best cd Def Leppard never made

66 mustang

I know Blue Tears and BB Steal will get some votes. they rank very high and are on top a lot of the times but right now I have found a new love for the Bryan Adams CD Waking Up The Neighbors. I just got the cd after years of not listening to my worn out cassette and yeah, it is a fantastic album with so much Def Leppard in it that I swear I hear the Lep's singing background vocals. Produced by Mutt also didn't hurt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never really listened to it in comparison to Def (though now my curiosity is piqued).

But, I remember getting this CD 13 years ago and not giving it a rest. A truly great album!

and believe it or not Sleeze Beez - Powertool (no I'm not kidding).

-Dan

He's not kidding at all! Very good "leppardesque" release. :)

BB Steal is a very good release, but another was Freefall-Rebel Hard.....If i am not mistaken they are now known as "Kick".......I recently came across 2 unreleased tracks by Def Leppard....."Worlds Collide".....a kick ass rocker which could very easily could of came from the "Hysteria/Adrenalize" Era, and also another track "Immortal"........both are killer Def Lep tracks........If anyone wants them shoot me an email at lrc72315@sbcglobal.net or pm me here....

Later

Lon

I remember Gary Moore recorded a song called "Led Clones" in the late 80s, well, here's a list of "Lep Clones"

AMAZE ME

AUTOGRAPH- Buzz

BARON- Love Valley (Aerosmith-Def Lep cross)

BB STEAL- On the Edge

BIG BAD WOLF- s/t

BLUE TEARS (with a Bon Jovi feel)

BOSS- Step on it

BRYAN ADAMS- Waking Up the Neighbors (in parts)

EYES (same big big sound esp. the backing vocals)

FREEFALL- Rebel Hard (in the same way Razzle sounds like DL)

HEAVY PETTIN (like earlier, pre-Hysteria Def Leppard)

JADED HEART- Trust, The Journey Will Never End (same big wall of vocals)

JESSE STRANGE (somewhat)

JOHNNY LIMA- Made in California (some songs i.e. Love Ain't Enough)

LOUD n CLEAR- Disconnected

LOVERBOY- "Lovin Every Minute of It" - song only

BRIAN McDONALD- Wind Me Up or Voyager

MICHAEL MORALES- That's the Way

NO SWEAT- s/t (especially "Heart and Soul")

NOUVEAUX- Beginnings

OUTLAW BLOOD- (only "Body and Soul")

RAZZLE- The Perfect Buzz (very DL sounding)

ROADHOUSE - s/t (a bit like early Def Lep, with the whole Pete Willis thing)

SILENT- The Bright Side (some of it)

SLEEZE BEEZ- Powertool

STARSHIP- Love Among the Cannibals (notably, "Burn")

STEVE PLUNKETT- My Attitude

TOWER CITY- A Little Bit of Fire

T-RIDE- s/t (like Def Leppard meets Extreme, HUGE vocals!!)

V.A.N.- Out in the Rain (like a German Def Leppard)

X-SINNER (early Def Leppard clones - "High n Dry" era)

XL- Rock You All Over (XL-ellent replicas)

I know Blue Tears and BB Steal will get some votes. they rank very high and are on top a lot of the times but right now I have found a new love for the Bryan Adams CD Waking Up The Neighbors. I just got the cd after years of not listening to my worn out cassette and yeah, it is a fantastic album with so much Def Leppard in it that I swear I hear the Lep's singing background vocals. Produced by Mutt also didn't hurt

Weird...I thought I was the only one who heard the similarity between Bryan Adams & Leppard. "Thought I'd Died & Gone To Heaven" is the best song the Lep's never wrote. Would've been great to hear Joe come out & sing it during their tour together last year.

Another band that cops Leppard is X-Sinner...the song "Livin' On The Edge" is a dead ringer for "Comin' Under Fire".

Starship 'Love Among The Cannibals' reminds me Def Lep' especially the track 'We Dream in color'.

Starship 'Love Among The Cannibals' reminds me Def Lep' especially the track 'We Dream in color'.

Good shout. I gotta go with BRIAN MCDONALD - "Wind It Up". His first - "Desperate Business" was a better disc but it had too much of his own identity on it. "Wind It Up" was a total Leppard (with hints of Winger) steal.

This is the perfect thread for me right now. Last night I was thinking of making my little brother (who loves Def Lep) a mix cd with bands that sound similar for his birthday. I though he would really get a kick out of it especially since he's never heard of any of the other bands mentioned above. But aside from Blue Tears, Loud & Clear and BB Steal I had no clue who else I would include. Thanks all! :drink:

BB Steal is good. You also need to check out Nouveux - Beginnings, and believe it or not Sleeze Beez - Powertool (no I'm not kidding).

-Dan

I agree. Powertool sounded alot like Def Leppard. I loved that album

BB Steal is good. You also need to check out Nouveux - Beginnings, and believe it or not Sleeze Beez - Powertool (no I'm not kidding).

-Dan

Not sure if they're the best, but they are good (as there are a lot of good "Leppardy" sounding releases as mentioned), but the XL release amazed me on how they sounded so close to Lep even in style. Heck, the singer not only sounds like Joe, he even studied his midtempo talk/rasp and pronunciation of words when he sings on some songs... I dunno, for some reason that is the closest I've truly heard to Lep (the drums also sound to a tee for Lep's too), but the styles of BB Steal, Blue Tears, and like I said the many that others have mentioned all barrow from DL. If I had to pick a favorite, I may have to go with Blue Tears, but the Sleez Beez release I liked a lot too, although I have not listened to it in a long long time, I just remember liking it pretty good.

-Dan

Not sure if they're the best, but they are good (as there are a lot of good "Leppardy" sounding releases as mentioned), but the XL release amazed me on how they sounded so close to Lep even in style. Heck, the singer not only sounds like Joe, he even studied his midtempo talk/rasp and pronunciation of words when he sings on some songs... I dunno, for some reason that is the closest I've truly heard to Lep (the drums also sound to a tee for Lep's too), but the styles of BB Steal, Blue Tears, and like I said the many that others have mentioned all barrow from DL. If I had to pick a favorite, I may have to go with Blue Tears, but the Sleez Beez release I liked a lot too, although I have not listened to it in a long long time, I just remember liking it pretty good.

XL is quite rare isnt it? its prob the hardest to get a hold of?? i recently read somewhere that there was a reissue.... anyone confirm?

theres actually quite a few def lep "wannabe" threads on here over the years. as def leppard are my fave band i look out for every wannabe. ive been stockpiling a list of all bands/albums that ive read over the years to be compared to def leppard (even if after listening to them i disagree, but hey its all up to personal interpretation).... its quite long.... ill add the rest when i get a chance... ive slowly been collecting them all and thought i nearly had them all - but this latest thread has revealed a few more suggestions.................... COOL!!!

theres actually quite a few def lep "wannabe" threads on here over the years. as def leppard are my fave band i look out for every wannabe. ive been stockpiling a list of all bands/albums that ive read over the years to be compared to def leppard (even if after listening to them i disagree, but hey its all up to personal interpretation).... its quite long.... ill add the rest when i get a chance... ive slowly been collecting them all and thought i nearly had them all - but this latest thread has revealed a few more suggestions.................... COOL!!!

O, then Phaffas, u gotta track down the XL release, or at least get the tunes as they will maybe become a fav of yours if u give them a shot. Solid stuff by all means, it was actually one of those releases that grew on me big time!! I liked it at first okay, then as time went on (a couple of shuffles in and out of the player), yeah, I'd say I really like it now, moreso! Recommended!

O, then Phaffas, u gotta track down the XL release, or at least get the tunes as they will maybe become a fav of yours if u give them a shot. Solid stuff by all means, it was actually one of those releases that grew on me big time!! I liked it at first okay, then as time went on (a couple of shuffles in and out of the player), yeah, I'd say I really like it now, moreso! Recommended!

yeh Ripper, ive been watching out for it for a while but last time i saw it.... i think it went for about 60 bucks..... for only about 5 songs or something..... seems like everyone wants it...