RIOT CD'S

Dave

It seems as though Metal Blade Records have unloaded alot of Riot cd's as you can pick up LIVE IN JAPAN , SHINE ON , NIGHTBREAKER and BRETHEN OF THE LONG HOUSE on ebay from 99 cents to $2.50 each and there is plenty of them.

I picked up all four of them for $3.96 BRAND NEW. :banana:

It seems as though Metal Blade Records have unloaded alot of Riot cd's as you can pick up LIVE IN JAPAN , SHINE ON , NIGHTBREAKER and BRETHEN OF THE LONG HOUSE on ebay from 99 cents to $2.50 each and there is plenty of them.

I picked up all four of them for $3.96 BRAND NEW. :banana:

Metal Blade Records certainly are selling them off cheap. :drink:

http://music.search.ebay.com/riot_Wholesal...Z1QQsacatZ31608

Cool, now I can cover my bedroom walls in Nightbreaker cd's cheaper than it would cost to paint it. :tumbsup: I wonder how my wife would feel about that... :unsure:

I noticed they have several lots for sale, I wonder if this is a money trouble thing or just clearing some inventory.

Hmmm... I've been meaning to add some Riot stuff to my collection, but I don't think I need 30 copies of the same disc... :)

Riot is one band I've always meant to check out but other than a few odd songs here and there I've never bought any of their CDs. Any recommendations on where to start??

Hmmm... I've been meaning to add some Riot stuff to my collection, but I don't think I need 30 copies of the same disc... :)

Riot is one band I've always meant to check out but other than a few odd songs here and there I've never bought any of their CDs. Any recommendations on where to start??

The first three albums are gems and Through The Storm is one gem that has slipped under the radar.Very underrated :tumbsup:

For me their stuff with Tony Moore on vocals is light years ahead of everything else they ever recorded! So I personally have only 3 RIOT CDs in my collection:

THUNDERSTEEL 1988

PRIVILEGE OF POWER 1990

LIVE IN JAPAN 1992

NIGHTBREAKER and BRETHEN OF THE LONG HOUSE are not listed on HH...

are these any good? what are they etc

Yes they are very good. Brethen is a concept album based on American Indians. Nightbreaker was the first Mike Dimeo release and Brethen was his second album with the group.

I personally love all the lineups of this group. The early stuff with Speranza kicks ass and is NWOBHM before that genre existed. The Rhett Forester years was great as was the Tony Moore years, but I got into this group in 1998 so Mike Dimeo has always been my favorite. Sons of Society and Through the Storm are very underated releases, and MIke's voice on these are amazing. The cocept album Inishmore is also very good. This band is one of the most amazing but still underated bands of all time. It blows my mind how many hard rock and metal fans don't even know who this band is. Every time I ask someone if they know the band Riot their response is always - Quiet Riot?? :doh:

NIGHTBREAKER and BRETHEN OF THE LONG HOUSE are not listed on HH...

are these any good? what are they etc

Every time I ask someone if they know the band Riot their response is always - Quiet Riot?? :doh:

I have the same problem with Rage (German power metal band)... I tell people I dig Rage and they think I mean Rage Against The Machine (Arrrrgh!)

But as far as Riot goes, they're one of those bands I've always heard OF but never really HEARD. I think I may have heard one or two odd tracks here and there, been reading about'em in mags and online for what seems like forever. Does this band have a best-of release of some sort for an interested newbie like me to use as a starting point?

I have the same problem with Rage (German power metal band)... I tell people I dig Rage and they think I mean Rage Against The Machine (Arrrrgh!)

But as far as Riot goes, they're one of those bands I've always heard OF but never really HEARD. I think I may have heard one or two odd tracks here and there, been reading about'em in mags and online for what seems like forever. Does this band have a best-of release of some sort for an interested newbie like me to use as a starting point?

Okay, here is the deal, if you dig badass power/speed metal with shredding gutards and screaming vocals, like APOCRYPHA, or Painkiller-era JUDAS PRIEST for example, then go and pick RIOT - Thundersteel (or Privilege of Power). Those two albums only.

If you dig nwobhm - go pick first two RIOT albums, they are classics!

Finally, if you are into traditional classic heavy metal - check the rest of their discography. All their albums are solid traditional heavy metal. But be aware, they are one of those bands like KISS: if you grew up with their albums you will love em to death, if not, you probably wont like em no matter what :)

" if you grew up with their albums you will love em to death, if not, you probably wont like em no matter what "

that line worries me...

Sorry man, take it as my personal opinion only - that's how I felt about their early albums (I got hooked to Thundersteel in 1989). I adore 88 and 90, but dont bother for the rest. I'm sure there are plenty of people the other way around, as well as those who love them all, or hate them all.

In any case you should try checking some mp3s and deciding for yourself.

In this order:

1)Fire Down Under - Guy Speranza vocals(R.I.P.) Their best ever IMO.

2)Restless Breed - Rhett Forrester vocals(also R.I.P.) Classic!

3)Thundersteel - Tony Moore vocals. I would agree that he was their best vocalist.

4)Born In America - Rhett Forrester vocals

5)Privelege Of Power - Tony Moore vocals

2 other earlier releases in Rock City & Narita with Speranza which are good too, but may sound dated to some ears..

Anything with Mike Dimeo is average at best in my book...

Okay, here is the deal, if you dig badass power/speed metal with shredding gutards and screaming vocals, like APOCRYPHA, or Painkiller-era JUDAS PRIEST for example, then go and pick RIOT - Thundersteel (or Privilege of Power). Those two albums only.

If you dig nwobhm - go pick first two RIOT albums, they are classics!

Finally, if you are into traditional classic heavy metal - check the rest of their discography. All their albums are solid traditional heavy metal. But be aware, they are one of those bands like KISS: if you grew up with their albums you will love em to death, if not, you probably wont like em no matter what :)

Stormspell and I seem to agree on a lot of stuff so it sounds like the "Thundersteel" stuff would be the Riot period for me! Thanks for the tip man!

Thundersteel would be my least liked.Not a big wrap for speed metal :drink:

I like Riot a lot but didn't bother after Thundersteel as I thought their direction had changed to speed metal for good. Did they change tack again?

Anyway for the record I'd go with

1) Fire Down Under

2) Restless Breed

3) Rock City

4) Live (the CD version with the xtra tracks)

5) Born in America

6) Narita

I like Riot a lot but didn't bother after Thundersteel as I thought their direction had changed to speed metal for good. Did they change tack again?

Anyway for the record I'd go with

1) Fire Down Under

2) Restless Breed

3) Rock City

4) Live (the CD version with the xtra tracks)

5) Born in America

6) Narita

The releases since Mike Dimeo joined are more hard rock. The closest I could compare it to is Rainbow, but that's not really a great comparison. The two with Tony Moore were traditional or power metal but after he left it's been classic hard rock ever since.

• 4 years later...