First Spin Impressions

JustJason

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to.........

Buckcherry ~ 15

Typical Buckcherry raunch..........done better.

Killer ballads, imo.

Cool closer.

HIGHLY recommended.

did I do that right??? :unsure:

ZILLION - S/T.

Only had one quick listen so far but has it grabbed my attention or what !!!!! :tumbsup:

FRONTLINE - Circles (3 track advance CD)

Not a massive fan of the bands heavier approach in recent years but after Jaded Heart re-discovered their melodic roots I had high hopes for this. Great to hear loads of keys, but is still mightily powerful & the production isn't great. Will probably pass on the finished product....

I just listened to Kix - S/T for the first time and wow does Whitman sound young. I really liked the Kix are for kids tune, I wasn't expecing to, but it has some great music and fun lyrics, and the stoyr at the end of Yeah Yeah Yeah was really funny :)

I also spun their second album for the first time and heard some real good tunes. Burning Love isn't typical Kix but a real good tune, Mighty Mouth was good, but Body Talk was an instant classic to my ears and I can't wait to hear it again. Awesome groove in that one.

Blanc Faces - first heard it and thought it was okay nothing spectacular.

Played it a few weeks later and it hit home..sounded great.

Now I'm back to my original opinion, not bad - but no longer being played at all :unsure:

Intuition - Turn It On!

First spin I liked the whole CD.

Favorite track right now is #6...In Love Again

Wall of Silence - Shock To The System

GREAT CD!!! Highly recommended. Loved the whole thing on the first spin.

Heartless - Heartless

2 songs stuck out right away. The rest is sub-par at best.

Intuition - Turn It On!

Heartless - Heartless

Hey Scott,

I'm guessing the 2 Heartless tunes you like are "Fits Like A Glove" & "Messin' Around"? The rest is average IMO. Sorry I was so uselessly slow I never got this to you, have hardly been at home in the past couple of weeks (home is the only place I can burn discs). If you think of anything else you're after that you think I may have then drop me a line & I'll be only too happy to make up for it!

Just got the new 91 SUITE & ROX DIAMOND CDs. First impressions of both are excellent. I really liked the first 91 SUITE - but did think it was a little overrated in some circles - but this one honestly sounds better....

Intuition - Turn It On!

Heartless - Heartless

Hey Scott,

I'm guessing the 2 Heartless tunes you like are "Fits Like A Glove" & "Messin' Around"? The rest is average IMO. Sorry I was so uselessly slow I never got this to you, have hardly been at home in the past couple of weeks (home is the only place I can burn discs). If you think of anything else you're after that you think I may have then drop me a line & I'll be only too happy to make up for it!

Just got the new 91 SUITE & ROX DIAMOND CDs. First impressions of both are excellent. I really liked the first 91 SUITE - but did think it was a little overrated in some circles - but this one honestly sounds better....

Hey Tim...no problem at all. I understand that people have a life, and get too busy to get to everything. I just figured I'd buy it, and have it for my collection.

You were right on the two songs. Those really stood out...the rest...meh.

Worth the money spent on the reissue just for those two songs I think.

After 1 spin this morning:-

91 SUITE - Times They Change

Definitely heavier, with way less keys. The production could've been sharper too, but there are some great tracks on here (especially "I Wanna Be In Love", & the last 3 tunes). It's not in the same league as the debut, but still sounds like a worthy disc that could grow on me.

THE MOB - S/T

Of course Kip should've been singing this stuff (is much more suited to his style), but from track 6 onwards it's excellent. Much more 'hard rock' & far less accessible than Winger, but this sounds great & the only major flaw is the running order - the first half of this never gets going, & the instrumentals are pointless - but otherwise is recommended.

• 1 year later...
Heartless - Heartless

Hey Scott,

I'm guessing the 2 Heartless tunes you like are "Fits Like A Glove" & "Messin' Around"?

How good is 'Messin' around'!!!! Love that song.

Anyway, this is a really cool idea for a thread and I'm sorry I've just seen it now as I spend most my life listening to CDs for the first time. How is it not still in the limelight?

This morning it was Killswitch Engage - 'As Daylight Dies'.

A good solid CD. Some excellent parts in most songs, but there's still too much screaming for me and too much going on in the songs to make them memorable. I know it's funky to have all the tempo changes and that but I'm a pretty straight forward kind of chap and it gets a little lost on me. Still, the disc did rate well with me, and I definately prefer it to the Trivium disc, both so far are on their first listen.

Just spun 'On the edge' by Renegade at lunch. A very nice AOR disc. Didn't hear any songs I disliked and a few were really quite good. Good vocals too. Track 6 sounded great.

This is where I get confused with the whole AOR thing... to call this and Brother Firetribe, who are 100% heavier, both AOR? Odd. Good CD though.

I agree, that in an excellent disc, Wes. :)

I have been spinning George Lynch 'The lost anthology' this morning. So far it has been absolutely terrible. All really old tracks from the late 70's and early 80's by the sounds of it. I'll hear it out, but I'm never going to listen to what I've heard so far ever again.

I agree, that in an excellent disc, Wes. :)

I have been spinning George Lynch 'The lost anthology' this morning. So far it has been absolutely terrible. All really old tracks from the late 70's and early 80's by the sounds of it. I'll hear it out, but I'm never going to listen to what I've heard so far ever again.

I almost bought that 2 different times and now I'm glad I didn't.

He needs to get Mason or Logan back and record another great Lynch Mob cd.

Surely he could get a good record deal with Frontiers.

Seriously Wes, you escaped a disaster there. This 'Lost Anthology' was one of the worst albums I've ever heard. 30 songs of pure shit. No redeeming qualities at all, except a couple of live tracks, which sounded like shit anyway. There were even left-overs from 'Smoke this', I think. Absolutely dreadful disc.

Now listening to Backyard Babies - 'People like people like us' ; these guys are just never going to record anything than a decent album, are they? I think I've heard them all (what are they up to now - 4 or 5?) and they're all decent, safe hard rock discs, but there is nothing great on any of them. And this one sounds exactly like the rest. I think the debut is still the best, as far as I recall. I won't play this again after this listen.

Funny Money - 'Stick it' ; I don't know their other albums well enough to say if this is their best or not, but I did like it. Not my perfect cup of tea, but a good listen. Sounds exactly like what Kix would be doing today. Good fun rock n'roll... loved the last song 'About women'. :)

Human Temple - 'Insomnia' ; excellent first 2 tracks, and I loved song 10 as well. Definately a few fillers after the 2nd track and they seem to be struggling through a lot of the CD... but there's a heap of promise and it's definately a CD I think I'll learn to enjoy. There is definately some great stuff on it.

Thunder - 'Backstreet Symphony' - I liked the 2nd song (was it 'Dirty love'?) and the rest is all solidly good, but it just ain't my thing. Definately a good band, but won't be getting back in my player.

Lightspeed - Waves

One spin and very impressed. For a small label release this is really good - Nice production as well. - one for the Pomp fans amongst us (Nick I think you already have this one)? Swazi, Chris???

Russ Ballard - Book of Love

Spinned it once and I am VERY impressed ! Great comeback from Mr. "Hey Bernadette" !!

Supercell - 'New American Standard': Excellent modern hard rock disc. Stuff like 'Shine', 'Everyday's anthem', 'Generation of the numb' and 'Walk away' are every bit as good as the stuff on the No Respect album. Not the same style, but this isn't THAT "modern". Loved it. Highly recommended.

Mae West - s/t: Good "party rock" album. The ballad - track 8 - was a clear highlight. Outstanding track.

Sister Sky - 'Forgiven': Very good album. The singer reminds me of someone I can't pinpoint. Really enjoyed the whole album though.

All Time Low - 'Put up or shut up': This probably slots straight into the number 2 spot of fave modern albums of 2006, behind Papa Roach. Picture Anberlin, Acceptance and Jimmy Eat World, but perhaps even more melodic/bigger choruses. It's only a 7 track EP, but each song was excellent... based on first listen. :) Another big recommendation.

Bulletproof Messenger - 'Crucial Line': Very nice. I think there was only one track I disliked and the rest all sounded great. It's not going to top Papa Roach for me, but it's still a very good album. Looking forward to more listens.