Obscure AOR Usage Alert!

heavyharmonies

Being an ardent fan of police dramas, I watch "Cold Case" on CBS on Sunday Nights. For those unfamiliar, it's a police drama about unsolved cases, sometimes from as far back as 30-40 years, that for one reason or another get re-opened. Very Law-and-Order-ish. One of the cool things about the show is that they use music from around the time the crime originally occurred throughout each show, and especially during the wrap-up/conclusion where the action takes place over a song, with no dialogue taking place. Usually very well done.

Tonight's episode was about a gay activist murdered in 1983. The wrap-up was set against Sheriff's "When I'm With You", played in its entirety.

Way cool, and surprising that they would choose a song as obscure as this.

-Dan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG.....I LOVE this show!!! I watched it too......but I couldn't figure out what that song was!!!

THANK YOU!!! :lol:

K....now I wanna pull out my Sheriff....been trying to decide what kind of musical mood I was in...

I turned on the last 5 minutes and was taken aback too when I heard it. At least someone in TV has some musical class :banana:

Kinda reminds me of an episode of Buffy when I could hear a song playing in the Bronze but it wasnt by the artist I'd usually associate it with so I was having trouble placing the song.

In the end it dawned on me that it was a Pretty Boy Floyd song from the A Tale of Sex, Designer Drugs, and the Death of Rock n roll EP!

I seem to remember it was the song Junkie Girl!

Ok,I know it wasnt PBF,but it was cool to hear that someone out there liked the song enuff to cover it & put it in the show!

Now that the topic has been brought up, I have a question for some of you top collectors. I was watching CSI (Miami, I think) and heard a song (into or instermental) playing in the backround. All I know is that the same guitar riff was used by the band Exizt on their opening instermental track, titled "Exizt" (from the After Midnight CD) If you know what band this riff was taken from, please let me know.

Just heard a 30 second or so snippet of House of Lords "Can't Find My Way Home" on the 8pm CSI on Spike TV! :banger:

• 1 month later...

Hardlines songs I Can't Find My Way and I'll Be There were in the movie rapid Fire with Brandon Lee :banger:

Hardlines songs I Can't Find My Way and I'll Be There were in the movie rapid Fire with Brandon Lee :banger:

That was the first time i heard Hardline when i watched this film and the minute the film ended , i grabbed some money and within half an hour i owned Double Eclipse.What a classic !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of others that come to mind that i heard from a film and had to get were , "On Broadway" by Paul Rodgers & Jeff Beck from the film "The Cowboy Way" and "Let It Rock" by Chequered Past from the film "No Apparent Motive" :drink:

In the movie Harley Davidson And The Marlboro Man, They used Black Eyed Susans Ride With Me and they also used a tune from The Screaming Jets in the movie somewhere

In the movie Harley Davidson And The Marlboro Man, They used Black Eyed Susans Ride With Me and they also used a tune from The Screaming Jets in the movie somewhere

They also used Bon Jovi on it aswell.

I love that film and got it on DVD not that long ago :drink:

I remember hearing Y&T's "Looks Like Trouble" in an episode of "Hunter"... Hunter was in a "heavy metal" bar, dressing the part. Hilarious.

Sheriff's "When I'm With You" doesn't seem obscure to me... it wasn't a big hit when originally released in '83... but it was a monster hit (#1 in '88 (or '89)).

Last night I heard Europe's "Final Countdown" for a commercial for the Westminster Dog Show.I also think they took Joey Tempests' hair,put a collar on it,and entered it in the poodle class so I guess it makes sense................. :D

OK, that's definitely laugh of the night! :lol:

Last night I heard Europe's "Final Countdown" for a commercial for the Westminster Dog Show.I also think they took Joey Tempests' hair,put a collar on it,and entered it in the poodle class so I guess it makes sense................. :D

I was just flipping through the channels and I saw this as well. That makes even more of a mockery of the song than has ever been done.

(Maybe your Joey Tempest joke is more than a joke. Maybe it's actually true and they were just making what they thought was an inside joke.) <_<

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to pitch a show to CBS or Fox...call it The Apprentice-North From Here version...I will use the Bullet Boys version of 'Money' and only have long-hairs that are lost in the 80s as my contestants...they can vie for top dog spot on Corner Gas or something... :crazy:

super bowl subway commercial used Alias - more than words can say

I caught that also. :D

I just saw that commercial this morning.......cute!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Not very obscure, but on the cartoon King Of The Hill tonight John Redcorn had RATT - Round And Round playing in his jeep.

• 9 months later...

Was watching "Billy and Mandy Save Christmas" with the kids the other evening on Cartoon Network, and during the end credits, "Round and round" by Ratt plays! :banger: