Mercyful Fate Vs. King Diamond Solo

Which do you like better?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had more arguments with my metal friends about the above topic. Some of my friends like Mercyful Fate and King Diamond equally, some think KD's solo stuff is better, but I personally have always liked Mercyful Fate better than the King's solo material. Thus, I figured I'd throw it out there for the masses to decide. Much of KD's solo stuff (post-ABIGAIL) just doesn't do much for me, whereas MF's material still gives me chills every time I listen to it. I dont' think the King sounds right without Hank Sherman and Michael Denner backing him up on guitars. Anyone else just doesn't cut it.

Your thoughts?

King Diamond for me too. First 5 albums are awesome classics which kept me enchanted for years! I can't care less for the albums after that...

Mercyful Fate first two are timeless classics too, and even "In the Shadows" was enjoyable, but after that pretty much like with KD albums they got way too repetitive for me to enjoy thoroughly.

I havent even checked "The Puppetmaster" yet, and this speaks volumes how indifferent I am to the new stuff, considering KD was my undisputed favourite band for about nearly a decade way back in the 80/90es.

KD, but mainly because the production (with the exception of "Them" <_< ) was much better. If the MF stuff had the same production values I'm pretty sure I would have gone with them instead. I always dug the "riff breaks" (for lack of a better term), where they just kick into a killer heavy riff that forces you to bang your head. That's just me though, and I have bad taste... :anon:

On the subject of "Them" though, what was up with that drum sound? I get more depth and resonance playing with my hands on my desk. Great album, great tunes, great playing (even the drums) but what a horrendously thin production IMHO. There, rant over, just had to get that out, no one else I know would even have a clue who or what I was talking about. :blink:

Wow... obviously I'm in the minority on this one. Oh well....

I think the constant concept-albums from King Diamond are what really keeps me from truly enjoying his solo material... except for a few exceptions, concept/story albums kinda bore me. I used to have everything of King's up till "The Eye" on cassette and it dawned on me that I never EVER listened to anything past "Abigail" anyway so I shit-canned the old tapes, got the Roadrunner Records "2 From The Vault" Re-issue of King's "Fatal Portrait/Abigail," and therefore I'm set on King's stuff for the rest of my life. :)

On the other hand, I'm still missing the last two MF albums ("Dead Again" and "9") but they're on my shopping list.

I saw MF on the "In The Shadows" tour in NYC in 1993 (on Halloween night, no less... is that not the PERFECT night for a Mercyful Fate show?) and it was one of the coolest concerts I've ever been to... the band, the night, the vibe, everything worked.

MF as a band are Smokin!! I just couldn't get into King's

Voice...But that band WOW!!

Hell yea, Michael Denner and Hank Shermann are one of THE great (and under-appreciated) guitar teams in metal in my book anyway...they should be up there with Tipton/Downing and Smith/Murray if the world were fair...

And I agree, King's voice IS definitely an acquired taste... he's certainly not for everybody! :)

MF as a band are Smokin!! I just couldn't get into King's

Voice...But that band WOW!!

Hell yea, Michael Denner and Hank Shermann are one of THE great (and under-appreciated) guitar teams in metal in my book anyway...they should be up there with Tipton/Downing and Smith/Murray if the world were fair...

And I agree, King's voice IS definitely an acquired taste... he's certainly not for everybody! :)

:agree: those guys should be up there!!

Mercyful Fate is ok, sometimes good sometimes downright terrible (Dead again...)

King Diamond is great, and I love every album apart from the pretty weak Fatal Portrait. I would urge anyone previously a fan to check out The Puppet Master, though. It IS the best he's done in many years. Probably since the brilliant Spider's Lullabye.

Mercyful Fate is ok, sometimes good sometimes downright terrible (Dead again...)

King Diamond is great, and I love every album apart from the pretty weak Fatal Portrait. I would urge anyone previously a fan to check out The Puppet Master, though. It IS the best he's done in many years. Probably since the brilliant Spider's Lullabye.

I've heard that "Dead Again" is not one of MF's best... that's why I haven't gotten around to adding that one to the collection yet :)

"Pretty weak" Fatal Portrait? That's my favorite King solo disc (the other being "Abigail," the rest I can take or leave)... maybe cuz it basically sounded like a third MF album.

Just got MF 'In the Shadows'...Egypt is a Killer...The Kin'gs

voice isn't as screechie as usual IMO, in fact it's good!

"In The Shadows" is an excellent album, Metalhead... as is the follow up, "TIME" from 1994... try that one out next if you're diggin' "Shadows"

Just got MF 'In the Shadows'...Egypt is a Killer...The Kin'gs

voice isn't as screechie as usual IMO, in fact it's good!

"In The Shadows" is an excellent album, Metalhead... as is the follow up, "TIME" from 1994... try that one out next if you're diggin' "Shadows"

Will do!!! Jammin to MF right now...Man the Guitars are so killer

it's not even funny...though guys can play!!!I got some new licks to steal!!! :dance:

And if you want the all-time greatest MF disc (and one of the all time greatest METAL albums, period, IMHO) pick up DON'T BREAK THE OATH... one of the best album covers of the '80s too... nothing screams "METAL!" like putting a big ol' flamin' Satan on your album cover!! \m/

• 1 year later...

I chose MF. Those discs just sound so fricking good.

I love KD solo as well but I think MF was much better.

Wow... obviously I'm in the minority on this one. Oh well....

I think the constant concept-albums from King Diamond are what really keeps me from truly enjoying his solo material... except for a few exceptions, concept/story albums kinda bore me. I used to have everything of King's up till "The Eye" on cassette and it dawned on me that I never EVER listened to anything past "Abigail" anyway so I shit-canned the old tapes, got the Roadrunner Records "2 From The Vault" Re-issue of King's "Fatal Portrait/Abigail," and therefore I'm set on King's stuff for the rest of my life. :)

On the other hand, I'm still missing the last two MF albums ("Dead Again" and "9") but they're on my shopping list.

I saw MF on the "In The Shadows" tour in NYC in 1993 (on Halloween night, no less... is that not the PERFECT night for a Mercyful Fate show?) and it was one of the coolest concerts I've ever been to... the band, the night, the vibe, everything worked.

I picked King Diamond's solo stuff too, but I had to REALLY think about it... I mean there are obvious similarities between the two bands.. ALthough I think KD's solo stuff is much more in the "Horror" Vibe than MF's stuff Ya know??

The ONLY KD album I simply can't stomach is "Them" Ugh that was just terrible.....*L* I have it on tape somewhere, Haven't bothered upgrading it to CD yet and it's been almost 20 years, so that should tell you something..*L*

And I can't go through a Holiday season without blasting "No Presents For Christmas"!!! Drives My wife insane..*L*

I've heard that "Dead Again" is not one of MF's best... that's why I haven't gotten around to adding that one to the collection yet :)

Oh man Dead Again is one of my favorites by MF. There's a song on it called "The Night" and it has the coolest opening with the some of the best power chords you ever heard. Then there's Mandrake, Crossroads and Sucking Your Blood all great tunes...it's a must by if you don't already have it yet.

I actually picked up "Dead Again" via Lala.com a few months back, and it IS pretty good, but as far as the "reunion era" MF goes I preferred 9 and TIME. (my two faves out of their 90s stuff)

DON'T BREAK THE OATH is still their masterwork though. Nothing they did before or since has touched that album. :bowdown:

I actually picked up "Dead Again" via Lala.com a few months back, and it IS pretty good, but as far as the "reunion era" MF goes I preferred 9 and TIME. (my two faves out of their 90s stuff)

DON'T BREAK THE OATH is still their masterwork though. Nothing they did before or since has touched that album. :bowdown:

9 is really good to the Church Of St. Anns is an awesome tune. OATH is like comparing MASTER to the rest of Metallica's catalog.

I'm actually happy to see that someone out there really digs "Dead again". It would be such a waste to record and release an album if everyone agreed it sucked!!

Now, if only I could get my blood rushing when listening to it...

• 1 year later...