The Walking Dead

Fat Freddy

American Movie Classics is closing out their annual Halloween "Fear Fest" with the premiere of their latest original series, a zombie-apocalypse epic called "The Walking Dead" ... anybody else stoked for this? It looks kick ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE

It's based on a series of graphic novels (unread by me) and was directed by Frank ("The Shawshank Redemption," "The Green Mile") Darabont. I love his stuff and this definitely appears to be a cool, action packed, creepy good time.

AMC has a pretty good track record with original series (How many Emmies have "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" racked up by now?), and this looks like it will carry on that tradition.

The first episode (90 minutes) will premiere at 10 PM on Halloween night. As Homer Simpson would say, "looks like gooooood watchin'." :homer:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAMN!! :popcorn: I love a good zombie show/movie. As long as it doesnt get real stupid and ridicules. This looks pretty good. Have to really wait and see if they can keep a good story line going. I mean killin zombies is cool. But just doing show after show with no real story happening will get boring fast. ;)

DAMN!! :popcorn: I love a good zombie show/movie. As long as it doesnt get real stupid and ridicules. This looks pretty good. Have to really wait and see if they can keep a good story line going. I mean killin zombies is cool. But just doing show after show with no real story happening will get boring fast. ;)

Yea, if it's not handled correctly I could see how it might get repetitive really quick, but from what I gather, each book of the graphic novel series it's based on took place in a different locale, with a new set of characters, dealing with the zombie outbreak. So it can go pretty much anywhere.

I believe that the first "season" (6 episodes) of the show will adapt the first volume of the graphic novel. Whether or not it goes on from there will depend on the ratings, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

AMC has been pimping the HELL out of this show during its "Fear Fest" horror movie marathons... I have a feeling it's going to be quite huge.

The TV critic for our newspaper gave the premiere episode a rave review in today's paper. He sez it's likely "the goriest thing ever to air on commercial television." Gnarly!

I watched the premiere and it was BAD ASS!

Yes it was. Right when he found that horse on that farm you just knew that the horse would meet and unfortunate end to it's life. And that scene of those zombies eating the horse was very graphic.

Yes it was. Right when he found that horse on that farm you just knew that the horse would meet and unfortunate end to it's life. And that scene of those zombies eating the horse was very graphic.

Yeah, my wife and I were like, "Ooooohh, that poor horse!"

I own all 12 of the Walking Dead graphic novels. It is one of the few graphic novel series I actually buy. It is a great series and very character driven believe it or not! So, needless to say I was pretty stoked to see what AMC did with it as a television series. And, I must say I was not disappointed. So far they're staying pretty close to the books which does not happen much these days. The production values seemed pretty solid as well. And I'm glad to see they're not pulling any punches with the violence either. After that pilot epidsode, I'm hooked and will stick around to see what the television series continues to bring.

P.S. For Jeff, AMC does have their channel in HD. That's how I watched it last night. For me in Florida, it was like channel 1055 or something on my cable provider, but it does exist.

I watched the premiere last night as well - awesome!! I just hope I can remember to keep watching, I have a heck of a time following a series on tv for some reason.

That part where he wakes up in the hospital and he's just in a gown and barefoot gave me the creeps bigtime. I wanted to yell "put some shoes on at least to outrun whatever is behind that door!". Then when he goes around the corner on the horse and that whole horde is there, oh shit! And then trapped under that tank! Good stuff!

I own all 12 of the Walking Dead graphic novels. It is one of the few graphic novel series I actually buy. It is a great series and very character driven believe it or not! So, needless to say I was pretty stoked to see what AMC did with it as a television series. And, I must say I was not disappointed. So far they're staying pretty close to the books which does not happen much these days. The production values seemed pretty solid as well. And I'm glad to see they're not pulling any punches with the violence either. After that pilot epidsode, I'm hooked and will stick around to see what the television series continues to bring.

P.S. For Jeff, AMC does have their channel in HD. That's how I watched it last night. For me in Florida, it was like channel 1055 or something on my cable provider, but it does exist.

Hmmm, I'll have to look further into that, because DirecTV was not in HD and the local cable wasn't either. Good to know because zombies in HD is a must! :D

A very interesting interview with Walking Dead comic creator Robert Kirkman (WARNING: SPOILERS):

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/01/walking-dead-amc-pilot-kirkman/

One comment I found very interesting; Kirkland makes it point to say that the show may not follow the comic exactly. There will be some storylines from the comic that weren't developed very much that will get much more attention on the show.

What the fuck did I miss? Last night was the first episode right? I only seen up to the part with the guy who couldn't shoot his wife..Did I turn the t.v. off too soon?

Fuck!

It was a 90 min episode.. :doh:

I shouldn't laugh, but I will, a little... :quagmire:

I totally see how you could miss that. I happened to see it was 90 minutes and thought that was really weird. Either do 1 hour or a 2 hour, but 90 minutes? I'm sure you could just read somewhere about the last 30 minutes and be just fine but if you can the horse scene in Atlanta was very creepy cool. And I actually got a little tense at the tank scene as Rick mentioned above.

What the fuck did I miss? Last night was the first episode right? I only seen up to the part with the guy who couldn't shoot his wife..Did I turn the t.v. off too soon?

Fuck!

I totally see how you could miss that. I happened to see it was 90 minutes and thought that was really weird. Either do 1 hour or a 2 hour, but 90 minutes? I'm sure you could just read somewhere about the last 30 minutes and be just fine but if you can the horse scene in Atlanta was very creepy cool. And I actually got a little tense at the tank scene as Rick mentioned above.

They will probably replay this everyday until the new one next sunday so set your DVR.

• My Little Pony

Fuck!

They will probably replay this everyday until the new one next sunday so set your DVR.

Or just download them... no commercials... I don't watch T.V. any other way...

Fuck!

Or just download them... no commercials... I don't watch T.V. any other way...

Yeah I had to download it after trying to record it and getting the last 30 minutes and the first 30 minutes of it in that order....

Episode #2 was even more good gory violent fun. When the sheriff chopped up that zombie so he could cover himself and the other guy with guts & goo in order to "smell dead," I thought my wife was gonna ralph. :rofl2:

Episode #2 was even more good gory violent fun. When the sheriff chopped up that zombie so he could cover himself and the other guy with guts & goo in order to "smell dead," I thought my wife was gonna ralph. :rofl2:

Yup that was sick and twisted and nasty for sure especially for AMC.

Plus the sex scene was something you wouldn't expect on AMC either.