Anyone notice this strange seller

Here's a seller on E Bay with (0) feedback who claims to be in Hawaii and sells only to Great Britian. His auctions are for two identical Frontier - You Got To Believe CDs and he accepts only cash.......

Wow.....flags and whistles all over the place.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=ADME:B:SS:US:1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=ADME:B:SS:US:1

It does say he'll ship worldwide in the description. Definite red flags, but he could also (being new to eBay) have just ballsed-up his submission...

Just as a side note.....e bay has a new policy that forbids sellers from requesting cash payments or outside money transfers such as Western Union.....!!! It is suppose to discourage fraudulent sellers.

And yes, I do see now that he does ship worldwide. What's so puzzling here as well....he is selling in British Sterling and focusing his sales to Great Britian.....strange behavior in my opinion.

Just as a side note.....e bay has a new policy that forbids sellers from requesting cash payments or outside money transfers such as Western Union.....!!!  It is suppose to discourage fraudulent sellers.

Hey Del, where did you see this policy? I'm just curious to read it.

If it is true it will force US sellers to accept ONLY PayPal from international buyers as the only valid payment method, and that's something I'm not keen on!

Talk about monopistic behaviour! :doh:

Last night I was relisting a few CDs that didn't sell in my past two auctions. The first was a Japanase pressing of Megadeth's "Peace Sells, But Whose Buying". In my item description, I had listed that I accept cash (at the buyer's risk), Western Union and Bidpay besides the regular money orders and Paypal. After I clicked to upload to E Bay, I got a message that the listing was rejected and a box came up at the bottom of the page with an E bay policy stating that effective Feb 22, 2006 sellers could no longer promote accepting cash payments or payments made off line such as Western Union because it promoted fraudulent sales.......there was also a note that said it had been effective in December, however, E Bay suspended enforcement until after the Christmas holidays !!!?????

There was also another box that said my item was rejected because I had indicated the CD was a JAP w/OBI. The box said that new e bay policy forbids the use of deroggatory terms such as "jap" and others. I had to change my listing to reflect Japan w/OBI and also eliminated the notice that I accept cash payments and Western Union. After I had done that, the listing was accepted as normal. I've been searching E Bay to try and find this policy, but, so far, haven't found it......it has to be there somewhere.....

It does say he'll ship worldwide in the description.  Definite red flags, but he could also (being new to eBay) have just ballsed-up his submission...

But right at the bottom it says available to UK only.

Strange: 2 different ebay names, different prices and shipping cost, but identical description and picture.

I'd stay away !

I'm guessing "jap" would now fall under Ebay's profanity policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-profanity.html

Vulgar language is prohibited on eBay

eBay does not allow the use of profanity or patently vulgar language. This includes the use of language that is racist, hateful, sexual, or obscene in nature in a public area. This policy extends to text within listings, on About Me pages and in eBay Stores.

-----------------------------------------

Here's the current Payment Policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/safe-p...nts-policy.html

Safe Payments Policy

eBay wants to ensure that the marketplace offers an array of safe and convenient payment choices for its buyers. As described in our safe buying guide, eBay strongly encourages sellers to offer payments through PayPal – PayPal is not only convenient to use, but it also offers buyers and sellers industry leading protection against fraud, chargebacks and theft of financial data. Merchants with their own merchant credit card processing account, and those who use a third-party processor, may also offer their buyers the option of paying directly with a credit card online (including through third party checkout) or by phone.

From time to time, as new payment services arise, eBay will evaluate them to determine whether they may present trust and safety concerns and are appropriate for the marketplace. eBay will consider the following factors, among others, in making its determination:

Whether the payment model offers substantial financial, privacy and anti-fraud protection for buyers and sellers

Whether the payment model raises the potential for confusion among eBay users, or involves incentives that may present fraud concerns

Whether the payment model involves precious metals, or other non-cash (points, miles, minutes, coupons, discounts) as consideration

Whether the payment service has a substantial historical track record of providing safe and reliable financial and/or banking related services (new services without such a track record generally cannot be promoted on eBay)

The identity, background and other business interests of the payment service sponsor

The license/regulatory status of the payment provider in the countries where it provides payment services

Offline payment methods generally do not offer the same level of protection or convenience as online payments. Nonetheless, they may be appropriate for certain types of transactions and sellers may use listings to offer acceptance of most valid financial instruments including personal checks, cashier’s checks, money orders or COD.

Policy

Permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including Mastercard/Visa /Amex/Discover, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases. Sellers may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers. Sellers may accept COD (cash on delivery) or cash for in person transactions. Sellers may offer to accept payment through Certapay and Propay. Sellers may offer to accept personal checks, money orders, cashier’s checks, certified checks and other negotiable instruments.

Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Sellers may not ask buyers to pay with Stormpay. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

This policy does not affect any payment method commonly offered on eBay today. However, there are some sellers who have listings offering to accept cash and Western Union instant cash transfer, and a few who offer other payment methods that are not permitted under this policy. To avoid disruption of these sellers’ business during the holiday shopping season, eBay will delay enforcement of this policy against existing payment methods until Jan 15, 2006. This policy will be localized for other eBay sites in the coming months.

That's sick, provided US banks are sooo ignorant charging ridiculous direct transfer fees, and there is no way for me to accept "international money order" from exotic places and try to deposit it in my bank account facing NSF penalties!

eBay are screw ups, so no more sales to South America and big part of Europe!

Ebay can not tell you what kind of payment you can or can not accept, sure they say you can not list it in your auctions descriptions, but if you chose to email "the buyer" and offer them those types of payment options, there is not a thing in the world ebay can do to you........Sounds to me like ebay is trying to "bully" more and more people into using paypal........

Later

Lon

Ebay can not tell you what kind of payment you can or can not accept, sure they say you can not list it in your auctions descriptions, but if you chose to email "the buyer" and offer them those types of payment options, there is not a thing in the world ebay can do to you........Sounds to me like ebay is trying to "bully" more and more people into using paypal........

Later

Lon

Aye, that's what they do.

I guess if a buyer contacts squaretrade and complains his "cash in the mail" got lost and the seller wont refund, eBay would do some nasty things to the seller... what a wonderful new opportunity for Jamez Arwhine to explore <_<

Later

Lon

There are two potential problems with that.

Firstly, some people will not bid on your auctions if they do not have Paypal, losing you potential customers.

You would have to be online when your auctions end in case of instant payment (not really a problem as such, but obviously those buyers will never be given the choice).

Why anybody bothers listing that much On Ebay anymore is a mystery to me..

the last two weeks have had horrific technical problems,bugs keep items not showing up in search,.Store items being added in greater numbers which buries everything and items bought and paid for not showing up in 'My Ebay'..that coupled with the decline in buyers makes Ebay a losing proposition for a lot of people...certainly not what it used to be...

Why anybody bothers listing that much On Ebay anymore is a mystery to me..

the last two weeks have had horrific technical problems,bugs keep items not showing up in search,.Store items being added in greater numbers which buries everything and items bought and paid for not showing up in 'My Ebay'..that coupled with the decline in buyers makes Ebay a losing proposition for a lot of people...certainly not what it used to be...

I'm still having a good degree of success on eBay... mind you, I haven't experienced any technical trouble like you Relay. Is it ebay.ca or ebay.com where this occurred?

yes you are Koogs..

Haven't you been reading the message boards?-items aren't showing up in searches

store items getting lost in the shuffle..etc what I previously mentioned..check out the 'technical issues Board, and Search board on the discussion forums..

Yes you are having a lot of success, and your definitely one of the few I know of..I see lots of great items from other sellers closing at 4.99-one bid or even lower...I'm sure a lot of the items that get sold only cost the seller pennies but to make maybe a 2 or 3 dollar profit hardly seems worth it.....I sell only at a fixed price now, and only on a discounted listing day..its just too expensive..and by the way I list on .com..

Pm me Koogs or send me an e mail-always interested in what you have to say...

In my opinion eBay is still the best open market online by far, and one can make decent profit if manages to find a niche of his own offering unique one of a kind products. That's the only way to success, otherwise with all major labels and distributors eBaying stuff at wholesale prices, and all those cheap "rare imports" its nothing but logical most of the CDs out there pass unnoticed or sell for next to nothing.

I can't remember even when was the last time I bid for something on eBay - its no fun anymore, but people know it and always end up going there for their needs.

Ebay is gonna wind up shooting themselves in the foot, thanks to good ole greed.

They keep making ridiculous rules, and want you to be forced to use paypal and pay even more seller fees.

I had 5 auctions close, because I cant accept paypal with only checking account or paypal balance. I have to upgrade my paypal account in order to say I accept it with credit cards as well. Thats fucking bogus.

I really hate scumbag greedy fucks, and have no remorse to any misfortunes people like that run into in life.

I just posted a huge list tonight (huge for me...approx 183 items) and they all mention cash payment. I had no issues so who knows what the deal is regarding that.

As for the technical problems, I has auctions end this past Sunday and it went perfectly. However, the couple times before that, the confirmation emails were not being sent (or showing up in my eBay) until the time the auction ended only in PST. So, when the auction actually ended at 3 EST, it waited until 3 PST (3 hours later) to release everything. Like I said, I had no issues this past Sunday so I hope it is all behind them.

Regarding sales...they are terrible for the extreme metal sector. I used to be able to start things around $8 and do pretty well (many items would get bid up to around $10). I'm now down to $5 starting and most don't move much. There are just way to many people selling on there now. Dah well.