did you play sports in school

66 mustang

did you play sports in school  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football, basketball and though I never went out for the team, golf. Screwed up my knee and shoulders playing football and got bad ankles from buckets. I would not change a thing!!! Except for lifting more weights instead of listening to music. Well, maybe not!!!! :banger:

football (that'll BE football....i refuse to call it soccer :P haha) badmington, tennis, table tennis.....think thats all.

injured my hand (nasty) at school so had to stop playing tennis, got unfit so couldnt play football, i dont know where to play table tennis so thats stopped and i dont have anyone to play at badmington against so thats out as well.

so....i did in school....but now i dont.

Baseball for me....I was a 4 year starter and I was, at the time the only freshmen in the history of our high school to make the all-conference team.When I was a junior I tried out for the Pirates and then was called back my senior year to try out again.After my 2nd try out I was invited to spring training but decided to pursue college ball instead.The summer before I was supposed to leave to go to Florida to start school I was playing summer ball and I got a spike stuck on the infield grass and tore the hell out of my knee.It really sucked because I will never know how far I could have went.....but at least I have my beer and my music.

Aussie Rules footy and Cricket. Played Cricket against Dean Jones and did he make a mess of us with the bat :lol:

Football and baseball for me. Didn't excell at either, but was pretty good.

My claim to fame in baseball was being only the second freshman to hit a homerun in my high school's history. Not even the great Ted Williams hit a homerun as a freshman. He went to the same high school as me, only like 55 years earlier. Ok, here's the catch. I was in the first freshman class in Hoover High School's history. Up until us it was a 10th, 11th and 12th grade school. Nobody ever had the chance to play as freshmen before us. By the way, the first freshman to ever hit a homerun was the dude that stepped to the plate in the at bat before me. Damn you Marcus.

My claim to fame in football was the following. Picture this. You are in the CIF playoffs. You have had a great season compared to the earlier ones. You've one your first two playoff games. You're tall and the coach decides you should be an offensive lineman. He occasionally plays you at tight end because you've got decent hands, but you are on the "O" line on this day. The school you are playing called is Oceanside High School. You hear about this really good linebacker they have. Supposed to be a monster. Junior something or other. Samoan guy. The game starts. You look across the other teams defensive line and there he is. The balls is snapped and bam he's past you. You never had a chance. He's everywhere. Your quarterback with a girl's name(Stacy), is getting torn to shreds. When the game is over you swear that there were 4 or 5 of those damn Samoan linebackers, but no there was only one. You're out of the playoffs, your seasons done. You never really had a chance in the first place to make professional football a career, but that damn Samoan get's drafted a few years later. All you can think is at least he's playing for the good guys(Chargers). What was his name? That's right, Junior. Junior Seau. I never had a chance.

Football and basketball for me. Was pretty good at both. Our baseball team was terrible and I really didn't feel like losing so I never joined. Probably should have.

Tennis, soccer, running and I gave baseball a go too. Played a bit of football socially, but never properly, though I always wanted to.

Also played basketball from time to time but sucked and I didn't like it much anyway, though these days at our new place near facilities I like to take the ball down to the court after a few kicks of the footy and see how I go. I still suck.

Every person I ever meet for the first time asks me if I play/ed basketball as I'm about 6' 3" (is that how you do feet and inches?). But yeah, about 193cm tall and always get the question.

But yeah, I was a champion runner (constantly 1st place) up to year 7, and from there on it was always middle of the range - same with competetive swimming, though I'd go toe to toe with anyone in endurance swimming... but I always loved my sports anyway, especially the water.

I hear now they've incorporated surfing into sports at school!!! You're kidding! Now that would have been a treat!

Also did ten-pin bowling for a few terms, which was great fun.

I was on the track team for a couple weeks or so until I got caught doing the "Aljon's loop" at practice instead of the loop we were supposed to run. Aljon's was the name of the pizza place we would run to and hang out playing video games, smoking, partying, etc....

Probably would've been half decent if I kept it up, both of my parents have run several marathons... :(

Oh well, if I wasn't such a bad boy I wouldn't have been nearly as good at video games as I am now... ;)

I've been an athlete for most of my natural born life. I've played at a few different levels in football, baseball, bowling and just about any other sport you can think of....including washers, ping pong, lawn darts and anything that requires competitiveness!! :lol:

Metal Jay....liked your story about Seau. I played against Bernie Kosar and a bunch of other professional athletes, but the best story is when we beat Boardman high school when Kosar was their senior all-american quarterback. We intercepted him no less than THREE times and went on to destroy his hopes of a championship season 25-9. In, that same year, I pitched against him in baseball.....but the bastard got the best of me and he went 1 for 1 against me...and they beat us 3-1. Oh......I was a sophomore that year....

You see....Kosar comes from a cushy suburb in Youngstown...and those kids, no matter how talented of a team they had, would always shit their pants when they had to play the kids from the other side of the tracks. They had fear in their eyes before a down was even played..........

my sport was Hockey..i played against many nhl`ers in my career..a few names that come to mind are..Bobby Carpenter (bruins,capitols) Hubie Mcdonough (islanders, now he is in the front office of the ahl team manchester monarchs)..i had a chance for a paid way to college but my extra cirricular after school activities got the best of me, ........young and dumb ........

my sport was Hockey..i played against many nhl`ers in my career..a few names that come to mind are..Bobby Carpenter (bruins,capitols) Hubie Mcdonough (islanders, now he is in the front office of the ahl team manchester monarchs)..i had a chance for a paid way to college but my extra cirricular after school activities got the best of me, ........young and dumb ........

Got to be pretty chummy with Hubie McDonough when he was with the San Diego Gulls of the IHL. Great guy. My all-time favorite Gull. The Gulls moved on to Long Beach. Hubie moved on to the Orlando Solar Bears. Small world.

ole hubie was a threat on the open ice and in front of the net, but in the corners he was easy prey, he seemed to be afraid to get hit..but he had others to do the dirty work in the corners..he is now inducted in the NH hockey hall of fame..

Got to be pretty chummy with Hubie McDonough when he was with the San Diego Gulls of the IHL. Great guy. My all-time favorite Gull. The Gulls moved on to Long Beach. Hubie moved on to the Orlando Solar Bears. Small world.

Soccer was my game at school, I never left my home without a football. Could have been quite good, but then my family moved to South Africa and I started to play rugby, as soccer wasn't really appreciated much over there in those years. Played right wing, but I never was any good at it. Somehow I never quite understood those rules. ;)

I also started with tennis, which I still play today, and squash, which I had to give up about 5 years ago. My back wouldn't like it anymore.

Well..., I guess I could do some more sport these days ! -_-

ole hubie was a threat on the open ice and in front of the net, but in the corners he was easy prey, he seemed to be afraid to get hit..but he had others to do the dirty work in the corners..he is now inducted in the NH hockey hall of fame..

The last year the IHL Gulls were in San Diego, the team included Hubie, Miroslav Satan, Allan Bester in goal, Denny Lambert, David Sacco, Jason Marshall, Valeri Karpov, Bruce Shoebottom and Steve Rucchin. All went on and spent a few games in the NHL. Hubie, Bester and Shoebottom were all before the Gulls though. All Nice guys. Fun to drink with.

thats some talent !!!!!didnt the gulls take a few ihl titles with hubie..........and wasnt hubie captain for a few years

The last year the IHL Gulls were in San Diego, the team included Hubie, Miroslav Satan, Allan Bester in goal, Denny Lambert, David Sacco, Jason Marshall, Valeri Karpov, Bruce Shoebottom and Steve Rucchin. All went on and spent a few games in the NHL. Hubie, Bester and Shoebottom were all before the Gulls though. All Nice guys. Fun to drink with.

thats some talent !!!!!didnt the gulls take a few ihl titles with hubie..........and wasnt hubie captain for a few years

He was captain, but they never took any titles. The next Gulls of the WCHL took 5 of 8.

David Sacco..another NH native..

He was captain, but they never took any titles. The next Gulls of the WCHL took 5 of 8.