Retrospect Records News

It's official! Due to complications with their previous label , Tainted Angel has now officially signed with Retrospect Records for the SILVER re-issue of "A Little Heaven" which will be packaged differently than the original and include 2 bonus tracks.

To coincide with the re-issue of 'A Little Heaven' , Tainted Angel (after 15 years) has just entered the studio to record the follow-up album , which promises to be pure 80s Hard Rock the way we like it.

Line-up for the new album will be

Rusty Wilmot - Vocals

Lynn Edward Glezen - Guitars

Robert Sweet (Stryper) - Drums

Sam McCaslin - Keyboards

Also expect some surprise guest vocalists (Ron Keel , Terry Ilous , Paul Shortino anyone?)

In other news , Sam has also been asked to appear on the new Jeff Northrup (King Kobra , XYZ) album AND the new Ron Keel album , which will feature 'unplugged' versions of Keel / Steeler classics.

Saving the best for last....Retrospect is excited to announce that they have added a worldwide platinum-selling legend to the roster which is bound to stir up a few waves in the hard rock community. A beautifully-packaged CD/DVD set is in the works. Details to follow soon...

Keep Rockin and thanks for your support....

COMING SOON....

NewCity Rockers , XL New York , Brinx , Dreamstreet (pre-Defcon) , Cracked Actor , Mariah '3' (saving the best for last!).

What other artists do some of these bands compare to?

NewCity Rockers , XL New York , Brinx , Dreamstreet (pre-Defcon) , Cracked Actor

I heard the samples of Mariah last night... holy f*ck, how awesome. Same with Friction, Manila Thrills and Defcon - seriously, how did these dudes not get signed? I have to admit I thought they might end up being Spiced Ice-like (IMO) very shabby second rate hard rock that never (IMO) deserved a re-release, but these guys all sounded awesome!!! I hope to get them soon.

Was Lazarus released on Retrospect or was that another label?

And if Mariah were never signed, how do they have 3 albums worth of material out there? Why did they keep recording and never sign?

Man I need some money quick!!!

What other artists do some of these bands compare to?

NewCity Rockers , XL New York , Brinx , Dreamstreet (pre-Defcon) , Cracked Actor

NewCity Rockers = original release 1987. Includes 2 bonus tracks. These guys had a charted billboard hit in 1987 (#61) with their version of Led Zep's 'Black Dog' - maybe some of you remember that. Well anyhoo , they also covered Treat's 'Rev It Up'. They have a very 80s AOR-type of sound.

XL New York = originally recorded between 1984 and 1990 , this has never seen a release in ANY format. Holy hell , these guys are right up there with Defcon when it comes to killer vocals , huge choruses and smokin' guitar work. Defcon fans prepare!

Brinx = original release 1989 , keyboardy-AOR like a 2nd tier Rio 'Borderland' , Preview , Survivor , Refugee , Tobruk , Haywire or Zinatra. Production could be better.

Dreamstreet (pre-Defcon) = original release 1986....more AOR than Defcon but features Nick Lepar and Tony Artino from Defcon with the singer from 70s band Breathless. Like Foreigner.

Cracked Actor = original release 1989 - female-fronted 80s AOR / Hair Metal similar to Femme Fatale , Vixen , Joanna Dean , Chrissy Steele , Toronto.

ALSO , Watch for DEFCON '2' - 11 more tracks of amazing never-before-released Hair Metal.

Mariah recorded a lot of material that was never officially released...until now. They tried like maniacs to get a deal but it just didn't happen....until now - LOL.

On the ones you say that the production could be better, is Sam going to possibly have them remixed or remastered to improve on that aspect?

On the ones you say that the production could be better, is Sam going to possibly have them remixed or remastered to improve on that aspect?

Good question. Whenever possible Sam has the original tapes remixed and/or remastered for optimum sound. Unfortunately some original 2 inch master tapes are either lost or owned by the studio where they were recorded. Therefore all Retrospect can do is do the best possible mastering-to-cd job with what is available.

I've heard some of NewCity Rockers & it's great stuff. Am seriously excited about another MARIAH release, how they were never signed is a travesty. I only hope these don't all come out at once as my post-Christmas funds will struggle to cope....

Will be great to hear more Mariah stuff & I agree with TIM, how they didn't get signed is indeed a mystery (can't wait for my discs to arrive now they are out). I would say the same with Defcon aswell - good news there will be more of their stuff released - absolutely love the s/t disc. The Dreamstreet & Brinx releases sound interesting aswell.

Will be great to hear more Mariah stuff & I agree with TIM, how they didn't get signed is indeed a mystery (can't wait for my discs to arrive now they are out). I would say the same with Defcon aswell - good news there will be more of their stuff released - absolutely love the s/t disc. The Dreamstreet & Brinx  releases sound interesting aswell.

Indeed. I didn't realise that Sam himself was a keyboard player... Hopefully that means some great AOR on Retrospect.... :banana:

Will be great to hear more Mariah stuff & I agree with TIM, how they didn't get signed is indeed a mystery (can't wait for my discs to arrive now they are out). I would say the same with Defcon aswell - good news there will be more of their stuff released - absolutely love the s/t disc. The Dreamstreet & Brinx  releases sound interesting aswell.

Indeed. I didn't realise that Sam himself was a keyboard player... Hopefully that means some great AOR on Retrospect.... :banana:

Yes , Sam has quite a resume. Besides playing on the 2004 Michael Schenker - Davey Pattison album , he has also recorded and/or played on stage with....

Neal Schon (Journey , Hardline) , Aynsley Dunbar (Journey) , Chris Slade (AC/DC , Asia , Manfred Mann , The Firm) , Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge , King Kobra , Blue Murder , Ozzy), Terry Ilous and XYZ , Sean McNabb (House of Lords) , Jeff Northrup (King Kobra), Gary Moon (Nightranger) , Matt Thompson (King Diamond) , Ron Keel , Greg Douglass (Steve Miller Band , Greg Kihn Band) , Joey Molland (Badfinger) , Ira Black (Vicious Rumors , Metal Church), Patrick Johansson (Yngwie Malmsteen) , Larry Hoppen (Orleans) , Joe Bouchard (Blue Oyster Cult), Paul Shortino (Rough Cutt , Quiet Riot) , Tony Montana (Great White) , Atma Anur (Richie Kotzen , Two Fires) and Toby Keith.

Sam was actually offered the keyboard spot on the last Malmsteen U.S. tour but he wasn't very confident about it seeing he only had about 5 days to learn the songs. :blink:

He is also considering filling the shoes of the Godly Gregg Giuffria in the band Angel - Frank Dimino lives in Vegas too and does a few shows every year. Another tough gig really IMO. If you'd like to hear some of his work I can post an MP3 file of his 'audition' for the power metal band Cellador who just got signed to Metal Blade. He does quite a ripping solo about 4 minutes in.

:band: <------ where's the keyboardist? :crazy:

Oh yeh , I forgot , Sam is currently in a Journey Tribute band called Raised On Radio with all the guys from Mistress and a Steve Perry-clone on vocals. I have MP3's of that band too , if you want to hear it. :banana:

I'd definitely be interested in hearing Sam's stuff... I'd imagine how tough the 'Angel' gig would've been, technically G.Giuffria is untouchable & the keys are so influencial in that material. Learning that stuff in a few weeks or so would be some challenge...

Do you think we should expect more AOR/POMP-style stuff on Retrospect, as opposed to the standard hair-metal?

Retrospect Records has reinforced something I feel I've also known recently. Although I have not yet heard the full Mariah, Defcon or Manila Thrills albums, from what I've heard they're just awesome. I don't know if any of these guys were ever signed but it goes to show me that there are 2 types of rare bands.

1) The over-rated indies people hype up, but in reality the albums are just a letdown and you wonder what the fuss is about (not all, but many IMO - eg. Spiced Ice). They just released their stuff on an indie label because in all honesty it was all they were worth. That doesn't apply to all indies by any means. It's great for some of the better bands to be re-released. Inside Out, Intuition, Crush etc. I feel all deserve re-releases. Spiced Ice, IMO, were just as well left on the shelf.

And then there is 2) The bands like Mariah, Defcon etc. that didn't release suff back in the day (i hope, or this is going to sond silly) because rather than sell themselves short with an indie release they knew they had the songs to seek out major label support... and I guess when it didn't come the songs got lost... until now. But I have seen recently (also eg. Blind Date) that there were some amazing bands out there around 1990, too good to release an album on an indie label (till now) and unforurtunate not to get big label backing. It's great to see it all available now so we can see what we all missed out on back then!!!

Sorry for the spill, but great to see a lot of this stuff seeing the light of day. :D

I'd definitely be interested in hearing Sam's stuff...  I'd imagine how tough the 'Angel' gig would've been, technically G.Giuffria is untouchable & the keys are so influencial in that material.  Learning that stuff in a few weeks or so would be some challenge...

Do you think we should expect more AOR/POMP-style stuff on Retrospect, as opposed to the standard hair-metal?

Yes Tim , I think you'll find more and more AOR/Pomp style bands showing up in the Retrospect catalog. Sam is a big fan of so many different styles of Hard Rock that he really supports anything he considers good. I can tell you that I know of about 50 releases sitting in limbo waiting to go into production....one of them being the album Phonogenic by RPM. Also an unreleased album by RPM and they are all being digitally remastered from the original tapes. Phonogenic may be released as a 2 cd set with the first album from RPM , again , digitally remastered from the original 1/2 inch tapes , unlike the MTM release which was taken from vinyl. Oh, and wait til you hear the re-release of the band SHARX!! It's an absolute monster of an AOR release!! So many 'unknowns' , so little time. Tim , I know for a fact that you're going to love XL New York.

And I think you should expect to see the release of R.A.F. 'The Heat's On' on cd for the first time also.

I don't want to give too many surprises away so I'll leave it at that.

Any particular titles you'd like to see re-issued on cd Tim?

I'd definitely be interested in hearing Sam's stuff...  I'd imagine how tough the 'Angel' gig would've been, technically G.Giuffria is untouchable & the keys are so influencial in that material.  Learning that stuff in a few weeks or so would be some challenge...

Yes Tim , I think you'll find more and more AOR/Pomp style bands showing up in the Retrospect catalog. Sam is a big fan of so many different styles of Hard Rock that he really supports anything he considers good. I can tell you that I know of about 50 releases sitting in limbo waiting to go into production....one of them being the album Phonogenic by RPM. Also an unreleased album by RPM and they are all being digitally remastered from the original tapes. Phonogenic may be released as a 2 cd set with the first album from RPM , again , digitally remastered from the original 1/2 inch tapes , unlike the MTM release which was taken from vinyl. Oh, and wait til you hear the re-release of the band SHARX!! It's an absolute monster of an AOR release!! So many 'unknowns' , so little time. Tim , I know for a fact that you're going to love XL New York.

And I think you should expect to see the release of R.A.F. 'The Heat's On' on cd for the first time also.

I don't want to give too many surprises away so I'll leave it at that.

Any particular titles you'd like to see re-issued on cd Tim?

I'm saving my money up already! The RPM would be great, I bought the MTM version which you can clearly tell is taken from a record. I'd personally love to see 'The Ladder' album (the U.S band from NYC rather than the Steve Overland-fronted group of the same name) re-issued. It was on ATCO & a limited CD pressing in 1986, but is monster slab of key-driven AOR. Also, what about jumping on the STAGE DOLLS - Commandos & Soldiers Gun releases? An 'official' re-issue of both would be great & I'd expect sales to be high...

The only thing I would mention is that AOR fans are very different to 'hair-metal' fans. They are prepared to pay more for their product, but probably expect a higher quality product (i.e, a thick booklet, lots of liner-notes, band interview, etc). So maybe worth marketing this stuff slightly differently, i.e, more expensive to buy but more decorative cover/booklet. Most AOR fans would probably buy a re-issue of something they already have if it had better liner-notes & was a quality product (note the sales of the recent FM re-issues).

Thanks for the update on this, I am genuinely very excited by all this....

Agreed TIM - If it's a quality product, then you will get poeple interested. The RPM sounds good. Some good Pomp stuff that needs a going over are The Roadmaster albums aswell as the 3rd Zon album. Agreed re the Stage Dolls - they would do very well seeing the interest surrounding the recent Boot discussion. So many good albums that deserve the re-issue treatment.

The Press release for Manila Thrills:

From Retrospect Records :

We are excited to announce the much-awaited re-issue of Manila Thrills 'Tomorrow's Waiting'. Originally released in 1990 on cassette only, this melodic hard rock collector's edition has been digitally re-mastered for cd and beefed up with an addition of FOUR previously unreleased bonus tracks.

Manila Thrills features a powerful vocal performance by Michael Beck, stunning razor-sharp axework , and hi-octane hooks that signify the pinnacle of 80s Hair Metal / Hard Rock.

Here's what people are saying...

TC Record Review- "This is a guitar band that rocks with the attitude of early Sammy Hagar. The track "Just Gotta Go" deserves regular rotation on any station. If you only have time for one song, skip to this cut immediately. I guarantee you will play this song again."

City Limits- "All the natural ingredients for hook & line are apparent. The opening off the wall guitar arpeggio takes you by surprise with curiosity of what lies ahead. A very solid release indeed."

The Note- "Vocal, guitar driven & overall very mid-western stylistically with elements of Queensryche, Warrant & even the same things that made Reo Speedwagon a household name."

Go to www.retrospectrecords.com today , listen to sound clips , and be one of the first to own a copy of this melodic hard rock treasure!

Sam McCaslin

CEO/President

Retrospect Records

1) The over-rated indies people hype up, but in reality the albums are just a letdown and you wonder what the fuss is about (not all, but many IMO - eg. Spiced Ice). They just released their stuff on an indie label because in all honesty it was all they were worth. That doesn't apply to all indies by any means. It's great for some of the better bands to be re-released. Inside Out, Intuition, Crush etc. I feel all deserve re-releases. Spiced Ice, IMO, were just as well left on the shelf.

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that RARE is not the same as GOOD. They can be mutually exclusive terms. I found that out the hard way on a few releases over the years... spending time (and money) hunting down a particular release only to say "WTF are people raving about? This is shite!"

Some obscure releases were that way for a reason... ;)

The other problem is some of the hype machines on Ebay and some record labels, where every single darned CD they sell is a phenomenal masterpiece that should have been on a major label, and you just HAVE to hear it and blah blah blah blahhh....

I realize that in order to successfuly sell a release, the press releases and promo packets need to tout an album positively, but some vendors just go over the freakin' top. You'd think that every band was the Bon Jovi or Journey of their day...

(just realized that I should clarify: I'm NOT referring to Retrospect here...)

-Dan

I don't know how in the hell I overlooked "Galaxy Group" on Retrospect. That is one awesome cd.....if you guys haven't heard it, check it out. For, I didn't quite get into to it on the first two tracks, back after that it got good. Wasn't this one of the rarest out there to obtain? Its been so many , I can't remember them all. Great cd, nevertheless.

I don't know how in the hell I overlooked "Galaxy Group" on Retrospect.  That is one awesome cd.....if  you guys haven't heard it,  check it out.  For, I didn't quite get into to it on the first two tracks, back after that it got good.  Wasn't this one of the rarest out there to obtain?  Its been so many , I can't remember them all.  Great cd, nevertheless.

Ya, it was rarest until someone obviously re-pressed it without band's consent <_<

I should also add that GALAXY GROUP is NOT a Retrospect release.  It is a silver-pressed original.

Okay, I should add I didnt stated you re-pressed it, but since you appear to be the only one having it in shitload quantities, I'm naturally suspicious.

I spoke to the drummer and he assured me there hasnt been official re-pressing.

One have to ask himself what are the chances a rarity of such proportions suddenly to appear in big quantities only in Restrospest store?

Just thinking aloud here

I should also add that GALAXY GROUP is NOT a Retrospect release.  It is a silver-pressed original.

Okay, I should add I didnt stated you re-pressed it, but since you appear to be the only one having it in shitload quantities, I'm naturally suspicious.

I spoke to the drummer and he assured me there hasnt been official re-pressing.

One have to ask himself what are the chances a rarity of such proportions suddenly to appear in big quantities only in Restrospest store?

Just thinking aloud here

Of course...when making statements such as the one you just did.....perhaps, it was the 'thinking out loud' that detracted you from your proper train of thought??

It's suppositions....and innuendos....and sketchy inferences and things of that nature that really show your bias...and perhaps..intent.....when discussing a very positive thread about this label. I'm not perfect....but I try to err on the side of 'keep my mouth shut unless I know what the hell I'm talking about camp'.....but, hey....that's me.....I like to keep my suspicions credible at least.

And I'm sure the offer STILL stands for you to call Sam and simply ASK him about the Galaxy Group cds he does have.....

*on a side note* I still laugh my ass off at Koogles' assertion that Sam owned a manufacturing plant in Russia......

The problem is, Stormspell, and I have no beef...or anger toward you, but everytime you cry wolf......well......you cry wolf. And.....usually.....when you do that a few times and there's no wolf.....then when you really see one, no one will believe you.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.