Retrospect Records

woosta

So I'm seeing Vegascds selling these releases on "retrospect records" and I've even read an interview online with the company. Is this label legit? I mean, it's highly unusual to release, like, 35 titles in your formative years. Does anyone have any releases on this label or any knowledge of the label?

Some infomation that I can give you is that Retrospect Records press everything on green tinted CDR's and alot of there releases have just been taken from the cassette and then re-mastered, not from the original masters. The artwork is taken from the tape aswell. That's the reason why they get things out so quick, it's a pretty simple process really, so weather you call that a proper record label is up to you. It is certainly not the way Suncity Records, Metal Mayhem, Perris Records, Kivel Records, Z Records, etc.. do things.

I hope that helps mate

P.S. I will say that Retrospect Records have some great music though

Dave

Suncity Records

Some infomation that I can give you is that Retrospect Records press everything on green tinted CDR's and alot of there releases have just been taken from the cassette and then re-mastered, not from the original masters.  The artwork is taken from the tape aswell.  That's the reason why they get things out so quick, it's a pretty simple process really, so weather you call that a proper record label is up to you.  It is certainly not the way Suncity Records, Metal Mayhem, Perris Records, Kivel Records, Z Records, etc..  do things.

I hope that helps mate

P.S.  I will say that Retrospect Records have some great music though

Dave

Suncity Records

Retrospect has some awesome titles.....a few which are very costly to some of us. Rock Boulevard...Friction.....etc. I don't know not one thing about the color of the cds, pricing the cds or anything. I have worked in one record store in my life. Like it or dislike it. That is a matter of opinion which everyone is entitled to. Silver pressed, gold pressed, pokadot pressed or whatever, I have managed to pick up a couple of titles that I could't of dream of getting a hold of..and plus....it doesn't take Sam all year to get the cds to the buyer........unlike some people I have dealt with....on ebay. Thats just my two cents.

Just ordered Vyper - Prepared to Strike and Eric Steel - Eric Steel when they had (still have?) their 20% off sale....Should be coming this week....I am expecting well packaged cdrs but the Vyper is a must own for me and when it was first put on the Retrospect site it was 40 dollars....couldn't pass up the 19.99 price on sale -_- depending on the soulnd quality I might order some more stuff from them as my transfers to cd from my vinyl have been spotty at best ;)

Some infomation that I can give you is that Retrospect Records press everything on green tinted CDR's and alot of there releases have just been taken from the cassette and then re-mastered, not from the original masters.  The artwork is taken from the tape aswell.  That's the reason why they get things out so quick, it's a pretty simple process really, so weather you call that a proper record label is up to you.  It is certainly not the way Suncity Records, Metal Mayhem, Perris Records, Kivel Records, Z Records, etc..  do things.

I hope that helps mate

P.S.  I will say that Retrospect Records have some great music though

Dave

Suncity Records

Another cheap shot from the man who not only badmouths his competition but tries to steal contracts from under Sam...and has failed every time. At least David said the music was cool and SOME of what he is saying is true I suppose.

According to Sam here's the real deal...

SOME of the titles are taken from cassette (if that was the only source available then that's all you can use - FYI , the RPM re-issue by MTM classix was taken from VINYL - that's a FACT , and I can also guarantee you that Perris has released quite a few cd's that were mastered from demo-tapes). Other titles were remastered from the original cd's or left exactly as they were on cd format. There are also a few that were remastered from the original DAT's and/or reel to reels.

Artwork is taken from the best source available and even Sam admits he wasn't happy at the way a few turned out.

We will also see some silver-pressings come up shortly , like Manila Thrills , Axtion , Mariah , NewCity Rockers and very possibly Fire Dept.

Sam said he was willing to give silver-pressings a shot to see if they are lucrative investments.

To say Retrospect Records isn't a real label is like saying Yngwie Malmsteen isn't a real guitar player.

And David , you started your label 6 months before Sam took over Retrospect and by seeing his 84 releases to your 4 I think I can safely say that he is kicking your ass. (I apologize if Dan is offended by this statement but I hope he sees what is going on here.)

To be completely honest , David you really ought to keep your mouth shut until you know the facts. I'm starting to wonder if you run SunCity Records or JealousCity Records.

Look , it's no secret that I am a supporter of Sam and Retrospect , but that's because I have been a customer and a friend for quite a few years and he gives me the scoop on what has been happening behind the scenes.

David , you should be supporting Sam , not denouncing him because your releases 'look better'.

I don't know if this response will get me banned from H.H. but I'd like to ask Dan to be objective when viewing David's statements and mine.

To conclude , Sam has let me in on dozens and dozens of releases in the coming year and I think 2006 is going to be an exciting year for all of us AOR / Hard Rock fanatics.

One more thing , we are all going to see a subsidiary of Retrospect emerge in 2006 called RetroThrash.

I know my release Buster Cherry was remastered from the masters as thats what I sent to Sam. As far as other things go if all you get from a band is a cassette, then thats all you have to work with nothing wrong with that. No the artwork isnt the best on all the releases but the sound quality on most is outstanding. And I know that the bands get to see the artwork before it goes out at least that was the case for me. I for one am very happy with my release as it sounds a million times better then what I sent, and what I sent didnt sound too bad. Again I am thrilled to have my music available to people and not for a huge price either. Just my two cents.

No, I'm not going to ban anyone, because it *was* a cheap shot on David's part.

I am now going to ask, however, that people posting on behalf of competing labels either directly (David) or indirectly (80sMetalCollector) please not engage in this petty stuff. I've not asked that in the past, because there wasn't the need.

There is plenty of obscure material out there begging for reissue (or CD release in the first place) that I'm sure there's enough to go around. It's not a zero-sum game.

Thanks,

-Dan

I guess maybe if it's your life blood, you have to jump in, but, doesn't ANYONE ever get tired of this? (I'm sure Dan gets tired of having to referee it! - Oh, and before some smart ass says "Dan is the moderator, that's his job. If he doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't have a message board.", I'm sure he STILL gets tired of warning people after they either repeatedly ignore requests he makes, fail to follow general principles of human common sense in interpersonal interactions, and largely just make life difficult for him by dredging up this stuff OVER and OVER and OVER. And I'm speaking in generalities here, not just about this one thread. Sorry, maybe that will eliminate the need for anyone to respond. Just getting something off my chest.)

Kudos to Sam for giving the silver pressed CDs a try. I WILL purchase some of these from him. The other ones, no matter HOW rare, I will not. I refuse to pay oodles of money for a CDR. And David DOES produce an INCREDIBLE product. I've been totally satisfied with the product (if not a little disappointed at the wait, which, ultimately was worthwhile, if not during the actual wait time). Each product (and company) deserves to be judged on their OWN merits, not in comparison to another. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that. Can't believe we need THIS MUCH crap over things. (There's a difference between a fact finding mission so you can make a completely informed decision or just providing information versus just starting up crap again or using someone's comments to start up crap again.)

OK, seriously, I'm DONE now.

Shit, I didn't know I was opening a can of worms here! I just needed some background, which I got. 5 song CDRs for more than $10 is a little tough to swallow for me personally, but I may give a couple of titles a try. I, too, appreciate the efforts from EVERYONE in this game. Some of this stuff needs to be heard and this is the only way it will happen. Personally, I prefer silver pressed but I can only imagine the increased cost in that!

I agree with HSF (see, man? we can agree about something! :drink: )...this crap gets real old real fast. I've got nothing against 80sMetalCollector, but I am starting to wonder if he owns stock in Retrospect Records given how quickly he runs to the label's defense. Listen, it's simple: Retrospect Records sells CDRs. Deal with it. I don't care if Sam is your friend, brother, or lover--he's selling CDRs. Kudos to him for getting "rare" product out there to those who want it, but despite your protests to the contrary, there are tons of collectors out there who don't want CDRs. That's their right. Just like it's your right to collect a mountain of green-backed CDRs if that's what you want to do. Live and let live, people...isn't that the American way?

Enough crap. Let's rock. :banger:

So are the artists making anything off of these?  Do they have any involvement?

Yes, Chris....bands such as Stranger, Alyze, Buster Cherry, Manilla Thrills, Defcon, etc. are all involved in the process and are making money from this product.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.