what has been the best comeback by a band?

ElephantStamps

either after spitting up, members leaving, poor sales, change in what gets played on radio....who was once great.....and then came back years later to show us once again how great they were...either live or in album

im struggling!...but im sure i'll say `oh yeah..ur right' once people start saying bands.

hopefully i will be able to resurrect this post and say `guns n roses' but im ever the dreamer!

Not sure if it would be considered a 'comeback'....but for AC/DC to lay "Back in Black" on us after losing Bon, I would have to say them.........

As for bands that actually DID disappear for a while...only to return, I'm guessing that maybe INXS on the back of their TV show may just do that.......

Not sure if it would be considered a 'comeback'....but for AC/DC to lay "Back in Black" on us after losing Bon, I would have to say them.........

As for bands that actually DID disappear for a while...only to return, I'm guessing that maybe INXS on the back of their TV show may just do that.......

KISS came back pretty strong in 1996 after a 15 year (original member) layoff.

For Dokken to come back with the excellent "Erase the Slate" after the festering pile of cow dung that was "Shadowlife" was pretty cool.

Also, even though "Done With Mirrors" was technically their comeback album, Aerosmith showed everyone they could still rock with "Permanent Vacation".

KISS came back pretty strong in 1996 after a 15 year (original member) layoff.

Of course, being the HUGE KISS fan that I am, I'd have to agree with ya there!!

AC/DC immediately came to mind but I think that may be kind of a copout since they never really left.  In that case, I'll probably say Aerosmith.

No question Aerosmith for me. I remember the excitement when Perm Vac came out. I was totally blown away. It's Still an album I turn to regularly.

hopefully i will be able to resurrect this post and say `guns n roses' but im ever the dreamer!

Oh mate, you poor bastard. I actually heard a bit of what will be on 'Chinese democracy' (if it is ever released) and it sounds pretty damn awful... but here's hoping also.

As for the best comebacks:

Tesla - 'Into the now' (Sensational return after so long away)

TNT - 'My Religion' (even if I loved every album before that, stellar comeback to sensational 'close to origin' form)

Bon Jovi - 'Keep the faith' (Brilliant CD after 5 year hiatus as band)

PC69 - 'Electrified' (The obvious choice for members here I'd have assumed)

Gotthard - 'Homerun' (Killer album after, IMO, a pretty soft effort and 2 average hard rock CDs - even if all albums were good and had about 2 killers on them, 'Homerun' really saw them come back into a form which parallels the debut)

White Lion - 'Main attraction' (after the disaster which is 'Big game')

Skid Row - 'Thickskin' (I think it is a great album considering they lost one of the best hard rock vocalists ever and had been so long out of the scene)

Butch Walker / M3 (after the end of Southgang, great to hear Butch [in M3 and solo] rocking in a new way, but as hard and good as he did before. Killer songs with much wonderful melody. Brilliant return!)

There are plenty, but that's it for now. :)

For Dokken to come back with the excellent "Erase the Slate" after the festering pile of cow dung that was "Shadowlife" was pretty cool.

Second that

White Lion - 'Main attraction' (after the disaster which is 'Big game')

I thought the tempo variations with corresponding pitch variations on "Mane Attraction" were pretty disastrous. I could never listen to that album. My ears hurt. And it was even on the video on MTV... Wonder exactly who fucked up on that one. But, yes, it would have been a very good album.

My contender for great comeback must be "Perfect strangers" from Deep Purple.

My favourite Purple album, anyway!

Oh mate, you poor bastard. I actually heard a bit of what will be on 'Chinese democracy' (if it is ever released) and it sounds pretty damn awful... but here's hoping also.

As for the best comebacks:

Skid Row - 'Thickskin' (I think it is a great album considering they lost one of the best hard rock vocalists ever and had been so long out of the scene)

i dont mind what ive heard of the `possible' chinese democracy tracks...but its definately not brilliant....and completely different style. ah well..i know i'll love it...but i will love it as a AXL ROSE album...NOT guns n roses.

and thickskin....seconded....i really enjoyed the album a hell of a lot more than i thought i would...and compared to their last effort with seb...it beats it hands down.

• 3 years later...

Iron Maiden - The Number Of the Beast

After Paul Dianno left, Maiden regrouped with Bruce Bruce(Dickinson) and result was this absolutely fantastic album. :tumbsup:

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Again after a couple of good but not great albums with Blaze Bayley on vocals, Maiden recalled Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith to record their best album since Seventh Son :tumbsup:

• 1 month later...

hands down, Judas Priest - Painkiller, the second I fired that tape up waiting to hear Ram It Down prt 2. I couldnt even find the words when Painkiller began, all I could do was just sit their and listen, it was like my ears and brain were having an orgasm, or had just done a shot of smack! disbelief! and ive never had that happen to me since.

Quite a few Good ones mentioned above (in particular Maiden with NOTB & PC69 with Electrified), but for me its got to be Harem Scarem.

After 4/5 years in the wilderness as the very average Rubber they return in 2002 with 'Weight Of The World' and follow it up in 2003 with 'Higher' !!

Arguably 2 of their best releases.

• 1 month later...

Sorry but I missed this thread

As for comebacks, the best for me were :

KISS with "Creatures Of The Night" after their pop/symphonic experiments, and "Psycho Circus" after the hideous "Carnival Of Souls"

JUDAS PRIEST "Angel Of Retribution" after "Demolition"

IRON MAIDEN "Brave New World" after Bayley's era

WHITESNAKE "Good To Be Bad" after "Restless Heart"

DOKKEN "Lighting Strikes Again" after "Hell To Pay"

This year was big for comebacks... Whitesnake, Journey, Dokken, Metallica, Crue... all quality releases. :beerbang:

Sorry Charvel, your not one I generally pick arguments with, but I noticed you had made a typo, or you had some information I was not hip to, you stated that Metallica had released something of quality??? I'm sure you ment Megedeth, or Manowar, or Manillow, or something, of course how could I forget

Venom!!! after countless lineups, infinite record labels, and yes maybe a few below Venom quality releases, The boys hired Cronos brother Antton on drums, dropped a few extra days and a few extra dollars, and gave us the very Un-Venom Resurrection!!! for which they will never match again!!!

And..... can't forget thoseother guys that started with Metallica, that just blew my fucking eardrums out with the very top-40 friendly, Christ Illusion! Slayer, now those are some killer quality comebackers!!!