Covered Call - 'Money Never Sleeps'

Geoff

I'm sure this one's going to please a few members here. If you've been missing Thomas Vikström since his Talk of The Town days, here we finally see him return to melodic rock. I've spun this a couple of times and I'd compare it to Wig Wam and The Poodles, even if this is clearly better than The Poodles. If you like those bands and great melodic hard rock with great hooks, this is for you. Check out the opening song on their myspace. Some may recognise it as the last good song Mr Big ever recorded - 'Shine':

Myspace

'Money Never Sleeps':

All Because of Me

Til' The End

Shine

Never Again

Anything You Want

I Wanna Be Free

Nothing At All

Money Never Sleeps

What About Us

Let's Make it Real

In 2006, four accomplished musicians from Sweden, drawn together by their combined playing experience and love of good rock music, officially formed Covered Call. Covered Call is the brainchild of drummer Ronny Svanströmer, who in 2006 decided to re-connect with his old jamming buddy Ola Johansson - guitarist, who cut his teeth with popular melodic hard rock group Spearfish, and appeared on their acclaimed debut album Different Access.

The band was complete when joined by up and coming local musicians; guitarist Joel Carlsson and bassist and singer Johan Palmberg both who had played extensively on the thriving local scene. And together the four started to make songs. Ronny brought great riffs, combined with Joel and Johan's melodic melodies finally arranged together with Ola.

Drawing influences from diverse artists such as, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Thin Lizzy, Ufo, Kiss and AC DC, Covered Call began writing and rehearsing. It wasn’t long before the melodies and lyrics flowed, the chemistry between them was hard to ignore and it soon became obvious that these four talented musicians, as a combined force, were going to emerge from that local scene as something really special.

A makeshift studio that resembled nothing more than a shed, produced 10 songs that defined their sound; an eclectic mix of driving melodic hard rock, steeped in the classic sound of bands such as Thin Lizzy, Van Halen and Kiss. Thoughtful lyrics combined with edgy guitars, rasping rock vocals and a monstrous rhythm section.

Later on Johan decide to take a break from the band and Thomas Thulin took over the bass playing. In search of a new singer, Thomas Vikström, (Talk of the town, Candlemass, Therion) joined the band and put his unique mark on the record.

Ola were replaced by Morgan Rosenquist in autum 2008.

These recordings were brought to the attention of the International rock and metal label Blistering Records in the spring of 2008, who were suitably impressed enough to put their full weight behind Covered Call’s upcoming debut album entitled The Money Never Sleeps which will be released worldwide in early 2009.

Money Never Sleeps is recorded and mixed at Studio Fredman by Fredrik Nordström & Henrik Udd. Produced by: Ronny Svanströmer & Joel Carlsson

Can't listen to this at work, but my interest is piqued. Thomas Vikstrom you say? Wig Wam-style you say? Better than The Poodles you say? Well, you say a lot, my friend, but my ears will be the judge just as soon as I get home tonight. I expect to hear nothing less than melodic rock greatness or me and my pack of killer ferrets will be paying you a visit.

Yeah, don't get too caught up on the Wig Wam comparison. I do think the style/vibe is very similar and they are similar bands, but chorus-wise Wig Wam are about 10 steps up from pretty much any current band. I do honestly believe this album crucifies The Poddles' 'Sweet Trade', though.

Mark, not sure the whole album will hold your interests, to be honest. They're not as good as Brother Firetribe and we've all seen your thoughts on them. :)

Yeah, don't get too caught up on the Wig Wam comparison. I do think the style/vibe is very similar and they are similar bands, but chorus-wise Wig Wam are about 10 steps up from pretty much any current band. I do honestly believe this album crucifies The Poodles' 'Sweet Trade', though.

Mark, not sure the whole album will hold your interests, to be honest. They're not as good as Brother Firetribe and we've all seen your thoughts on them. :)

I just listened to all 6 songs on MySpace. I don't hear any WigWam, nor do I hear any Poodles, but to each their own. I thought the first couple of songs were pretty good, but then they settled into a fairly formulaic approach that holds little interest for me these days.

Therefore, as threatened, I have unleashed my pack of killer ferrets. They should arrive sometime in the night and began stripping the flesh from your bones with their needle-like teeth, beginning with the scrotal region.

I'm sure this one's going to please a few members here. If you've been missing Thomas Vikström since his Talk of The Town days, here we finally see him return to melodic rock. I've spun this a couple of times and I'd compare it to Wig Wam and The Poodles, even if this is clearly better than The Poodles. If you like those bands and great melodic hard rock with great hooks, this is for you. Check out the opening song on their myspace. Some may recognise it as the last good song Mr Big ever recorded - 'Shine':

Myspace

'Money Never Sleeps':

All Because of Me

Til' The End

Shine

Never Again

Anything You Want

I Wanna Be Free

Nothing At All

Money Never Sleeps

What About Us

Let's Make it Real

In 2006, four accomplished musicians from Sweden, drawn together by their combined playing experience and love of good rock music, officially formed Covered Call. Covered Call is the brainchild of drummer Ronny Svanströmer, who in 2006 decided to re-connect with his old jamming buddy Ola Johansson - guitarist, who cut his teeth with popular melodic hard rock group Spearfish, and appeared on their acclaimed debut album Different Access.

The band was complete when joined by up and coming local musicians; guitarist Joel Carlsson and bassist and singer Johan Palmberg both who had played extensively on the thriving local scene. And together the four started to make songs. Ronny brought great riffs, combined with Joel and Johan's melodic melodies finally arranged together with Ola.

Drawing influences from diverse artists such as, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Thin Lizzy, Ufo, Kiss and AC DC, Covered Call began writing and rehearsing. It wasn’t long before the melodies and lyrics flowed, the chemistry between them was hard to ignore and it soon became obvious that these four talented musicians, as a combined force, were going to emerge from that local scene as something really special.

A makeshift studio that resembled nothing more than a shed, produced 10 songs that defined their sound; an eclectic mix of driving melodic hard rock, steeped in the classic sound of bands such as Thin Lizzy, Van Halen and Kiss. Thoughtful lyrics combined with edgy guitars, rasping rock vocals and a monstrous rhythm section.

Later on Johan decide to take a break from the band and Thomas Thulin took over the bass playing. In search of a new singer, Thomas Vikström, (Talk of the town, Candlemass, Therion) joined the band and put his unique mark on the record.

These recordings were brought to the attention of the International rock and metal label Blistering Records in the spring of 2008, who were suitably impressed enough to put their full weight behind Covered Call’s upcoming debut album entitled The Money Never Sleeps which will be released worldwide in early 2009.

Money Never Sleeps is recorded and mixed at Studio Fredman by Fredrik Nordström & Henrik Udd. Produced by: Ronny Svanströmer & Joel Carlsson

thanks for the tip.. just ordered mine!!

Yeah, don't get too caught up on the Wig Wam comparison. I do think the style/vibe is very similar and they are similar bands, but chorus-wise Wig Wam are about 10 steps up from pretty much any current band. I do honestly believe this album crucifies The Poodles' 'Sweet Trade', though.

I just listened to all 6 songs on MySpace. I don't hear any WigWam, nor do I hear any Poodles, but to each their own. I thought the first couple of songs were pretty good, but then they settled into a fairly formulaic approach that holds little interest for me these days.

Therefore, as threatened, I have unleashed my pack of killer ferrets. They should arrive sometime in the night and began stripping the flesh from your bones with their needle-like teeth, beginning with the scrotal region.

1. You suck. You can't hear a similar vibe at all?

2. Sounds like I'll be eating baked killer ferret for breakfast tomorrow morning. Thanks for the donation, mate. I just hope they challenge my ninjitsu skills at least a little.

• 1 month later...

Myspace

'Money Never Sleeps':

All Because of Me

Til' The End

Shine

Never Again

Anything You Want

I Wanna Be Free

Nothing At All

Money Never Sleeps

What About Us

Let's Make it Real

whered you order it from?

The lead singer was in Candlemass? isnt that a doom metal band?

Myspace

'Money Never Sleeps':

All Because of Me

Til' The End

Shine

Never Again

Anything You Want

I Wanna Be Free

Nothing At All

Money Never Sleeps

What About Us

Let's Make it Real

whered you order it from?

The lead singer was in Candlemass? isnt that a doom metal band?

http://shop.blisteringrecords.se/index.php...rt&Itemid=1

Yes, Candlemass are f*cked. But he used to be the singer for Talk of the Town and is primarily a melodic rock singer.

how awesome is Shine?!!!!! WOO

Best on the disc. You know it's a Mr Big song, right?

is that off the last Mr BIg album? i dont have it.

Yeh by far the best song on disc... it just went downhill after that.

No one seems to like this one. I wonder why. It's not the best CD ever (or even of the year at all) but I thought it was pretty good.

No one seems to like this one. I wonder why. It's not the best CD ever (or even of the year at all) but I thought it was pretty good.

Which album the Covered Call or the last Mr. Big?

Coveredl Call. And I forgot to answer that question - I think it is off the last Mr Big disc. 'Get used to it'... I think. Who knows? I don't know the difference between their last 2 discs.

Coveredl Call. And I forgot to answer that question - I think it is off the last Mr Big disc. 'Get used to it'... I think. Who knows? I don't know the difference between their last 2 discs.

No it was on 'Actual Size' that was the last one but it was never released in the US so I never bought it.

I did buy 'Get Over It' which I did enjoy with Richie Kotzen but I don't think it sold to well so I'm guessing that's why the next one was tough to find in the US.

The first few songs are good, then Shine is massive, then.. not much

No it was on 'Actual Size' that was the last one but it was never released in the US so I never bought it.

I did buy 'Get Over It' which I did enjoy with Richie Kotzen but I don't think it sold to well so I'm guessing that's why the next one was tough to find in the US.

Wounded Bird have re-issued 'Actual Size' so should be easy for you to get now. I like that disc alot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...