Books

JustJason

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently I'm re-reading "The Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle, which is about life on the New York Yankees during the late 1970s. I first read this book many years ago and laughed my ass off all the way through it. One of the best, if not THE best, baseball book ever written.

I actually read quite a bit on the train. Can't now due to the fact that I'm running them, and I miss reading.

I'm a HUGE Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child fan. Currently trying to finish 'Reliquary' the sequel to 'Relic'.

Also read 'Cabinet of Curiosities' from the same authors. On deck after 'Reliquary' is 'The Ice Limit' by the same authors.

Currently I'm re-reading "The Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle, which is about life on the New York Yankees during the late 1970s. I first read this book many years ago and laughed my ass off all the way through it. One of the best, if not THE best, baseball book ever written.

Ever read a book called "Balls" by former yankee and PADRES third baseman Craig Nettles? Great baseball book.

Ever read a book called "Balls" by former yankee and PADRES third baseman Craig Nettles? Great baseball book.

Yup, I've read "Balls," that was a great book too. I scored a whole butt load of baseball books at a garage sale years ago, including that one, "Reggie" by Reggie Jackson, "Number One" by Billy Martin, "Sweet Lou" by Lou Piniella, and the grand-daddy of sports tell-alls, "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton, among several others. I love baseball stories!!

Yup, I've read "Balls," that was a great book too. I scored a whole butt load of baseball books at a garage sale years ago, including that one, "Reggie" by Reggie Jackson, "Number One" by Billy Martin, "Sweet Lou" by Lou Piniella, and the grand-daddy of sports tell-alls, "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton, among several others. I love baseball stories!!

I enjoy them too. I like anything that gives me a look behind the scenes.

Behind the scenes of balls? Hmmmm.....

Piqued your interest huh? :rofl2:

I was about to say, if you want to read a REAL "behind the scenes" about balls, Jenna Jameson has an autobiography out. :)

Just wondering how you'd do that. Bend over in the mirror?

Just wondering how you'd do that. Bend over in the mirror?

I am quite flexible. On topic. I just finished the latest Left Behind book too. I not very religious, but found the series interesting. I read the entire 12 book series, the 3 book prequel and am gearing up for the 3 book sequel.

Ludlum lately, lots of Ludlum. I love espionage stuff and his ranks up there with the best of 'em. Even the older stuff still holds up and doesn't feel too dated (other than a few technology issues). Just finishing up "The Aquitane Progression" and it's awesome IMHO. The only ones I stay away from are the newer ones that have his name on them but are written by other folks who don't write quite as well.

Clancy's hit and miss with me, but I read 'em anyway, some are good some are bad, and a few are REALLY good.

I also read a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy ala Terry Brooks, etc.

On another note, wouldn't "behind the scenes of balls" be "ass"? :blink:

I really tried to get into Clancy, but he goes on too many long winded off shoots of the main story. He does include alot of military detail in his stories though. After reading 'Hunt For Red October' I felt I could drive a nuclear submarine.

I really tried to get into Clancy, but he goes on too many long winded off shoots of the main story. He does include alot of military detail in his stories though. After reading 'Hunt For Red October' I felt I could drive a nuclear submarine.

True dat, sometimes they feel like they're detail oriented just for the sake of being long. I always think of them as "airplane" books. They're great to have with you on a long flight. :)

Dr. Seuss wrote good books too.

sometimes he wrote them in a zoo.

Sometimes he wrote them on a bus.

Regardless, he wrote them just for us.

I occasionally read Dr. Seuss' "Yertle The Turtle," "Oh, The Thinks You Can Think" and "The Sleep Book" to my son before bed time. Dr. Seuss is SO much fun to read out loud!!

Dr. Seuss wrote good books too.

sometimes he wrote them in a zoo.

Sometimes he wrote them on a bus.

Regardless, he wrote them just for us.

I occasionally read Dr. Seuss' "Yertle The Turtle," "Oh, The Thinks You Can Think" and "The Sleep Book" to my son before bed time. Dr. Seuss is SO much fun to read out loud!!

We're partial to "There's a Wocket in my Pocket" lately... :blink:

hmm, I mostly read historical or related bios or reviews!!!!!

I'm currently reading the latest Neil Gaiman's book :

photolargezy5.jpg

... And as always, it's awesome... This author is a genius !

Strongly recommanded !

Neil Gaiman gives us a mythology for a modern age -- complete with dark prophecy, family dysfunction, mystical deceptions, and killer birds. Not to mention a lime.

photolargezy5.jpg

Strongly recommanded !

Neil Gaiman gives us a mythology for a modern age -- complete with dark prophecy, family dysfunction, mystical deceptions, and killer birds. Not to mention a lime.

I love limes.

photolargezy5.jpg

Strongly recommanded !

Neil Gaiman is the guy who wrote the "Sandman" and "Books of Magic" graphic novels/comics, right? I didn't even know he was a novelist now. Shows you how far out of the loop I am. :)

I love limes.

Try this book Blue Charvel, you won't be disappointed... Neil Gaiman has also wrote a fantastic book with Terry Pratchett, called 'Good Omens' which will be probably adapted for the cinema by Terry Gilliam (:bowdown:)... Maybe you've already heard about this book...

Here's the official Neil Gaiman's website :

http://www.neilgaiman.com

:drink:

@Fat Freddy : Yes it's him ! He is better as a novelist IMO... And he was a great comic books scenarist !

@Fat Freddy : Yes it's him ! He is better as a novelist IMO... And he was a great comic books scenarist !

I'll have to give him a shot. I loved "Books of Magic" and "Sandman" back in my comic book days. How many novels has he written?

I love limes.

Try this book Blue Charvel, you won't be disappointed... Neil Gaiman has also wrote a fantastic book with Terry Pratchett, called 'Good Omens' which will be probably adapted for the cinema by Terry Gilliam (:bowdown:)... Maybe you've already heard about this book...

Here's the official Neil Gaiman's website :

http://www.neilgaiman.com

:drink:

Thanks for the tip, I will give him a try. :drink: