The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

OK, the recent furor over the 100% rating given to Journey's "Eclipse" got me to digging around to see what other titles have gotten a perfect rating from Andrew over the years, and here they are:

Mecca - S/T

Danger Danger-Cockroach

Danger Danger- The Return of the Great Gildersleeves

Harem Scarem- Higher

Harem Scarem- Weight of the World

TNT- My Religion

Toto- Falling in Between

W.E.T. - S/T

Treat - Coup De Grace

Mr. Big - What If...

Journey - Eclipse

So, simple question, are any of these worthy of a 100% in your opinion?

For that matter, do you think ANY CD is worth a perfect 100% score?

For me, from the list above, the TNT and Treat would be the closest, as I love both of those, but neither would be quite 100% in my opinion.

I know some people say there is no such thing as a perfect CD; 100% across the boards on songwriting, instrumentation, vocals, song structure, running order, cover art, packaging, etc...

Personally, I go in a slightly different direction, and think that every person should have at least one 100% CD that they can compare all other CDs to. Dokken's Back For the Attack is the disc that I measure all other CDs against. For me, BFtA is a 100 and I rank everything else relevant to that. Van Halen's 5150 would be a 99 for me, as would Y&T's Earthshaker. Treat's Coup De Grace is probably a 97 or 98, and TNT's My Religion would probably be a 95 or 96. See where I'm going with this? Anyone else kinda rank CDs similarly to this, or am I the lone nutjob? :P

I know some people think there are quite a few perfect CDs out there, and I'd love to see those lists too. It's just interesting to see how different folks look at the matter. :quagmire:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the recent furor over the 100% rating given to Journey's "Eclipse" got me to digging around to see what other titles have gotten a perfect rating from Andrew over the years, and here they are:

Mecca - S/T

Danger Danger-Cockroach

Harem Scarem- Higher

TNT- My Religion

Toto- Falling in Between

W.E.T. - S/T

Treat - Coup De Grace

Mr. Big - What If...

Journey - Eclipse

For me, from the list above, the TNT and Treat would be the closest, as I love both of those, but neither would be quite 100% in my opinion.

I know some people say there is no such thing as a perfect CD; 100% across the boards on songwriting, instrumentation, vocals, song structure, running order, cover art, packaging, etc...

Personally, I go in a slightly different direction, and think that every person should have at least one 100% CD that they can compare all other CDs to. Dokken's Back For the Attack is the disc that I measure all other CDs against. For me, BFtA is a 100 and I rank everything else relevant to that. Van Halen's 5150 would be a 99 for me, as would Y&T's Earthshaker. Treat's Coup De Grace is probably a 97 or 98, and TNT's My Religion would probably be a 95 or 96. See where I'm going with this? Anyone else kinda rank CDs similarly to this, or am I the lone nutjob? :P

I know some people think there are quite a few perfect CDs out there, and I'd love to see those lists too. It's just interesting to see how different folks look at the matter. :quagmire:

I agree with you.I actually take the view that

there isn't a CD worthy of 100%.90plus% albums

should be the exceptional albums.Are the above

11 albums equally as good?.I dont think so.But

going by the ratings, they are.

For me, I can't think of any disc is worthy of 100% but I can think of plenty that sit in the 90-98 mark.

If I'm going to rate a Hard Rock album, I would rate it relative to my favourite Hard Rock discs such as Skid Row - S/T and Kix - Hot Wire. If I was going to rate an AOR disc, I'd rate it relative to my favourite AOR discs like Boulevard, Diving for Pearls and Blue Tears - all of which rate in the high 90's for me.

As for the albums that MR.com has rated 100%, I think WET, Treat and Journey would all come close, maybe something like 92% but none of these are 100% albums for me. I love Harem Scarem - Higher and the Danger Danger discs, but for me they wouldn't even hit 90%.

Other discs which would rate in the high 90's for me are Alias - S/T, Bad English - S/T, Ratt - Detonator, Icon - Night of the Crime, Harem Scarem- S/T & Mood Swings, Gunshy - Mayday, Richard Marx - Paid Vacation, Bryan Adams - Waking Up the Neighbours, ..... that's to name just a few, but none of these would receive 100% from me.

But rating discs is just a bit of fun really. At the end of the day it doesn't really mean much.

I guess reviews are subjective and my biggest issue with the MR.com reviews is that they are all so high. Most CDs are over 80%. For me, maybe call me a traditionalist but anything over 80% is a must have CD. Anything over 90% is best in class or one of the few highlights of the year. 100%.... well I don't know if I have one in my collection, maybe Whitesnake 1987 or Dokken's Back for the Attack or Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King.... that's because on these CDs I love every song, love the guitars, the vibe, the vocals etc.... regardless 100% is a very special album, maybe only a few in a decade if that.

But we are all different and what we hear, or want to hear, or what we are looking for is completely unique. Like I said though the review scores are generally waaaaaay too high on the site.

Mecca - S/T

Danger Danger-Cockroach

Harem Scarem- Higher

TNT- My Religion

Toto- Falling in Between

W.E.T. - S/T

Treat - Coup De Grace

Mr. Big - What If...

Journey - Eclipse

The only CD I'd rate a 100% of the ones Andrew has is Treat - Coup De Grace :)

Some of the albums listed in the 100% club won't even make it to my 80%.

Andrew has rated numerous CD's below my ratings, White Widdow being one, which IMHO rates above 90%, a MUST BUY of 2010.

What all this shows is we all have differences in tastes......

However I've never disagreed with any of Andrew's bad ratings & it's unfortunate he's been placed in a position to do so as I get the feeling he doesn't enjoy rating albums badly.

I agree with John, there are quite a lot of overly rated on MR.com but mostly when Andrew said it's very good, I'll agree, and if it's bad, yup mostly I'm on the same page with him, at least more than 80% of his reviews are suit my taste.

Regarding 100%, I guess review is totally subjective, and don't forget that sometimes there's a slight conflict-of-interest between the reviewer and the particular artist, especially on sites like this where promotion should be favorable to the listed sponsors therefore a reviewer "must" put out an even better scoring than he honestly thought, or if that artist is his all-time-fave (maybe in this case Journey and Harem Scarem, so almost anything from these bands will be as high as the furthest sky from him).

Now for me personally, giving a disc 100% or 10/10 is simply if i love all the songs, i love tight the musicianship, lyric isn't very important but will be a big bonus, and the production. So from the above list, I'll give only Treat and W.E.T the solid 10. Some classic albums that deserved a 10 in my book are :

- AC/DC 'Back In Black'

- Crazy Lixx 'New Religion'

- Danger Danger 's/t'

- Dream Theater 'Scenes From A Memory'

- GNR 'Appetite For Destruction'

- H.E.A.T 's/t'

- Harem Scarem 's/t'

- Led Zeppelin 'IV'

- Motley Crue 'Shout At The Devil'

- RATT 'Detonator'

- Red Dawn 'Never Say Surrender'

- Tesla 'Mechanical Resonance'

- Vega 'Kiss of Life'

and still a lot out there :D

IMO no album is worth 100% - that means everything is perfect & nothing is perfect - there's always a guitar solo which could be better, a chorus more melodic or uplifting, a vocal which could be better.

Of Andrews albums the WET, HS and journey would around 90% ish, and a few in the 80s - I think I rated Treat about 87% last year - a fine album but again not without it's faults.

Cheers

I have a hard time rating anything a 100%. High 90's are used a lot. From Andrew's 100 list, I think the WEt was very high in my mind, maybe high 90's. One of the few cds that I think could not have been improved upon at the time was Queesryche - Operation Mindcrime. While I have a broad range of tastes, the heavier part of me thinks this is as near flawless of a cd I can think of.

Mike

I love most of Andrew's 100% list, with the exceptions of Mr. Big, Toto and the new Journey. I remember when giving out 100% was a once a year thing, now it seems every couple of months he's handing one out. Either the music is getting better or he's getting softer. My personal favs on his list are Treat -Coup De Grace and Harem Scarem - Weight Of The World, but I wouldn't give them 100% ratings....very close though.

If I had to give 100% ratings the ones that instanly come to mind are Dream Theater - Images And Words and Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime. My top 25 discs would all be in the high 90%, but 100% is flawless, I don't know if that will ever happen.

Quite simply put, if I love an album and there isnt a track on it that I dont like, then its a 100/100 album for me.

I really dont care if this song might have sounded even better if they did this or did that, if I love the song already.

Most of my 100 albums are from back in the day, to be honest, and only the rare few modern releases get a 100 song for me.

I'll grant you though, what I classify as a 100 album should not be used by other people to determine what is a great album as its all down to personal opinion, just as that MR.com list is just a matter of opinion (only two albums on that list that I think are great albums are the two D2 ones, and neither of them are 100's).

I think we all know that there are guys on here that would rate an album by someone like Pretty Boy Floyd, Motley Crue or Poison above the likes of Treat, WET or Mr Big, for example.

One mans diamond is another mans coal.

Mecca - S/T

Danger Danger-Cockroach

Harem Scarem- Higher

TNT- My Religion

Toto- Falling in Between

W.E.T. - S/T

Treat - Coup De Grace

Mr. Big - What If...

Journey - Eclipse

Not very many of these are worthy of a 100 rating imo. Honestly, Cockroach is the only one of these with no filler.

Btw, what is going on with mr.com? No updates all week...I miss my morning paper :)

Mecca - S/T

Danger Danger-Cockroach

Harem Scarem- Higher

TNT- My Religion

Toto- Falling in Between

W.E.T. - S/T

Treat - Coup De Grace

Mr. Big - What If...

Journey - Eclipse

Not very many of these are worthy of a 100 rating imo. Honestly, Cockroach is the only one of these with no filler.

Btw, what is going on with mr.com? No updates all week...I miss my morning paper :)

Andrew had a note over there I thought saying he'd been sick or something and it would be a week before he could get back at it.

Mecca - S/T

Danger Danger-Cockroach

Harem Scarem- Higher

TNT- My Religion

Toto- Falling in Between

W.E.T. - S/T

Treat - Coup De Grace

Mr. Big - What If...

Journey - Eclipse

Andrew had a note over there I thought saying he'd been sick or something and it would be a week before he could get back at it.

Oh ok, gotcha. Hope he gets well soon. Seems to be sick a lot these days. Hope all is okay?

I guess reviews are subjective and my biggest issue with the MR.com reviews is that they are all so high. Most CDs are over 80%. For me, maybe call me a traditionalist but anything over 80% is a must have CD. Anything over 90% is best in class or one of the few highlights of the year. 100%.... well I don't know if I have one in my collection, maybe Whitesnake 1987 or Dokken's Back for the Attack or Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King.... that's because on these CDs I love every song, love the guitars, the vibe, the vocals etc.... regardless 100% is a very special album, maybe only a few in a decade if that.

But we are all different and what we hear, or want to hear, or what we are looking for is completely unique. Like I said though the review scores are generally waaaaaay too high on the site.

Yep, totally agree mate.

I think 80% makes for a fantastic CD but recently, possibly because of what happens around me, I feel as though that's viewed as a really low score by comparison. :lol:

I'm also in the crowd that doesn't own what I believe to be a 100% disc. I'm not as hardcore as Glen and don't believe everything needs to be perfect, but I do think that for an album to be 100% every single song has to be a 10/10... no filler or even a question mark.

But, just to contradict that, I would rate Cauterize's CD this way - no song that I would not give 10/10, but I still don't think they're 100% perfect. 99% yes, but in those instances perhaps a slightly better lead vocal would get them to 100%. I dunno, there's always just that one thing that has kept any album, for me, getting that full 100%. Another example being Treat's 'Organized Crime.' I like 'No More Mr Heartache' but I don't believe an album with that song on it deserves 100%.

Please. Allow me run through this list:

IMO, of course;

Mecca - S/T ; not typically my style, but regardless of that fact - great first half, poor second half. A decent group of fillers to keep this around the 60-70% bracket for me.

Danger Danger-Cockroach ; in all honesty, this is about as close as it gets for me. I'd give the Ted version a solid 95-98%. 'Time in a bottle' places the Laine version a bit more under the mark.

Danger Danger- The Return of the Great Gildersleeves ; brilliant CD but no way in the world I could rate an album with 'Six Million Dollar Man' and 'My Secret' 100%. This'd sit around the 86-90% bracket for me.

Harem Scarem- Higher ; Love it again. 'Give It to You' keeps it out of the highest accolades, but I'd it this in the early 90's.

Harem Scarem- Weight of the World ; interlude, instrumental and a couple of fillers... love the CD but it'd sit in the mid-80's I reckon.

TNT- My Religion ; some absolutely stunning songs on this, but at least 4 fillers. Based on the strength of the great tracks, this would still sit close to the 90% mark for me.

Toto- Falling in Between ; absolute rubbish. Admittedly not my thing, but even looking at this objectively, it's just crap, imo. Wouldn't hit more than 10-20% for me personally. I think sometimes albums like this (and Journey) get an automatic 90% headstart based on name alone and then all they need to do is put in 10% effort and people will love it. ;)

W.E.T. - S/T ; another brilliant one. 'Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is' hold this back, but this would still rate in the early to mid 90's for me.

Treat - Coup De Grace ; 'Heaven Can Wait' and 'Breathless' are both good songs, but definitely not features of a 100% album. Another early 90's effort for me.

Mr. Big - What If... ; AT LEAST as many fillers here as good tracks, and even then the good tracks (aside from 'Undertow' and 'All the way' up aren't that great. I like moments on this, but couldn't honestly rate it more than 50-55%.

Journey - Eclipse ; rubbish again. People might mistake this as a vendetta I have against a heavily over-rated band, but I always give these guys a chance ; in fact, I loved the last CD. But again, fillers way outnumber the better tracks on this and based on a couple of spins, I couldn't possible give this more than 50%.

I think sometimes albums like this (and Journey) get an automatic 90% headstart based on name alone and then all they need to do is put in 10% effort and people will love it. ;)

Generally I agree with you but that statement is bollocks. It just depends on your taste. I personally really like quite a bit of the Toto back catalogue, but I do struggle with this album, but then I know people who absolutely love it. Easy as that.

i,ve would never give an album a headstart in rating on name alone. Also there have definitely been Journey albums which I didnt rate.....Trial By Fire is weakest Perry album by a long shot. Generations was generally (part from about 4 songs) pretty weak, and even the second half of Frontiers I dont rate that highly even though many Journey fans claim that to be their best album.

Clearly Toto and Journey are not your fav style never have been, but then you cant claim them to be 'overrated' cos many love them and with good reason.

Cheers

Clearly Toto and Journey are not your fav style never have been, but then you cant claim them to be 'overrated' cos many love them and with good reason.

But you could claim that of every band that anyone on here says are overrated or shit, whether it be Journey, Poison, Bon Jovi, Nickleback or whoever is currently under the microscope.

To Geoff and many people they are overrated, so by the same definition you cant claim them to not be overrated if many people hate them with what they think is good reason.

As you say, its all a matter of taste, but I do agree with Geoff that reviewers will often overlook flaws in an album if they are particular fans of a band. While I will be the first person to say a song by Motley Crue isnt up to snuff, at the same time I will probably give them more leeway than I would with another band, just purely because they are one of my favourite bands.

Yes, a turd is a turd, but I think diehard fans tend to be a bit more generous with bands they like, sometimes convincing themselves that a mediocre or good song is better than it is.

But you could claim that of every band that anyone on here says are overrated or shit, whether it be Journey, Poison, Bon Jovi, Nickleback or whoever is currently under the microscope.

To Geoff and many people they are overrated, so by the same definition you cant claim them to not be overrated if many people hate them with what they think is good reason.

As you say, its all a matter of taste, but I do agree with Geoff that reviewers will often overlook flaws in an album if they are particular fans of a band. While I will be the first person to say a song by Motley Crue isnt up to snuff, at the same time I will probably give them more leeway than I would with another band, just purely because they are one of my favourite bands.

Yes, a turd is a turd, but I think diehard fans tend to be a bit more generous with bands they like, sometimes convincing themselves that a mediocre or good song is better than it is.

Yeah OK, I guess to a person who doesnt like a certain band then yeah, by definition to them the band is overrated.

I cant vouch for Andrew, but I would hope that most reviewers are honest and fair in the summation of an album no matter what the band is. There is no way I would give favour to a band I like. As you say a turd is a turd and I would rightly comment on that on this board.

In terms of the 100% rating that Andrew gave to the last Journey album, I genuinely feel that he truly loves that album.....its as simple as that. I mean can he really claim to be that close to the band after the falling out they had over the JSS affair?? I dont think so??

Cheers

Yeah OK, I guess to a person who doesnt like a certain band then yeah, by definition to them the band is overrated.

I cant vouch for Andrew, but I would hope that most reviewers are honest and fair in the summation of an album no matter what the band is. There is no way I would give favour to a band I like. As you say a turd is a turd and I would rightly comment on that on this board.

In terms of the 100% rating that Andrew gave to the last Journey album, I genuinely feel that he truly loves that album.....its as simple as that. I mean can he really claim to be that close to the band after the falling out they had over the JSS affair?? I dont think so??

Cheers

Not to stray off topic here, but when you say "they" do you mena Andrew & Journey? What's the story with that? I remember when it was announced that JSS was the new singer, then all of a sudden he wasn't. I'd love to know the story behind that. I even read somewhere that Soto was given some hush money to keep quiet on what went down.

Cheers

Not to stray off topic here, but when you say "they" do you mena Andrew & Journey? What's the story with that? I remember when it was announced that JSS was the new singer, then all of a sudden he wasn't. I'd love to know the story behind that. I even read somewhere that Soto was given some hush money to keep quiet on what went down.

Journey wanted to regain thier "legacy sound" which I assume means the band wants someone as close as posible sounding like Steve Perry without that person being Steve Perry.

Clearly JSS doesnt sound like Steve but he definately was a great frontman for the band.

As long as a reviewer explains/describes a CD in detail, so everyone can make up their own mind, and is objective then that's good enough for me. I barely agree with any of those discs on the 100% list from MR.com but Andrew always give a great and objective review IMO which helps me decide whether to buy the album or not. And that should be the point. It's always one man's opinion, but if it helps you in the buying process then that's all you can ask. For me the rating is a little irrelevant, as I personally can't see how most of these discs got 100%, but it's more about the commentary. The new Journey disc is not a 100% album for me, but I respect his review of it regardless as it gave such a good insight into the disc. Compare this with the kind of garbage reviews you have to read in Powerplay or other shite magazines where it's amateur-hour every issue...

Cheers

Well purely based on what ive read (and of course the real truth may never come out), I believe that Andrew was fairly instrumental in hooking up JSS with Journey in their hour of need (ie mid tour with a singer past his best and huge allegations of miming/click tape use). So when they dumped him post tour and before the revelation album I guess that put a strain on any possible relationship.

These were my scores for those perfect albums...

Mecca - S/T (70%)

Danger Danger-Cockroach (96%)

Danger Danger- The Return of the Great Gildersleeves (60%)

Harem Scarem- Higher (95%)

Harem Scarem- Weight of the World (85%)

TNT- My Religion (80%)

Toto- Falling in Between (70%)

W.E.T. - S/T (85%)

Treat - Coup De Grace (90%)

Mr. Big - What If... (40%)

Journey - Eclipse (80%)

These were my scores for those perfect albums...

Mecca - S/T (70%)

Danger Danger-Cockroach (96%)

Danger Danger- The Return of the Great Gildersleeves (60%)

Harem Scarem- Higher (95%)

Harem Scarem- Weight of the World (85%)

TNT- My Religion (80%)

Toto- Falling in Between (70%)

W.E.T. - S/T (85%)

Treat - Coup De Grace (90%)

Mr. Big - What If... (40%)

Journey - Eclipse (80%)

Your scores for D2 - Gildersleeves and TNT were too low, otherwise I agree with the rest.

A 100% perfecto album I have yet to hear, although I have heard some that get very very close to my idea of it over the years. Of the list of discs above, non, except Toto, come close - some around the mid 80's mark (W.E.T, Treat the 2 HS discs and maybe the new Journey after a few more spins). Toto's 'Falling In Between' disc for me, is one of the finest 'Rock' albums this decade so far. I raved about it when It came out and I still stand by my words now. It's not for everyone, as has clearly been stated, but the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.