The Conspiracy unfold as SURRF pulls some major BS

Recordjnky

Boy, it takes alot for me to post on here , especially a new thread, but what i heard today just blew me away and nauseates me to no end.

You don't need a microscope to see the snidy underhanded conspiracy among some nasty folks who are doing everything they can to undermine the progress and success of Retrospect Records.

At this point, i don't really have much to do with the label personally [everyone knows i am related to the owner] , although i certainly support their ideals and purpose and all the great music being made available - in some cases for the very first time.

But Sam told me today that a certain SURRF had called one of his recent pending acquisitions [a great band in the works] and Burt [surrf] proceeded to do everything he could to dissuade this particular band from signing with Retrospect. He laid it on pretty thick and really for only one purpose apparently - to acquire some of the band's cd's for himself. :ahole:

I know he is not the only person to have done this - but this is exactly the kind of BS conduct that not only reflects a persons character , but eventually kills the already fading spirit of a great genre of music.

Sam is trying to do all the right things here to contact artists , and have their music made available again [or for the first time] to music lovers of this genre and also by giving back to the artist a very fair percentage so that everyone is happy and by doing this - it not only keeps the music and genre alive but inspires the artist to , if possible, record again, to tour again or even hunt down those lost recordings that were forgotten about for so long.

For crying out loud, all you haters out there, stop the BS!! In the long run, you are only hurting the music, the artists and most importantly - the REAL fans who love and TRULY support this great genre of AOR and Melodic Hard Rock.

And please, don't get me wrong, I am not here to make enemies but to unite us,

Peace and keep waving that AOR flag!! :headbanger::drink:

Aaron - the Recordjnky

PS - the band in question are still apparently going to sign with Retrospect....

Interesting, by "SURRF" do you mean the guy who posts frequently on the HH band pages, but almost never here on the forum (he has only 9 postings so far in his profile), or somelthing else?

Not trying to stir anything bad here, just curious who/what SURRF is.

I believe SURFF is Burt out of Hawaii. One of the best and most respected collectors out there. My experiences have been nothing but positive as he's been very generous with his music, turning me on to many new bands that I wouldn't have otherwise heard. A total asset to the scene, if you want my opinion. Which is more than I can say about Aaron's post. Come on, recordjnky... you come across like a windbag, bashing Burt for several paragraphs, and then turn around and say you don't want to make enemies and close with a "why can't we all get along?" group hug... HYPOCRISY at its finest, folks. :lame:

Burt is trying to make money by re-selling some bands cd's, all in the hopes of making big bucks. Vegascds who everyone knows is Sam is also using Ebay to auction cd's, many from Retrospect. Only difference Sam is doing this is to satisfy all our hopes and dreams as Rock fans. Give me a break!!! he's also doing it for the big bucks. They are both playing the same game, only difference is Sam's will drop the value of a cd by releasing it on a cheap cdr format and Burt will raise it (because bidders go nuts) through the roof, so only people with lots of cash to throw around will ever be able to own it. I personally get more excited seeing a cd go big once in awhile, rather than being listed every week and fade away into worthlessness.

is there anyone else here like me who really couldnt give a damn either, and is just sick of hearing crappy lil schoolgirl arguments from both sides?

I think I'd buy a ticket on that train... ;)

is there anyone else here like me who really couldnt give a damn either, and is just sick of hearing crappy lil schoolgirl arguments from both sides?

I agree in part... but, at the same time, I just can't sit back and watch a guy like Burt (whose been nothing but generous to me over the years) get ripped up and pissed on. And then have Aaron do an about-face at the end like he's this unifying force and the glue that's keeping this scene together.

I agree in part... but, at the same time, I just can't sit back and watch a guy like Burt (whose been nothing but generous to me over the years) get ripped up and pissed on. And then have Aaron do an about-face at the end like he's this unifying force and the glue that's keeping this scene together.

I don't know Burt so I couldn't say either way but I can say without a doubt that I find the whole "higher moral ground" hypocrisy of some of the Retrospect supporters quite amusing. Please... :lame:

Let's face it, it's about money... and that's okay. Last time I checked we're mostly capitalists around here. Sometimes the whole "we're doing it for the bands and the fans" mantra gets a bit old... IMHO of course... and I am admittedly nobody. :drink:

I believe SURFF is Burt out of Hawaii. One of the best and most respected collectors out there. My experiences have been nothing but positive as he's been very generous with his music, turning me on to many new bands that I wouldn't have otherwise heard. A total asset to the scene, if you want my opinion. Which is more than I can say about Aaron's post. Come on, recordjnky... you come across like a windbag, bashing Burt for several paragraphs, and then turn around and say you don't want to make enemies and  close with a "why can't we all get along?" group hug... HYPOCRISY at its finest, folks.  :lame:

One of the "most respected" sellers out there? HAHA , why don't you ask around to certain people who got fucked over by him and see how 'respected' he really is....PHANTOM PARK ANYONE?

Burt , like David , you , T-Bone , Zachary , Stormspell and David, is just another envious little prick who will try anything to bring down RR. Conveniently asking for original copies of the cd and then , when told it was being re-issued, does nothing but talk shit about a company he knows nothing about...kind of a re-hashed and tiresome theme held by about a half-dozen of you.

And Tony , you are the LAST one to be spouting off about hypocrisy. :lame:

Just accept the fact that RR will be around for a long time and there is nothing that you and your underhanded cohorts can do to change that.

:fu::fu::fu:

One more thing...for a company that is doing nothing but selling boots , isn't it amazing that VegasCDs has a better feedback record than KissmyDisc and EndangeredCds combined?

You ought to smell your own shit once in a while Tony , it does actually stink. :butt:

I believe SURFF is Burt out of Hawaii. One of the best and most respected collectors out there. My experiences have been nothing but positive as he's been very generous with his music, turning me on to many new bands that I wouldn't have otherwise heard. A total asset to the scene, if you want my opinion. Which is more than I can say about Aaron's post. Come on, recordjnky... you come across like a windbag, bashing Burt for several paragraphs, and then turn around and say you don't want to make enemies and  close with a "why can't we all get along?" group hug... HYPOCRISY at its finest, folks.  :lame:

One of the "most respected" sellers out there? HAHA , why don't you ask around to certain people who got fucked over by him and see how 'respected' he really is....PHANTOM PARK ANYONE?

Burt , like David , you , T-Bone , Zachary , Stormspell and David, is just another envious little prick who will try anything to bring down RR. Conveniently asking for original copies of the cd and then , when told it was being re-issued, does nothing but talk shit about a company he knows nothing about...kind of a re-hashed and tiresome theme held by about a half-dozen of you.

Just accept the fact that RR will be around for a long time and there is nothing that you and your underhanded cohorts can do to change that.

One more thing...for a company that is doing nothing but selling boots , isn't it amazing that VegasCDs has a better feedback record than KissmyDisc and EndangeredCds combined?

You ought to smell your own shit once in a while Tony , it does actually stink. :butt:

If you're so interested in making RR look good, you might want to consider a nice hot mug of STFU. I'm an outside observer, no ties to anyone and dude, you TOTALLY make me want to hate RR and everything about them.

Just a tip, take it or leave it I couldn't care less.

If you're so interested in making RR look good, you might want to consider a nice hot mug of STFU. I'm an outside observer, no ties to anyone and dude, you TOTALLY make me want to hate RR and everything about them.

Why , because I speak the truth?

I'm sure RR will go on just fine without you man.

Why , because I speak the truth?

I'm sure RR will go on just fine without you man.

Blah Blah Blah dude. BC is right. Take it down a notch. Do you think Sam is comfortable with your head up his ass?

Take it down a notch?  Let's see... Tony and Zachary defend Burt's bullshit tactics and I need to take it down a notch?  WTF?

Read carefully, I'm not defending nor accusing anyone's selling practices, both are just in it for money. I make my money (which is peanuts to these two guys) by finding my stuff in crappy pawn shops and run down flea markets. Let's just say baby wipes came in handy when I'm searching for cd's.

I just shake my head and laugh..........why?? It's not the first time an eBay seller has done this to another 'competitor'.

It's just one of the times they've been caught.......or that anyone has cared......

You see.....most of you have no clue as to what is going on 'behind the scenes' of your favorite eBay sellers....and they like it that way, because then they get the people blindly following them and bidding like crazy on their auctions. And....defending them on the internet when they are caught.... :lol:

Their game is easy......send out as many free cdrs as possible to your 'client base'. This gives them the sense that you're giving back to them......while, in a different manner of speaking, it's also contributing to the 'look for me at an Ebay auction near you' in the future.....wink...wink. A good 'seller' keeps his clientele happy if he can......it's common business practice.....it costs next to nothing to do....and it works. Look at their auctions......most of the sellers do quite well because of it....

Those are some of the things you DO see......

What you don't see, is the scenario just like Recordjnky mentions......although, I don't know if it's true, I can easily believe it because it wouldn't be the first time that he's done something like that.....

He's very cut throat in finding out a band...and their source for cds. It's like a race to see who can get a hold of the band first. I've seen it in action. THAT'S the stuff you guys don't see....because you're just buyers...and you don't actively pursue the bands, etc. The craziness begins when one of those guys get there first...and then try and convince the band to watch out for the 'sharks'....when in all reality, they're the shark too. Hello...POT...let me introduce you to...KETTLE.....

I find it sad that people who supposedly are in this for the love of the genre...the music, etc...are so manipulative and vengeful, all for the sake of selling cds on eBay. Must be worth millions (haha) to become such a liar...and a deceitful individual?? It speaks volumes, however...about their character.

Some of the most 'respected' sellers on eBay are like this.......isn't that just a tad funny??? 'Sellers'.....who like that dollar so much they'll do just about anything to get it. Boy.....you'd think it was worth millions, eh???

And...if you think *I'M* full of shit. I can tell you that there are people on this board that have encountered it first hand. They know who they are....and they've spoken out about it in these hallowed halls in times past.....and they just may do so again, if they feel so inclined. I'll let them speak for themselves.....

There are many instances where he's lied to prospective bands about their cds....and to those who are acquiring them....just not Sam....but about other collectors as well.

The bottom line is.....is that it shows a lot about the character of the individual. I don't have to sit here and badmouth anyone...their actions speak for them. I just find it humorous to watch people blindly post about subjects they have no clue about....and their reactions, whether pro or con to the whole Retrospect thing....

And for those of you who are 'tired' of this.....then you need to ask yourself. Why did I even click on the Retrospect thread to begin with?? And then you have to ask yourself. Why did I click on the thread entitled 'Replying to The Conspiracy unfold as SURRF pulls some major BS' when you knew full well what to expect?

Looks like the Owner of this board started this RR forum for all of this 'crap' to be played out in this forum........

Looks like the Owner of this board started this RR forum for all of this 'crap' to be played out in this forum........

I can't tell if this was intended as simply a comment, or as a slam.

Either way, it deserves a response:

You're right. Every time the word "Retrospect" comes up, an argument ensues. In the past I've contributed my own commentary on one side or the other, usually on the anti-Retrospect side of the equation. I don't deny that I've had problems with the way Sam has done business in the past. I still have some reservations about certain aspects. However, people and businesses DO change, so I see no reason to personally contribute to the discussion at hand.

However, I got tired of seeing the arguments "pollute" other areas of the board. Rather than try to censor people on one side or the other, making judgment calls as to what is permissible and what isn't, I feel it is better to have one single place for the discussion and arguing to take place, and then allow people to have their say, no matter how extreme it may seem.

As far as what to allow, at this point, it's an all or nothing issue to me. The middle ground simply doesn't work. At one point Sam asked me to take down all the threads (both good and bad) referring to Retrospect and him. I told him that in good conscience I could not do so, as that would in effect be censoring those who had anything bad to say about the label and its practices. I would be perceived as siding with the label on everything across the board.

It's ultimately a lose-lose proposition for me: If I delete everything, people see me as protecting Retrospect and/or hiding things. If leave everything, Sam and his fans see me as "hosting a bash fest against Retrospect."

I've decided to err on the side of free exchange of information. I'm also going to do my best to simply stay out of the discussion on one side or the other.

One point though: I do wish that Sam would come here and post himself rather than allowing others to speak for him, as in all candor, these days I have much less of a problem with Sam than his mouthpiece... At this point I have no idea if what 80sMetalCollector posts here is in fact coming from Sam or not. There's no way for me (or anyone else reading here) to know for sure. Also, any time you allow someone else to speak for you, there is the inevitable misrconstruing of information (whether it is intentional or not).

-Dan

No...not a slam at you at all Dan!! Just wanted to let them know the reason the forum is here in the first place.....because they seemed to be getting tired of the 'crap'.....and I just reiterated that that's why you want it here.....

Dan.....I have no reason to slam you, nor will I. I love this message board and site...and have been here since DAY 1........

i feel a wrestlemania moment coming here lets get all of them in the ring & last man standing wins :bananamac:

80sMetalCollector/Sam... I just figured out why your Friction and Rock Blvd "re-issues" have a green-tinted playing surface. They're green with envy from the REAL CDs sold at KMD and endangeredcds! And, by the way, thanks for the "retrospect"-ive style insults... the fecal references indeed have a retro feel to them... reminiscent of second grade on the playground all over again.

• I posed him that exact question on his discord page as to what his future plans are.... He said he plans to relax for a bit, do his You Tube thing, keep writing new music and then will decide how to release that music.  He said as of now he's thinking he'll either do a solo thing or form his own band.  He didn't say this but I'd sort of envision a Daughtry type "band" where he kind of puts a band behind his name. So essentially, I think you're right on with his plans.  Ultimately, I think like you say, the control is a big part of it.  I think he wants to be able to operate on his own schedule to maintain his health and family obligations. It'll be interesting to see what sound the new material takes on.  It would seem logical to think it would be rock/melodic rock of some sort since that's really the type of music he's built his following with but he certainly has shown he can dabble anywhere from AOR to metal.
    • Glad I got to see them with Erik in front. All the best to him, definitely looking forward to his future outings when he is fully recovered. Would be cool to see him form his own band, where he could take control, and play around in different genres, from full on metal, to soothing AOR, the guy is so versatile.
    • Remedy - Crying Heart. One I've just seen thanks to the Iridium channel.  From the upcoming album. It's a Killer.     
    • Let's not forget Benny Hill. What a Magnificent show that was.    
    • Yeah... I dunno about that. It would be too cringe. Who knows? If I'm high enough, I might submit a video. 
    • Yep great track and if you fancy being in the video for "The Feeling" nows your chance.  
    • I'm proud to say that I had this single when I was a mere 8 years old. KISS were big down here then. Norman Gunston is Iconic for Aussies of my vintage.  The face ln the bottom left says it all. Hilarious.     
    • All in all, this is a great story. Erik played a brilliant, well received, albeit short cameo with one of our favourite bands.  It was a win, win, win. A win for us, a win for Skid Row (the album certainly put them back on the map) and a win for Erik, adding this to his already impressive resume. The fact that it was so amicable with both parties is also great to see.
    • I really like this album - not every song on it but there are some surprisingly catchy melodies all over. Personally I think the singer adds great energy to the mix. It reminds me of the earlier Bai Bang ("closer to you")

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.