Your collection, about music or $$$$$?

It's funny you posted this because I was just wondering the same thing yesterday. I collect simply for the love of music but if I see something I think or know may be a little rare I'll usually pick it up. The best part for me is buying something that looks good and discovering later on that it's worth some cash.

Here's the deal: the collection is about the music first and foremost, as you had to be somewhat of a freak to start in the first place, right??! *BUT* if you kept searching for more than just the average big label releases, you surely ran across some gems that were as good as some of the major label acts that you love, but on an indie label. Also, when this happens, and a true unknown gem is found (for yourself), it gives you a sense that it's all your own, as you aren't going to make small talk with anybody else about Sgt Roxx or Oxido because they will not know who the hell they are, and it's fun to know that you do, and that they are truly awesome for your musical tastes you know. It just so happens that these indies or rare press CD's that I speak of (that are good *AND* rare), are usually worth the most, which is where money comes into play, unless it is an unknown indie that you've never heard yourself and people are trying to persuade you that it is so great and that you have to hear it like these guys on Ebay love to do over and over again. That's what saturates this hobby IMHO...

Here's the deal: the collection is about the music first and foremost, as you had to be somewhat of a freak to start in the first place, right??! *BUT* if you kept searching for more than just the average big label releases, you surely ran across some gems that were as good as some of the major label acts that you love, but on an indie label.  Also, when this happens, and a true unknown gem is found (for yourself), it gives you a sense that it's all your own, as you aren't going to make small talk with anybody else about Sgt Roxx or Oxido because they will not know who the hell they are, and it's fun to know that you do, and that they are truly awesome for your musical tastes you know.  It just so happens that these indies or rare press CD's that I speak of (that are good *AND* rare), are usually worth the most, which is where money comes into play, unless it is an unknown indie that you've never heard yourself and people are trying to persuade you that it is so great and that you have to hear it like these guys on Ebay love to do over and over again. That's what saturates this hobby IMHO...

But if somethings good and your a collector surely it becomes worthless after you buy it as you'll never sell it? I have stuff I know I'll probably never listen to ever but there's just no way I can bring myself to sell it.

For the music without a doubt. I have a few rareties here and there in my collection, but most are the obvious ones that a few others have. Haven't really bothered about tracking down the 'Rare Indies' as most I have never heard, so wouldn't fork out the big bucks on something I don't know. That being said, if I hear something I like, i'll try to get it. Wouldn't sell any of my main collection either, no matter what!, so if I do track down a goodie it is staying well put!!!

Without a doubt for the music. I could care less about the value of some of my cd's. I buy music to listen to it, not as an investment. To me, I will take a cdr of anything that is hard to get just so I can hear the music and decide about the hype. I don't currently sell music nor do I ever intend to do so. Trading is the way to go as it opens my ears to music that I cannot find or cannot afford. My music collection is just that, MY music collection. I enjoy it now and will continue to enjoy it as it grows whether it is purchased music or traded.

For the most part, it's the music for me.

Although, I have to admit, it is exciting when you find a cd in the bargin bin that you know is worth a bunch. If I do find that cd, I will always pick it up if for any reason than to just sell it on Ebay. Then, of course, I have more money to buy the cd's I want! :banana:

I have no qualms about selling a cd that I don't like. Although it makes me think twice if it's worth a bit of dinero.....

Its the music for me as well. As far as the rarer indies go, I only go after the one's I really like (Rott Sox is a good example as Ripper says). I'll also go after CDs for 5 bucks. Makes no difference to me as long as I like the music. What I hate is all the sellers on Ebay comparing a band to another band and when you buy it it sounds nothing like their comparison, that's why I won't buy a CD unless I've heard it or its cheap and I have nothing to loose.

I do have CD-Rs of the more expensive indies such as Theatre, Sgt Roxx, Taken etc and as money and time permits I'll try to track down the originals but to get them all would take forever or a hell of a lot of money. I don't mind paying a lot for a CD I really love to listen to.

I'd rather spend $100 on 5 or 6 great CDs than for one mega-rare indie that will simply give me bragging rights until the damn thing gets bootlegged, reissued or both. Having said that, there is something neat about having a CD that you know you won't be able to find 10 copies of at your local used CD shop.

I'd rather spend $100 on 5 or 6 great CDs than for one mega-rare indie that will simply give me bragging rights until the damn thing gets bootlegged, reissued or both. Having said that, there is something neat about having a CD that you know you won't be able to find 10 copies of at your local used CD shop.

I'd say for the music myself......Like Koogs said i'd rather spend $100 on a few cd's than on one mega rare cd.....Plus, most of the "Highly Sought After Indies" are not worth the plastic they are made on.....Of Course this is just my opinion, there are a select few Indie cd's that are worth alot, but the majority of them are horrible......

Later

Lon

For me it is 100% about the music of course. Most the ones I buy / have bought aren't worth that much, and more to the point is the fact that back when I bought them I had no idea they were actually worth something on ebay and so on. I just loved the music.

I have never bought a really high-priced rare indie but have been very lucky in my originals trading (Back about 3-5 years ago) and also CDR trading since and I picked up a lot of what people talk about as rare indies, and some of the rarest glam demos around... all purely for the love of the music because I don't have the time or the contacts to sell that kind of stuff.

I must admit that before I bought a home I did, from time to time, go out to 2nd hand shops and if I saw something I knew would get a dollar or two on ebay, I would buy it purely to sell - if I had it already. Eg. I bought about 15 copies of the 21 Guns CD (Aussie Indie) for a few dollars each - but why not?! I made quite a bit on that... and never even liked the CD myself :)

But yeah, now that I can't afford to buy ANYTHING anymore, that list of stuff I really want stacks up daily - and not because of their worth (Which is nothing yet), I just want to hear the music! Bloody hell, I think I'm the only person in the place who hasn't heard Soul Sirkus yet! Hopefully get a few for my b'day though... but unfortunately I've missed so many that many out-rank Soul Sirkus in my need-to-get list :)

Cheers,

Geoff

I must admit that before I bought a home I did, from time to time, go out to 2nd hand shops and if I saw something I knew would get a dollar or two on ebay, I would buy it purely to sell - if I had it already. Eg. I bought about 15 copies of the 21 Guns CD (Aussie Indie) for a few dollars each - but why not?! I made quite a bit on that... and never even liked the CD myself :)

So that's why I can't find this CD anywhere in Sydney lol...thanks Geoff :P

Average album but would still give it a home in my collection.

Vince.

Guest Satch

I don't care too much about money.

No doubt, it's about the music.

Ironically, No Doubt is NOT about the music. :P

• 2 months later...

It is so about the music...I have been collecting for lots of years and I have quite a few CDs that are worth some serious change....and some that I paid full price for new and they are going for less than a buck on Ebay in less than a month. I would never pay more than $50 for any cd no matter how rare it is. I can get at least 3 probably 4 cds of new stuff I have not heard before online at Neh records or Music Buy Mail or even CDUniverse. I am generally pretty pleased at my purchases. I am sure there is some Awesome indie stuff that would rock my world.......but I am also sure that there is some stuff out there being pressed on some small european label that I can get for 10 or 12 dollars that will also rock my world. Who knows maybe in 20 years that bands cd will be going for huge money on Ebay. It happened to me with Stage Dolls, Hurricane etc. I bought then for what music I liked and I still do. Buy what you love ...you cannot go wrong

All that being said I do get a little :dance: when I see Stage Dolls - Commandos going for $300 dollars. I would not sell mine (never say never) I love that cd

The music. Plain and simple. The music comes first. Always has, always will.

ROCK WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!! :banger:

SAN DIMAS HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!!!!....sorry. *ahem* <_<

if it wasn't for the music 99% of folks would be in the 'collecting' game so I'd have to say music. But there does come a time when a cd can hold more 'value' due to what it's worth on ebay compared to what is on the disc.

But i guess it's like any hobby, people will always question why.

Why pay 100's of millions for the original Mona Lisa when you can buy an identicle replica at the local poster shop for $5.....

why pay 1000's of dollars for a ticket to the superbowl when you can watch it on tv?

For me, its all about the music. While my collection may not have all the rarities that are "highly collectible", my collection suits my tastes. I just buy what I like. I'm going out today to buy the new Iommi album because Tony Iommi's guitar & Glenn Hughes' voice is one helluva duo! If I get it home and it sucks, so be it....I'll just hope it was on sale, LOL! If I buy an album by a band and I enjoy it, I'll explore their back catalog and/or future releases. Music is made to be listened to and I listen to as much as I can.

As far as the money aspect goes.....

If I see something rare that I already have, or I see something that will fetch a couple of bucks, I'll pick it up and throw it on Ebay. It puts a little coin in my CD fund and it gets a CD to someone that wasn't as lucky as me to find a copy. If I walk into the CD shop tonite & see a copy of Oxido or Sgt. Roxx etc, I won't pass it up. I know they are rare finds & worth some bucks on Ebay but they will go in my stereo, fill my ears, & get put in their proper slot in my CD cabinets. To find an album of such rarity would be exciting. I don't go out of my way to find them and pass up something else more common or new. I'll blow that $100 and come away with a good order from The End, Music Buy Mail, or Sentinel Steel that I'll enjoy.

I get more excited when I save money on CDs. Nothing is better than going to the shops on Saturday & Sunday mornings to grab all the CDs people brought in to get that extra drinking money for the weekend. Nothing beats getting 10 CDs for less than half price because someone needed money for beer. Or waiting a week for the people to return a new release because they don't like it.

Yup, totally agree.