March 30, 2000... a day that will live in infamy.

heavyharmonies

A thread over at MR reminded me of this.

The year was 2000. The month was March. N-Sync was going strong:

RollingStone032000.jpg

I remember getting an email from someone saying "I saw your site in the magazine and..." to which I replied "Magazine? What magazine? Where?" He said "this week's Rolling Stone magazine."

I figured he was just yanking my chain, as I knew nothing about it, but nevertheless I rushed out to the nearest grocery store to see if it was on the level.

Sure enough... one itty bitty paragraph. But the resulting traffic surge (site traffic more than tripled that week) was enough to get things moving. Prior to that, HH was really only known via a few email lists and Zines (Kurt Torster's SFK and Tim Wadzinski's Detritus).

It's about the closest HH will ever get to "mainstream exposure" but that's my little 15 minutes of fame. :lol:

RollingStone032000Article.jpg

Yeah, well done, Dan. There was a thread here once about a particular date where there were a HUGE amount of people online - was this date around the release of the magazine?

BTW, I'm pretty surprised someone at 'Rolling Stone' even knows who Black n' Blue are.

And i cant believe that N-Sync arent on the HH database yet!!

At the very least I thought Justin Timberlake would be here.

Damn I love his songs. And him. He is so awesome. I wouldn't like to snap his neck at all. 'Cause he rules.

Yeah, well done, Dan. There was a thread here once about a particular date where there were a HUGE amount of people online - was this date around the release of the magazine?

I saw that thread a long time ago by some newbies. I am pretty sure that the high amount of people online that day was due to the fact that for a while Dan had a subscription service with downloads available. Then the RIAA or suchlike got involved and Dan had to discontinue that and take all of even the low quality short song samples offline. I still have that username and password here somewhere :lol: .

I saw that thread a long time ago by some newbies. I am pretty sure that the high amount of people online that day was due to the fact that for a while Dan had a subscription service with downloads available. Then the RIAA or suchlike got involved and Dan had to discontinue that and take all of even the low quality short song samples offline. I still have that username and password here somewhere :lol: .

Yeah, that sounds about right. This board didn't get added to the site until August of 2002.

-Dan

That's wicked cool, Dan. HH's mention was probably the only time in recent Rolling Stone history that they published anything worthwhile! :lol:

Very cool....

Dan, I was wondering if you can explain to me December 11, 2004.

Most users ever online was 187 on Dec 11 2004, 11:51 AM (I assume that was 187 members on at the same time).

Any idea what was the cause of this spike on that day?

No clue actually. Looking back through the various forums, I don't see any monumental events or discussions that would have prompted such attendance.

Maybe there was a problem on the main site and people came here?

-Dan

We should set a date and beat the record of 187. My claim to fame will be that I would have been part of those who beat the old record of 187. For a brief moment in time I would be hero. (insert a Superman smilie here) wait I found one that will do just fine. :crazy: Yep that's me, the likeness is amazing.

I always wondered about that 187 users online. Oh well. That Rolling Stone little blurb is cool. :tumbsup:

No clue actually. Looking back through the various forums, I don't see any monumental events or discussions that would have prompted such attendance.

Maybe there was a problem on the main site and people came here?

-Dan

I'm surprised that the whole 'Lonnie in the car crash' thread didn't come close to beating that record.

That article is actually how I found out about Heavy Harmonies. I even remember where I was, was sitting in the library waiting for a college night class to start reading through the article. That same night I went home and checked it out and loved it (and I still do!)