My first negative feedback.

On the 6/12/04 , i bidded on and won 5 auctions from different sellers and when i went to pay for them , i realised one of them was not with paypal which i honestly thought they all were. { I only buy from sellers with paypal}

The one which was not with paypal was a 2 euro , cds from a seller in Germany and the shipping was 8 euro. So i thought , well it was my mistake so i took time off work and went to the bank to convert some money into euro's and post it to him.when i got to the bank i was told i would have to convert a minimum of $100 Australian dollars with a $38 fee included {that = 79 euro's}.

So that option was out. A Direct Bank Deposit was the next option but after them explaining the charges and fees , that to was going to cost the equivalent of 30 euro's for a 2 euro cds which i was not prepared to do.

I then went to the post office to enquire about an IMO only to find out it was going to cost me roughly the same as a Direct Bank Deposit.

I then contacted the seller to advise him that i could not pay any of those ways , explaining all the options and what it was going to cost me ,so i offered to pay him with a 14 euro ebay gift voucher or pay the money into a paypal account of someone he might know aswell as covering any fees and charges incured.

He replied saying you can get euro's in England and still to post it to him. I then replied that i am from Australia ,not England and euro's is not our currency.

He did not reply after again emailing him with those offers so i emailed him again saying that if he wont accept any of those offers , there was no other way of getting the payment to him at a reasonable cost and sincerely apologised for any inconvience and hoped he would understand and that he should offer it to the next highest bidder.

He did not reply and now 3 months later , he has left negative feedback which has really pissed me off because even though it was my fault not checking properly that he did not accept paypal , it was a genuine error on my behalf that i apologised for on many occasions and did every thing possible to try to complete the purchase and because he did not reply to the last email on the 19/12/04, i thought he was okay with it but obviously he was not !!!!!!!!!

Remember , this was for a 2 euro cds.

Prior to this , i had a 100% positive feedback record.

I would like the opinion from some sellers on this weather negative feedback should have been left !!!!!

That sucks Dave. I only buy from sellers that accept Paypal and in all the excitement I too have made that mistake. But for the trouble you went though he (IMO) certainly didn't need to leave you a negative feedback. All he had to do was let the thing drop. It's not hard to relist an item and get the fees back from ebay. For something that was only a couple euros he certainly held a grudge. So the next question is do you try to get it withdrawn or retaliate with a negative back at him?

That sucks Dave. I only buy from sellers that accept Paypal and in all the excitement I too have made that mistake. But for the trouble you went though he (IMO) certainly didn't need to leave you a negative feedback. All he had to do was let the thing drop. It's not hard to relist an item and get the fees back from ebay. For something that was only a couple euros he certainly held a grudge. So the next question is do you try to get it withdrawn or retaliate with a negative back at him?

I know it sucks for you when this happens but I understand why he did. I sell on Ebay also & it costs money to list these cd's. Anyone who has not been able to pay always gets negative feedback. I think you should expect that. :(

Later

JL

The guy is not wrong for leaving negative feedback but he could have been more understanding!

One problem you have when dealing with Germans is that English is not their first language,so if there is a problem it might be harder for them to understand you!

Its a shame the way your bank charges like that as I have had to send money in the past & The Post Office here will change up any amount for any currency they have,with no charge!

If I only wanted one US dollar,they would do it!

Germany is a country that does not have a great love of credit cards so many German ebayers do not accept paypal!

One suggestion I can make for the future is to contact someone from the UK,like me.

You could pay me via paypal,then I could get the Euros here,and send them for you!

Ok,its not ideal,and I wouldnt do it on a regular basis,but to help people out,why not?

Only extras it would cost you is enough to cover any paypal charges & the price of a stamp & envelope!

Unfortunately, I understand why you got a negative rating. Although, I would hope that he would indicate why you couldn't pay.

If you have a lot of positive ratings, I think it's ok. Especially since you were doing the buying. It almost makes me suspicious if someone has huge positive ratings and absolutely NO negatives. I mean, you are bound to run into someone who will either leave retaliatory feedback, or is just an asshole.

I believe it's more damaging to sellers who get a negative, as it reflects poorly on potential buyers. I have no problem selling items to users who only have one or two negatives......

On the 6/12/04 , i bidded on and won 5 auctions from different sellers and when i went to pay for them , i realised one of them was not with paypal which i honestly thought they all were. { I only buy from sellers with paypal}

The one which was not with paypal was a 2 euro , cds from a seller in Germany and the shipping was 8 euro. So i thought , well it was my mistake so i took time off work and went to the bank to convert some money into euro's and post it to him.when i got to the bank i was told i would have to convert a minimum of $100 Australian dollars with  a $38 fee included {that = 79 euro's}.

So that option was out. A Direct Bank Deposit was the next option but after them explaining the charges and fees , that to was going to cost the equivalent of 30 euro's for a 2 euro cds which i was not prepared to do.

I then went to the post office to enquire about an IMO only to find out it was going to cost me roughly the same as a Direct Bank Deposit.

I then contacted the seller to advise him that i could not pay any of those ways , explaining all the options and what it was going to cost me ,so i offered to pay him with a 14 euro ebay gift voucher or pay the money into  a paypal account of someone he might know aswell as covering any fees and charges incured.

He replied saying you can get euro's in England and still to post it to him. I then replied that i am from Australia ,not England and euro's is not our currency.

He did not reply after again emailing him with those offers so i emailed him again saying that if he wont accept any of those offers , there was no other way of getting the payment to him at a reasonable cost and sincerely apologised for any inconvience and hoped he would understand and that he should offer it to the next highest bidder.

He did not reply and now 3 months later , he has left negative feedback which has really pissed me off because even though it was my fault not checking properly that he did not accept paypal , it was a genuine error on my behalf that i apologised for on many occasions and did every thing possible to try to complete the purchase and because he did not reply to the last email on the 19/12/04, i thought he was okay with it but obviously he was not !!!!!!!!!

Remember , this was for a 2 euro cds.

Prior to this , i had a 100% positive feedback record.

I would like the opinion from some sellers on this weather negative feedback should have been left !!!!!

Well, the whole affair sux, but technically he had some reason for feeling screwed (granted his auction clearly stated he doesnt accept PayPal and the payment MUST ne in EURO only, etc.)

In Europe you can excange money at every street corner and people never realize how hard it is to get EUROS in USA/Australia... here I can buy them only from my bank (ugly overcharge fees) and at the Airport exchange (at a very gross rate). Bank transfer sux big time too (in Europe its very common and almost free of charge, but here the capitalists wont let you do that without ripping your skin off your back, haha!)

I probably whould have sent him a nice letter with US$2 inside to cover for his seller's fees. You still can do that and probably he will agree on mutually withdrawing the feedback...

I understand why he gave you the negative, but if I was the seller, I wouldn't have done it. You made an honest mistake and an honest effort to rectify it. And at 2 Euro, the fees aren't exactly bank-breaking. I also think it was a little back-handed to wait until the last minute to leave the neg. feedback, so you couldn't leave any for him. <_<

It's not hard to relist an item and get the fees back from ebay.

That's correct, with the exception that eBay refunds ONLY the final fee and the seller has to suck the loss of the insertion fee because of the non-paying buyer. It isnt really a big loss ($0.35 or $0.60) but when it happens on regular basis it may really piss you off.

I would not leave negative to a person like Dave who apologises and tries to work thigs out, but get mighty pissed when someone refuse to pay and casually tells me "oh come on, offer it to the next bidder or just relist it"

I noticed you said he waited 3 months to leave negative feedback. I assume he waited until the 90th day after auction so you could not leave him negative feedback?

Ive sold as i've stated before 2000+ items on ebay and these are always a judgement call by the seller. I have a basic set of rules for myself when buying on ebay which differ from most. Hardly ever do I buy International and I hardly ever spend more than 40.00 with any one seller.

As a seller though I never leave negative feedback unless its just a horrible transaction. Even with non payers I just file for my fees back and resell it.

Ive never had a negative but have come extremely close a few times. I am a seller that doesnt get to worked up if for instance a buyer says: He I got the item but lalalalala. Something they didnt like ect. I just refund the money and move on. That only applies to items 15.00 or less. Now if it was my mistake I just completely refund it and tell them to keep it.

As for your case. I agree that you did everything possible to make it right. I could see if the seller had left a neutral(just becuase he didnt except paypal) but a negative no way. Thats uncalled for and its uncalled for to wait 3 months to leave it. If you still have time to leave feedback I would return him the favor. :)

Maybe next time he will take the time to realize it was a honest mistake before he leaves negative feedback

Feedback can be left from the closed auction page as long as the page can be found in the system. This is a MINIMIM of 90 days, and is sometimes as long as 120 days

In short, if you can still access the auction page, you can still leave him negative feedback from there...

That sucks Dave.  I only buy from sellers that accept Paypal and in all the excitement I too have made that mistake.  But for the trouble you went though he (IMO) certainly didn't need to leave you a negative feedback.  All he had to do was let the thing drop.  It's not hard to relist an item and get the fees back from ebay.  For something that was only a couple euros he certainly held a grudge.  So the next question is do you try to get it withdrawn or retaliate with a negative back at him?

I have asked him in a nice way to contact myself so we can discuss the situation and to see if he would retract the negative feedback but i'm not holding my breath waiting because he did not reply too often to emails earlier on.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO REPLIED WITH THEIR VIEWS ON THIS TOPIC, WEATHER YOUR VIEWS WERE FOR OR AGAINST THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK BEING LEFT. :drink:

Well, I can see where he felt compelled to do it, but on the other hand, I can see why maybe he could have worked something else out with you. I'll just tell you to be more careful in the future and watch for that. I got stuck in the situation once as well, but found a way to get him the money for the cd. It took a little longer, but he was understanding. I had a guy I bought from in Europe and sent him the PayPal to get the other seller his money for my cd. Kind of like Captain Howdy told you. It took a little longer, but I had bought from the guy many times and I trusted him. I also bought 4 more cd's from him for his troubles :angel: