Looking for a particular type of cd storage sleeve

glam_junkie

Whilst in sweden a couple of years back i brought a handful of heavy duty pvc-type material cd storage sleeves. I used them for storing all the cds i was buying along my journey.

A couple of years later when i'm trying to condense a bit of my collection I was thinking that another couple hundred of these would be useful but do you think i can find them.

The store i originally purchased them from has since closed.

Sleeves are as follows...

- think pvc type plastic (not "japanese plastic")

- a gate-fold type design with a carboard insert

- gate fold allows front insert to fit on one side and the back insert to fit on the other side

- the cd then sits in the folded cardboard insert that sits in the same half of the sleeve as the rear insert

These are fantastic and i am just wondering whether anyone else has seen theswe or knows where to get them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see these and if they are as cool as they sound I'd want a few thousand myself.

Can you up a photo?

Will do.... when i get home.

I purchased about 50-60 of them at the time to condense all the stuff i brought whilst travelling, and now that my cd shevles are full to the brim, i'm looking to use these for the over-flow such that i can store them all away nicely in a draw.

I have managed to contact one of the guys who worked at the store, who has put me onto one of the previous owners, so hoping he may be able to let me know where to order these from again.

these are the ones i am after...

For all photos i have shown i empty sleeve and 1 sleeve in use.

In the close position. Front insert on display, but also the spine from the rear insert.

P1000478.jpg

Open position. Displays the rear of the front insert and the cardboard sleeve holding the disc.

P1000479.jpg

Open Position. Showing where the disc is stored.

P1000480.jpg

Rear view. Displays rear insert.

P1000481.jpg

In the close position. Front insert on display, but also the spine from the rear insert.

P1000478.jpg

Open position. Displays the rear of the front insert and the cardboard sleeve holding the disc.

P1000479.jpg

P1000480.jpg

P1000481.jpg

These REALLY look great ! Count me in ! :drink:

My shelf space sucks as well. :(

These look cool. I've seen some similar but it was a long time ago. Have you tried Officeworks and Store? I'd be keen to grab a heap of these also, I am just about to drop $1k on a cabinet maker to build in a CD rack on an unused wall!

I've been looking the whole day for these sleeves, but I can't find these bloody things. :( It's quite unbelievable, but none of the sleeves I found - except one - are large enough to fit the inlay.

Here is the best I found so far, but with a few negative points:

CD sleeve incl. inlay

Second best so far:

CD sleeve without inlay (probably)

P1000478.jpg

P1000479.jpg

P1000480.jpg

P1000481.jpg

These REALLY look great ! Count me in ! :drink:

My shelf space sucks as well. :(

Agreed again on both counts!

I would/could only assume that if these are located they will/must be $3.00 plus each?

But as stated above finding a sleeve that can house the entire cd contents is very elusive and I really like the cardboard insert...

I've been looking the whole day for these sleeves, but I can't find these bloody things. :( It's quite unbelievable, but none of the sleeves I found - except one - are large enough to fit the inlay.

Here is the best I found so far, but with a few negative points:

CD sleeve incl. inlay

Second best so far:

CD sleeve without inlay (probably)

The first one is similar, but then you'd have to invest in those "paper" cd sleeves to protect the disc, but I like the fact tha the rear tray can be stored alongside the rest, unlike option 2 wich appears to "protect" the disc, but doesn't look wide enough for the rear tray ? HOWEVER do they look similar, minus black cardbaord cd sleeve, to the one Lindsey posted???

Option 1 says you can get 50 for $20. Which means to go all in for me it would cost me about $6,000! :( On the plus side I could store more cd's...

They're cool wish I could have found something like that over here - This year I must have spent 6 months or more looking at stuff trying to find something that would enable me to dump my jewelcases which allowed me to store the rear sleeve too.

The only options were discsox and Jewelsleeves both similar products - but they were only available in the U.S. and the cost was pretty prohibitive especially when I factored in postage and customs duty.

There were the Jazz Loft CD sleeves which are simliar to the ones your showing as you can see from the youtube clip but without the card...I was so close to getting these but with postage and duty I was looking at around £400........they get good reviews but looked a bit flimsy.

I did find somewhere else in the Netherlands a shop called Who's your Daddy Records - They did a single un hinged sleeve in which you could fit the tray card, booklet, and CD in - but getting the guy to send them was a bit of a nightmare and in the end I gave up (what is it with these Jazz dudes), plus again they looked a little flimsy.

I settled on using regular CD storage sleeves 120 micron Polyproylene, £24 for 1600 and it's working great (the other options I listed were anywhere from £400 to around the £1000 mark).

I fold the tray card spines over and place it in the sleeve so that the flap on the front of the poly sleeve is facing the inside of the tray card. Over the tray card goes the booklet. Inbetween them both I put the CD.

Then - I get the flap and refold over the edge of the tray card (the factory fold point is too short) and go over it a few times with my thumb flip it and do the same again, that makes a new fold and there is usually around 3 - 6 mm to fold back into the sleeve so everything is pretty much encased except for two small triangles of the rear of the tray card where the flap folds back on itself and into the sleeve. Fuck me it's hard to explain but from the front it looks very similar to the pictures Glam_Junkie has posted. I like it....they all look like these Japanese Mini replica albums now haha!

Like them the spine is visible when picking through the shelving so it's not hard to find something, plus there's still the ocassional CD in special packaging which hasn't been put into a sleeve so you know where abouts your looking easily.

Originally I was storing them with the Poly sleeve flap open as kind of a support for the tray card, but didn't work well and I was concerned a little about dust. Using the method I do now it's all nicely contained and much more robust.

To prevent the tray card/booklets from scratching the CD's I usually pull the booklet and tray card out and lift the CD off so there's no friction.

or

slightly flex the envelope so I can pull the CD out (not keen on this as it can get fingerprints on the CD)

Putting them back in again flex the sleeve slightly so that the CD goes in without it touching the booklet or tray card.

Now having said that to stop any chance of scratching I've started getting from SoundsourceCDs (in the U.S.) anti static round bottomed CD sleeves (you know the ones you get inside Japanese CD releases). I trim about 7mm off the top of them (otherwise they won't fit) and taper the edge a bit so they slide in and out that much easier.

This way I can just reach in and slide the CD out without any fear of scratching.

I've been using this method since August and even without the antistatic inner sleeves have had no scratches to the CD's....I've looked at them under all sorts of lighting and it's all fine, and I continue to check.

I suppose if you just grab and pull your CD's out then they will scratch - just learn to take a little more care I think, take an extra 5 seconds.

But the sleeves you store them in need to be chemically neutral so something like Polypropelyne (which I use) or Polyethelene are great. But bog standard sleeves made of plastic or vinyl will screw up your CD's and artwork due to the chemicals they leech out.

I'll post a picture over the next few days - but getting a decent detailed picture at night here using flash is a waste of time as it glares and you can't see what I'm doing.

Anyway I was a little concerned at first about dumping the jewelcases, it took some real soul searching to do this and it might not be for everyone...but now I'm overjoyed - Of the 21 shelves of my main unit my CDs now occupy just 10 (and that's including the ones that were on a seperate 600 ish capacity unit ....which only had room for maybe another 100 CD's).

Most of my double CD's and any with special packaging I've left as they are - although there are a couple that have 2 CDs in the poly sleeves.

I've kept 90% of my Jewelcases which are now tucked well out of the way in the loft....just in case (case ...hahah geddit?).

I mentioned it back in early October in the following thread http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12929&st=40

I found many of the same links whilst i was searching.

The jazzloft ones look the most similar, however i'm struggling to see how the rear insert fits into that type (since the pictures on their site can't be opened larger). They also look a little more flimsy.

In regards to price i think i paid about 50c each for them, but i shall stand corrected on that figure. I actually still have the receipt (just incase i wanted to track them down again) at home so i'll have a look.

Nic, do you have a link to the ones you use?

I was even thinking of approaching someone over here to see what it would take to manufacture these sleeves.

They're cool wish I could have found something like that over here - This year I must have spent 6 months or more looking at stuff trying to find something that would enable me to dump my jewelcases which allowed me to store the rear sleeve too.

The only options were discsox and Jewelsleeves both similar products - but they were only available in the U.S. and the cost was pretty prohibitive especially when I factored in postage and customs duty.

There were the Jazz Loft CD sleeves which are simliar to the ones your showing as you can see from the youtube clip but without the card...I was so close to getting these but with postage and duty I was looking at around £400........they get good reviews but looked a bit flimsy.

I did find somewhere else in the Netherlands a shop called Who's your Daddy Records - They did a single un hinged sleeve in which you could fit the tray card, booklet, and CD in - but getting the guy to send them was a bit of a nightmare and in the end I gave up (what is it with these Jazz dudes), plus again they looked a little flimsy.

I settled on using regular CD storage sleeves 120 micron Polyproylene, £24 for 1600 and it's working great (the other options I listed were anywhere from £400 to around the £1000 mark).

I fold the tray card spines over and place it in the sleeve so that the flap on the front of the poly sleeve is facing the inside of the tray card. Over the tray card goes the booklet. Inbetween them both I put the CD.

Then - I get the flap and refold over the edge of the tray card (the factory fold point is too short) and go over it a few times with my thumb flip it and do the same again, that makes a new fold and there is usually around 3 - 6 mm to fold back into the sleeve so everything is pretty much encased except for two small triangles of the rear of the tray card where the flap folds back on itself and into the sleeve. Fuck me it's hard to explain but from the front it looks very similar to the pictures Glam_Junkie has posted. I like it....they all look like these Japanese Mini replica albums now haha!

Like them the spine is visible when picking through the shelving so it's not hard to find something, plus there's still the ocassional CD in special packaging which hasn't been put into a sleeve so you know where abouts your looking easily.

Originally I was storing them with the Poly sleeve flap open as kind of a support for the tray card, but didn't work well and I was concerned a little about dust. Using the method I do now it's all nicely contained and much more robust.

To prevent the tray card/booklets from scratching the CD's I usually pull the booklet and tray card out and lift the CD off so there's no friction.

or

slightly flex the envelope so I can pull the CD out (not keen on this as it can get fingerprints on the CD)

Putting them back in again flex the sleeve slightly so that the CD goes in without it touching the booklet or tray card.

Now having said that to stop any chance of scratching I've started getting from SoundsourceCDs (in the U.S.) anti static round bottomed CD sleeves (you know the ones you get inside Japanese CD releases). I trim about 7mm off the top of them (otherwise they won't fit) and taper the edge a bit so they slide in and out that much easier.

This way I can just reach in and slide the CD out without any fear of scratching.

I've been using this method since August and even without the antistatic inner sleeves have had no scratches to the CD's....I've looked at them under all sorts of lighting and it's all fine, and I continue to check.

I suppose if you just grab and pull your CD's out then they will scratch - just learn to take a little more care I think, take an extra 5 seconds.

But the sleeves you store them in need to be chemically neutral so something like Polypropelyne (which I use) or Polyethelene are great. But bog standard sleeves made of plastic or vinyl will screw up your CD's and artwork due to the chemicals they leech out.

I'll post a picture over the next few days - but getting a decent detailed picture at night here using flash is a waste of time as it glares and you can't see what I'm doing.

Anyway I was a little concerned at first about dumping the jewelcases, it took some real soul searching to do this and it might not be for everyone...but now I'm overjoyed - Of the 21 shelves of my main unit my CDs now occupy just 10 (and that's including the ones that were on a seperate 600 ish capacity unit ....which only had room for maybe another 100 CD's).

Most of my double CD's and any with special packaging I've left as they are - although there are a couple that have 2 CDs in the poly sleeves.

I've kept 90% of my Jewelcases which are now tucked well out of the way in the loft....just in case (case ...hahah geddit?).

I mentioned it back in early October in the following thread http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12929&st=40

Shucks ! Complicated, mate !! ;)

:pics:

I found many of the same links whilst i was searching.

The jazzloft ones look the most similar, however i'm struggling to see how the rear insert fits into that type (since the pictures on their site can't be opened larger). They also look a little more flimsy.

In regards to price i think i paid about 50c each for them, but i shall stand corrected on that figure. I actually still have the receipt (just incase i wanted to track them down again) at home so i'll have a look.

Nic, do you have a link to the ones you use?

I was even thinking of approaching someone over here to see what it would take to manufacture these sleeves.

Seriously design wise they're just a plastic CD wallet that you can pick up anywhere - just made sure they were polypropelene - not ideal when compared to more tailored products but seeing as it'd cost me a small fortune to import anything like the Jazzloft e.t.c. they suit me fine.

It's amazing that something geared towards storage of CD's i a decent manner (not those crappy file things that look like books - plenty of horror stories about those) can't be found over in the U.K!

I'll sort some pics out tomorrow on how I do it (for Bernds info too) :)

Just done these in the kitchen...on the cardboard back of pre-code horror comic Zombie no. 8 haha!

Here's the basic sleeve - just a regular CD sleeve.

SLEEVE.jpg

I fold the edges of the tray card inwards and together with the booklet (and maybe even the CD) I place them in the sleeve so that the hinged flap is at the front of the artwork/booklet. You can see below I've put the CD in an antitatic sleeve that I've trimmed across the top to fit better.

1. Represents the hinge that was made in the factory when the sleeve was made.

2. Is a second fold that I have made after inserting the tray/booklet e.t.c. I made it simply by rubbing the sleeve with a decent amount of pressure after folding it over where the tray insert ends using my thumb, I then flip it over and just do the old thumb rub from the back too while it's folded over still.

FOLDATFRONT.jpg

Then I tuck the folded flap under the rest of the poly wallet it usually has an underlap of around 3 - 5mm or more that stops it springing out depending on how well I've done it

1. represents shows the little triangles I mentioned that aren't quite covered by the sleeve (it helps the CD breathe hahahaha!)

2. shows where the flap gets tucked under

REARINCTRIANGLES.jpg

Below all done - CD is poking out a bit(it usually doesn't) as I didn't put it back in fully whist taking pics but you get the idea. That's how it looks when done and how it's stored.

FINISHED.jpg

I store em upright though, not flat and try not to have the CDs at an angle...use a bookend if the shelf isn't full to keep 'em straight. Plus as I said - don't use vinyl or regular plastic - polyethelyne, polypropylene and polyurethane are fine as they're chemically neutral - I emailed the maker of these sleeves (Humlin) to find out what they were made of before buying loads off eBay. I'm using 120 micron polypropelene which is pretty sturdy, I wouldn't go below 100 micron and the place I got these from have 150 micron and Humlin themselves do 180 micron but I'm not sure if you can buy directly off them.

Found all the parts!

ALLOFIT.jpg

Thnaks for the pix Nick. Sounds like a bit of work and modification required. Final product looks good though.

Since i'm having no luck so far finding the supplier of the sleeve in the OP, i'm actually in the process of getting a quote to see what these would cost to get manufactured. Will see what i can find out...

Yeah - modifications the name of the game - making the best of not having a proper tailored product available. But jeeeeez the space I've saved probably freed up around 2/3rds.

Yeah - modifications the name of the game - making the best of not having a proper tailored product available. But jeeeeez the space I've saved probably freed up around 2/3rds.

Yeah, space is the issue.

I'm actually looking to keep my main shelf all in original jewelcases, but just compacting all my extras that don't quite make the main collection. And these are adding up pretty quickly.

Since i'm having no luck so far finding the supplier of the sleeve in the OP, i'm actually in the process of getting a quote to see what these would cost to get manufactured. Will see what i can find out...

... and the cost to get them shipped to Germany ! ;)

... and the cost to get them shipped to Germany ! ;)

will do.

once i get a price i'll see who's interested, and hopefully they work out at a nice price, even including postage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did you ever manage to get a price on these Bernd?

I'm speaking to another supplier at the moment as the last one i was speaking to kinda seemed to lose interest in the whole thing.

My contacts over here seem to have lost interest as well. I really can't understand why this is so difficult ! There are millions of CD PP sleeves on the market, but none hold a back inlay. WTF !!!