The thriving Finnish music scene

Stefan

I thought the other day that wouldn't it be cool to have a thread dedicated to only one country. In that thread anyone can post anything concerning the music from that particular country. I myself have a lot of music that IMO deserves at least some attention. Now it happens to be from....you guessed it (or read it <_< ): Finland. Maybe Bernd, for instance, could start a German thread ;)

I put it in the Other Music Styles thread 'cause this covers all music styles.

Rewind the time 5-10 years, the Finnish music scene struggled to be heard outside the borders but nowadays it is a force to be reckoned with IMO. Such a small country, such good music :P

So without futher ado I'll set the ball rolling :drink:

First off:

End Of You (Website)(Myspace)

You could describe them as melodic goth/metal. Kinda like Him, Charon, Entwine etc but much better IMO.

They have two releases to their name: Unreal (2006) and Mimesis (2008). The last one is a winner.

Check out these videos from Mimesis:

You Deserve More This one is soooo good :banger:

And from Unreal:

Liar :beerbang:

Mooooody! :headbanger:

There are a lot of great Finnish bands - none I can think of at the moment though! Someone I was working with for a while was obsessed with Finnish artists and she would constantly send me new bands to check out and I hafta admit, most of them were pretty damn good.

I did hear a band today who I thought were fantasric and they turned out to be from ... Finland. It was an industrial band called Sinmaster. Had never heard of them before - and I guess they were around in the earlier part of the decade - but the track I heard blew me away.

Killer Aspect

Here's a little modern rock for you. They released their debut album "How Does It Work?" earlier this year.

Check them out on MySpace and especially the first single "TV". Pretty cool song. :) It may even appeal to some of you modern rockers out there...

Southwest Sunrise

I know there's another thread 'bout these guys but I have to mention them again. Great indie hard rock with "progressive blues tunes" (according to the band). They released their debut "Judges Of Eternity" in 2006 and in the beginning of 2008, "Sleep In The Fire EP" saw the light of day.

Only sold at gigs this EP contains 4 songs: Beginning Of The End, Sleep In The Fire, Legends Never Die & Dream On.

You can download the full-length EP here and take a listen to the track Legends Never Die. Excellent! :beerbang:

• 1 month later...

Frail

As revealed in the "Mystery" thread these guys are called Frail and have one release under their belt: Pieces Of Silence. This is great stuff in the vein of other bands from these cold shores. Not a favourite among Aussies but I think this is a rocking effort. This disc was released back in 2006 and you can check them out here: Myspace and website

And for your pleasure I've taken the liberty of including a link where you can hear the full album in all its glory. Hear it before you judge. At least check out "Survivor". :banger:

Frail

As revealed in the "Mystery" thread these guys are called Frail and have one release under their belt: Pieces Of Silence. This is great stuff in the vein of other bands from these cold shores. Not a favourite among Aussies but I think this is a rocking effort. This disc was released back in 2006 and you can check them out here: Myspace and website

And for your pleasure I've taken the liberty of including a link where you can hear the full album in all its glory. Hear it before you judge. At least check out "Survivor". :banger:

Not even 'Survivor' works for me. :( Very nu-metal, mate.

Killer Aspect

Here's a little modern rock for you. They released their debut album "How Does It Work?" earlier this year.

Check them out on MySpace and especially the first single "TV". Pretty cool song. :) It may even appeal to some of you modern rockers out there...

Shit man, wish I'd heard this one before our trade. These guys sound good in places. Love that 'Friends and Knives' song. 'Bloodshot' is cool too.

White Flame

Here's another great new band for you: White Flame. Their debut was released in 2007 and goes under the name "Yesterday's News". Check out their website here and myspace here.

Videos for

Well I let Georg and his folks at AOR HEAVEN do the talkin':

"Description:

The next great band from Finland, which mixes modern and melodic rock with a strong Sleaze rock vibe - think Carmen Gray / Lovex meets Crazy Lixx / Crashdiet. Feat. Michael Monroe as guest. Digi pack."

Now don't blame me if the description is far off. <_<

:banger:

Stefan

BTW I have a copy for trade in my soon-to-come tradelist :)

• 2 weeks later...

Glitz

Since there have been some interest in this disc I thought it could be a good idea to put it on this thread.

What I know this debut release (Livin' Like A Bullet) was only released in the country of thousand lakes. And a pretty decent indie it is. It was released 2003 by MTG (Musiikkituottajat Group OY) and it's a fact that it more or less bombed. Don't mean it suck though, just didn't get the recognition it IMO deserved.

This review was already shown in a thread but I enclose it here again. So from RockUnited.com:

"GLITZ: "Livin' Like A Bullet" 8

MTG 2003

Review by 21 September 2003

It's my pleasure to tell you about a talented new Finnish band again: originating from Turku, Glitz plays melodic, melancholic hard rock with some gothic and glam elements. There are similarities to our biggest rock export HIM, but lyrically they are a bit more down to earth. Also, to their advantage the band has a less over-dramatic vocalist in Pasi Kuronen. Foreign counterparts were actually quite hard to find, as there's something decidedly Finnish in their sound...but I guess the likes of Bon Jovi and Poison have had some kind of an impact on the guys. The sound might not be carved from the same wood, but similary to those bands, Glitz have plenty of big choruses and good backing vocals.

Out of the eleven tracks here, the highlights are definitely the two songs already released as singles: the awesome "Reaching For You" and the ballad "Away From You". The latter is actually a brilliant example of a 80'ies-styled "power ballad", and it might be the song to push the band into the limelight. The video even features a former Miss Finland and an all-around celebrity Lola Odasoga in it...Other songs worthy of your attention include the moody "Fooling Myself", "Divine" and "Wasting Time". It has to be said though that a few of the choruses are quite similar to each other, and there are a couple of songs that don't work as well as the others. Still, a solid first album! "

So in case if you all wonder how it sounds like, take a listen to the whole album here

Peace :)

Stefan

Hellcity 13

This one is really rocking. Their selftitled debut features not one singer but 2, one male and one female. Stylewise they fall into the rock/goth/glam (according to MySpace) category but I even dare to add AOR as well.

Released in 2007 by Break A Leg Entertainment and 3 tracks was produced and co-written by Johnny Lee Michaels. Read the review from Hardrock Haven below:

Hardrock Haven review

Check out the video for

Website MySpace

If you wanna hear the whole cd, listen here and check out the best track on the cd IMO: Yesterday's News (track 9)

:banger:

Stefan

• 5 weeks later...

MoonMadness

This is a new hard rock group from Tampere in the middle of Finland. Fronted by the lovely Heidi Bergbacka their influences is clearly from the 70's. They released their debut "All In Between" in May 2008 on the indie label Blue Violet.

This is a review from Melodic.net:

"After releasing a couple of singles the Finnish band Moon Madness is ready to take on the world with their debut album All In Between. This is a female fronted melodic hardrock band that has influences from both the 70s with a great Hammond sound and wonderful 80s hooklines that they do very good.

If you think bands like Saraya, Witness, Alyson Avenue and Heart with a more modern touch in it is your cup of tea then check out these Fins.

This is an album that’s both fresh and well-produced with great arrangements that really stands out. The use of Hammond organs gives this album a very 70s feel with strong guitar riffs and the songs are filled with tons of melodies. The variation of the songs are also very good and it never gets boring and the album is even without any fillers. The only thing that I miss on this album is maybe a couple of songs with standout choruses that had made this album even stronger.

Stroke Of Midnight is a strong opener with great melodies and a superb chorus. The singer Heidi Bergbacka has a strong voice and reminds of Agnes (from the Finnish Idol competition with a great debut album in 2006) and Tone Norum.

Torn is another wonderful melodic mid-tempo rocker with a strong chorus. Before It’s Too Late has a great keyboard/piano sound in it and the upbeat chorus is brilliant.

Victims Of The Moon is an awesome song with lovely piano sound and the strings lifts up this song to higher grounds. This was an album that took me by surprise and yet again the Fins shows how to make great albums with wonderful melodies. So what do you wait for, just get a copy of this great album."

Check out the excellent hard rocker "Torn" on MySpace :banger:

Their website and the video Shot Through The Wing.

Recently, I've been on a Finnish band kick.....so many great melodic rock and metal bands coming from Finland and they have something in their music that has really been pulling my chain. Bands like Leverage, Brother Firetribe, Land of Tales, Nightwish and so many more......it even extends over into Norway where bands such as Keldian come. I'll be checking all your bands you've posted to discover new ones.....thanks!

Some great bands listed, and luckily I have managed to snag most of them in trades from Stefan over the last few weeks. Frail, End Of You and Hellcity 13 are excellent with 3 top quality discs. Glitz and White Flame are non to shabby either and I should also mention the excellent Negative (4 discs) & Chevi Eye as well who are pretty good. Did I hear a mention of the words Nu Metal above to describe Frail?. Nowhere near at all, so If Carmen Gray, Lovex, Soul Relic, Private Line and H.I.M etc have interested you in the past, check this lot out. :tumbsup:

Some great bands listed, and luckily I have managed to snag most of them in trades from Stefan over the last few weeks. Frail, End Of You and Hellcity 13 are excellent with 3 top quality discs. Glitz and White Flame are non to shabby either and I should also mention the excellent Negative (4 discs) & Chevi Eye as well who are pretty good. Did I hear a mention of the words Nu Metal above to describe Frail?. Nowhere near at all, so If Carmen Gray, Lovex, Soul Relic, Private Line and H.I.M etc have interested you in the past, check this lot out. :tumbsup:

:agree: I actually mentioned it in another thread that the person in question always refers to nu-metal if he doesn't agree with someone musicwise. Strange fellow... :whistle:

Phoenix Effect

This is a new hard rock band from Helsinki featuring Janne Kärkkäinen. Janne was in Sunrise Avenue before he decided to go his own way. He teamed up with members of Poets Of The Fall to write the new album "Cyanide Skies", released on Insomniac Oy. The CD hits the streets of Finland in February. The first single "Broken Promises" was released a couple of months ago.

Check out the new single "Broken Promises"

Pretty good song. Kinda of Nickelback style with a hint of grunge (now don't let that turn you off :) )

Myspace Website

:agree: I actually mentioned it in another thread that the person in question always refers to nu-metal if he doesn't agree with someone musicwise. Strange fellow... :whistle:

Backed, Toto are one of the worst nu-metal bands I've heard.

See?

See?

Ignore, he's very hard of hearing

OFTEN. ;)

See?

OFTEN. ;)

I have the ears and eyes of a hawk.

... And the beak too.

See?

OFTEN. ;)

... And the beak too.

...and probably the brain and the balls too ;)

-i posted this yesterday in the metal section, being a band from Finland I thought I'd post here as well-

I just discovered this band, playing quality Melodic Metal with comparisons to Edguy, Pink Cream 69, Pretty Maids as well as some heavier influences like Iron Maiden and Helloween. The band formed back in 1998 and have just released their 2nd album 'Moonlight Time'.

From the samples on their MySpace site, these guys sound really solid and will especially appeal to fans of later day Edguy. The music really sits on the border between Melodic Hard Rock and Melodic Metal.

Masquerage on MySpace

Masquerage Official Website

See?

OFTEN. ;)

... And the beak too.

...and probably the brain and the balls too ;)

Yeah, they do have balls of steel, don't they?

-i posted this yesterday in the metal section, being a band from Finland I thought I'd post here as well-

I just discovered this band, playing quality Melodic Metal with comparisons to Edguy, Pink Cream 69, Pretty Maids as well as some heavier influences like Iron Maiden and Helloween. The band formed back in 1998 and have just released their 2nd album 'Moonlight Time'.

From the samples on their MySpace site, these guys sound really solid and will especially appeal to fans of later day Edguy. The music really sits on the border between Melodic Hard Rock and Melodic Metal.

Masquerage on MySpace

Masquerage Official Website

These guys sounds pretty good. I must take a closer listen to them. I can see the two releases sitting right there in one of my sources' list at a very competitive price, maybe I should do some purchasing...again.