Maverick - Big Red

Stefan

Really good album. I think overall it's probably a better, more complete album than the already impressive debut. I think of all current bands at the moment, these guys have the purest late 80's / early 90's style. That 'Madamoiselle' track sounds like it could have been lifted off Sven Gali's debut.

But they've done really well. I looked at a few song titles and wondered if they might be questionable, but I think the song titles I was most concerned about all turned out to be some of the best tracks, like 'Madamoiselle,' 'Whiskey Lover' and 'Asylum.' That closing ballad is a good one too. There truly isn't a weak song on here, though. Really good stuff.

• 1 month later...

I have Quid Pro Quo, and I don't re\call it being all that great.
I'll have to listen to it again and see if it's one of those albums where I ended up liking a few songs.

I REALLY like Whiskey Lover though. Great hard rock song. My type of music.

Based on that alone I'll try this new one out :)

I'll have to listen to it again and see if it's one of those albums where I ended up liking a few songs.

Quid Pro Quo is excellent imo. Esp the second half.

TBH, I don't think I gave it a fair go.

I tried out a few songs and really liked

Got It Bad

One More Day

I'll give it a proper listen

yeah, try -

Electric

Shackled

Last Addiction

Side by Side

Those are all great imo

Hadn't paid attention to this...finally took the time to listen and I'm liking. My first impression reminds me a bit of the debut album from Roxy Blue with how it sounds. I haven't listened to anymore than the tracks above yet though.

I love finding obscure stuff like this....might have to pick this CD up.

This is a great CD! I am trying to figure out how to get their other releases as well. If anyone has info on how to get them, please let me know! Thanks!

Really good album. I think overall it's probably a better, more complete album than the already impressive debut. I think of all current bands at the moment, these guys have the purest late 80's / early 90's style. That 'Madamoiselle' track sounds like it could have been lifted off Sven Gali's debut.

But they've done really well. I looked at a few song titles and wondered if they might be questionable, but I think the song titles I was most concerned about all turned out to be some of the best tracks, like 'Madamoiselle,' 'Whiskey Lover' and 'Asylum.' That closing ballad is a good one too. There truly isn't a weak song on here, though. Really good stuff.

Got this album a couple days ago and have to agree with Geoff....Pretty solid album and definitely a late 80's/90's throwback type sound.

The album is a bit raw sounding and pretty obvious the label isn't really high budget....But I guess who cares if the music is good and it's allowing something to get out there that otherwise might not be able to. I just think they're good enough to be with a bigger label that could promote them a little more. I'd think somebody like Frontiers or AOR Heaven would be onto these guys.

Don't get me wrong though....Really like the CD and kinda like the "rawness" of it for something different. I really dig The One....perfect melodic rock tune. I also quite like Free, Forever and Asylum. Heck, the whole CD is really easy to listen to though.

Really a pleasant surprise....Will be keeping my eye on these guys.

• 1 month later...

Thought this album deserved a track by track review and a little bump....Really seems to not have gotten much attention on the sites I visit and I really like this album. Since getting Big Red I've also went back and gotten their debut album and really like that one as well. I don't think the first one is quite as good as this one but still like it quite a bit...Anyways...

1) All For One - 8 - Decent opener...Would've liked another verse or return to the chorus after the long instrument only part that closes the song

2) Free - 10 - Cool tune, like the backing vocals, kinda reminds me a little of Paint By Numbers from the debut

3) The One - 10 - Favorite song on the album...melodic gem

4) Madamoiselle - 9 - Song title worried me a little but solid song

5) Forever - 10 - Another song I like a lot

6) In the Night - 9.5 - Cool vibe, good melodies

7) Whiskey Lover - 9 - Another song I wasn't sure about the title but cool story type song

8) Renegade - 8.5 - Decent rocker, sounds good but doesn't really stand out for me like some of the other songs

9) Beyond The Gates - 8 - Another decent rocker that again sorta just doesn't strike me much but still sounds okay

10) Asylum - 9.5 - Pace gets picked back up with this one

11) Fly Away - 8.5 - First ballad on the album...Doesn't blow me away but it's done pretty well.

90%

Overall, just have found myself really digging this album and I can't seem to keep it out of my CD player since getting it a little over a month ago. It's just solid late 80's/early 90's type melodic rock and for me it's really right there among my favorites of 2016. I think part of what I like about it too is that it's just a bit different than all the "polished" Frontiers releases I've bought this year. Basically, this album is the perfect example why I visit sites like this because I would've never found it otherwise :)

Thought this album deserved a track by track review and a little bump....Really seems to not have gotten much attention on the sites I visit and I really like this album. Since getting Big Red I've also went back and gotten their debut album and really like that one as well. I don't think the first one is quite as good as this one but still like it quite a bit...Anyways...

1) All For One - 8 - Decent opener...Would've liked another verse or return to the chorus after the long instrument only part that closes the song

2) Free - 10 - Cool tune, like the backing vocals, kinda reminds me a little of Paint By Numbers from the debut

3) The One - 10 - Favorite song on the album...melodic gem

4) Madamoiselle - 9 - Song title worried me a little but solid song

5) Forever - 10 - Another song I like a lot

6) In the Night - 9.5 - Cool vibe, good melodies

7) Whiskey Lover - 9 - Another song I wasn't sure about the title but cool story type song

8) Renegade - 8.5 - Decent rocker, sounds good but doesn't really stand out for me like some of the other songs

9) Beyond The Gates - 8 - Another decent rocker that again sorta just doesn't strike me much but still sounds okay

10) Asylum - 9.5 - Pace gets picked back up with this one

11) Fly Away - 8.5 - First ballad on the album...Doesn't blow me away but it's done pretty well.

90%

Overall, just have found myself really digging this album and I can't seem to keep it out of my CD player since getting it a little over a month ago. It's just solid late 80's/early 90's type melodic rock and for me it's really right there among my favorites of 2016. I think part of what I like about it too is that it's just a bit different than all the "polished" Frontiers releases I've bought this year. Basically, this album is the perfect example why I visit sites like this because I would've never found it otherwise :)

yeah these guys have been a favourite of mine since the debut

I actually think I prefer the debut over the new one , and while its a very worthy follow up , I was slightly disappointed at first , but both really good albums as you say , just a really good band and definitely do not get the attention they deserve compared to some of the bands that are signed by frontiers and alike ( I would also put Miss Behaviour in this category)

The new Maverick is awesome...and it reminds me of Roxxi and Inside Out, both awesome Indies from back in the day. Love this stuff!!

Bad reviews?! What jackass would give this a bad review???!!!! This album rawks!

• 2 weeks later...

Bought Quid Pro Quo recently after buying Big Red about a month ago....Really liking this album. It might not be quite as good as Big Red but still very solid.

Got It Bad is just awesome....Quite like Paint By Numbers, Electric and Took The Night also. Really though, I find the whole thing pretty enjoyable and easy to listen to.

I just like these guys sound a lot...2 great releases that seem to have really flown under the radar on many of the sites I follow.

These guys have moved onto my automatic purchase list in the future :)

Bought Quid Pro Quo recently after buying Big Red about a month ago....Really liking this album. It might not be quite as good as Big Red but still very solid.

Got It Bad is just awesome....Quite like Paint By Numbers, Electric and Took The Night also. Really though, I find the whole thing pretty enjoyable and easy to listen to.

I just like these guys sound a lot...2 great releases that seem to have really flown under the radar on many of the sites I follow.

These guys have moved onto my automatic purchase list in the future :)

Thanks for the input guys, was wondering if I should get Quid Pro Quo as well. Liking the new album for sure, kind of like a grittier Crazy Lixx. Also some Skid Row and Roxy Blue (vocals) elements in there