Mr. Big - What If

zacharyamelie

The new song sounds great. Never been a Big fan of Mr. Big, but they have released some great material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zit9TQADS6o

I also loved the track they released last year Next Time Around, I wish that one would be on the new one, it was only on the band's last Best Of.

Where is the electric drill dammit!?!??!

Kinda off-topic, but Daddy, Lover, Brother, Little Boy.mp3 got me booted from P2P networks many times - probably because I gave the album cover jpg the same title.

'Undertow' is exactly what I wanted to hear from them...Modern but super catchy and totally rockin'. It's the first time I've been so wired up about a new album in a LONG time.

www.wishingwellonline.com

www.facebook.com/Roger.Pamachena

This Sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear the rest.

Oh man, that is great. I'm with many in that Mr Big never really did much for me either, but there is no doubt they're incredible musicians and this track delivers. Love that guitar riff and what and awesome solo too.

The amount of time and effort that Paul Gilbert has wasted on worthless albums is a shame. It's awesome to hear him in a good place again. I'm actually really keen to hear this new disc. Good on them for getting back together too. Nice.

• My Little Pony

It's a very updated and modern sounding record in many ways, but not enough to put off any fan. Undertow is mid-tempo....add 2 ballads and 10 rockers (half updated, half classic MB sound) and you have What If. I'm stunned!

I'm impatient!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard this one over the weekend. Not too bad. It's definitely a Mr Big CD. Which means you have some absolutely useless fillers, and a decent amount of them... but you also have a few cool tracks. 'Undertow' is definitely one of the highlights, 'Stranger In My Life' is a decent ballad and there's a pretty good streak from tracks 7-10. 'All the way up' is especially great.

However, the closer is horrible, stuff like 'American Beauty', 'Nobody Takes The Blame', 'Still Ain't Enough For Me' and 'Once upon a time' ranges from poor to outright awful. In the end you probably have a couple more good tracks than shit ones so it's not too bad. As I said, pretty much what you expect from Mr Big. Kind of nice, though, as it's been a while for the original line-up. Gilbert's guitarwork is amazing to hear again too. :)

Heard this one over the weekend. Not too bad. It's definitely a Mr Big CD. Which means you have some absolutely useless fillers, and a decent amount of them... but you also have a few cool tracks. 'Undertow' is definitely one of the highlights, 'Stranger In My Life' is a decent ballad and there's a pretty good streak from tracks 7-10. 'All the way up' is especially great.

However, the closer is horrible, stuff like 'American Beauty', 'Nobody Takes The Blame', 'Still Ain't Enough For Me' and 'Once upon a time' ranges from poor to outright awful. In the end you probably have a couple more good tracks than shit ones so it's not too bad. As I said, pretty much what you expect from Mr Big. Kind of nice, though, as it's been a while for the original line-up. Gilbert's guitarwork is amazing to hear again too. :)

Ha, not surprised by those comments from you....not listened to this in any great detail yet, but on first flick it seemed like a very hard hitting album where the emphasis was on the musicianship rather than hooks......which isnt your bag at all.

I can see a few others on here raving about this album tho so will either be a love it or hate it affair me thinks.........

I'm like Geoff when it comes to Mr.Big, they have some great tunes ('Green Tinted 60's Mind' is an all time fav of mine)but they have a crap load of fillers, even on their 'best of' they have obvious fillers. 'What If' is no exception. I always thought that they were great players, but not so strong on the song writing and hooks. This release reminds me of last years Chickenfoot release, everyone sayed that one ROCKED!!! and the playing was great, but nothing stayed with me and I stopped listing to it after a week. I won't be buying the new Mr. Big, but still respect the band, love the lead off single, but they just aren't something I really want to listen to.

I've always been lukewarm to Mr. Big, yet somehow I've ended up owning almost all of their albums. "Undertow" is a pretty cool track so I am looking forward to cheeking this out.

On a side note, anyone know if Eric Martin has ever covered any Dio songs? With his voice I think he would sound pretty cool doing some Dio tracks.

it seemed like a very hard hitting album where the emphasis was on the musicianship rather than hooks......which isnt your bag at all.

Not when there are a thousand bands that can easily combine the two. ;) Never understood why it was either one or the other when it came to Mr Big. Only a fool would question the amazing level of musicianship you'll find in Mr Big... it's just a shame it never translated into a complete album songwise too.

"Undertow" is the best song and I have to admit I'm slightly dissapointed overall after one spin with the whole disc. As some others have said the music is very good but there's not that many great songs but maybe it's a grower. There had been some talk about this being another 'Lean Into It' but it's more like the Self titled disc but not as good IMO.

• 7 years later...

Like some here, Mr. Big were more a fringe band for me.

Happy to hear some catchy tunes, but I never rushed out and bought the CD on the day it was released.

For this reason I kind of missed this release as well as Actual Size.

Since the release of Defying Gravity I've gone back to check out the stuff I missed.