Hedley - s/t ; brilliant

Geoff

Okay guys and gal, been prowling the board dropping the name of these guys where I can, but I think it's come time to dedicate an entire thread to them. I dare say they have just taken over the awesome Anberlin 'Never take friendship personal' release for my 2nd favourite 'modern' CD of the year. I just cannot get enough of it. EVERY song is an absolute killer, making it impossible to pick a fave.

But if you like SR-71 and Bowling For Soup (though the lyrics and vibe are much better and not as "childish" as BFS) I reckon you're going to love these guys. I've been playing this and Hinder alongside each other and love both, but this one is actually edging out the awesome Hinder release, which for me, is not an easy thing as that is a killer disc.

Anyway, just want to drop their name and see if anyone else has heard them yet? What are some thoughts on them?

Man I hope this doesn't go down like my Story of the Year post, still without a single reply. :(

The lead singer of Hedley - Jacob Hogarth finished 3rd in last years Canadian Idol contest. Was by far the best showman on the show. I got the cd the week it came out. Good stuff, not very original but very catchy for lovers of nu-breed.

You got a reply to this post. :drink:

Very interested in this one.  Off to search for a website.....samples....something. 

:gone:

Hey MJ, yeah my apologies for that. I spent about half an hour looking for the website today so I could put a link in my post, but I couldn't find it. I was on it 2 days ago but couldn't find it today. Anyway, their official site has soundbytes of the whole album - if you can find it :). Hope you enjoy.

And thanks for the info, Mr Zach. I had no idea he was an idol contestant. Wow, that's a real suprise as I reckon the band is absolutely awesome and I'm quite reserved when it comes to Idol contestants. Great work though...

Is this it, Geoff? http://hedleyonline.com/web/news/index.php

And thanks to a major sweetie, I got a surprise in my mailbox. Got some stuff to listen to!!! :dance::D

You got a reply to this post.  :drink:

BTW, thanks for that too mate. :)

Was he the "rocker" of the series? Do you know if he had been in the current Hedley band for a while before he went on Idol? I'd love know if it is a long-standing thing or something that came together after the show?

Is this it, Geoff?  http://hedleyonline.com/web/news/index.php

And thanks to a major sweetie, I got a surprise in my mailbox.  Got some stuff to listen to!!! :dance:  :D

LOL, good host I am, hey? :D

Yeah, that certainly is the one, samples and all. Hope you like. If you do, check out SR-71 too.

............. :o ........... 'Trip'............. WOW!

Brilliant isn't it??? I love this song too. I think that's my favourite moment on the disc... the bit where he makes the massive hook out of 'Then I ran into your garden, but I tripped out the gate, I tripped out the gate' - I just think it's a mind-blowing moment of the disc... oh dear I love this disc!!!

BTW, the musical intro for 'Trip' is identical to the start of an SR-71 song I can't pluck from my memory just now...

Lead singer was in Hedley before he entered Canadian Idol.

Thanks for this info too. That's cool, looks like he used the show to launch the project where his heart was at. Yesterday as I was listening to the disc and one of the songs, I believe, is probably based entirely on the idol experience, I think. :)

:lol: May sound strange.......but I LOVE the way he says 'you' like "youuuuwww". Kinda 'flat' o's.......not the tight oooooo's some do.

Ok......yeah...that sounded strange. :unsure:

You got a reply to this post.   :drink:

BTW, thanks for that too mate. :)

Was he the "rocker" of the series? Do you know if he had been in the current Hedley band for a while before he went on Idol? I'd love know if it is a long-standing thing or something that came together after the show?

He was the rocker of the bunch, his stage presence was a thing of beauty. One night he came out in spandex and did a kick ass version of Space Oddity. Hedley, is the name of the town in British Colombia where the boys are from. This is their first release and seem to be relying on Jacob's claim to fame. I honestly don't know if they are having any success. Probably more than Cauterize, at least in these parts of the world.

I honestly don't know if they are having any success. Probably more than Cauterize, at least in these parts of the world.

LOL, unfortunatey, at this point, that ain't a hard thing to do (have more success than the brilliant Cauterize). :( But now that Cauterize are signed hopefully they make it, take Hedley out on tour as a supporting band, they both make it huge and come over to Australia on the one tour. Please. :)

Summerhero are also Canadian, aren't they? If so, man these Canadian guys are easily the top of the "nu-breed" market because I know there's a few more Canadian bands in this style that I really dig, but can't think of them now. To all viewing this thread, please make note of the name Summerhero because these guys are absolutely awesome and when they get that debut released soon it's going to be a stunner (There's tracks all over the place, but not an album just yet), I dare say... maybe even close to on par with Cauterize. :)

Another band you may like that are from Canada is called Not By Choice. Similar to Hedley, maybe a bit poppier. The band that does it for me is Waltham, amazing!

Another band you may like that are from Canada is called Not By Choice. Similar to Hedley, maybe a bit poppier. The band that does it for me is Waltham, amazing!

Yeah, that's the one!!! I love Not By Choice too, and of course Waltham. They're brilliant. But yeah, love Not By Coice but still got to get a full CD. I have about 10 songs around the place... very fond of them.

Hey Geoff, I know I can probably find a copy of the first Not By Choice release for 6$. If you are interested let me know. I can ship it to Australia, without the jewel case for like 4$. I haven't heared their second release, it didn't get much press around here and may find itself OOP very soon. Cauterize, Not By Choice and Sum-41 are all from the Ajax area, a small suburb town about 30 minutes east of Toronto. Only a few minutes from Ajax is Oshawa where Harem Scarem and Emerald Rain are from. Must be something in the water in that area.

Cheers, Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Geoff, I know I can probably find a copy of the first Not By Choice release for 6$. If you are interested let me know. I can ship it to Australia, without the jewel case for like 4$. I haven't heared their second release, it didn't get much press around here and may find itself OOP very soon. Cauterize, Not By Choice and Sum-41 are all from the Ajax area, a small suburb town about 30 minutes east of Toronto. Only a few minutes from Ajax is Oshawa where Harem Scarem and Emerald Rain are from. Must be something in the water in that area.

Cheers, Dave

Hey Dave, sorry mate, missed that post. Sounds cool. Is the first CD really good? As I said, I have tracks from them and I know they were once a full-on punk band, but I also heard some more melodic tracks. If the one you can get is a good one let me know and we'll make arrangments. :) Thanks mate.

Hey Geoff,

I'm heading out this morning on holidays for the next week or so. While I am gone I will try to fish out any of the two Not By Choice discs. I know one local pawn shop that has the first one. The first one is fluffy pop/punk, catchy as hell! I hear the second one is much darker and I think heavier. I will let you when I get back.

I also know of a cd that you may enjoy, very punk though. They are called Lame and it was produced by Pete Lesperance and Harry Hess. I believe it was the first release on their VESPA (Pete and Harry's label) label back in '96. To me this was the first sign of Harem Scarem entering the nu-breed realm. They have a picture of the album cover on the HS website.

Happy New Years!

Hey Geoff,

I'm heading out this morning on holidays for the next week or so. While I am gone I will try to fish out any of the two Not By Choice discs. I know one local pawn shop that has the first one. The first one is fluffy pop/punk, catchy as hell! I hear the second one is much darker and I think heavier. I will let you when I get back.

I also know of a cd that you may enjoy, very punk though. They are called Lame and it was produced by Pete Lesperance and Harry Hess. I believe it was the first release on their VESPA (Pete and Harry's label) label back in '96. To me this was the first sign of Harem Scarem entering the nu-breed realm. They have a picture of the album cover on the HS website.

Happy New Years!

Thanks mate, will try to check Lame out too. :)

I picked up the first Not By Choice called Maybe One Day for 6$, near mint. I can ship it 10$ without the jewelcase and 12$ with the case. Let me know. Cheers, Dave

• 1 year later...

Hedley's new 15 track album 'Famous last words' is due for release on 30th October 2007. The single 'She's so sorry' has already been released, on August 21st and the video will follow soon.

Awesome news, as I was not expecting a new CD this year... cannot wait for this!!!

• 1 month later...

Six more days until it's release date... anyone else excited about 'Famous Last Words'? I just wish there'd been a decent place to pre-order it. :(