Favorite Overkill Album?

Which is the best Overkill studio album?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Martinsane and I were having a nice lil' chat about Overkill in another thread so I thought I'd post my first-ever poll to see which Kill CD is the favorite amongst the H.H. 'banger community. Thrash on.... :headbanger:

By the way, my vote goes to 1997's FROM THE UNDERGROUND AND BELOW but my favorite Overkill CD changes almost constantly (the only CD of theirs that I DON'T care for is I HEAR BLACK) so if you asked me tomorrow I would probably give you a different answer...

WELCOME TO THE GUTTER...WE'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU!!! HAHAHAHAHAAA!

Akin to Freddy could easily play the catolog from beginning to end and still want more...Love these guys.

Had to go for Under the Influence, just because this cd took my Kill cherry, so to speak.

*hey Kill Cherry, what a great band name.*

I had the extreme pleasure of catching them live on thier current tour w/PRONG on Feb. 27 in Minneapolis.

Hadn't seen them live since December of 1989 in Florida & their show totally kicked ass! Blitz was cordial enough to come out to the bar area after the gig and meet with the fans & do some signing - got my new OVERKILL long sleeve tour tee autographed!!

I voted for the debut Feel The Fire - the raw energy on that one still holds up after all these years for me. Years of Decay would be a close 2nd...

Nice choices guys. My personal "top three" Kill discs are FEEL THE FIRE, HORRORSCOPE and the aforementioned FROM THE UNDERGROUND AND BELOW (which got my vote today cuz it was spinning in my car stereo this AM), but truthfully you can't really go wrong with any of their stuff, can you?

I agree, by the way, "Kill Cherry" would be an excellent band name. Isn't that guy Jacob M. looking for a name for his band? We should pass the suggestion along. :)

I voted for Taking Over as it's the only Overkill album I've heard. Really like it tho' :banger: ! I may have to track down Under The Influence.

Stormspell, seriously dude, look into FROM THE UNDERGROUND AND BELOW or NECROSHINE (1997 and 1999, respectively) cuz I really think Overkill got HEAVIER during the '90s while everybody else was going flannel...

Stormspell, seriously dude, look into FROM THE UNDERGROUND AND BELOW or NECROSHINE (1997 and 1999, respectively) cuz I really think Overkill got HEAVIER during the '90s while everybody else was going flannel...

Mmm, may give then a chance if see them for bargain cheap someplace. I'm not completist and dont buy CD just to fill in complete discodraphies in my collection, and after "experiencing" I Hear Black" I put a fat bold jucy cross on Overkill :). But then that's what I did with lots of other 80es thrash bands, like Metallica, Anthrax, Forbidden, Slayer, so I guess I'm just and old prick, heh

I still bang regularly on everything up to Horroscope, and looking forward towards this summer's Monsters of Rock where they are supposed to play. Hope they will play old stuff mostly :)

Oh yea, I totally agree, 'I Hear Black" sucked. It took them a while to get back in my good graces after that album. But I saw them live in 94 when they were touring the follow up (W.F.O.) and they kicked so much ass that I forgave them for that one little burp in their catalog :)

I read somewhere that during Overkill's festival run last year, they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Feel The Fire" by playing the entire album at the top of the set... then doing the rest of the good stuff. I wish I could've seen that... my neck would probably still be sore today... !

Onslaught? COOL! With or without Steve Grimmett?

I read somewhere that during Overkill's festival run last year, they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Feel The Fire" by playing the entire album at the top of the set... then doing the rest of the good stuff. I wish I could've seen that... my neck would probably still be sore today... !

Onslaught? COOL! With or without Steve Grimmett?

Damn! Overkill was set to play last year, but canceled due to some problems with Bobby's health. I'd have LOVED to see the entire "Feel the Fire" set!

Onslaught are without Grimmett (poor guy hit 350+ pounds recently and is no fit to tour anymore, I was told) - they are in the classic 1986 line-up plus second guitar player (a new guy).

Bobby's lucky to still be walking around, considering that he's survived an on-stage stroke (thankfully minor) and a bout with skin cancer in the last decade... he's the real "Iron Man" of metal!

Grimmett's in bad shape huh? That might explain why the Grim Reaper reunion rumors I keep hearing about always seem to get shot down at the last minute... shame

Bobby's lucky to still be walking around, considering that he's survived an on-stage stroke (thankfully minor) and a bout with skin cancer in the last decade... he's the real "Iron Man" of metal!

Grimmett's in bad shape huh? That might explain why the Grim Reaper reunion rumors I keep hearing about always seem to get shot down at the last minute... shame

Hope Bobby will hang around for awhile!

That's what I heard about Grimmett. Hope he can pull it through and make this Grim Reaper reuinon fact!

I believe I heard that Grimmett is doing a Grim Reaper set at some festival in Europe this summer but Nick Bowcott isn't involved so I don't think he can legally call it "Grim Reaper"...I guess Bowcott has equal share of the name. Maybe he can call it "Steve Grimmett's Grim Reaper," like "Oliver/Dawson Saxon" or "Mike Tramp's White Lion" :)

I would give my left nut to go to one of those Euro festivals someday. I read about'em in magazines and on the web and I just drool...

I would give my left nut to go to one of those Euro festivals someday. I read about'em in magazines and on the web and I just drool...

Its not so expensive, if you buy airtickets ahead of time you can go for even under $1000 round trip. The biggest problem is with vacation times, that's why I enjoy sooo much of being freelancer. Dont make nearly as much as 8-to-5 working people, but can take my hat and spend 2 months every summer in good ole Europe, which is priceless in my opinion! :banana:

I wish you to make it there one day. European festivals are completely different experience from what passes for such here (Ozzfest, :puke: ).

If you can, go to Keep It True! This one still carries the 80es spirit all around! Great nostalgia

Ha, I'd love to jump on a plane and hit one of those fests, but if I were going to do it I should've done so when I was single and in my 20s. Now I'm an old married guy whose spouse & kid probably wouldn't like it much if I dropped everything and disappeared to Europe for a week. Sure would be sweet. Maybe I'll do it when I hit 40 to celebrate my midlife crisis with some of my favorite old school bands! :)

• 2 weeks later...

necroshine...just had the pleasure to catch Overkill last month..they put on a great live show

"The Years of Decay" was their masterpiece. "Horrorscope" was great too, but the worst by a million miles is "I Hear Black". The lastest "ReliXIV" album is okay, but I really miss the big production budgets of the 80's/90's as it really suffers...

Great band.

"The Years of Decay" was their masterpiece.  "Horrorscope" was great too, but the worst by a million miles is "I Hear Black".  The lastest "ReliXIV" album is okay, but I really miss the big production budgets of the 80's/90's as it really suffers...

Great band.

Years of Decay is certainly a great CD... I saw them three times (!) on that tour back in the day. I got my ticket stub autographed by Bobby Gustafson at the third show, an outdoor gig at Ramapo College in NJ in the summer of '90. Turned out to be his last show with the band cuz they announced his departure a short time later!

I get a kick out of the song "Old School" on RELIXIV cuz it mentions some of the old clubs in NYC that I used to see them in back in the day like the Ritz in Manhattan and L'amour in Brooklyn... man, those were the days...