Russian cd's Flooding ebay ?

I to have just recieved a couple of CD's through ebay to find they are the Russian Imports stating they are not to be sold outside of Russia.What is the go with these ? Are they legitimate or what and why dont the sellers state this when selling them.I've noticed now there is more and more sellers selling these.Unfortunately i have 4 more on the way and now i think i have been ripped off.If this is dodgy, why isn't ebay doing something about it!!!!!

This is really pissing me off so could anyone shed some light on this topic?

I to have just recieved a couple of CD's through ebay to find they are the Russian Imports stating they are not to be sold outside of Russia.What is the go with these ? Are they legitimate or what and why dont the sellers state this when selling them.I've noticed now there is more and more sellers selling these.Unfortunately i have 4 more on the way and now i think i have been ripped off.If this is dodgy, why isn't ebay doing something about it!!!!!

So which cds exactly are you having problems with? And are they trying to pass them off as the original deal? The ones I have really noticed flooding ebay and have bought that have been russian imoports are the 2 on 1 albums and they have always been listed as being russian so I haven't had a problem with it. Now if you are buying something like Vain - No Respect or Huricane - Over The Edge that turn out to be russian boots and are paying thirty-sum bucks a crack then I would be ticked too. Can you give an ebay link with an example?

So which cds exactly are you having problems with? And are they trying to pass them off as the original deal? The ones I have really noticed flooding ebay and have bought that have been russian imoports are the 2 on 1 albums and they have always been listed as being russian so I haven't had a problem with it. Now if you are buying something like Vain - No Respect or Huricane - Over The Edge that turn out to be russian boots and are paying thirty-sum bucks a crack then I would be ticked too. Can you give an ebay link with an example?

The two i have just got are Big Bad Wolf-Self Titled and Wicked Sensation-Exceptional.They were both US $9.99 each but that is not the point.

All he says is piad in US and shipped from Europe.

The sellers ebay i.d is antan7.

No were does he state Russian Pressing.

The disc states CD MAXIMUM L TD , under license of Major MTM MUSIC 7 PUBLISHING. This cd must not be sold outside Russia.

I also have 4 others on the way !!!!!!!! I'm not liking this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see where he is not being fully honest, especially when he has this on his sites:

about.gif

and the license he mentions is fully registered in Russia I guess. Pretty shady.

My last ebay purchase was with the same seller and I also received a Russian disc - his user ID says he is in Finland when in fact he is in Russia.

I requested an exchange for a legitimate pressing of the CD as the listing did not disclose this was a Russian CD & was offered a refund if I sent the disc back. I would only agree to this if return postage was included with the refund as I felt the listing was fraudulent & I shouldn't have to spend more $ along with the 5 bucks postage I was already out for something I didn't want so he told me to keep the CD & he would issue a refund in "a few days" which I have yet to see.

If these discs are not supposed to be sold outside Russia then what if any kind of liability do these sellers have legally? Obviously were not talking big bucks here, but nobody likes getting hoodwinked.

Is it getting to the point where you have to email sellers before you bid on anything to make sure you aren't getting one of these? Guess there's something to be said for sticking with sellers who you know to make sure this doesn't happen, but if you are looking for a particular title you may only find an unknown person with it listed(as was the case with me here).

The disc states CD MAXIMUM L TD , under license of Major MTM MUSIC 7 PUBLISHING. This cd must not be sold outside Russia.

I also have 4 others on the way !!!!!!!! I'm not liking this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CD Maximum is huge Russian company that specializes in licensing western releases for Russian market. Their agreement is region based, so they can pay smaller fees and make the CDs cheaper for the local market. If you export CDs that state "not to be sold outside Russia" outside of designated region you obviously infringe the agreement and they became something people usually refer to "gray market" product, which technically should be considered illegal in my opinion. As a rule of thumb if the artist is nor Russian and the CD shows whatever cyrillic marks on it, the chance it is illegal outside Russia is very fair. Russian "licenses" are very shaddy, for instance almost all AGAT releases has cyrillic writings on them stating they are proper licenses, but in fact most of them are plain bootlegs - especially 2-on-1 releases.

eBay itself doesnt do anything - they have wirtten all their fine prints protecting themselves and enjoy having as many auctions as they can get. You have to have a special representative from the interested /copyholder/ party to monitor the auctions and request ternimation. That's why many sellers doesnt openly state what they sell and prefer to label their auctions plainly "rare imports" etc. - its hard to track and shut them down that way.

Good hint is to read sellers feedback first, or ask very straight before bidding. I HATE buying russian pressings and always ask very directly if I'm in a slightest doubt. If you dont hear from the seller - screw this auction!

Thanks to you all for your input .Unfortunately i've had to learn the hard way with this Russian crap. :ahole:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up on my previous post on this topic: I did finally receive a full refund(after several emails) from antan7 without having to return the CD. So it wound up costing me about what its worth...

I'm still pissed about the 1972 Olympic Games. The Russians have been cheating us for years...

Trailing by five points at halftime, the U.S. deficit grew to 10 with under 10 minutes to play. A furious comeback aided by the play of guard Kevin Joyce shrunk the Soviet lead to one point with 38 seconds remaining. Trying to protect their lead, Alexander Belov's cross-court pass with less than 10 seconds to play was intercepted by Doug Collins. Collins was fouled hard driving to the basket with three seconds to play.

"I remember Coach Haskins and Coach Bach saying to Coach Iba, 'We gotta get somebody to shoot these free throws,'" said Collins. "Coach Iba said, 'If Doug can walk he's shooting them.'"

Under enormous pressure, the Illinois State guard sank both free throws giving the Americans a 50-49 lead, their first of the game. After the Soviets in-bounded the ball, the referees halted the game with one second remaining. The decision was made to put three seconds back on the clock. At issue was the Soviets' contention that they had signaled for a time-out between Collins' two free throws. The game officials never acknowledged the time out. The validity of whether a time-out was legally signaled for has divided passions on this game for 30 years.

After the Soviets in-bounded the ball a second time, the horn sounded signaling an apparent American victory. Moments later, the teams were ordered back on the floor because the clock had not been properly reset to show three seconds remaining. Because of this mistake by the scorer's table, the celebrating Americans stood in disbelief when they were told they had not won anything yet.

"We couldn't believe that they were giving them all these chances," said U.S. forward Mike Bantom. "It was like they were going to let them do it until they got it right."

"They had to reset the clock, so they (the Soviets) got a third chance," said L.A Times writer Randy Harvey. "The Americans thought that at every turn they had been cheated when, in fact, they probably hadn't been. But they'll never acknowledge that."

Alexander Belov, who moments earlier had been the goat, became the hero. Rising between Americans Jim Forbes and Kevin Joyce, Belov caught a full-court pass and scored the winning lay-up as time ran out, this time for good. The controversy did not end with the game. Convinced they had been wronged, the U.S. team filed a formal protest with the International Basketball Federation. Later that afternoon, a five-member panel ruled in favor of the Soviets.

"Everything progressed according to strictly Cold War politics," said Sports Illustrated writer Gary Smith. "There were three Communist Bloc judges. It's a three to two vote. America loses. The Soviet Union wins the gold medal, and at that point the American players are facing a stark reality. Do they accept the silver medal?"

"We felt like they just did something to us that was illegal and we didn't know any other way to protest than to say that you're not about to get us to show up to take that silver medal," said team captain Kenny Davis expressing the team's ultimate response.

Thirty years later, the silver medals sit unclaimed in a vault in Lusanne, Switzerland. The intervening years have done little to hide the emotions of that historic night in Munich.

"The American team was offended, and it wasn't right," said Ivan Edeshko, the player who threw the game-winning pass for the Soviets. "It was the cold war. Americans, out of their own natural pride and love of country, didn't want to lose and admit loss. They didn't want to lose in anything, especially basketball."

"If we had gotten beat, I would be proud to display my silver medal today," Bantom said. "But, we didn't get beat, we got cheated."

"I have placed it in my will that my wife and my children can never, ever receive that medal from the '72 Olympic games," said Davis.

Yeah, I know how you feel about those Russian CD's!

WOW man :crazy: ,

I believe if you think for a second you will see there isnt really connection between those two topics.

It is not the Russians that cheats you on eBay, but the greedy eBay sellers NOT reporting what they sell to you. As far as I can see both discussed sellers in question here are an American and Finnish... and I'm sure they both know exactly what they are selling, and how/from where they got it imported...

The proper topic should be "the capitalist bosses trying to make living on communist production" :rolleyes:

This guy antan7 has the Unruly Child III and The Basement Demos for $9.99 each plus shipping. Am I to assume these are Russian issues also, and would the quality be any different from the official release? I'm debating on whether to buy them from this guy or not.

This guy antan7 has the Unruly Child III and The Basement Demos for $9.99 each plus shipping.  Am I to assume these are Russian issues also, and would the quality be any different from the official release?  I'm debating on whether to buy them from this guy or not.

NEH has both of these for a few bucks more, but at least you'll know they're not bogus! :fun_84:

Frank... (and everyone else irate at the Russians....)

Great post (above). Being a Canadian (of European descent), I don't follow basketball (we only follow pucks up there, heheheh), however... we too are far too familiar with the corrupt system of play Russian's have so often employed over the decades... many similar antics were displayed during the legendary 1972 Summit Series in hockey (a timeless moment in Canadian history, likely not quite as known in the USA)... but similiar things happened to our teams when faced the Russians... including bogus arrests while in Russia, etc...

However, in the interest of being objective, fair, and unbiased- above all else... fightning fire with fire, only makes us like them. I'm referring to the Olympics in Greece. Very controversial decisions (one in particular) was made in favor of the American gymnast who won a gold medal, even after having fallen... anyway, I don't know much about gymanstics (guys, don't laugh at me for even bringin' up gymnastics... hehehe). However, the truth is- whether we want to admit it or not... there are many crooked/foul characters on both sides of the pond- in all nations... be it Russia, the USA, Canada, or any other nations. On the same token, there are many good people in all those nations. I find that these days, we far too seldom learn from our history- and recycle stereotypes, and prejudices... 200 years ago it was the blacks we persecuted... 100 years ago it was women who were deemed unequal... 50 years ago the Jews were persecuted... not long ago it was homosexuals... today it's virtually anyone with a middleastern background (instantly they all are somehow linked or at elast stand behind terrorism)... I'm not tryin' to get off topic here (not sure what this has to do with CDs....) but... I'm simply takin' a stand for mankind in general. I feel that after so many years of moral decay, we all should have learned more than we have as a whole. Bottom line is, especially today- with the world becoming more and more as one (via internet, ecommerce, Europe essentially working towards becoming one nation.... etc), we ought to cease stereotyping. Nothing can or will erase the countless fouls history unleashed upon us, however... little if any benefit will be generated if we embrace the future with a jaded heart. ;)

PJ

Yep , all his CD's must be Russian pressings because i just got Alice Cooper's "The Eyes Of Alice Cooper" Digi Pack and Voodoo Hill "Wild Seed Of Mother Earth" and they are both the Russian pressings. Now i only have the two BURNING RAIN albums still to come.

Pity it takes him 4 weeks to deliver otherwise i would have learnt from the first two i ordered and not ordered another 4 before i found out they were the Russian CRAP.

The thing is, i am seeing more and more of these CD's on ebay in which some do state they are shipped from Russia. Funny though that they don't say any where that they are not the original pressing. MMMMMMMM , I WONDER WHY ????????

:ahole:

BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if MTM contacted this seller because they wanted all his information ?

No connection between the 1972 Olympics and 2004 pirated CD's?  You're fuckin'kiddin'???  No shit, Sherlock Dofstoyevski... It was a simple analogy that the Russians cheat in the open market the same way they cheat in basketball and everything else.  Got 501's?

/me shrugs - Russians can cheat on basket, table tennis, or curling, I can't care less about it. Since I moved to live in USA I feel badly cheated by US sport channels in general, they are very ignorant, never show events live or in their entirety, and treat the viewer as coplete idiot. I pay like $80/month to Comcast for my bloody cable and all I can see on it is PBR bullshitting and endless celebrity bassfishing and elkhunting! Where are my wintersports,? FIS skiing? Hell, they even screwed the hockey season this time around in their evergrowing profit lust! what's next? NASCAR pay-per-view?

In this specific topic, however, I honestly dont see how Russians cheated you "in the open market" - the majority of the CDs in question are licensed and the Russian companies paid the proper fees on them. The problem here is that cerain greedy cellers stretch their arm and leg to import them, AND misrepresent them on eBay as the original releases - that's the problem! You have to blame the approprite party in the process, that's all I ment in my previous posting.

After blasting such posting I feel oblidged saying I'm NOT Russian, or affiliate to them in any way. I just usedto live in Moscow for 2 years as teenager and know they are just the same people as everybody else. I've also lived in US for 3 years now and can make comparison and tell here are some pretty crappy things here too, so lets not judge so easily before walking in someone's shoes first, at least for awhile.

Edited by stormspell

I did not say the Russian's cheated me. What i'm saying is the sellers who do not let you know they are Russian pressings {Which are legally not to be sold outside of Russia } are nothing but an absolute :ahole: and maybe the record labels should be keeping a closer eye on it or don't they give a fuck as long as they are getting their cut from it .?????????????

I did not say the Russian's cheated me. What i'm saying is the sellers who do not let you know they are Russian pressings {Which are legally not to be sold outside of Russia } are nothing but an absolute  :ahole:  and maybe the record labels should be keeping a closer eye on it  or don't they give a fuck as long as they are getting their cut  from it .?????????????

I agree to that 101% :drink:

It is labels/copyholder's responsibilities to sign for eBay's VeRO program and boot out all these auctions!

Ok folks...this topic has gone to the dogs; seems I can't log-in without reading a bunch of name-calling in this one, so I'm locking it down (I've also deleted the last few posts). If you wanna curse each other, take it to the flamefest area, PMs, or even email, cause you're not doing it in this forum any longer.