Soundwave 2009

Geoff

Okay guys, for those into some modern rock and interested in how Soundwave 2009 in Sydney was, here are a collection of my thoughts on the day:

As I only really have one negative issue with the whole day I guess it’s best to get it out of the way first. Because I wanted to see one of the first bands on for the day, I arrived at the venue at 10:50am. First band went on stage at 12:00pm and gates were meant to open at 11:00am so I thought I’d done well. Parking was great and so was venue. But whoever was in charge of entry to the festival is a brain dead moron. I’d guess there were probably tens of thousands of people, all squeezing through approx. 6 entry gates. And the gates opened at 11:30am (half an hour late - 10,000+ people squeezing through 6 gates to make it inside by 12:00pm - someone's mathematics was f*cked!), so the first few bands were never a chance for anyone. Also, no signs for the box office collection, so in the end I got through the gate, had to go back to box office (cutting horizontally through 10,000 hungry kids) and back through the gate... resulting in me getting through the gate at about 1:30pm – 2 and1/2 hours after I got there!!! It was a cruel f*cking joke, and resulted in me missing one and a half bands I really wanted to see.

But anyway, to the day. Here are the bands I in some way saw (or heard as I waited outside) throughout the day:

Madina Lake (heard from outside the gate)

Less Than Jake (heard from outside the gate)

Silverstein

The Subways (caught a couple of songs between sets)

Forever the Sickest Kids

Underoath

Anberlin

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

Finch

Dillinger Escape Plan (caught a couple of songs between sets)

Funeral for a Friend

Billy Talent (caught a couple of songs between sets)

Houston Calls

New Found Glory

Alice in Chains (caught a couple of songs between sets)

I am the Avalanche (caught a couple of songs between sets)

Alkaline Trio

From First to Last

Lamb of God (caught a couple of songs on the way out)

And here’s my thoughts on each one:

Madina Lake (heard from outside the gate) ; bitterly disappointed I missed these guys as they were one of the big drawcards for me. They sounded good from where I was boiling with anger from outside the gates, but seriously how much can you gauge from out there? Would really have loved to see them. Set list seemed good, with the new song included too. Apparently they were here last year, so maybe I'll see them next year.

Less Than Jake (heard from outside the gate) ; I wasn’t going to see these guys at all but as their stage was closest to the gates we all heard them. I don’t mind a couple of their songs, but all I could hear was that f*cking trombone over most songs. When the brass wasn’t there they sounded okay, but overall I didn’t like what I heard at all.

Silverstein ; Because of the f*ck up at the gate I missed about 10mins of their set and was pretty disappointed about it, until last night when I bit the bullet and bought a ticket to Silverstein/Anberlin/Finch/Chiodos this Wednesday night (tomorrow night). When I arrived they were kicking rear end. Enjoyed a spiel from the lead singer aimed at security which was good fun, but the band was one of the top ones I saw all day. Probably my favourite guitarist too, with some sensational rhythm guitar work. Great set list, amazing performance. Couldn’t even begin to find a single fault with their set... other than it wasn’t long enough.

The Subways (heard a few songs between sets) ; Not musically a band I was into at all – they were some UK punk band – but the lead singer was entertaining and the female guitarist sounded pretty sweet too. They were a good fill-in band. Even if I was into the music at all.

Forever the Sickest Kids ; absolutely loved these guys. I did feel gay because it’s like watching a cheesy high school party band, but they know their craft. Much heavier live than on disc and again, they sounded awesome. I laughed at the keyboard player, but if only I’d known then what I’d see later. That guy was actually the "coolest" keyboard player I saw all day. Anyway, my only tiny, miniature disappointment with the set was that it seemed like it flew by in seconds and they wasted one song with a cover of ‘Men In Black’, which was actually kind of cool, but a waste, imo. Either way, great (cheesy) show. Thank cripes the hooks on the CD translated to the live show too.

Underoath ; These guys did nothing for me. Lots of screaming, nothing to sink my teeth into. Not sure if it’s ‘cause Anberlin were setting up on the next stage and were interfering with the sound (using same speakers as Underoath) or what, but the music often sounded out of time. The songs were just stale to me. The keyboard player was by far the funniest thing I saw all day. A fat dude with a bowl hair cut, dancing around, slamming his head and playing those keys like he actually had a legit role in the band. He was a trainwreck – a cringe a minute. But a mighty good belly laugh. The message from the singer at the end of the set about them playing for the love of the music and the fans, but mostly for Jesus Christ and then a little spiel about what Jesus has apparently done for him to save his life and encouraging others for find Jesus too – that was another put-off. He started off his little sermon saying, "I know you guys don't want to hear this on a day like today..." and he was right. Overall, these guys did not even remotely win me over as a new fan.

Anberlin ; Jeebers Christ. These guys were f*cking amazing. My favourite band/set of the day. Flawless set-list and flawless execution. They played both 'Godspeed' and ‘The Resistance’, which both just sounded amazing - especially 'The Resistance'. Blew the place apart and hearing the album version again today, it is 100% a different song live - just HUGE. ‘Feel good drag’ was there... again, absolutely NOTHING I can fault about these guys. 'Breaking' sounded stunning. But one of the highlights for me was a head shattering version of 'Dismantle Repair', which is only a new favourite track of mine, from 'Cities'. This track was brilliant. As one can see above, there was quite a bit from 'New Surrender' and 'Cities', but they are amazing track selectors and 'Adelaide', 'Paprthin Hymn' and 'Feel Good Drag' from 'NTFP' sufficed. Nothing from the debut either, but they just nailed the tracks they played so well that there was no way to fault them. Except the lead singer wearing a scarf and the guys looking so... shall I say, churchy. lol. But seriously, absolutely sensational. I am seeing them again tomorrow night.

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus ; These guys kind of left me a little cold (well, not physically - it was sunny and bloody hot). Good tight band with another good guitarist and a good lead vocalist, but something was missing a little. The vocal effect on the opening song on the new disc was terrible, but overall they were pretty good. I left 20mins into their set to see Finch and wasn’t too cut about the decision. I liked what I saw, but of the bands I’d come to see they were the weakest so far.

Finch ; Disappointing set-list sums up these guys. The three songs they played from ‘What it is to burn’ were sensational. And the others they played sounded good in majority, but there were about 2 or 3 boring tracks which was a bit of a shame in the more confined set-lists. The lead singer was the first noticeably drunk musician of the day, but they were still good. A very good band, just in need of some more good songs. Or they should just play their whole set from ‘What it is to burn’. I'm seeing them again tomorrow and although I fear the same set-list, I'm hoping for a bit of variety... from the debut. lol.

Dillinger Escape Plan (caught a couple of songs between sets) ; Just caught two songs between sets. First one sounded really good, the next was a horrible mess. I’m interested enough in the quality of the first track to maybe try out an album from these guys. Pretty heavy too.

Funeral for a Friend ; Killer set and good personable lead singer. The played an awesome selection from the debut, two of the best off the new album and a nice pick from ‘Hours’. I think only Tim (2) can appreciate my dismay in the fact that they skipped ‘Tales don’t tell themselves’. I was dying to hear at least one track off that one- ‘Into Oblivion’? Really made me wish I’d seen them tour with that disc. Either way, there aren’t any songs in their discography I dislike and each track was killer. It was another flawless set. Another of my favourites of the day.

Billy Talent (caught a couple of songs between sets) ; I have listened to 2 album from these guys but forgotten about them both... and I guess I can see why. Disgustingly whiny punk voice and pretty forgettable songs. I won’t need to re-visit these guys.

Houston Calls ; Do I call them the surprise packet, or did I ever doubt them? These guys, imo, were the second best band I saw all day. A little stage with a smaller crowd, and these guys were just f*cking brilliant. The most personable and amusing frontman of the day and the band/songs were just tight as hell. Like FFAF, they still haven’t recorded a song I dislike so the set lest was always going to be good, but it was better than I expected. Honestly, I did miss ‘Amtrak Is For Lovers’ – my favourite song from them, and I thought a shoe-in for sure... but oh well. The band were just awesome and I loved every song. Keyboard player was a bit of a twat (chubby Asian dude jumping around like a dick, trying to get the crowd pumped and saying cheesy thing after cheesy thing. He should have let the lead vocalist [who seemed to be a little tired of him too] do all the talking) that the band could do without, but they still ruled.

New Found Glory ; Didn’t overly like these guys. I enjoyed the 2 new songs off the new disc, one from ‘Coming Home’ and one from ‘Sticks and stones’. But the rest was just Blink 182-styled poofter punk I (thankfully) was unfamilar with. The lead singer was about 40 years old and looked and sung in a whiny poofter punk voice. It was horrid. And the fat bass player running around in bed shorts and nothing else, sweating like a naked fat dude – not cool. As I said, enjoyed 4 songs but HATED the guy’s voice and just plain and simply don’t like the actual band.

Alice in Chains (caught a couple of songs between sets) ; Yes, I went there. NFG finished and there was 30mins until the next band and AIC was just over the hill (all stages were so close! It was great). I actually went over to check out the end of their set with the belief I’d be surprised by how much I didn’t hate them as much as I thought. Well boy was I wrong. And to be honest, I don’t understand their place at this festival. Every band on the bill was lively, uptempo, energetic metal/hard rock. I walked over that hill and it was like hearing a wave of down-tuned, slow dreary suicide. Absolutely f*cking terrible, beyond what I’d expected. As in, the worst shit I have ever musically heard. I can understand if someone were committing suicide why they’d want to listen to this, but I honestly cannot understand how someone could honestly gain any listening “pleasure†out of this dreary hell. They were so boring and dead on stage. I left after 2 and ½ songs feeling like part of me had died.

I am the Avalanche (caught a couple of songs between sets) ; I’d forgotten these guys were on, but caught 3 and ½ songs before Alkaline Trio. I kind of don’t mind their quirky debut and the song they played from that was great, but the 2 new songs were kind of average. I didn’t dislike them, I guess they were a decent way to fill in time. It was nice to see at least some sort of alive rock after that AIC shit.

Alkaline Trio ; Tight as hell and a good show. I didn’t know many/most/any of the songs, but the band was solid (almost clinical) and didn’t miss a beat... well, it didn’t sound that way anyway. Good solid show.

From First to Last ; The singer and the drummer both had the flu and the guitarist had stayed in the US (which the singer sounded far from impressed about) so they had a new (permanent? lol) stand-in guitarist. And both he and the singer knew their way around the instrument. Again, I didn’t know a lot of the songs and the mix here was rough, but I really enjoyed the set. Personable band and front man and some really good songs, even if I only REALLY knew one of them. I found them to be a good solid end to the day.

Lamb of God (caught a couple of songs on the way out) ; I just passed them as I left the place and had to laugh. After hearing the death-scream end to one song, the lead singer said, “If you know this one, sing along...†as the band drop into some all-screaming metal assault, which not even he would have know the 'words' to. I could have stayed to hear the end of their set, but it was 10pm and it’d had been a big day... plus that style just does nothing for me, so I left and beat the rush. I also did not get a good impression of the lead singer. Every band I'd seen on the day (except AIC) had been a good cheery mob, happy to be at the festival and happy with the crowds and just interested in putting on a good show and causing the crowd to enjoy themselves, and wishing them joy in enjoying the rest of the day and the other awesome bands. This Lamb Of God singer seemed pompous, saying how the stage they were on had been the most crowded all day because true metal fans are the most loyal and blah, blah... he had a little typical cliche dickhead "true metalhead" rant which was kind of annoying - like a little dig at the other bands and fans of the other bands. Yeah, wasn't a fan of him personally. Seemed like a tool.

So, there it is. Overall, sensational value. The only real disappointment was missing Madina Lake and the start of Silverstein’s set, but aside from that it was a sensational day. I even enjoyed checking out all the bands in between (except AIC). Top bands were:

1. Anberlin

2. Houston Calls

3. Silverstein

4. Funeral For a Friend

5. Forever the Sickest Kids

Worst band, by countless miles:

1. Alice in Chains

2. Alice in Chains

3. Alice in Chains

4. Alice in Chains

5. Alice in Chains

Yep, they really sucked. ;)

Thanks for telling us how the day was. A shame about the cattle gates at the start but sounds like there was plenty of good music to be heard. Suprised to hear RJA were a bit of a disappointment...maybe that's cus you saw such an awesome Anberlin set right before it? I can't stop picturing that fat bowl cut keyboardist jumping around.

Thanks for telling us how the day was. A shame about the cattle gates at the start but sounds like there was plenty of good music to be heard. Suprised to hear RJA were a bit of a disappointment...maybe that's cus you saw such an awesome Anberlin set right before it? I can't stop picturing that fat bowl cut keyboardist jumping around.

:lol: Yeah, Anberlin were a super hard act to follow. RJA were seriously fine... I just felt underwhelmed for some reason. Not sure what it was all about, but they were okay. Seriously mate, I am going to find some Underoath live vids just for you - it was hilarious. HAHA!

seriously mate did you ever believe that any of those bands were going to touch Anberlin??

That's the only band of whole lot that even remotely interests me.

Sounds like you had a blast of a day tho and an awesome write up :tumbsup:

cheers

Lamb of God would've been the best band on that bill, & are easily the most successful. But they are a bunch of spanners, no question....

Just as a little addition if anyone's interested at all, I saw a "Sidewaves" show last night and on the set list was:

Finch

Silverstein

Chiodos

Anberlin

Finch ; lazy f*ckers! Played the exact same set-list as Soundwave. :lol: I honestly wasn't too phased as I expected it. Still loved the 3 songs off 'What it is to burn' but just can't get into their other stuff. The lead singer is not much of a showman either, spending 3/4 of the set facing the back of the stage. One of the guitarists actually does all the talking in the band - funny guy. Overall, it was another solid set but they need to lose the 'Say hello to sunshine' tracks from their show... and I think the majority of the crowd agreed too.

Silverstein ; absolutely awesome, again. The lead singer made a note of the fact they were going to play a few different tunes for the guys who had seen them at Soundwave, so that was awesome. They even played a new song called 'Broken Stars' off their new album 'A Shipwreck in the Sand' (due 31st March) and it kicked ass - lots of meaty runs up and down the fretboard. Can't wait for this disc! They also played, for the first time in Australia, one of my faves off 'Discovering The Waterfront' - 'Call It Karma', which I loved. Overall, killer set, again, and I was most thankful to them for mixing it up a bit. :)

Chiodos ; wow, got to give these guys props. To be completely honest - and I did like Finch - I actually preferred these guys to Finch. Killer live show and the songs seriously sounded good. So much so I might have to try the CDs again. The first song off their latest CD just blew the place apart. When the chorus hit it was like a bomb going through the place. Just awesome. And most the songs had that real explosive element. Great frontman too.

Anberlin ; a funny thing I noted at Soundwave was that these guys were the loudest band I saw all day. Being an outdoor festival I was positioned perfectly so it sounded perfect. Well, last night there was no escaping it. These guys were loud as f*ck!!! My ears are still ringing even now. But did they kick ass? My word they did! They played most the songs from Soundwave, plus another whole set. They were on for an hour of bliss. They played heaps off 'Never take friendship personal', a few acoustic ballads and overall another killer set. My one question - what is their issue with the debut?! :lol: Still, not a single track off it...

At the end of the day, I was glad I'd taken the punt and seen them again before they fly of to Melbourne. :)

Just as a little addition if anyone's interested at all, I saw a "Sidewaves" show last night and on the set list was:

Finch

Silverstein

Chiodos

Anberlin

Finch ; lazy f*ckers! Played the exact same set-list as Soundwave. :lol: I honestly wasn't too phased as I expected it. Still loved the 3 songs off 'What it is to burn' but just can't get into their other stuff. The lead singer is not much of a showman either, spending 3/4 of the set facing the back of the stage. One of the guitarists actually does all the talking in the band - funny guy. Overall, it was another solid set but they need to lose the 'Say hello to sunshine' tracks from their show... and I think the majority of the crowd agreed too.

Silverstein ; absolutely awesome, again. The lead singer made a note of the fact they were going to play a few different tunes for the guys who had seen them at Soundwave, so that was awesome. They even played a new song called 'Broken Stars' off their new album 'A Shipwreck in the Sand' (due 31st March) and it kicked ass - lots of meaty runs up and down the fretboard. Can't wait for this disc! They also played, for the first time in Australia, one of my faves off 'Discovering The Waterfront' - 'Call It Karma', which I loved. Overall, killer set, again, and I was most thankful to them for mixing it up a bit. :)

Chiodos ; wow, got to give these guys props. To be completely honest - and I did like Finch - I actually preferred these guys to Finch. Killer live show and the songs seriously sounded good. So much so I might have to try the CDs again. The first song off their latest CD just blew the place apart. When the chorus hit it was like a bomb going through the place. Just awesome. And most the songs had that real explosive element. Great frontman too.

Anberlin ; a funny thing I noted at Soundwave was that these guys were the loudest band I saw all day. Being an outdoor festival I was positioned perfectly so it sounded perfect. Well, last night there was no escaping it. These guys were loud as f*ck!!! My ears are still ringing even now. But did they kick ass? My word they did! They played most the songs from Soundwave, plus another whole set. They were on for an hour of bliss. They played heaps off 'Never take friendship personal', a few acoustic ballads and overall another killer set. My one question - what is their issue with the debut?! :lol: Still, not a single track off it...

At the end of the day, I was glad I'd taken the punt and seen them again before they fly of to Melbourne. :)

Sounds like it was a great night. I was talking to a mate from Canada who is living in Brisbane at the moment, he went to Soundwave and said that Alice In Chains was the highlight of the day...but that's his sort of thing...crazy!

Glad to see you liked CHIODOS, they're a cool band. The singer is a very troubled soul though, tried to kill himself last year & he spent a year locked in a mental institution. Shame, as he is very talented....

Glad to see you liked CHIODOS, they're a cool band. The singer is a very troubled soul though, tried to kill himself last year & he spent a year locked in a mental institution. Shame, as he is very talented....

Wow, really? You wouldn't pick it from his stage presence. Very personable and happy... well, apparently. Yeah, they earned themself the right to be spun by me again with that show.

Finch

Silverstein

Chiodos

Anberlin

Sounds like it was a great night. I was talking to a mate from Canada who is living in Brisbane at the moment, he went to Soundwave and said that Alice In Chains was the highlight of the day...but that's his sort of thing...crazy!

:puke:

• 7 months later...

Any of you punks going to the 2010 version of this? Once again, a million bands on offer, though not as good as last year, imo. I have decided I won't be going this year, but there are quite a few bands I hope to catch in their separate "sidewave" dates that they do between the festivals while they're out here. Some of the interesting bands on offer this time:

Escape The Fate

All Time Low

A Day To Remember

Paramore

Shinedown

Taking Back Sunday

It Dies Today

I guess is scheduling worked out that they played one after another on the day I'd consider it... but last time there were twice as many bands I wanted to see and not one of those, imo, is a must-see.

Here's the line-up for those interested:

FAITH NO MORE

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

JANES ADDICTION

AFI

PARAMORE

HIM

ALEXISONFIRE

TAKING BACK SUNDAY

TRIVIUM

SUNNY DAY REAL ESTATE

EAGLES OF DEATH METAL

THE GET UP KIDS

ANTI FLAG

REEL BIG FISH

MESHUGGAH

ALL TIME LOW

A DAY TO REMEMBER

IT DIES TODAY

ESCAPE THE FATE

CLUTCH

ISIS

GALLOWS

A WILHELM SCREAM

THE WEAKERTHANS

EMAROSA

ANVIL

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

COMEBACK KID

DANCE GAVIN DANCE

FOUR YEAR STRONG

YOU ME AT SIX

WHITECHAPEL

THE AQUABATS

ROLO TOMASSI

BARONESS

RX BANDITS

THE ALMOST

MAXIMUM THE HORMONE

THE CREEPSHOW

PLACEBO

ANTHRAX

MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK

SHINEDOWN

SET YOUR GOALS

ENTER SHIKARI

CLOSURE IN MEXICO

• 3 months later...

Well, I've decided to take the plunge this year... if tickets are still on sale in about a month when I'll make the purchase. :lol: I'm still not 100% convinced but I had such a good day last year I may as well give it a go. Main issue is that it is about $30 more expensive than last year, and there are nowhere near as many bands I'd really like to see. Anyway, schedule has been released for anyone (probably just you, Justin) vaguely considering going:

http://www.soundwavefestival.com/forum/soundwave-timetables

For $151 I'd plan to view:

It Dies Today

You Me At Six (probably. Really not sure. I quite like Taking Back Sunday but this new CD from these guys is probably better than anything from TBS to be honest - only scheduling issue for me all day)

Motion City Soundtrack

Paramore

Shinedown

All Time Low (I'd have to leave Shinedown early to see full set)

My Chemical Romance ; HAHA! Why not? They're the best in this timeslot. :lol:

Escape The Fate

A Day To Remember

$17 per band, plus whoever else I see on the day still seems like great value to me. And I might stick around to check out This Is Hell. Will check them out on the net.

As I said, only a few bands I'd love see (in bold) but enough there to make it worth $151, imo, especially because my wife's offered to pay half the ticket for Valentine's Day. :wub:

Only issue is the huge break from 4:15pm until 6:00pm. I wish someone like Trivium, Anvil or The Almost were playing in that time. Instead I'll probably end up seeing Placebo and AFI... which I'd really rather not do. :lol:

Well, I've decided to take the plunge this year... if tickets are still on sale in about a month when I'll make the purchase. :lol: I'm still not 100% convinced but I had such a good day last year I may as well give it a go. Main issue is that it is about $30 more expensive than last year, and there are nowhere near as many bands I'd really like to see. Anyway, schedule has been released for anyone (probably just you, Justin) vaguely considering going:

It Dies Today

You Me At Six (probably. Really not sure. I quite like Taking Back Sunday but this new CD from these guys is probably better than anything from TBS to be honest - only scheduling issue for me all day)

Motion City Soundtrack

Paramore

Shinedown

Escape The Fate

A Day To Remember

$17 per band, plus whoever else I see on the day still seems like great value to me. And I might stick around to check out This Is Hell. Will check them out on the net.

As I said, only a few bands I'd love see (in bold) but enough there to make it worth $151, imo, especially because my wife's offered to pay half the ticket for Valentine's Day. :wub:

Only issue is the huge break from 4:15pm until 6:00pm. I wish someone like Trivium, Anvil or The Almost were playing in that time. Instead I'll probably end up seeing Placebo and AFI... which I'd really rather not do. :lol:

If you do go to this, please do not act emo and slash your wrists while sulking in the corner as the emo bands play. :lol:

It Dies Today

Motion City Soundtrack

Paramore

Shinedown

Escape The Fate

A Day To Remember

If you do go to this, please do not act emo and slash your wrists while sulking in the corner as the emo bands play. :lol:

I act emo everywhere I go and slash my wrists everywhere I go, so that won't be an issue.

Though I have to say, if there are any emo bands in that line-up then I don't know 'em (which is plausible as I honestly don't know about 50% of the bands this year). The only borderline emo band I will see on the day is My Chemical Romance... although I think they're what the kids call "pop-emo" anyway, rather than actually having anything to do with emo on a musical level.

There is a 'Pop-Emo'?

I must be old.

Nah, who knows what it's called. I'd bet it's not that. All I know is that 99.9% of people actually have no idea what emo music is. They see all these sadsac little shits with their black clothes, red fringes and scars on their wrists and somehow associate their image with emo music. Why? Who knows? I don't even know if emo is about music anymore, or an image?

Most of the stuff those little shits listen to is just metal or modern hard rock type of stuff. I'm pretty sure a fan of Fugazi (an actual emo band) never dressed up in black with a red fringe and slit his wrists - he just died a slow painful death listening to unlistenable music.

Killer line-up. Trivium live are awesome, would love to see A Day To Remember too. Whitechapel are stunning live too - one of the heaviest bands on earth (with 3 guitarists). I'd definitely skip You Me At Six though, not a fan of them at all....

Killer line-up. Trivium live are awesome, would love to see A Day To Remember too. Whitechapel are stunning live too - one of the heaviest bands on earth (with 3 guitarists). I'd definitely skip You Me At Six though, not a fan of them at all....

Yeah, to be honest I might end up seeing a bit of Trivium. If they're blowing my face off for the first 10mins of their set I can probably skip My Chemical Romance. As for Whitechapel, never heard of them but sadly they're playing when Escape The Fate are, who are just above A Day To Remember as the band I want to see most of all on the day. :( I agree, though, very much looking forward to ADTR.

You'd see Taking Back Sunday over You Me At Six? I wasn't blown away by their CD, but as I said above, I did quite like it and after a few more spins I reckon I'll be pretty keen to see them. Even though I don't mind TBS.

I bet you wouldn't leave Stage 4 all day, hey? :lol: That's probably where I'll be when there's nothing on I want to see.

You'd see Taking Back Sunday over You Me At Six? I wasn't blown away by their CD, but as I said above, I did quite like it and after a few more spins I reckon I'll be pretty keen to see them. Even though I don't mind TBS.

I bet you wouldn't leave Stage 4 all day, hey? :lol: That's probably where I'll be when there's nothing on I want to see.

I could take or leave TBS and YMAS to be honest, both kinda samey & neither as good as ALL TIME LOW. Seriously that is an awesome set of bands playing, almost worth travelling to Sydney for. The killer foursome of ADTR, WHITECHAPEL, TRIVIUM, ANTHRAX would be my highlight. But I'd also love to see ENTER SHIKARI, PARAMORE (great live), SHINEDOWN, ALL TIME LOW, ALEXISONFIRE....

I could take or leave TBS and YMAS to be honest, both kinda samey & neither as good as ALL TIME LOW. Seriously that is an awesome set of bands playing, almost worth travelling to Sydney for. The killer foursome of ADTR, WHITECHAPEL, TRIVIUM, ANTHRAX would be my highlight. But I'd also love to see ENTER SHIKARI, PARAMORE (great live), SHINEDOWN, ALL TIME LOW, ALEXISONFIRE....

Yeah, I'll actually get to see about 20mins of both Trivium and Alexisonfire between bands so that'll be cool. May even catch some of Anthrax if AFI suck, which they do. :lol:

Good to hear about Paramore being good live. Love their first 2 albums but admittedly not too excited about seeing them based purely on the disappointing last CD. Should be good though. Also 50/50 about Shinedown as their last CD was good but before that they sucked. :lol: Disappointed the last 10mins of Shinedown overlaps with All Time Low, though.

Anyway, be sure to let me know if you do seriously entertain coming down to Sydney for the show. It was a very lonely day last year (not that I really cared) so it'd be cool to have someone to catch up with for a beer or eight between sets. :lol:

i'm actually interested in seeing Escape the Fate.

saw their new film clip icluding the likes of Jsoh Todd (buckcherry) and more.

Mate, their last album is kick-ass hard rock, solos included. See if they're doing any Sidewaves shows down in Adelaide at the time. You might be able to catch them separately.

After booking fee and delivery it ended up being over $160 for a ticket so I got crazy and went to ebay for a ticket. Was a bit nervous about it, but got the ticket today and all looks excellent - and it cost me $127 all up, postage included. :) The day just became even better value.

Just saw the other day New Found Glory are touring, I say as I fall asleep from boredom and uninterest. UNTIL!!! I see that Saosin and Hit the Lights are supporting them. :) It means I'll be able to go, get hammered and leave during New Found Glory so I get the last bus home. :lol: But seriously looking forward to both those bands, especially Saosin.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man, can I get a hell yeah?!!! Just read that MCR had to pull out of the show because of something with the dude's voice, and in their place - Jimmy Eat World! Nice. As long as they only play material from their s/t (also called 'Bleed American' elsewhere) album onwards I'll be smiling very, very widely. :D Like that.