Threshold

phaffas

Ok so i know almost nothing about Threshold apart from hearing a song or two hear and there, which have potential.

Whats their history? Releases? Best releases? Styles? Different Eras of the band (theyve had 2 or 3 singers right?)...... i duno whatever... educate me on this band and your thoughts on them!

Wow ! Where to start. I love this band and pretty much all their releases. I Have followed them pretty much from the word go when they released the excellent 'Wounded Land' disc back in 1993. I must admit that I didn't like the next releases 'Psychedelicatessen' and 'Extinct Instinct' as much (although they had their moments) and for me it is when they changed to their 3rd vocalist Mac, that I think they really took off musically.

All their discs from 'Clone' (1998) onwards have all been killer stuff IMO,with my fave Threshold disc being 'Hypothetical', although 'Critical Mass', 'Subsurface' and last years brilliant 'Dead Reckoning' are all essentials as well. A good starting place would be to get the excellent 'Ravages Of Time' compilation (2007) which whilst not including all the best stuff, covers a good selection, especially of the newer material

They also have a clutch of excellent 'Fan Club Only' releases from Live shows, to Acoustic versions and unreleased stuff which are also excellent.

Stylewise they are pretty varied, from the long heavy Prog tracks to shorter more commercial stuff, but all is pretty melodic even on the heavier material - loads of crunchy metallic guitars but underpinned with some fabulous keyboards as well. One, if not the best Prog Metal band out there in my opinion and a band definately worth looking into in a big way.

Wow ! Where to start. I love this band and pretty much all their releases. I Have followed them pretty much from the word go when they released the excellent 'Wounded Land' disc back in 1993. I must admit that I didn't like the next releases 'Psychedelicatessen' and 'Extinct Instinct' as much (although they had their moments) and for me it is when they changed to their 3rd vocalist Mac, that I think they really took off musically.

All their discs from 'Clone' (1998) onwards have all been killer stuff IMO,with my fave Threshold disc being 'Hypothetical', although 'Critical Mass', 'Subsurface' and last years brilliant 'Dead Reckoning' are all essentials as well. A good starting place would be to get the excellent 'Ravages Of Time' compilation (2007) which whilst not including all the best stuff, covers a good selection, especially of the newer material

They also have a clutch of excellent 'Fan Club Only' releases from Live shows, to Acoustic versions and unreleased stuff which are also excellent.

Stylewise they are pretty varied, from the long heavy Prog tracks to shorter more commercial stuff, but all is pretty melodic even on the heavier material - loads of crunchy metallic guitars but underpinned with some fabulous keyboards as well. One, if not the best Prog Metal band out there in my opinion and a band definately worth looking into in a big way.

:beerbang:

My useless little opinion is that Threshold are a nice proggy-type melodic heavy rock band, but if you want to skip the nonsense and just listen to some no-holds-barred perfect melodic hard rock without the 10 minute songs and frills, check out Sargant Fury’s ‘Still want more’ album, featuring Threshold’s most prominent (I believe) vocalist; Mac.

Honestly, I don’t mind Threshold but I just get a little bored with their tunes. ‘Still want more’ is just bliss.

My useless little opinion is that Threshold are a nice proggy-type melodic heavy rock band, but if you want to skip the nonsense and just listen to some no-holds-barred perfect melodic hard rock without the 10 minute songs and frills, check out Sargant Fury’s ‘Still want more’ album, featuring Threshold’s most prominent (I believe) vocalist; Mac.

Honestly, I don’t mind Threshold but I just get a little bored with their tunes. ‘Still want more’ is just bliss.

Sorry, I disagree ! That is like comparing Helloween with Place Vendome, just because those two bands had the same lead vocalist (Michael Kiske)!

Just as these two are two totally different bands with a different music style, so are Sargant Fury and Threshold. Their only common denominator was Mac.

Jez' description of Threshold's music was spot on. :bowdown: They are one of the best prog-rock/metal bands out there and in the end it all boils down to this question: do you like prog-rock or do you not ?

If you do like it extremely intelligent and multi-layered, then you will not get it much better than with Threshold !! :banger:

Sorry, I disagree ! That is like comparing Helloween with Place Vendome, just because those two bands had the same lead vocalist (Michael Kiske)!

Just as these two are two totally different bands with a different music style, so are Sargant Fury and Threshold. Their only common denominator was Mac.

Jez' description of Threshold's music was spot on. :bowdown: They are one of the best prog-rock/metal bands out there and in the end it all boils down to this question: do you like prog-rock or do you not ?

If you do like it extremely intelligent and multi-layered, then you will not get it much better than with Threshold !! :banger:

In general alot of prog bores me to tears, however there is some quality stuff out there, and always wanting to find it. Threshold sounds good. Some songs ive heard of been brilliant, others not so... but that was usually because i didnt like one of the singers but im not sure which it was.

As for Geoffs opinions on prog... well he doesnt have any so i just ignore them... however if this Mac guy turns out to be a good singer, i will check out his older band.

In general alot of prog bores me to tears, however there is some quality stuff out there, and always wanting to find it. Threshold sounds good. Some songs ive heard of been brilliant, others not so... but that was usually because i didnt like one of the singers but im not sure which it was.

As for Geoffs opinions on prog... well he doesnt have any so i just ignore them... however if this Mac guy turns out to be a good singer, i will check out his older band.

Depends what Prog you are talking about here as it covers such a wide base of styles. I listen to a lot of the old school stuff, Yes, Genesis, Camel etc etc as well as the relatively newer (in comparison) bands such as Marillion, Pendragon, Spock's Beard etc which I can understand people either liking or hating to be honest, as it is quite light, maybe over theatrical, and does go on a bit on occassions.

Then there are the in between bands like Arena, Enchant, and the like that are slightly heavier yet still very melodic, which may appeal more than the previous mentioned bands.

Prog metal like Threshold, Dream Theater etc is a whole other ball game for me and I generally view them completely differently from the atypical 'Progressive Rock' bands, even though they have the long songs with technical passages etc.

All of this stuff isn't going to appeal to your average listener though in my humble opinion, as it certainly isn't quick fix music that you can just whack on in the background.

To rectify my miscommunicated opinion on Threshold, I don't mind the band at all. As I said, a "nice proggy-type melodic heavy rock band". For what they are they're great. I didn't hate anything I heard from them after listening to their entire discography. But on the same hand nothing really blew me away either. All I'm saying is that almost every track on Sargant Fury's 'Still want more' album blows me away... nothing about Threshold does.

Different bands, different appeal. But I'd take Sargant Fury any day of the week. :)

for me it is when they changed to their 3rd vocalist Mac, that I think they really took off musically.

I agree totally! But was shocked and saddened when Mac quit the band. :(

• 3 weeks later...
for me it is when they changed to their 3rd vocalist Mac, that I think they really took off musically.

Was Mac the better more recent singer? has he quit?

Was Mac the better more recent singer? has he quit?

Yes he was and yes he has!! I think Damian Wilson is back in for the time being.

Totally agree, everything since 'Clone' is utterly essential, with 'Subsurface' and 'Dead Reckoning' being probably the 2 best releases in the genre, IMHO.

However, now Mac has gone I will probably not be buying their next release as I dont really like his voice or a lot of material he sang with band in their early days.

It was a sad, sad day when Mac quit.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree, everything since 'Clone' is utterly essential, with 'Subsurface' and 'Dead Reckoning' being probably the 2 best releases in the genre, IMHO.

However, now Mac has gone I will probably not be buying their next release as I dont really like his voice or a lot of material he sang with band in their early days.

Where has this Mac guy gone?

Out of the music Biz to spend time with his family and earn some money doing a proper job.

All is said... First class Prog Metal band. Probably the best imho....

Out of the music Biz to spend time with his family and earn some money doing a proper job.

so he didnt get a job with UK post...

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Threshold- Dead Rekoning ( their last album) is Brilliant. Buy that right away.

I'm gonna check into that Sargent Fury now knowing Mac sings on it.

Their album "Hypothetical" is a great start as well. Chunky metallic sound yet incorporation of classy piano passages and strong, clear vocals. The "Keep My Head" track makes me think of "easy listening." Diverse!

• 6 months later...
Well... for the people who care.... that being me.... i bought Critical Mass.... didnt like it at first, but damn its been growing on me.

Every album since is better.

As I said above 'Subsurface' and 'Dead Reckoning' are 2 you really need. Both of those are essential listening.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

New song online called 'Smile At The Moon'

http://www.myspace.com/threshold

Karl Groom proves once more what a great guitarist he is, but it pales now Mac has left.

I fear the once great Threshold is a mere shadow of its former self.

Shame.

Great song. They sound very similar to when Damian was in before in the pre Mac days. They released some real quality stuff with Damian in the past, so I can't agree with the 'Shadow Of their former selves' comment Glen. Look forward to the full CD though for sure.

I put an order in for the 8 disc singles box set, which is very interesting indeed.

To rectify my miscommunicated opinion on Threshold, I don't mind the band at all. As I said, a "nice proggy-type melodic heavy rock band". For what they are they're great. I didn't hate anything I heard from them after listening to their entire discography. But on the same hand nothing really blew me away either. All I'm saying is that almost every track on Sargant Fury's 'Still want more' album blows me away... nothing about Threshold does.

Different bands, different appeal. But I'd take Sargant Fury any day of the week. :)

Again, to add to this... I bought two of their albums - 'Subsurface' and 'Dead reckoning' I think they were called. Both fine albums. But the thought of actually spinning them again is akin to asking someone to chop my balls off and eat them in front of me. I think that - regardless of how good a band in the genre can be - I just hate prog too much to bother. I find it endlessly boring, overdrawn and too unappealing to draw me back in for repeated listens. :( If they kept the songs down to the 4min mark I'd be interested.