Sick and tired OF EBAY, It's time to quit,,,,

Hi there,

I have been selling and buying hundreds of cd:s on Ebay since 2001. I have loved the trading over the years. I have done great deals with customers over the years.

First I want to say that I have usually made deals with great buyers over the years. But over the last couple of months i have seen a VERY LARGE increase of dead bidders and buyers that it takes ages to get payments from. For example, one buyer told me after 2 weeks after the auction closed that he had forgotten that he had bid on three of my items since he had worked a lot. He promised me he would pay but I have not recieved any payment yet after three weeks. Now It is also more buyers that you need to send another invoice since they have not paid after one and a half week. It is so tireing chasing payments from buyers all the time.

All this rubbish has made the deals on Ebay lost its charm and I'm sick and tired of selling cd:s and can't be bothered to continue selling cd:s on Ebay.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Why has this happened to Ebay

A year ago things like this hardly never happened and I thought Ebay was the greatest market place for great music.

Finally I must say that most buers are still great and pay really fast. I hope buyers like this keep up the good deals.

Take care

Ali :(

Well...you should add the stipulation in your auction that they must contact you within a certain amount of days and/or make payment within a certain amount of days or item will be relisted and they will be reported to ebay with no questions asked. I also add in mine, that if they use the Buy It Now feature, they must e-mail me immediately with the form of payment and their address. I figure if they're already sitting at the computer to hit the button, they can also sit there and e-mail me as well.

Some sellers are even going with the Must Pay Imediately option that ebay offers through PayPal. Maybe look into that. At least you'd be assured payment.

The sad thing is that people don't even read auctions anymore. I've even gone as far as to list my terms FIRST (sometimes in big red lettering) before the item description and I still get the stupid ass questions about payment options and where I ship to. I don't even bother responding to them people anymore.

I also make it clear that anyone with less than 5 total positive feedbacks must e-mail me with their intention to fulfill the terms before bidding or I'll cancel their bids and I still have them bidding. I canceled one guy's bid one time and he e-mailed me after and asked why. I told him that he didn't even read the auction rules and his response was that He did see that part, but I can't do that and he was going to report me. Well....nothing ever happened

Anyway...I know that eBay has become a haven for morons and deadbeats as of late, but all in all, most people are pretty good.

The sad thing is that people don't even read auctions anymore. I've even gone as far as to list my terms FIRST (sometimes in big red lettering) before the item description and I still get the stupid ass questions about payment options and where I ship to. I don't even bother responding to them people anymore.

I totally agree with you here!

It never happened to me by international bidders, but the domestic ones hardly read anything :angryfire:

Anyway...I know that eBay has become a haven for morons and deadbeats as of late, but all in all, most people are pretty good.

Cheers for your great response T-Bone. I'm agree to you mate. And yes most buyers arestill great.

I always have that they must pay by 10 days after the auction has closed in my description

Take care all

I don't sell too many items, but the last few I sold, I selected the option that I would not accept bidders with 0 or negative feedback. Seemed to work pretty well. I only got one bidder complaining about it, but I figure if he had 0 or negative feedback, he probably wouldn't have paid anyway. Yeah, by selecting that option, you may be limiting the number of potential bidders, but you also are making sure that the bidders that do bid will most likely pay......

That's why I kinda like the Buy It Now/Pay Instantly only option through PayPal. You're basically ensured payment. You limit potential buyers, but also potential headaches as well ;)

I completely agree and have been agreviated many times at buyers. I always put you must respond in 3 days with shipping address. I put it in the paypal notice, Ebay listing, and I always send a separate email at end of auction. On the 4th day I forward the previous email. On the 7th I file the NPA. Then there is the 10 day wait before you can get refunded:(

I figure even if they missed it in the listing that there is no way they could have missed the 3 day response in the paypal & separate email sent.

However I dont have as much patience as I used to. Since the process if you follow it actually takes 17 days. I figure even if they forgot, ect, they still have time to get payment to me.

Good Luck

hi, don´t know which country you´re from. i´m from germany and i must admit that if there are any problems mostly guys from the states are involved, nearly never guys from europe.

yes, that´s not a funny thing, but all in all it mostly works. i sell about 300 cds a year and may be there are 5 deadbidders.

oliver (stuttgart/germany)

Hi there,

I have been selling and buying hundreds of cd:s on Ebay since 2001. I have loved the trading over the years. I have done great deals with customers over the years.

First I want to say that I have usually made deals with great buyers over the years. But over the last couple of months i have seen a VERY LARGE increase of dead bidders and buyers that it takes ages to get payments from. For example, one buyer told me after 2 weeks after the auction closed that he had forgotten that he had bid on three of my items since he had worked  a lot. He promised me he would pay but I have not recieved any payment yet after three weeks. Now It is also more buyers that you need to send another invoice since they have not paid after one and a half week. It is so tireing chasing payments from buyers all the time.

All this rubbish has made the deals on Ebay lost its charm and I'm sick and tired of selling cd:s and can't be bothered to continue selling cd:s on Ebay.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Why has this happened to Ebay

A year ago things like this hardly never happened and I thought Ebay was the greatest market place for great music.

Finally I must say that most buers are still great and pay really fast. I hope buyers like this keep up the good deals.

Take care

Ali :(

Yeah, I used to offer Buy-It-Now, but I found myself offering the items at too low of a cost sometimes. I guess I just underestimated. I've had quite a few auctions end within an hour of posting.... <_<

That's okay with me, if I get the price I wanted to sell the item for.

My problem with "Buy it now" is that eBay changed its pricing and now it costs you arm and leg to include it :angryfire: and provided that in 60%+ it gets dismissed almost momentarily its not worth paying for it.

Maybe if eBay makes it so "Buy it now" stays active untill the price is met I would reconsider using it again, till then though, I'm through with it!

Yeah, I used to offer Buy-It-Now, but I found myself offering the items at too low of a cost sometimes. I guess I just underestimated. I've had quite a few auctions end within an hour of posting.... <_<

My problem with "Buy it now" is that eBay changed its pricing and now it costs you arm and leg to include it :angryfire: and provided that in 60%+ it gets dismissed almost momentarily its not worth paying for it.

Maybe if eBay makes it so "Buy it now" stays active untill the price is met I would reconsider using it again, till then though, I'm through with it!

Ebay becomes less "seller-friendly" each and every day. Hell, they weren't making enough money before these additional fees, etc.?

I still search ebay every day for CD's (it remains the grail for finding the discs I'm looking for), but I also search gemm, amazon, etc. much harder and heavier than ever before. Ebay's greed has made me sick to my stomach. :puke:

• 2 weeks later...

Having just had my first experience of selling on eBay, I think I'm just gonna stick to buying. I had 17 CD's to sell, and whereas most were good honest buyers who paid straight away I've had 2 people who won auctions and have now told me they don't have paypal (next to the 'BID' button it stated that the buyer had to have a paypal account), 1 person said he'd accidentally bought the wrong item and was it okay if I re-list, and 2 people who won auctions are now trying to re-negotiate the price downwards (1 of these said there was no way he could possibly afford the price and acted very surprised when I sent him the invoice - but he won the auction at that price and it's a very rare CD) :(

Please tell me, is this unusual? Have I just attracted all the deadbeats? I am reluctant to give negative feedback as this is my first time selling and I can't afford the negatives back, but seriously.... :crash:

Ebay becomes less "seller-friendly" each and every day. Hell, they weren't making enough money before these additional fees, etc.?

I still search ebay every day for CD's (it remains the grail for finding the discs I'm looking for), but I also search gemm, amazon, etc. much harder and heavier than ever before. Ebay's greed has made me sick to my stomach. :puke:

does gemm, amazon etc accept paypal or is that just an ebay thing?

Having just had my first experience of selling on eBay, I think I'm just gonna stick to buying.  I had 17 CD's to sell, and whereas most were good honest buyers who paid straight away I've had 2 people who won auctions and have now told me they don't have paypal (next to the 'BID' button it stated that the buyer had to have a paypal account), 1 person said he'd accidentally bought the wrong item and was it okay if I re-list, and 2 people who won auctions are now trying to re-negotiate the price downwards (1 of these said there was no way he could possibly afford the price and acted very surprised when I sent him the invoice - but he won the auction at that price and it's a very rare CD)  :(

Please tell me, is this unusual?  Have I just attracted all the deadbeats?  I am reluctant to give negative feedback as this is my first time selling and I can't afford the negatives back, but seriously....  :crash:

Make him Pay for the cd at the price he won it. Give him about a week to get you the money even if it does mean a Money order or Cashiers Check. Hold the cd until it clears. If he still doesn't want to do it, notify eBay of the non paying bidder and get your listing fee back. They'll deal with him. Count about 89 days after the auction and then leave him negative feedback. I think the auctions only are active for 90 days.

This is a situation where I think the seller should be able to leave the necessary feedback, but the buyer, not filling his obligations, should not be able to leave any feedback at all <_<

I hope so T-Bone. I'll do as you suggest, but it really seems like people either don't understand £1 does not equal €1 and don't bother doing the conversion, or just genuinely don't understand that their bid is binding. :fun_84:

I've had newbies hit the buy it now and then e-mail me saying it was an accident and Sorry. I told him that either he paid for the guitar or eBay action would be taken and he would get negative feedback. I never heard back from him so he got a negative. I relisted the guitar only to have another shithead tell me i was "Pissy" because I said any bidders with less than 5 feedbacks will have their bids cancelled unless they e-mail me first. He bid anyway so i cancelled him. Little prick sent all sorts of nasty e-mails after that.

I've had newbies hit the buy it now and then e-mail me saying it was an accident and Sorry. I told him that either he paid for the guitar or eBay action would be taken and he would get negative feedback. I never heard back from him so he got a negative. I relisted the guitar only to have another shithead tell me i was "Pissy" because I said any bidders with less than 5 feedbacks will have their bids cancelled unless they e-mail me first. He bid anyway so i cancelled him. Little prick sent all sorts of nasty e-mails after that.

There are all sorts of "James Arwines" recklessly bidding out there. Its good eBay added the filter which will let you keep away people with low feedback from your auctions. I set mine not to accept bids from (0) buyers and enjoying it so far.

I've had newbies hit the buy it now and then e-mail me saying it was an accident and Sorry.

Well thats a crappy excuse anyway as you always get a screen that asks you to confirm the bid,so even if you do accidently click on but it now,you are not gonna accidently click on the confirm button as well!

I will admit early in my ebay buying "career" I would sometimes get a bit over excited on auctions & bid before I checked the payment options,and once or twice I accidently bid on auctions that were paypal only,and at the time I didnt have paypal.

In those instances I contacted the seller straight away & explained my mistake & offered to send payment through the post.

The sellers were understanding & accepted that mistakes do happen,and forwarded an address to me.

If they had refused,then it would have been difficult to pay them,but lets face it,as long as they get their money,they were quite willing to work with me on it.