Ridiculous postage costs on ebay...........again

Was gonna bid on this CD cause its only $0.99 but didnt because of the postage costs!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Now,I might not live in America but I know it certainly does not cost $13 to send one CD to the UK or anywhere else in the world for that matter!

I could swallow $5 but seeing as this guy charges more than that for shipping in his/her own country,that aint gonna happen!

Its all well & good putting a CD up for that price in the first place,but trying to fool someone into thinking they have a bargain by overcharging on the postage is just plain wrong!

Including an envelope it would cost me about $2.50 to send a CD to the USA!

Actually, you can report him to the eBay Safeharbor team as it's against the rules to try and circumvent the eBay fee's. He's making up for the low cd price in his shipping costs. Ebay only charges their fee on the final price of the item sold and not the shipping. In essesence, he's jipping eBay as well.

The seller is responsible for determining the shipping and handling charges on listings, and eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion. Before bidding on an auction or buying in a fixed-price listing, bidders/buyers should contact the seller about any questions they might still have that are not directly answered in the item's description.

Sellers may charge reasonable shipping and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed up front in the listing. A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Shipping and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring shipping charges that may also include handling fees.

In the case of disagreements between buyers and sellers regarding shipping charges, eBay encourages the parties to try to work the matter out. Usually these situations can be amicably resolved.

Read this Page

Excessive Shipping/Circumventing eBay Fees

I can't recall which CD I was looking at earlier today, but I saw 2 different sellers selling the same CD. One was $3.50 and the other was $.99. No brainer, right?

Other than shipping for the $.99 CD was $5.00! (The $3.50 CD was $2.00 or $2.50.) I was like "Forget that. I'd pay a few more cents to get the other one just to not support someone who pillages with their shipping charges"

Bastards!

I was looking for a cheap GSM phone at 900mhz the other night to take with me when going to Europe. I saw one selling for about $20 and started reading the description, there was a link stating something like "its essential to click here to see pictures of the actual phone" so I clicked and guess what...there was a picture, alright, but under the picture the seller had written "shipping for this phone is $399" :2up:

The next day when I tried to show it to a friend this auction has been removed already :)

SOME SELLERS SHIPPING PRICES ARE WAY OUT OF LINE.  WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH SELLERS FROM GERMANY?  THEIR SHIPPING PRICES ARE ALWAYS HIGH?

You are spot on with Germany as a rip off.Alot of them ask for 8 - 10 euro for postage and upon receiving the package it is normally 3.50 or 4 euro postage stamped on the envelope.Pretty decent mark up especially when you also have to pay extra to cover paypal costs.

They do have some good stuff there , but i only use them as a "very" last resort. :drink:

Was gonna bid on this CD cause its only $0.99 but didnt because of the postage costs!

Now,I might not live in America but I know it certainly does not cost $13 to send one CD to the UK or anywhere else in the world for that matter!

I could swallow $5 but seeing as this guy charges more than that for shipping in his/her own country,that aint gonna happen!

Its all well & good putting a CD up for that price in the first place,but trying to fool someone into thinking they have a bargain by overcharging on the postage is just plain wrong!

That clown needs reporting as T-BONE suggests :agree:

You can ship one CD including new bubble envelope from US to UK for about $4. The problem is that US postal services charge flat $7.50 if you want to ship it registered, and you cannot apply insurance before registering it first... - and if you dont do that, no matter how upfront and in bold you will write your shipping disclaimer, the buyer will keep YOU repsonsible if their CD gets lost in the mail. Sad but true. and there are far too many bad people that will try to collect their item and refund for it, especially if paying via GayPal... I know that because before starting shiping everything delivery confirmed I ALWAYS had at least 1 per every 20 buyers proclaming their package "lost", since I started shipping delivery confirmed I've shipped more than 500 parcels and NONE got lost! Time to time someone will say its "lost", but when I provide the trackable # they always miraculously find it somehow... Go figure...

When shipping internationally I personally use GPM - their small fixed size envelope takes exaclty one CD with the jewel case and it cost $5. I charge the buyer $6, considering the $1 surcharge as handling fee for all tedious custom forms I have to fill while shipping overseas. It cannot be registered or insured, but it travels lightning fast and gets to Western Europe for 3-4 days (2 days to England usually) so buyers are happy and havent had problem recently.

I get charged 5.5 euro (roughly $6.5) to ship 1 cd out of Portugal - if its 2/3 it gets to 8 euro (about $10) - this shipping system does included online tracking and its the only way i do ship them.

So sometimes it may seem expensive, but there's usually some reason for it. (of course there's always exceptions :) )

I get charged 5.5 euro (roughly $6.5) to ship 1 cd out of Portugal - if its 2/3 it gets to 8 euro (about $10) - this shipping system does included online tracking and its the only way i do ship them.

So sometimes it may seem expensive, but there's usually some reason for it. (of course there's always exceptions  :) )

See! and if I want to ship with online tracking it is $4 + $7.50 = $11.50, and it is roughly +$2 per each additional CD - USPS sux :cussing:

See,I can understand some countries having to charge extra on postage because the poorer the country,the higher their costs will be!

But with the USA,things are a lot cheaper than most countries.

I get parcels from the USA all the time from Amazon traders,so I know how much it costs to ship one CD,and it sure aint $13!

One of the reasons I do a lot of my buying off Amazon these days is because Amazon set the postage costs,there is no overcharging by sellers,cause its a fixed price!

See,I can understand some countries having to charge extra on postage because the poorer the country,the higher their costs will be!

But with the USA,things are a lot cheaper than most countries.

I get parcels from the USA all the time from Amazon traders,so I know how much it costs to ship one CD,and it sure aint $13!

One of the reasons I do a lot of my buying off Amazon these days is because Amazon set the postage costs,there is no overcharging by sellers,cause its a fixed price!

I agree with you and only was trying to explain the difference for regular vs registered shipping, which makes difference from seller's point of view eventually.

And US Postal Services are rip-offs in this department with their ridiculous flat-rate $7.50 registration fee

I love to save myself and gladly would ship the cheapest possible way, but sometimes when the buyer gets back to you and says "hey, where is my package?" and you tell him "sorry, but you didnt opt for registration and I cannot help you out" they dont say "yeah, you are right, its my loss, sorry...", they just go and dispute with PayPal and collect their payment back! Why should I be responsible?

It is a tradeoff, and you solely rely on postal services and buyer's honesty when shipping unregistered and uninsured parcels. And sooner or later eventually you get screwed, and when this happens you reconsider and start charging mandatory registration for intenrational PayPal payments.

And yes, there are too much wackos on eBay overcharging people with shipping and that sux big time, especially when you get your product negligently packed via cheapest possible way. I just got one LP shipped media mail to me in soft bubble envelope for $1.42 (paid $6 shipping) and I'm going to collect my money back from this idiot as the LP came to me with HUGE fresh seam split and bent corners and I'm NOT going to ship it back on my own expenses and not getting refunded for the shipping he pocketed as profit and let my LP unprotected for $1.42

I just paid some jerk to send me something from the US to Australia. They asked for $US12 at the time which i thought was bit steep, but in the rush I was I paid it and waited for the package to arrive. I thought maybe they were going to package it 'excessively', hence the cost

it cost the bastard only $2.60 to send... and it arrived in an unpadded envelope.

Anyway I contacted him and asked what the hell he was doing and he spun me some big story about saying it cost him "time" to fill out a customs sheet, "time" to get to the post office, ect....

What a load of garbage! By actually submitting a listing on ebay you automatically accept that you're gonna have to pack it up and send it.

I know I have occasionally 'accidentally' overcharged. Aussie post offices have a difference for parcels or letter even if they're the same weight. Usually cds go as parcels, but occasionally if you smile nicely at the girl behind the counter she'll slip it in as as letter thereby costing you $3 instead of $7.

cheers

lindsay

I just paid some jerk to send me something from the US to Australia. They asked for $US12 at the time which i thought was bit steep, but in the rush I was I paid it and waited for the package to arrive. I thought maybe they were going to package it 'excessively', hence the cost

it cost the bastard only $2.60 to send...  and it arrived in an unpadded envelope.

Anyway I contacted him and asked what the hell he was doing and he spun me some big story about saying it cost him "time" to fill out a customs sheet, "time" to get to the post office, ect....

What a load of garbage! By actually submitting a listing on ebay you automatically accept that you're gonna have to pack it up and send it.

I know I have occasionally 'accidentally' overcharged. Aussie post offices have a difference for parcels or letter even if they're the same weight. Usually cds go as parcels, but occasionally if you smile nicely at the girl behind the counter she'll slip it in as as letter thereby costing you $3 instead of $7.

cheers

lindsay

:agree: Overcharging with $10 for "handling" fees sux big time! I hope you left the bastard negative!

I accept handling "reasonable" up to $2, considering packaging matherials, time, even gas to get to the post office if you will, BUT anything over $2 is a steal and sux!

Unfortunately this is what is called "competitive economics" and how the capitalist market works. :rolleyes:

No offense Lindsay...but THIS line is 'garbage'...

"What a load of garbage! By actually submitting a listing on ebay you automatically accept that you're gonna have to pack it up and send it."

First off...why wouldn't someone's time be considered compensatory? To say that they already accept that because they're auctioning an item off is rediculous. Look around the world....and notice the "shipping and HANDLING" charges that vendors charge people who buy things through the mail, etc. EBay isn't any different.....

And...if it's clearly stated what those costs are going to be ahead of time, then as the buyer you should be fully aware what the costs will be.

Now...the argument to discuss maybe what is considered a 'fair and reasonable' amount is another discussion....but no seller on this Earth should be considered to EAT the cost of doing business......

"What a load of garbage! By actually submitting a listing on ebay you automatically accept that you're gonna have to pack it up and send it."

First off...why wouldn't someone's time be considered compensatory? To say that they already accept that because they're auctioning an item off is rediculous. Look around the world....and notice the "shipping and HANDLING" charges that vendors charge people who buy things through the mail, etc.  EBay isn't any different.....

And...if it's clearly stated what those costs are going to be ahead of time, then as the buyer you should be fully aware what the costs will be.

Now...the argument to discuss maybe what is considered a 'fair and reasonable' amount is another discussion....but no seller on this Earth should be considered to EAT the cost of doing business......

I have sold enough stuff on ebay to know there are no costs in filling out customs slips putting an item in an envelope!

Postage costs should cover the postage & the packaging with maybe a little added for ebay charges,but profit is made on the items themselves,so how is anyone eating the costs of doing business?

I buy from plenty of mail order companies & for the most part I have not come across anyone with "handling" charges other than an electrical company I had to order stuff from as it was the only place I could get the items I needed!

A lot of companies I use now even offer free postage!

First off...why wouldn't someone's time be considered compensatory? To say that they already accept that because they're auctioning an item off is rediculous. Look around the world....and notice the "shipping and HANDLING" charges that vendors charge people who buy things through the mail, etc.  EBay isn't any different.....

I have sold enough stuff on ebay to know there are no costs in filling out customs slips putting an item in an envelope!

Postage costs should cover the postage & the packaging with maybe a little added for ebay charges,but profit is made on the items themselves,so how is anyone eating the costs of doing business?

I buy from plenty of mail order companies & for the most part I have not come across anyone with "handling" charges other than an electrical company I had to order stuff from as it was the only place I could get the items I needed!

Oh...so there's no 'cost' to your time involved in all of those actions??!! Your time is certainly worth something...I know mine is.....and if it's not...then you're just not being a smart businessman....

To assume that 'profit' is already in the final auction price for an item is rediculous. Especially if it's something that doesn't have a reserve or a buy it now price. An auction, otherwise, can go for ANY amount of money....be it $1..or $1000 so how on Earth could you make that assumption that the 'profit' is already in the items cost???...that's just plain silly....

Sorry, gotta disagree with you there!

If you list something ofcousre you're gonna have to send the thing out when you sell if. If you must charge a handling fee then list it in the auction. If there is no mention of a handling fee in the product listing then one can surely assume there will not be one added to the costs incurred.

As with most people I wouldn't object to say and extra $2 for his time , but to not say a word and then slug me with an extra $10 is crap.

Oh...so there's no 'cost' to your time involved in all of those actions??!! Your time is certainly worth something...I know mine is.....and if it's not...then you're just not being a smart businessman....

To assume that 'profit' is already in the final auction price for an item is rediculous. Especially if it's something that doesn't have a reserve or a buy it now price. An auction, otherwise, can go for ANY amount of money....be it $1..or $1000 so how on Earth could you make that assumption that the 'profit' is already in the items cost???...that's just plain silly....

Any "businessman" who lists an item for less than they paid for it is not a "businessman"!

And please learn to spell "ridiculous" when you keep levelling the insult at people!

The "ridiculous" people are those that list an item for less than you paid!

The only time anyone should be selling something for less than they paid for it is to shift goods you no longer want & just wanna sell to get rid of it!

A "businessman" selling goods for less than they paid & hiding the costs in the postage is just a con artist duping those people who get over excited & bid before checking postage costs!

As for it costing me time & money going to the Post office,nope,still dispute that one!

Yes I use fuel,but:

a)its minimal

B)I take multiple packages at once

c)I combine the journey with other shopping needs etc

d)its done on my own time,or on my way to work so I lose no money

Sorry, gotta disagree with you there!

If you list something ofcousre you're gonna have to send the thing out when you sell if. If you must charge a handling fee then list it in the auction. If there is no mention of a handling fee in the product  listing then one can surely assume there will not be one added to the costs incurred.

As with most people I wouldn't object to say and extra $2 for his time , but to not say a word and then slug me with an extra $10 is crap.

Lindsay...like I said in my prior post. If it's INDICATED in the auction how much it will cost then there's no question. BUT...if someone were to say to you 'after the fact' that you now owe an additional money...then, yes...you're right..that would be wrong...

Any "businessman" who lists an item for less than they paid for it is not a "businessman"!

And please learn to spell "ridiculous" when you keep levelling the insult at people!

The only time anyone should be selling something for less than they paid for it is to shift goods you no longer want & just wanna sell to get rid of it!

A "businessman" selling goods for less than they paid & hiding the costs in the postage is just a con artist duping those people who get over excited & bid before checking postage costs!

As for it costing me time & money going to the Post office,nope,still dispute that one!

Yes I use fuel,but:

a)its minimal

Cap'n.....spell checking me..........nice one...

But the bottom line is...that I AM a businessman, my friend. And not some internet or small-time business...a REAL Engineering and Construction Co. in Houston, Texas so you're not arguing with some 'rinky dink' eBay seller.

And people do 'business' in other ways than others.....just like some are more sucessful than others.....so, it's up to you to run your 'business' as you see fit.

The only thing that I totally disagree with .....and this shows some insight into how YOU run your 'business'....is that if YOU do not see your own time as worth anything...than that makes no sense. In 'business'...ones time is ALWAYS worth something...or else we'd be working for free......

Also, we're talking AUCTIONS here........the line you use where you say:

"The "ridiculous" people are those that list an item for less than you paid!

"

...this statement pertains to retail business......from Lindsay's statement, I thought we were discussing 'auction' type business.

And, to go one step further.....there are retail businesses...right here...like Best Buy, etc. that sell items at...or slightly less than cost.....so, you're supposition that they do it to move merchandise..while partially true, isn't wholly true. These businesses do this to attract customers...to lure them into the store to buy those items so that they can get the 'traffic' to see the rest of the items in the store. So...it's done all the time, Cap'n....

And here is something that we can TOTALLY agree on....

"A "businessman" selling goods for less than they paid & hiding the costs in the postage is just a con artist duping those people who get over excited & bid before checking postage costs!"

Yes...any hiding of any type of cost is wrong. But....if those costs are listed, then it's the bidders fault...not the sellers. As a consumer...you have the right NOT to be duped....but you also owe it to yourself to be smart...and educated about any purchase and READ all the fine print, etc. And that, my friend...is doing good 'business'.....

Guest Retrospect Records

Yes I use fuel,but:

a)its minimal

Captain Howdy - this is a ridiculous post that you made. Let me tear you apart here....

You said:

"Any 'businessman' who lists an item for less than they paid for it is not a 'businessman'!" "The 'ridiculous' people are those that list an item for less than you paid!

The only time anyone should be selling something for less than they paid for it is to shift goods you no longer want & just wanna sell to get rid of it!"

Really? I list everything at 99 cents because 1) Ebay fees are lower and 2) It's a marketing ploy to get people to bid - 99% go above my costs and beyond. So obviously you are clueless about the eBay business and probably not successful at it.

NEXT YOU SAID:

"As for it costing me time & money going to the Post office,nope,still dispute that one!

Yes I use fuel,but:

a)its minimal

d)its done on my own time,or on my way to work so I lose no money "

Okay , try doing 300+ packages a week and see how much it eats your time away - i damn sure am getting compensated for my time. 6% to be exact. Why shouldn't I? I am providing a quality service , therefore i should see some profit from a little handling charge (which, by the way , i charge $2.50 S&H which is very reasonable)

Now let's see your response.....

I will agree that $2.50 for shipping is one of the lowest on ebay considering that I've also paid $7 for shipping once. Most on eBay charge the standard $3.50-4.00 and any extra's after that is a dollar. They're still making a little money in shipping, but I don't mind until the shipping price gets above $4 for one cd. Then that a little out of hand. So...indeed $2.50 is very reasonable.

Brett Harling charges that amount as well to ship cd's and he does alot of business. Most of the time I recieve my cd within a day from him. I've won cd's from people who are just as close as him to me and they charge the $4 for shipping and it sometimes takes over a week. I think the longest VegasMetal ever took to get a cd to my mailbox was 4-5 days, but that's great compared to places like MetalMayhem, or some of the other big sellers. Daves Metal took an average of 2 weeks or more, if ever. <_<

Yes I use fuel,but:

a)its minimal

Captain Howdy - this is a ridiculous post that you made. Let me tear you apart here....

You said:

"Any 'businessman' who lists an item for less than they paid for it is not a 'businessman'!" "The 'ridiculous' people are those that list an item for less than you paid!

The only time anyone should be selling something for less than they paid for it is to shift goods you no longer want & just wanna sell to get rid of it!"

Really? I list everything at 99 cents because 1) Ebay fees are lower and 2) It's a marketing ploy to get people to bid - 99% go above my costs and beyond. So obviously you are clueless about the eBay business and probably not successful at it.

NEXT YOU SAID:

"As for it costing me time & money going to the Post office,nope,still dispute that one!

Yes I use fuel,but:

a)its minimal

d)its done on my own time,or on my way to work so I lose no money "

Okay , try doing 300+ packages a week and see how much it eats your time away - i damn sure am getting compensated for my time. 6% to be exact. Why shouldn't I? I am providing a quality service , therefore i should see some profit from a little handling charge (which, by the way , i charge $2.50 S&H which is very reasonable)

Now let's see your response.....

After some of the posts I have read about you & by you in the past,why should I take anything you say as being worthwhile?