PETRA - Beyond Belief

RECON - Behind Enemy Lines

SHOUT - It Won't Be Long

SHOUT - In Your Face

WHITE HEART - Emergency Broadcast

WHITE HEART - Powerhouse

WHITE HEART - Tales Of Wonder

WHITE HEART - Highlands

check out Sin Dizzy, Oz Fox and Tim Gaines from Stryper formed this band after they split up. They made one cd (title doesn't come to mind right now...). Has some good songs on it.

I think the Sin Dizzy CD is titled "He's Not Dead." Don't quote me, however.

Petra - "On Fire" has been getting some play in my car lately, and it's very good.

You're right, it's called He's Not Dead...

I just heard God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You from Petra and was quite surprised! Never new that Kiss covered it from them. Since the Kiss version was entitled God Gave... II i kinda figured it must be a cover version, but didn't know it was Petra. Lyrics are slightly altered I think, but still Kiss covering a Christian band is kinda fun! Like the Kiss version a lot more though...

btw, does someone know where I can get Novella? Heard the song Coming Home and I really like it, but I can't download it anywhere and I haven't seen the cd for sale anywhere...

Some of my Christian AOR faves (in no particular order):

Mastedon - Lofcaudio

The Brave - Battle Cries

Matthew Ward - Fortress

Michael Gleason - Children Of Choices

Idle Cure - Eclipse

Halo - Same & Heaven Calling

Amy Grant - Lead Me On

Novella - One Big Sky

Liaison - Same & Urgency

Scott Springer - Hello Forever

White Heart - Freedom & Tales Of Wonder

check out Sin Dizzy, Oz Fox and Tim Gaines from Stryper formed this band after they split up. They made one cd (title doesn't come to mind right now...). Has some good songs on it.

I think the Sin Dizzy CD is titled "He's Not Dead." Don't quote me, however.

Petra - "On Fire" has been getting some play in my car lately, and it's very good.

You're right, it's called He's Not Dead...

I just heard God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You from Petra and was quite surprised! Never new that Kiss covered it from them. Since the Kiss version was entitled God Gave... II i kinda figured it must be a cover version, but didn't know it was Petra. Lyrics are slightly altered I think, but still Kiss covering a Christian band is kinda fun! Like the Kiss version a lot more though...

btw, does someone know where I can get Novella? Heard the song Coming Home and I really like it, but I can't download it anywhere and I haven't seen the cd for sale anywhere...

Dusty

Just for you info Re. 'God Gave'. This is a Russ Ballard song from 'All Together Now' an album from Argent in 1972 , Petra covered it in 1977 and later Kiss as you point out.

• 2 weeks later...
I just heard God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You from Petra and was quite surprised! Never new that Kiss covered it from them. Since the Kiss version was entitled God Gave... II  i kinda figured it must be a cover version, but didn't know it was Petra. Lyrics are slightly altered I think, but still Kiss covering a Christian band is kinda fun! Like the Kiss version a lot more though...

Dusty

Just for you info Re. 'God Gave'. This is a Russ Ballard song from 'All Together Now' an album from Argent in 1972 , Petra covered it in 1977 and later Kiss as you point out.

Actually, Petra covered Russ Ballard's "God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You" in 1984 on their "Beat the System" album. Being a Christian rock band, Petra changed the lyrics to reflect a more spiritual message.

I just heard God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You from Petra and was quite surprised! Never new that Kiss covered it from them. Since the Kiss version was entitled God Gave... II  i kinda figured it must be a cover version, but didn't know it was Petra. Lyrics are slightly altered I think, but still Kiss covering a Christian band is kinda fun! Like the Kiss version a lot more though...

Dusty

Actually, Petra covered Russ Ballard's "God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You" in 1984 on their "Beat the System" album. Being a Christian rock band, Petra changed the lyrics to reflect a more spiritual message.

Dusty

It's also on their 1977 album 'Come And Join Us' as well as Beat The System' in '84

A newer, melodic rock band that I would recommend is MARS HILL. They are a local band in the Massachusetts/Rhode Island area. Thier first cd, "Sink Or Swim" was produced by none other then Michael Sweet of Stryper.

All of the band members are christians .. I have met them all ... some of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

The Official Mars Hill Website

If you like melodic heavy metal .. ROB ROCK is a must have!

His latest cd .. HOLY HELL .. is just unbelievable. Get the Geman issue of the cd and you will get a bonus track as well as a video on the disc.

Another cd of his .. Rage Of Creation .. is equally as good! Get the Japan issue of this disc for a bonus song.

:banger:

I would suggest

Whiteheart---Freedom hard rock

Petra--Beyond Belief/On Fire hard rock

Heathen-any metal

Giant-- debut/Time to Burn rock/aor

Ken Tamplin----any, hard rock

Jars of Clay--lighter rock, all cds r great

God gave rock and roll to you was not first done by Petra, it was done by Argent on an album called In Deep, it may be on a best of as well, but the version on In Deep is over 7 minutes and a great one, not sure if In Deep is printed on cd???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For me, the all time BEST Christian metal band was Barren Cross, particularly the "Atomic Arena" and "State of Control" albums. Excellent Priest/Maiden style power metal. Mike Lee had lungs of leather (anyone know what he's up to now?)

Back in the day I also enjoyed:

Sacred Warrior (Queensryche style stuff, I have three out of their four CDs and all are excellent)

Deliverance (God's answer to Metallica; their first four albums anyway, after STAY OF EXECUTION, buyer beware)

Rose (Total Danzig clones but they sounded sooooo good, especially the second album, HEALING)

Recon (too bad they only made one album)

Shout

And a bunch of others that I can't think of off the top of my head... it's late and I need to turn the computer off now. Nite y'all :crazy:

Duh... I asked "Anybody know where Mike Lee (of Barren Cross) is now?" and right above that was a post saying he's in a band called "Sanxtion."

Sorry all, blame it on me being a newbie on this board (and a tired one at that). I'm still learning my way around this thing!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bride has a lot of good ones. From Snakes to The Jesus Experience.

Also check out the Christian band Stir. There was a grunge type Stir from St. Louis non christian. Stir-Broken Toungues was the name of the CD.

Also check out Rose. Good Danzig type of metal.

Also early Disciple. Not the newest one (they joined the Switcfoot bandwagon).

Bride has a lot of good ones. From Snakes to The Jesus Experience.

Also check out the Christian band Stir. There was a grunge type Stir from St. Louis non christian. Stir-Broken Toungues was the name of the CD.

Also check out Rose. Good Danzig type of metal.

Yeah That Stir is Killer!! It's Called Broken Tongues..sounds kinda AIC-ish too.....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest Maximus
I don't think anyone mentioned these bands......

Red Sea

King James

Sacred Reign

Blood N Fire

Jeff Sheetz

Damascus Road

Princess (single only...but WELL worth checking out the cover!!)

Latter Reign

Feast or Famine

Relyant

And some others that escape me right now.......of course, some of those I listed are harder to come by than others.... :)

Thanks for the mention of Latter Reign! They were my personal favorite. Hopefully we can get some stuff out and be heard from again!

• 3 months later...
  • 11 years later...