Top 30 Modern Rock CDs (Or non HH CDs)

Geoff

Hey guys,

Thought we'd danced around this issue before, and I know there have been fave band lists and all that... but what are the top 30 (or 10, or 20, whatever you want) modern rock albums you've put in your ears.

Was just playing around with my collection spreadsheet and here's a give or take a couple of positions kind of list of what I came up with:

1. Cauterize - So far from real

2. Cauterize - Paper wings / Disguises (same album bar 4 and 1/2 tracks)

3. Yellowcard - Paper walls

4. A Change Of Pace - Prepare the masses

5. Silly Fools - The one

6. Hinder - Take it to the limit

7. SR-71 - here we go again

8. Boys Like Girls - Love drunk

9. Story of the Year - In the wake of determination

10. SR-71 - tomorrow

11. Hedley - s/t

12. Monty Are I - Break through the silence

13. The Sunstreak - Once upon a lie

14. SR-71 - now you see inside

15. Funeral For A Friend - Tales don't tell themselves

16. Marvellous 3 - ready sex go

17. Anberlin - Never take friendship personal

18. Butch Walker - left of self-centered

19. Hinder - Extreme behaviour

20. Papa Roach - The paramour sessions

21. Saosin - s/t

22. Disciple - Scars remain

23. Faber Drive - Seven second surgery

24. Motor Ace - five star laundry

25. Kid Courageous - Dear diary

26. Houston Calls - A collection of short stories

27. Donots - pocketrock

28. Just Surrender - We're in like sin

29. Just Surrender - If these streets could talk

30. Forever The Sickest Kids - Underdog alpha mater

And the honourable mentions:

Quietdrive - Deliverence

Mayday Parade - Anywhere but here

Story of the Year - The black swan

Summerhero - Sound canvas

Story of the Year - The Constant

Jamisonparker - s/t

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Thought we'd danced around this issue before, and I know there have been fave band lists and all that... but what are the top 30 (or 10, or 20, whatever you want) modern rock albums you've put in your ears.

Was just playing around with my collection spreadsheet and here's a give or take a couple of positions kind of list of what I came up with:

5. Silly Fools - The one

10. SR-71 - tomorrow

11. Hedley - s/t

21. Saosin - s/t

27. Donots - pocketrock

Quietdrive - Deliverence

Jamisonparker - s/t

Surprised that the other 2 SOTY arent in there mate.....The Black Swan pretty much muders anything in your 20-30 range!

My list would be pretty similar to the one I posted in the 'decade' thread, as most modern rock pre 2000 was pretty shite .

Cheers

Hey guys,

5. Silly Fools - The one

10. SR-71 - tomorrow

11. Hedley - s/t

21. Saosin - s/t

27. Donots - pocketrock

Quietdrive - Deliverence

Jamisonparker - s/t

Surprised that the other 2 SOTY arent in there mate.....The Black Swan pretty much muders anything in your 20-30 range!

Cheers

Backed. The YELLOWCARD is the only one in the Top 10 that runs "The Black Swan" even close IMO. Will put my list together....

updated -

1. Pete Lesperance/Fairground - Down In It

2. Bulletproof Messenger - The Crucial Line

3. Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal

4. Hinder - Take It To The Limit

5. Story Of The Year - The Black Swan (inc bonus tracks)

6. Story Of The Year - The Constant

7. A Change Of Pace - Prepare The Masses

8. Skillet - Comatose

9. Papa Roach - The Paramour Sessions

10. Story Of The Year - In The Wake Of Determination

11. Hinder - Extreme Behaviour

12. Shinedown - The Sound Of Madness

13. Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence

14. Coldrain - Final Destination

15. Disciple - Scars Remain

16. Skillet - Awake

17. Alter Bridge - Blackbird

18. Nural - Entitlement

19. Blind - s/t

20. Puddle Of Mudd - Come Clean

I think what that list tells me is that there are about 5-10 modern rock acts who are in a league of their own and the rest trail an awfully long way behind!

IMO

For me to compile a list of 30 "modern rock" released would be next to impossible... Not because of the choices, but because I don't have even close to 30 that I consider that good.

The first 3 would be easy:

SR-71 ~ "Here We Go Again"

SR-71 ~ Tomorrow"

SR-71 ~ "Here We Go Again"

After that maybe:

Good Charlotte

LIT

~ That's all I got ~ :bananamac:

I don't really find that many so-called "modern rock" releases appeal to me.

I have had someone tell me I might like The Donots... but, to be honest, I've never heard them or even bothered to try.

To be honest, SOTY was my main concern. They're so damn hard to place. Because although I think they are pretty much incapable of writing a bad song, the best tracks on a lot of those albums I listed above them really blow me away. I can listen to the last two SOTY albums in full and love every track, but on the same hand I hear very few tracks that really make me want to get up and smash stuff because they blow me away so much. 'Message to the World' would be the only song from the last two albums that gets me in that frame of mind, whereas the majority of 'In The Wake of Determination' gets me in that way. NO disrespect at all as they are flawless... but also, in my humble opinion, not quite as, dare I say "spectacular" as some of the ones I ranked higher. For the record, I'd rate every single CD I mentioned over 85% so it's by no means saying SOTY don't deliver.

On the other hand, completely blown away by how high you rate Bulletproof Messenger, Glen (while we're on SOTY... above ALL SOTY albums?!). That's about the only modern rock band you dig that I just really don't get. Good debut, but it just doesn't rank anywhere in the scheme of things with me. But then again, you think the same of Funeral for a Friend or Boys Like Girls... so they're just our differences I guess. :)

Did you guys really give that Silly Fools album a proper listen? I know you only got the MP3's so probably misplaced or discarded them... but that is truly one of the most magnificent slabs of modern rock imaginable.

And Dave, the 2 Donots albums 'Pocketrock' and 'Amplify the good times' are really fantastic. Probably impossible to hate them as a fan of SR-71, but being a German band they're not too easy to come by. Well, well worth it, though, if you can find those two albums. No need to bother with the rest of them.

Speaking of German bands, that Blind - s/t disc would be the next one I'd list if I kept going.

Well, you know I love that debut Bulletproof Messenger.

Really like the rock / sample crossover.

Also 'Bring Me To Life' (bordering on AOR styled chorus), 'Heavenly Answer', 'DTD' (absolutely killer and probably my fav modern rock song...almost HS sounding to these ears...in fact I would have loved to hear HS cover this song..would have been awesome!) and 'Crucial Line' are all as good if not better than any song SOTY have written IMHO.

Add to that the fact that there is no real filler on the debut and there you have it. Top disc.

Great list of bands there and loads that I'm gonna check out.

For my list I'll try and put 10 in order (I'm terrible at ordering things), but I'm sure I've missed some out or will end up changing the order. Oh and I've kept to one album per band:

1. Marvelous 3 - Ready Sex Go

2. Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal

3. Butch Walker - Left Of Self-Centered

4. DramaGods - Love

5. Endeverafter - Kiss Or Kill

6. SR-71 - Here We Go Again

7. Waltham - S/T

8. Bullets And Octane - In The Mouth Of The Young

9. Beautiful Creatures - S/T

10. Silvertide - Show And Tell

Honorable mentions:

Lynam - Slave To The Machine

Pierce The Veil - A Flair For The Dramatic

Damone - Out Here All Night

Saosin - S/T

Alter Bridge - Blackbird

Eve 6 - Horrorscope

The Ga-Gas - Tonight The Midway Shines

Head Automatica - Popaganda

July For Kings - Swim

Sevendust - Animosity

The Exies - Inertia

Alexisonfire - Watch Out!

Lit - A Place In The Sun

Hmm... really do feel like I'll have to revisit this list at a later date

Hmmm, will have to check out DramaGods - Love. Is that one common at all? Just had a quick look and couldn't find it on Secondspin. :(

Hmmm, will have to check out DramaGods - Love. Is that one common at all? Just had a quick look and couldn't find it on Secondspin. :(

It's was Nuno Bettencourt's band before he Extreme reformed. It was only released in Japan I believe, but I think the album is available for download on Amazon. You can check out samples here: http://www.myspace.com/dramagods or youtube. It took a while to grow on me, but it's definitely not for everyone.

BTW, I have So Far From Real and Disguises by Cauterize (both great, albums but I'm not a big fan of the vocals even though I usually have a high tolerance for bad vocals) so is it worth checking out Paper Wings for the tracks that aren't on Disguises? Oh and I forgot to mention Step Outside Yourself by Over It is another great pop rock album!

BTW, I have So Far From Real and Disguises by Cauterize (both great, albums but I'm not a big fan of the vocals even though I usually have a high tolerance for bad vocals)

:popcorn:

BTW, I have So Far From Real and Disguises by Cauterize (both great, albums but I'm not a big fan of the vocals even though I usually have a high tolerance for bad vocals)

:popcorn:

:) Yeah, reading that back I kinda stuck my foot in my mouth there! I believe what I was trying to say (and failed to eloquently put) is that the vocals aren't to my particular taste.

I give up, someone find me an emoticon for "keep digging." :anon:

Wow lots and lots of bands mentioned here that I've never heard of! Very curious.

I wouldn't have a list per se but Ready Sex Go, Waltham - Permission To Build, Comatose and Scott Sudbury would be some of my favs.

Oh and the Tsar debut was pretty good as well.

Hey Geoff (and others),

Here is one you might like... Not sure if you are familiar with them or not. This is the band that Mitch (SR-71) has been working with a lot as of late. Another band from the Baltimore area.

http://www.myspace.com/alltimelow

It's was Nuno Bettencourt's band before he Extreme reformed. It was only released in Japan I believe, but I think the album is available for download on Amazon. You can check out samples here: http://www.myspace.com/dramagods or youtube. It took a while to grow on me, but it's definitely not for everyone.

BTW, I have So Far From Real and Disguises by Cauterize (both great, albums but I'm not a big fan of the vocals even though I usually have a high tolerance for bad vocals) so is it worth checking out Paper Wings for the tracks that aren't on Disguises? Oh and I forgot to mention Step Outside Yourself by Over It is another great pop rock album!

Hmm, Nuno, hey? I'll check out those samples at home, but I won't get my expectations up too high. I have a very low tolerance for everything I've heard from him thus far. And if it's a grower and not for everyone, not sure it'll win me over. :lol:

Ah, Cauterize. You're probably asking the wrong person mate, because I'd say GET IT!!! But to be sensible, not sure if it's worth it for you. As far as I understand it's pretty hard to get these days, and as you're essentially paying for a 5 song EP it's up to you mate. All I can say, is if you like the other 2 discs you will no doubt like the 4 other songs. A quick rundown of the songs on 'Paper Wings' that did not feature on 'Disguises':

1. "My Favorite Patient" ; classic Cauterize. Uptempo, super catchy chorus, brutal, amazing pierce-you-soul style lyrics. If you love anything off 'Disguises' this will be a joy.

2. "Skin For Scars" ; probably the one song from 'Paper Wings' that I would have been at peace with them exchanging. I thought this was the weakest song on 'Paper Wings' but a lower rated Cauterize song is like a lower rated blowjob... compared to the rest it may not shine as much but on it's own it's still a marvel. Another heavy track, more great lyrics.

3. "Why This Last Dance" ; someone should have been arrested for cutting this track. Another Cauterize "ballad" which is why I guess they left it off, but if you can make it through this without your flesh being covered with chills you're a stronger man than I. Without doubt, one of the most heart-wrenching, most beautifully written tunes I have ever heard. The lyrics will eat you alive. This would make my top 10 songs of all time list without a doubt.

4. "Feel" ; cool tune, with some great, dark lyrics. Like 'My favourite patient' it's another uptempo number with a big catchy chorus. Surprised they left these two off as they were both quite lively ones. I really love this song and the evil lyrics.

5. "Paper Wings" (acoustic) ; you know the song, but this is the full acoustic version of it. If you don't like his vocals you will prefer the electric version. ;)

So in conclusion, yeah, I'd say buy it. If you can find it. Let me know how you go and I'll upload the 5 songs for you if you want. 'Closer' was also re-recorded for 'Disguises' and you can hear a few slight differences between the 2 versions. The other songs were just re-mastered.

Wow lots and lots of bands mentioned here that I've never heard of! Very curious.

I wouldn't have a list per se but Ready Sex Go, Waltham - Permission To Build, Comatose and Scott Sudbury would be some of my favs.

Oh and the Tsar debut was pretty good as well.

Cool list, mate. Waltham is not far off my list. Some cool tunes on both Tsar albums as well as the Scott Sudbury disc. I like all of them... and 'Comatose' too, even if I prefer 'Awake'. :)

Hey Geoff (and others),

Here is one you might like... Not sure if you are familiar with them or not. This is the band that Mitch (SR-71) has been working with a lot as of late. Another band from the Baltimore area.

http://www.myspace.com/alltimelow

Yeah mate, love All Time Low. Just saw them at Soundwave too and they were great live. I think I did notice a song or two co-written or produced by Mitch on the last CD. Will double check my booklet again when I get home.

Mmm, I love Awake, but IMO 'Comatose' is better.

To be honest I'd have to play them back to back to say once and for all 100% either way, but I think I prefer 'Awake'. I'll do the back to back test and get back to this.

Mmm, I love Awake, but IMO 'Comatose' is better.

To be honest I'd have to play them back to back to say once and for all 100% either way, but I think I prefer 'Awake'. I'll do the back to back test and get back to this.

Both are great albums and Comatose knocked me out when I first heard it at work.

Up until then I dind't even rate Skillet.

Mars Hill - Sink Or Swim another solid modern rock album!

Hmm, Nuno, hey? I'll check out those samples at home, but I won't get my expectations up too high. I have a very low tolerance for everything I've heard from him thus far. And if it's a grower and not for everyone, not sure it'll win me over. :lol:

Ah, Cauterize. You're probably asking the wrong person mate, because I'd say GET IT!!! But to be sensible, not sure if it's worth it for you. As far as I understand it's pretty hard to get these days, and as you're essentially paying for a 5 song EP it's up to you mate. All I can say, is if you like the other 2 discs you will no doubt like the 4 other songs. A quick rundown of the songs on 'Paper Wings' that did not feature on 'Disguises':

1. "My Favorite Patient" ; classic Cauterize. Uptempo, super catchy chorus, brutal, amazing pierce-you-soul style lyrics. If you love anything off 'Disguises' this will be a joy.

2. "Skin For Scars" ; probably the one song from 'Paper Wings' that I would have been at peace with them exchanging. I thought this was the weakest song on 'Paper Wings' but a lower rated Cauterize song is like a lower rated blowjob... compared to the rest it may not shine as much but on it's own it's still a marvel. Another heavy track, more great lyrics.

3. "Why This Last Dance" ; someone should have been arrested for cutting this track. Another Cauterize "ballad" which is why I guess they left it off, but if you can make it through this without your flesh being covered with chills you're a stronger man than I. Without doubt, one of the most heart-wrenching, most beautifully written tunes I have ever heard. The lyrics will eat you alive. This would make my top 10 songs of all time list without a doubt.

4. "Feel" ; cool tune, with some great, dark lyrics. Like 'My favourite patient' it's another uptempo number with a big catchy chorus. Surprised they left these two off as they were both quite lively ones. I really love this song and the evil lyrics.

5. "Paper Wings" (acoustic) ; you know the song, but this is the full acoustic version of it. If you don't like his vocals you will prefer the electric version. ;)

So in conclusion, yeah, I'd say buy it. If you can find it. Let me know how you go and I'll upload the 5 songs for you if you want. 'Closer' was also re-recorded for 'Disguises' and you can hear a few slight differences between the 2 versions. The other songs were just re-mastered.

Awesome, thanks for the track by track run down dude - very helpful! Tracking down a copy of Paper Wings ain't the easiest thing to do, but I'll keep looking (I'm gonna try and pick up that acoustic EP too). Please do upload those songs, definitely wanna check 'em out. :tumbsup:

Ytseman: agree, Tsar's debut is another good 'un, but wasn't too impressed by the follow up.

Yeah have seen Tsar's follow up several times and passed as it was terrible.

Will I be lynched if I mentioned Daughtry? 2 great albums IMO but not sure what the masses think.

Tonic - Sugar anyone?

Yeah have seen Tsar's follow up several times and passed as it was terrible.

Will I be lynched if I mentioned Daughtry? 2 great albums IMO but not sure what the masses think.

Tonic - Sugar anyone?

When I actually finally got the second TSAR album I expected it to be so bad after what everyone said, but I kind of liked it. Definitely going to hold on to both CDs... even if the debut is the better of the two.

Nah, most people here like Daughtry, both discs. Even though all the better songs from album two ended up as bonus tracks.

Tonic have about 10 fillers for every good song, imo.

I like alot from everyone's lists

Here are my top Modern Hard Rock releases of the past 10 years 2000-2009

1.) Waltham - s/t

2.) Marvelous 3 - Ready, Sex, Go

3.) Hinder - Take It To The Limit

4.) Story Of The Year - The Black Swan

5.) Shinedown - The Sound Of Madness

6.) RA - Duality

7.) Anberlin - Cities (I got this before even knowing about NTFP, so it has a sweet spot for me. Although I can understand why more enjoy NTFP, it does kick ass. I also enjoy New Surrender, but have sorta grown tired of the Anberlin sound.)

8.) Heaven Below - Countdown To Devil

9.) Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence

10.)Thriving Ivory (pussy rock, yet killer songs)

Damn 3,4,5 and 10 are from 2008, a great year.

So far this year I love the new SOTY and Taking Dawn (although I'm having a tough time calling the Taking Dawn modern rock, sorta like Hinder's Take It To The Limit and Heaven Below's Countdown To Devil.

Why is it that I love Hinder's Take It To The Limit but loathe Extreme Behaviour?

Very different albums. The first one really seems to highlight the awful vocals, the way the songs were written. But I don't know, the songs and hooks still sound excellent to me and I love the disc.

'Take it to the limit' is pretty much pure 80's hard rock, though, and a lot of the emphasis is taken away from the vocals, I find... and you just enjoy huge 80's rock anthems.

Also, because 'Lips of an angel' was so huge I think people probably got tired of that song and the band, whereas no one ever noticed 'Take it to the limit' and there was no overkill or hype surrounding it. Well, at least not here in Australia, anyway. I don't even think there was a single from it. I think I heard that ballad on the radio once and that was it.