilight. He knew knowledge was important and had learned to read and write after a fashion, but he also knew he wasn't nearly as bright as most of the people around him. There was even a white mouse named Algernon who outpaced Charlie in some ways. But a remarkable operation had been performed on Algernon, and now he was a genius among mice. Suppose Charlie underwent a similar operation...

Fantastic book, I read it in high school and it almost made me cry :crying:

Just started to read but i think i will cry too :crying:

Just started to read but i think i will cry too :crying:

There was a movie version of "Flowers For Algernon" made in the late '60s called "Charly" (starring Cliff Robertson) that differs slightly from the novel (I believe the ending was changed for the movie) but it was still quite a tear jerker...

There was a movie version of "Flowers For Algernon" made in the late '60s called "Charly" (starring Cliff Robertson) that differs slightly from the novel (I believe the ending was changed for the movie) but it was still quite a tear jerker...

Never seen this movie ! Thanks for the tip :drink:

>> Charly <<

I hope to find a french subtitle version... :unsure:

• 2 months later...
Currently I'm re-reading "The Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle, which is about life on the New York Yankees during the late 1970s. I first read this book many years ago and laughed my ass off all the way through it. One of the best, if not THE best, baseball book ever written.

How sad is this... I mentioned that I was reading this book back in August, and just last night I picked it up off the nightstand for the first time SINCE then (it was quite dusty by that time too! COUGH) and read a couple of chapters. I really should try to get back into the reading groove again. I have a shelf full of paperbacks that I would like to start whittling down...

Currently I'm re-reading "The Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle, which is about life on the New York Yankees during the late 1970s. I first read this book many years ago and laughed my ass off all the way through it. One of the best, if not THE best, baseball book ever written.

How sad is this... I mentioned that I was reading this book back in August, and just last night I picked it up off the nightstand for the first time SINCE then (it was quite dusty by that time too! COUGH) and read a couple of chapters. I really should try to get back into the reading groove again. I have a shelf full of paperbacks that I would like to start whittling down...

Start with CD inserts and build yourself up! :P

Hey, may be a stupid question guys but have any of y'all ever read an on-line novel? Not my thing, but just curious.

And here's the stupidest question of all, but I'd love if someone could help me out with this concept: As I mentioned in another thread the other day, I wrote about 7 full-length stories a few years ago. I think they're all still on my hard drive (F*ck me, I'm not even sure. I hope I didn't lose them when my last computer crashed. I'd be f*cking crushed) and I really want to read them again. I won't read from a computer and I hate reading A4 pages too. What I'd love is to be able to print out the text, set up like a real book. Like maybe 2 halves of an A4 page, back to back set up in order. Anyone know if there's a program on the net or something that can do this for me? A printing novel format program or something? :lol:

Hey, may be a stupid question guys but have any of y'all ever read an on-line novel? Not my thing, but just curious.

I love a book called The Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart...it's probably my fave book ever maybe. Anyway he only wrote another two books in the series before becoming disillusioned with the whole publishing business. BUT he did write a further book which was never published and I found on a web site years ago but you had to solve problems and navigate a maze (if I remember rightly) to get to each chapter. BUT I couldn't get into it. The whole point of reading a book I feel is to settle down, relax and just get in there! Enjoy the whole experience which I don't feel you can do by staring at a screen.

And here's the stupidest question of all, but I'd love if someone could help me out with this concept: As I mentioned in another thread the other day, I wrote about 7 full-length stories a few years ago. I think they're all still on my hard drive (F*ck me, I'm not even sure. I hope I didn't lose them when my last computer crashed. I'd be f*cking crushed) and I really want to read them again. I won't read from a computer and I hate reading A4 pages too. What I'd love is to be able to print out the text, set up like a real book. Like maybe 2 halves of an A4 page, back to back set up in order. Anyone know if there's a program on the net or something that can do this for me? A printing novel format program or something? :lol:

Dunno...might be one for Delbert that.....You would need a printer capable of printing duplex though.

Just finished a two parter "Deadman's Bluff" and Deadman's Poker" by James Swain.

Depending on what program you used to author them, you should be able to get the pages to the size you'd like in "Page Setup" or something. maybe like A4, but in landscape format, and then set it up as two columns to emulate the feel of two pages side by side.

By the way, I'm reading a Vince Flynn novel (I forget the name) that is a really great read if you like political action thriller kinda stuff.

When i got time I love reading Dean Koontz. IMHO by far better than Stephen King! I especially recommend Velocity.

Koontz is awesome. The only problem I have with him is that he cranks out so many books so quickly that I can't keep up anymore!!

My favorite Koontz book was "Intensity" (which was also made into a pretty killer TV mini-series a few years back)

When i got time I love reading Dean Koontz. IMHO by far better than Stephen King! I especially recommend Velocity.

Koontz is awesome. The only problem I have with him is that he cranks out so many books so quickly that I can't keep up anymore!!

My favorite Koontz book was "Intensity" (which was also made into a pretty killer TV mini-series a few years back)

Great, another Koontz fan! :drink: He's been definately putting out truckloads of books in the past few years, and it is amazing that every single one is between very good and excellent. Btw. Have you read Odd Thomas? This one was very touching in the ending.

Intensity is one of my favourites as well and somehow I even managed to see the movie. Don't know how the psycho-character-actor is called, but awesome performance.

Great, another Koontz fan! :drink: He's been definately putting out truckloads of books in the past few years, and it is amazing that every single one is between very good and excellent. Btw. Have you read Odd Thomas? This one was very touching in the ending.

Intensity is one of my favourites as well and somehow I even managed to see the movie. Don't know how the psycho-character-actor is called, but awesome performance.

Nope, unfortunately I haven't read a Koontz book (or anything else) in quite a while now... I don't have as much time to read as I used to. It seems like every time I'm at the store I see yet another new Dean Koontz novel on the racks and I think to myself "Sh*t, ANOTHER one... I'm never gonna get caught up..."

I believe the guy who played the "Intensity" psycho was John C. McGinley, he also played a bad guy in "The Rock" and he's also very funny, if you've seen "Office Space" or the TV series "Scrubs." Great actor!