Metal Church

Favorite Metal Church album?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's another poll inspired by a chat Martinsane and I were having in another thread... which Metal Church studio album is your favorite? For me it's a toss up between the S/T debut and 1989's BLESSING IN DISGUISE, but in honor of the late David Wayne, the S/T gets the nod here. BEEEEEEEEYOOOOONNND.... THE...BLAAAAAAAACK!!! :)

Been cranking the S/T all week. Which gets my vote. The production on this cd is brilliant. Top notch metal/hard rock. 2nd would be The Dark, I enjoy the Howe stuff, but Wayne was Metal Church. Listen to his Reverand works and then Masterpiece or his Wayne-Metal Church release!!!!!!!!! Brilliant vocalist.

"Metal Church the only Church!"

Thanks Freddy my East coast twin. :)

>>Thanks Freddy my East coast twin.

Heh heh, no prob Martinsane... let's just say that great minds obviously think alike (and listen to a lot of the same bands) :)

>>My neck gets sore just thinking about it...

Back in the olden days the original LP pressing of the first MC album came with a merchandise order sheet that included an "Official Metal Church Banger Battalions Neck Brace," a neck brace with the MC logo on it. Always wanted one of those. :)

Was just checking out the Metal Church web site and in case anyone's interested they have some interesting goodies in the "downloads" section... like "Big Guns" (the extra track from the Ground Zero pressing of the first LP), some stuff from their early 80s demos, and a bonus track "Low To Overdrive" which was on the Japanese version of 1993's HANGING IN THE BALANCE... nice to hear some "new" Church stuff, especially with the late David Wayne on vocals...

As for the current Metal Church, I believe their new CD is due out in May or June of this year... Jeff Plate (Savatage) is their new drummer and it should be interesting listening... I liked WEIGHT OF THE WORLD more than I expected to...

METAL CHURCH just got added to the MOR bill too! This summer's eddition of the festival is going to have a hell of a line up! Just check it out:

MOR_2006.jpg

Can't wait to see Gamma Ray, Edguy, Gotthard and Victory again, plus all serious thrash artillery!

I am dying with jealousy every time I read one of your posts, Stormspell...

One of my great regrets in life is that I didn't go to a Monsters of Rock in Nuremberg while I was in West Germany in the summer of 1987 (I was an exchange student on a school trip)... the lineup included Deep Purple, Dio, Metallica, Ratt, Helloween, and Pretty Maids. Probably a few others too but those are the bands I remember. My friend and I saw posters being hung for this concert in the subways around Frankfurt (where we were staying) and thought "DUDE, we GOTTA go to this!" Unfortunately it was happening only a day or so before we were due to head back to the USA and knowing my friend and I, we probably would've been too drunk, lost, or broke after the festival to find our way back to Frankfurt in time to make our plane, so we passed on it. I've been kicking myself ever since and it's been nearly 20 years.

On the other hand, about a year and a half, two years later I found an excellent quality bootleg LP of the Metallica set from that festival, so I at least have an idea of what I missed... :)

One of my great regrets in life is that I didn't go to a Monsters of Rock in Nuremberg while I was in West Germany in the summer of 1987 (I was an exchange student on a school trip)... the lineup included Deep Purple, Dio, Metallica, Ratt, Helloween, and Pretty Maids. Probably a few others too but those are the bands I remember. My friend and I saw posters being hung for this concert in the subways around Frankfurt (where we were staying) and thought "DUDE, we GOTTA go to this!" Unfortunately it was happening only a day or so before we were due to head back to the USA and knowing my friend and I, we probably would've been too drunk, lost, or broke after the festival to find our way back to Frankfurt in time to make our plane, so we passed on it. I've been kicking myself ever since and it's been nearly 20 years.

On the other hand, about a year and a half, two years later I found an excellent quality bootleg LP of the Metallica set from that festival, so I at least have an idea of what I missed... :)

Yeah, 08/29/87 MOR in Nьrnberg was great fest! CINDERELLA were there too by the way :)

I know, I'm the worst teaser on earth, sorry :gone:

Stormspell, you were AT that Monsters of Rock?? Dude, YOU SUCK! :) I'm kidding of course... but you're KILLIN' ME, I swear...

Stormspell, you were AT that Monsters of Rock?? Dude, YOU SUCK! :) I'm kidding of course... but you're KILLIN' ME, I swear...

Relax man, I wasnt, just couldnt resist pulling your leg :)

In fact I grieve like you coz at that time I too was in Germany, but I was only 16 yo and my older cousin (the only perosn in the family who could be persuaded going to such event) had to work and could not take me there. So I settled on watching some TV footage instead.

I had my little redemption during my next visit to Germany when my cousin finally gave up and took me to see Assassin, Sabbat, and Running Wild show :headbanger:

• 2 weeks later...

I went with "Blessing...". What vocals and riffs. A near perfect metal album..

You can't really go wrong with anything up to and including "Human Factor" in my book... from "Hanging in the Balance" (voice of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons: "Worst...album cover...EVER") onward, though, it gets a little "iffy"

I went for "Blessing In Disguise", is just crushingly heavy. Not really a fan of much after it, to be honest, but the combo of plodding doomy-guitar & screeching vocals was awesome on this disc...

I went for "Blessing In Disguise", is just crushingly heavy.  Not really a fan of much after it, to be honest, but the combo of plodding doomy-guitar & screeching vocals was awesome on this disc...

I always loved the song "Anthem To The Estranged" on Blessing In Disguise... the way it ebbs and flows, from mellow to heavy and back again, always gives me chills. One of Metal Church's best (and under-appreciated) tracks...

• 1 year later...

I remember that story Man... And I was with You in the Village when You bought that bootleg too!!

Ahhh... Good times.....

Oh as for the poll???

Ummmm... It's a toss up.. but I went with the classic debut album....

Human Factor was right up there too.....

• 1 year later...