Bad Seller!

I live in the UK, I recently won an auction for Warrant's Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich - cd from a seller in the US. The seller demanded I pay $9.68 shipping even though it costs $4.80. The most I have ever paid was $7.00!

I did ask why the prices were so high, their answer:

"We listed this as US only because lines are very long at the post office this time of year, and we really don't have the time to go stand in line. So shipping includes: shipping costs, shipping supplies, listing fee, final value fee, our time at the post office handling customs forms. If we did not need to fill out forms we could handle overeating from our computer and drop them at a box."

The cd was actually listed on www.ebay.co.uk and clearly stated 'Will ship worldwide"?!?!?!

The cd was supposed to be the newer release with the extra demo tracks. After paying nearly $10 for shipping, the copy they sent me was not in a 'like new condition' nor did it have the bonus tracks listed.

Unfortunately I had already bid on another item that finished slightly later, this time the shipping cost went up to $10.50 for a cd costing $0.99!!!!

After an inquiry they claimed:

"You violated e-bay rules by bidding two different items that were clearly marked US only! We overlooked this and stood in line at the post office to handle your customs forms. All listing are done using the UPC code on the disk, this is info that E-bay has on file and gives to us. The record company gives the info the them. All disks are tested on my computer and cleaned before shipping. So feel free to not pay for the other disk and I will feel free to let e-bay know you are bidding on items that are US only!"

What do you think people?

Dude i think you were totally taken advantage of, and the excuses for the shipping are unreal, i will say shipping rates via the USPS did go up as of yesterday as i mailed 1 reg. cd in the jewel case to the UK and it was $7.01. It takes a whole 2 minutes to fill out a customs form, If i was you and it was not as described in the auction (w/bonus tracks), If you paid via paypal i would file a claim to get your money back.......

Later

Lon

BTW, who was the seller????

Scoobydoomelinda.....amazingly mostly good feedback although with closer inspection all neg.FB are for the same high shipping costs etc! <_<

I have filed a claim and refused to pay for the other cd, hopefully after complaining to ebay also they won't stich me up!.....we'll see :angryfire:

Scoobydoomelinda

OMG, I'd never buy form a seller with such ID name :P

No, seriously, that's what makes eBay the prime cesspool on earth - all those foul cheathing tactics of ripping customers with "handling" etc.

Now saying that I recently bought two LPs from GEMM for $22.99 and $12.99 plus shipping (undetermined on GEMM receipt), GEMM charged me a whooping total of $51 several days later, and I got the LPs today with media mail sticker on them for $2.50... who got the rest $12 and for what, no one knows :2up:

Per chance, could you give us the auction numbers so we can see it.......????

Looks like this may be one of them Del...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=4811376862

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not supposed to use "handling fees" as a way to recoup ebay's listing fees & final value fees...just as you're not allowed to charge extra "handling fees" for accepting paypal. Those fees are the cost of selling items on ebay. I would forward a copy of the seller's email to someone at ebay's safe harbour dept. & see what they have to say about it.

Not saying that this seller is not an :ahole: , but obviously an easy way of avoiding unexpected high shipping cost is to ask the seller for these cost before you bid.

Recently an US seller wanted to charge me 12$ for shipping a LP to Germany. In friendly words I gave him the message: :fu:

Never go by the pre-filled out auction CD thingy's. That's the same bullshit I went through when I went to buy the DRFSR rerelease with the bonus tracks. Someone has the cd and they use that feature and the feature automatically lists the bonus tracks, when in fact the cd that the seller is selling doesn't have them. Always message the seller and make sure they have bonus tracks, because that CD lister feature is bullshit.

yeah I know...I made some rookie mistakes by not asking the seller for these cost before I bid but I was still like :yikes:.....people should be made to state shipping costs....otherwise whats to stop people just charging the first figure that comes in there head?.....how is this not fixing the auction?

As for the pre-filled out auction thing for cds, well thats total 'wank' not to check its correct....total sh*t! <_<

I think this guy is insane :wacko: ......i wish ya'll could read how polite I was in my email asking simple requests! :angel:

Message from seller (sorry about their grammer, its worse than mine! :lol: )

You have been reported, yes we ship to all places listed, but this is US ONLY that is why it said US ONLY! your other item is no longer available to you it will be re listed. since a complaint has been filed whit e-bay and they are watching you do not bid on it. you are being blocked from all our listing, i know you CANT READ LISTING but if you can read e-bays policy on shipping, they call excessive shipping $25.00 on a DVD in the US. so have fun explaining it to e-bay. this mater is closed do not contact us further, doing so will result in a harassment complaint filed with e-bay!

Are sellers allowed to use such aggressively worded emails? I have merely asked the seller why the item I have received was incorrect, and why I was being charged nearly 11 times as much for shipping for a second item $10.50 for a $0.99 cd!

The auctions were on www.ebay.co.uk and were not US ONLY, I only requested they sent the cd without jewel cases to save shipping costs!

After reporting them to ebay and filing a claim with paypal for a part refund due to receiving the wrong item they are still sending me these types of emails.

Any advice?

When you email them back,send them a link to the page of the auction & ask them which part of "Ship worldwide" means "Only ships to USA"?

Also,using the link,ask them why they have shipped a different version of the CD to the one they listed!

Explain to them that the page still exists and its a thing called evidence if they decide to contest your claim!

If all that fails,call them a bunch of cunts!

Mike....thanks for the link to see how this auction reads.

The way I see this, there is some fault to be assumed on both sides of this issue.

Let me explain.......

The auction number 4811376862 clearly states will ship "worldwide". But, you must read the entire auction description which also says " IF OUTSIDE U.S. PLEASE EMAIL BEFORE YOU BID FOR SHIPPING COSTS!!!!!!"

The reference to "US only" has to do with the shipping fee of $4.99........

There is also the following line in the description.........."flat shipping is for US only outside US will have additional charges"

YOU HAVE TO READ THE ENTIRE DESCRIPTIONS WHEN PLACING BIDS!!!!

On the other side of the coin.....those are some outrageous fees being charged for shipping & etc..... And as for sending a different item....that is a definite NO NO.

Did you pay with PAYPAL....if you received a different item....file a claim with paypal and E Bay. Just because this seller wants to try and "Punish" you for failing to completely read and follow his directions, doesn't give him the right to substitute the product.

I guess the lesson learned here is to completely read the auction descriptions and know there are some real "nasty people" to be encountered on ebay.

Thanks for the tip on this "nasty" tempered seller.....I'll certainly avoid him even though I would only require shipping to the USA. I can't understand why people can't at least be civil and try to be understanding when someone makes a mistake!

Recently an US seller wanted to charge me 12$ for shipping a LP to Germany. In friendly words I gave him the message:  :fu:

Just for your info:

$10-12 would be about exact airmail shipping, especially if packed well in heavy-cardboard. He could have sent it to you ground for maybe $7 according new USPS prices, but it would take 2 months and be lucky to get it not beaten up. Registration is extra +$7.90 exact

Shipping does not have to be that expensive for quick postage by USPS from the USA to UK!

I recieved four CDs from Dan yesterday (or maybe Monday,I forget).

Those CDs cost a total of $4 to send and were posted on Saturday!

Obviously this was without jewel cases,but the weight of four CDs minus jewel cases,is not that much less than one CD in a jewel case!

Shipping does not have to be that expensive for quick postage by USPS from the USA to UK!

I recieved four CDs from Dan yesterday (or maybe Monday,I forget).

Those CDs cost a total of $4 to send and were posted on Saturday!

Obviously this was without jewel cases,but the weight of four CDs minus jewel cases,is not that much less than one CD in a jewel case!

4 ounces airmail to UK costs $3.35, that will fit most regular CDs.

If the CD has fatter booklet or something, 5 ounces to UK are $4.20

So in general yes, you can consider you can send ANY single CD with jewel case in bubbled envelope to UK for $4.20 exact shipping cost

That's from my personal shipping experience, other may disagree.

I personally prefer to ship 1 CD with jewels via Global Priority Mail - exact cost is $5.50

Also, when you file the claim with paypal...it will save a lot of time (& help your chances of gettin a refund) if you file for a product not received rather than receiving the wrong item. If you file for receiving the wrong product, paypal will make you mail the item back (at your expense) before granting a refund...& from the way you've described the asshole seller, he may claim that the cd never arrived.

Well Storm i have to disagree, because i mailed a package w/1 reg. CD to the UK earlier this week in a regular bubblemailer and it was $7.01 for Air Letter Post, there was nothing heavy about the package at all........Not sure if rates are different if you ship from different parts of the US or not......

Rates are the same regardless your US destination. You can check them at www.usps.com - their online calculator is very accurate (see picture below)

I'm guessing, but what probably happened to you is you didnt go directly to the USPS office, but to a second party shipper (local grocery store, etc.). Those guys will ship USPS for you, but will overcharge you about 150-200% of the regular USPS prices, that's how they make their profit.

postal-england.gif

That for sure is a high price. I just went to the Post Office yesterday to get a price on shipping from here (USA) to the UK.... The price I was given was $7.95. That was for a DVD (with case) & a CD and another DVD in slim cases. And that's with plenty of padding included. It's ashame that some people use postage to pad their own pockets. As many here have said, it only takes a few seconds to fill out the customs paper.

I live in the US and I would not have even bid on the CD with shipping of 4.99.I checked that sellers auctions and every Cd had a shipping charge of either 4.50 or 4.99 in the US.I don't even charge that much for shipping outside the US!I sent a CD out today to Spain and it was 4.20,shipped in a bubble mailer.That price used to be 4.00 to Europe,before the rate increases.