Amaranthe - Massive Addictive

Stefan

1502450_951570108201715_5113120850422809

From FB:

(New York, NY): Gothenburg, Sweden's AMARANTHE, known for fusing melodic metal with elements of EDM, will release their third album MASSIVE ADDICTIVE via Spinefarm Records on October 21.

MASSIVE ADDICTIVE was tracked at Hansen Studios in Ribe, Denmark with the sound sorcerer Jacob Hansen (Volbeat, Epica) at the helm.

The 12-song album is a flawlessly executed clinic of masterfully and carefully crafted European metal, boasting Olof Mörck's surgically precise riffs and soaring solos alongside Morten Løwe Sørensen's rhythmic thrust and Johan Andreassen's booming low-frequency assault. Elize Ryd's vocals are as emotive and empowering as ever, filling the room, while Jake E's melodic vocals are an outpouring of power. New screamer Henrik Englund Wilhelmsson puts his stamp on the material, as well.

The sound is both massive and addictive, from the unforgettable, driving sounds of "Drop Dead Cynical" to the anthemic title track to the stadium-sized soar of "Digital World" to the emotionally haunting power semi-ballad "True." MASSIVE ADDICTIVE is an exercise in dynamics and is one that refuses to play by any sort of genre-specific, prescribed rules.

"We have lived and breathed this album every hour and every day the last year, and to know that this music is about to reach everyone's ears is beyond exciting," guitarist Mörck enthused about MASSIVE ADDICTIVE. "Following the first leg of The Nexus World Tour, we sat down and agreed that we wanted the next album to be really fresh, new and even to raise a few eyebrows, all while retaining our signature sound."

He continued, " MASSIVE ADDICTIVE is in every way that huge leap forward we wanted to achieve and the album definitely contain our strongest song writing to date. The press often asks us to 'describe the album with three words'; this time, the answer is simple - it's MASSIVE, it's ADDICTIVE, and most importantly, it's AMARANTHE!"

http://www.amaranthe.se/

ImageProxy.jpg

Tracks:

1. "Dynamite"
2. "Drop Dead Cynical"
3. "Trinity"
4. "Massive Addictive"
5. "Digital World"
6. "True"
7. "Unreal"
8. "Over and Done"
9. "Danger Zone"
10. "Skyline"
11. "An Ordinary Abnormality"
12. "Exhale"

2 good, solid albums so far, just waiting for that knockout, killer album. Hopefully this will be it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 good, solid albums so far, just waiting for that knockout, killer album. Hopefully this will be it

I don't mean to set out spoilers for the rest of your life, but it will never, ever happen. These guys will record the same album for the remainder of their career. I like the first two too, and I like this one. But you could make a compilation of all 3 discs and never tell which song is off which album, or if the song is actually even that much different to the previous one you just heard, or the one you're about to hear. Kinda harsh, but that's how I feel about these guys. It's nice if you're in the mood for this kind of stuff, but variety is not in their vocabulary. Sadly, neither will a killer album ever be. :(

These guys will record the same album for the remainder of their career. I like the first two too, and I like this one. But you could make a compilation of all 3 discs and never tell which song is off which album, or if the song is actually even that much different to the previous one you just heard, or the one you're about to hear.

Hasn't AC/DC made an entire career of doing this very thing? Just sayin'...

Change risks alienating core fans. I can see why some groups stick with what works. Philosophically, one can say that groups should always be evolving, but sometimes that evolution results in major suckage.... like many hair bands' experimentation with the "alternative sound" in the mid 1990s. BLEAGH!

These guys will record the same album for the remainder of their career. I like the first two too, and I like this one. But you could make a compilation of all 3 discs and never tell which song is off which album, or if the song is actually even that much different to the previous one you just heard, or the one you're about to hear.

Hasn't AC/DC made an entire career of doing this very thing? Just sayin'...

Change risks alienating core fans. I can see why some groups stick with what works. Philosophically, one can say that groups should always be evolving, but sometimes that evolution results in major suckage.... like many hair bands' experimentation with the "alternative sound" in the mid 1990s. BLEAGH!

Oh yeah, no doubt at all. Dirty Looks were kind of the same too. Nothing wrong with it. I like Dirty Looks and Amaranthe. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And if I'd rated Amaranthe's debut 90% I'd be beating my penis every time I heard they were releasing a new album.

But I rated it about a 70%, as I have their other albums since. And whilst that's not a bad score by any means, there is SOOOO much music out there these days that I tend to try to deal mostly with the 80%+ albums, which sadly means the Amaranthes of the world get lost in the mix.

But anyway, that's just me. If this is a 90% band for someone, they will no doubt have a joyous listening career ahead of them because you can pretty much guarantee the next CD will be identical to the first 3. And good luck to them too, if what they're doing is no doubt bringing them some level of success.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a sneaky suspicion this was gonna be a good one. Everything on this seems to have gone up a notch or 2 from the other 2 albums, and whilst of course this is familiar territory style wise, I think the songs have bigger choruses, that stick in the brain straightaway and are even more 'Poppier' than before. Still plenty of heavy riffs going on, but loads of melody too. Can honestly say there is isn't a bad song on here and a good few huge ones. Great stuff

Over the years, Geoff and I really haven't agreed much when it comes to what we hear in music........but, this is one of those times I have to agree with him. Maybe it has to do with what my ear wants to hear, but, this band has some very good music, but it is all so repititious!!!

One album and I feel as though I own the whole catalog!!! In fact, that is all I do own!!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...