The true meaning of AOR

Faust

Hi folks,

Here the situation : I have a project. I’d like to write an article concerning the AOR as a music style (or not see below). A French magazine propose to me writing an article, and to be paid for that. I am in liaison with Frédéric Slama. Frédéric is an important character for the AOR scene. He crossed the Atlantic sea at the end of the 70's and was an active actor for the creation of the westcoast music and AOR, during the golden years in L.A. After having begun as journalist he is now a known and respected musician. He is very friendly with Toto guys, Tommy Denander etc (F. Slama on HH database). I will carry out a long interview.

I hope to clarify the direction of word AOR : adult oriented rock, album oriented for radios etc. Is the AOR just a name for 70’s/80’s radios DJs, a kind of label, or acts like a true musical style ? I have 4 months to carry out my article.

By creating this thread I have several goals : to know your own vision of the AOR music, your own definition, to collect testimonys and ideas, and to know if you think that the use of this term is usurped nowadays…

With this article I will address to neophytes, my goal is also to make known our music. The magazine which buys my article is read by more than 60/70 000 readers per month here in France (and most of them are Placebo or Coldplay addicts)...

Thanks in advance for your replies (NOW...)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Adult Oriented Rock" is a bogus term, created relatively recently (1990s) and applied to the melodic rock genre.

"AOR" as it originally was coined, meant "Album-Oriented Radio" and had its heyday in the 1970s and early 1980s. Since it was used most frequently during a period when Journey, Foreigner, Styx, etc. were at their peak, it became synonymous with that style of music, although that was not the intent.

During that time period it was not uncommon for radio stations to play ANY cut from an album, not just released singles like today. In fact many stations frequently would pay entire album sides, hence the term.

That really was the pinnacle of rock music on the radio, since DJs and station managers had the freedom to play anything they wanted, not just the singles that labels want shoved down people's throats. During that era people were exposed to a lot of unique songs, material that today wouldn't even be considered.

The parallel with today's internet radio stations is interesting...

-Dan

Dan - That's what I thought. Nowaday almost every hair metal band is categorized under the AOR banner (for example Brotherfire Tribe)... But AOR is not a real music style IMO.

Wes - Yes i remember that old thread but impossible to dig it out from the archives...

• 1 year later...
Last night on Australian Idol one of the record exec judges called a constesatant an AOR artist and went on to explain that it meant 'Adult Oreinted Rock'.

Not that I care, but to me that makes more sense than 'Album Oreinted Rock'.

Really? I missed it last night but which person was it? Can you believe the blonde girl they took over from the UK didn't make it? Wowser. What is that shitty little 16 year old kid doing there? Or that really fat girl from the first day? There are a lot better people sitting on the sidelines than in the top 8. The long haired dude is good though - real good.

Last night on Australian Idol one of the record exec judges called a constesatant an AOR artist and went on to explain that it meant 'Adult Oreinted Rock'.

Really? I missed it last night but which person was it? Can you believe the blonde girl they took over from the UK didn't make it? Wowser. What is that shitty little 16 year old kid doing there? Or that really fat girl from the first day? There are a lot better people sitting on the sidelines than in the top 8. The long haired dude is good though - real good.

They said 'aor' about the Adelaide guy. On the ad he sings ina really high voice, but his actual voice is much lower than that.

That little 16 yo kid was shit. There were so much better than him. That'll teach them to let 13yo girls vote.

The dude with the beard is really good. Wednesday nights heat had enough talent to all go thru. All the pther heats have been pretty ordinary though. Al least it's not full of divas this year. It looks like thyey've purposely gone for different sounds this time cos the diva thing has failed for the winner in recent years.

They said 'aor' about the Adelaide guy. On the ad he sings ina really high voice, but his actual voice is much lower than that.

That little 16 yo kid was shit. There were so much better than him. That'll teach them to let 13yo girls vote.

The dude with the beard is really good. Wednesday nights heat had enough talent to all go thru. All the pther heats have been pretty ordinary though. Al least it's not full of divas this year. It looks like thyey've purposely gone for different sounds this time cos the diva thing has failed for the winner in recent years.

I agree 100%. The whole Wednesday group and the dude from Monday should be the only ones through. I was glad to see the big burly guy from Wed night get through - he's great. Loved his original. And yeah, the one with the beard (red haired dude?) is good too.

• 1 year later...
"Adult Oriented Rock" is a bogus term, created relatively recently (1990s) and applied to the melodic rock genre.

"AOR" as it originally was coined, meant "Album-Oriented Radio" and had its heyday in the 1970s and early 1980s. Since it was used most frequently during a period when Journey, Foreigner, Styx, etc. were at their peak, it became synonymous with that style of music, although that was not the intent.

During that time period it was not uncommon for radio stations to play ANY cut from an album, not just released singles like today. In fact many stations frequently would pay entire album sides, hence the term.

That really was the pinnacle of rock music on the radio, since DJs and station managers had the freedom to play anything they wanted, not just the singles that labels want shoved down people's throats. During that era people were exposed to a lot of unique songs, material that today wouldn't even be considered.

-Dan

You are dead on 100% correct. Any other version of 'AOR' is made up.

All the adult stuff is bollocks.

Stands for 'Album Orientated Radio'.

Shear Bliss! thats the true meaning of AOR!!

Not according to Geoff - its, and I quote :

"that awful kind of music with lots of keys, choruses that do not flow and a lot of stop-start lack of rhythm"

:tumbsup:

Only from an Aussie :lol:

-Dan

So what about the newer stuff? Does that term still apply to more recent music such as Goo Goo Dolls, Wallflowers, Matchbox 20 etc.?

"that awful kind of music with lots of keys, choruses that do not flow and a lot of stop-start lack of rhythm"

:lol: Man I rule. Even quotes from me the same day I write them are hilarious.

But seriously, that thread was about people's personal takes on each genre. This one is aimed more at an actual definition of the term, isn't it? And no one can even settle on what the actual acronym stands for, can they?

But seriously, that thread was about people's personal takes on each genre. This one is aimed more at an actual definition of the term, isn't it? And no one can even settle on what the actual acronym stands for, can they?

Yes they can - 'Album Orientated Rock'..........any other version of the acronym is wrong.

Sorry.

-Dan

So what about the newer stuff? Does that term still apply to more recent music such as Goo Goo Dolls, Wallflowers, Matchbox 20 etc.?

Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20 ?? Surely that's modern rock in every sense of the word (s).

isnt it????

-Dan

Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20 ?? Surely that's modern rock in every sense of the word (s).

isnt it????

Definitely !

I thought it stood for Asian an Oriental Rock!! or Atmospheric & Organ Riffs!!!!

Yes they can - 'Album Orientated Rock'..........any other version of the acronym is wrong.

Sorry.

Don't be sorry mate. Suits me fine... I personally couldn't possibly care less. ;)

-Dan

isnt it????

Definitely !

So what you guys are saying is that the term AOR is strickly dedicated to the 70' and 80's and it can only be bands that are played on the radio.

-Dan

isnt it????

Definitely !

So what you guys are saying is that the term AOR is strickly dedicated to the 70' and 80's and it can only be bands that are played on the radio.

No, that's not what I meant. Just those 2 examples Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20 I wouldn't call AOR. These I would classify as Modern Rock. But of course newer bands can be AOR as well. Think of H.E.A.T. as an example, bordering to Melodic Rock.

-Dan

isnt it????

Definitely !

No, that's not what I meant. Just those 2 examples Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20 I wouldn't call AOR. These I would classify as Modern Rock. But of course newer bands can be AOR as well. Think of H.E.A.T. as an example, bordering to Melodic Rock.

Yeah that HEAT disc is killer...is it played on the radio in Europe? I guess I'm splitting hairs but how can it be called Album Orientated Radio if it's not on the radio.

Not all us Aussies think that.

• 7 years later...

Ahhh I like the original meaning for the term best (Album Oriented Radio) and that makes sense now cos i was listening to some bands classed as AOR, which I was always told meant Adult Oriented Rock, and thinking 'I can't hear or see anything particularly adult about them' - in the sense that they wouldn't be suitable for kids.

I like that radios play multiple tracks from an album and don't stick to just the 'singles' that the promoters decide to push. It should mean that listeners get a better idea of whether it'd be worth buying or not. Plus it would encourage bands to produce 'killer not filler' albums I'd have thought which is better for everyone.

I'd given up buying albums because of the number of times I'd done so based on one (or maybe 2) singles that I'd heard played only to find the rest of the tracks were nowhere near as good.