Poll - Favorite Retrospect Release so far....

Favorite Retrospect Release so far....  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with MARIAH, but I love the DEFCON too. I'd think MANILLA THRILLS will win this vote, but it wasn't really my thing...

Hey 80's metal collector,

Considering you have some connection with Sam and the bands working for retrospect, can you Try and give me Mariah's website/my space . Let me know how i could contact the band members via mail,if possible.

Really enjoyed their stuff and would love to know the story behind the song 'cry of the innocent'.

None,cause I don't have any of these...Some....errr never mind....

Don't feel bad bro cuz I don't have any of these CDs either. For that matter, I have never heard of most of these bands. Hell, I never even heard of Retrospect Records till I started hanging round this board!

Don't feel bad bro cuz I don't have any of these CDs either. For that matter, I have never heard of most of these bands. Hell, I never even heard of Retrospect Records till I started hanging round this board!

I've never heard of Retrospect records either..a few of the bands I have heard of but didn't think

they Officially put them out on CD so I'm a little lost...must be a bootleg thang..I dunno...

I would like to hear a few of them ....

I've never heard of Retrospect records either..a few of the bands I have heard of but didn't think

they Officially put them out on CD so I'm a little lost...must be a bootleg thang..I dunno...

After hanging around this board a while, I quickly learned to stay the heck out of the Retrospect Records flame-wars cuz I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other.... it's a policy that has served me well thus far ;)

After hanging around this board a while, I quickly learned to stay the heck out of the Retrospect Records flame-wars cuz I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other.... it's a policy that has served me well thus far ;)

Yeah I just saw another post so I'm outta here..don't want to stir up shit I know

nothing about...

I've always stayed out of these arguments to. I have the Defcon and it's really good. I've been on the site a few times to listen to samples also. I understand why everyones mad about the cdr/silver pressed argument.

With that being said I guess I understand the other side that you don't want to silver press a artist that you know will only sell 50 copies. Lets be honest here most of these artists will never move enough units to have their cds silver pressed, but if it's a cdr it should be made clear that it's a cdr and it should only cost $10 or $12 not $30 or $40.

As for my favorite it would have to be Defcon of the few that I've heard, but I am looking foward to hearing Strikeforce since their from St. Louis/Southern Illinois.

I went with MARIAH, but I love the DEFCON too. I'd think MANILLA THRILLS will win this vote, but it wasn't really my thing...

I am still dying to hear Defcon and Mariah, but I kinda agree with Tim (2) here. I think Manilla Thrills will win, but it wasn't overly my thing either. There were a few cool tracks, I thought it was a good solid disc, but it hasn't returned to my player for many more spins. :( Nowhere near as good as I was hoping. The only others I've heard are:

Alyze - pretty cool stuff, but again not essential, IMO.

Pleezer - Okay stuff, don't like the vocalist.

But what I've heard of Defcon and Mariah sounds amazing, so really hope to hear these 2 some day. :)

With that being said I guess I understand the other side that you don't want to silver press a artist that you know will only sell 50 copies. Lets be honest here most of these artists will never move enough units to have their cds silver pressed, but if it's a cdr it should be made clear that it's a cdr and it should only cost $10 or $12 not $30 or $40.

That's about the most honest thing I've heard someone say from this forum and much appreciated. FINALLY someone who gets it. And let me clarify a few things.

Almost ALL cd's are priced between $9.99 and $12.99 - a fair price for a band who will probably see about $600 total in royalties (maybe more - it's all percentage based) - and actually cheaper than most cd-r's on cdbaby. CD-R or no cd-r , it costs money to make , from the graphic design , transfers (whether its from the original DAT tapes or a cassette) to the production to the marketing - not to mention the TIME involved. If I could burn these right off the office PC then yes , I can see maybe charging $5 but these cd's are all pressed in a factory and would never see the light of day unless Retrospect made the effort to take a risk on these artists.

I think most of you forget that when you pay $12 for a disc that most of that goes to the artist and that's why you should feel confident in purchasing from RR.

How many royalties did Sweet Teaze see?? I could never be confident with Retrospect. Also the point that Heaven & Hell was making was that you don't mention it on your auctions that these bootlegs are CDR's!! That's not very honest, is it Sam?? How about some transparency?? And what gets up my goat the most, is that you're too gutless to even use your real name in these forums?? Using 80's Metal Collector, LUV KIX, etc.. and all these difference alias’s is so sly and un-professional.

One last thing, you say that you will only ever move 50-100 units of some of your titles, well maybe you should do some advertising, get some real distributors, spend more than 10 minutes on your art-work, put out a professional product like a real record label and push these bands more?? Give these albums a chance.

Either way, people will think that I'm just trying to bring down Retrospect because they are one of our competitors and others who know me personally know my passion for this music. There is no doubt that Sam will come back firing and I expect that. One thing I will say is that every self-respecting hard rock collector should have a copy of both Retrospect Records's Mariah CD's as well as the Manila Thrills album. Both sensational stuff and I've always congratulated Sam on those releases. It has got to make you wonder why I don't have a bad word to say about Metal Mayhem, Perris Records, Kivel Records, etc... They are all Suncity Records's competitors too!!

Kind regards

Dave

Suncity Records

I expected such a misguided response from you David. I shall say again in caps.. IF YOU DON'T LIKE RETROSPECT RELEASES THEN WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BID ON THEM???

I had your ass booted from ebay because you didn't pay what you owed so you tried using other names to bid on stuff.

Now who's the liar and backstabber?

I shall also say again David , I am about to PROVE once and for all how much of a liar and smarmy underhanded loser you really are....so prepare yourself for that.

As for your post , which is totally uncalled for and unwanted - this thread has to do with a POLL and not another chance for your cheap attempts to put down a competitor who is kicking your ass in every sense of the word.

I'll respond in kind...

"How many royalties did Sweet Teaze see??"

They would have seen a whole lot more than you've offered them had they OFFICIALLY signed with RR.

" I could never be confident with Retrospect."

Thats why you keep trying to bid on the cd's right David?

" Also the point that Heaven & Hell was making was that you don't mention it on your auctions that these bootlegs are CDR's!!"

Firstly , none are boots. Secondly , We cater to music fans and not fans of a particular color of disc. If a buyer is unhappy they can always return for a refund. How many times has this happened since August 2005? 2 Times.

"And what gets up my goat the most, is that you're too gutless to even use your real name in these forums??"

Coming from a guy who got suspended from ebay and is now using an alias to bid on cd's? You have GOT to be fucking kidding me.

"One last thing, you say that you will only ever move 50-100 units of some of your titles, well maybe you should do some advertising, get some real distributors, spend more than 10 minutes on your art-work, put out a professional product like a real record label and push these bands more?? Give these albums a chance."

I'll tell you what , how about you focus on your OWN company David who seems to have a difficult time releasing ANYTHING.

We're doing just fine here at the Retrospect camp.

"It has got to make you wonder why I don't have a bad word to say about Metal Mayhem, Perris Records, Kivel Records, etc... They are all Suncity Records's competitors too!!"

Yes , and Metal Mayhem has a hard time paying their artists (I have plenty of proof on that allegation , email Ron Keel for starters) , Perris releases cd-r's and Kivel , well , Kivel puts out good product.

Looks like you have a personal vendetta David , it's either that or some major jealousy going on.

I would seriously consider either seeking psychiatric help or focus a little bit more on your own company's downfalls.

Thankyou.

• 2023 Gold Donors

That's about the most honest thing I've heard someone say from this forum and much appreciated. FINALLY someone who gets it. And let me clarify a few things.

Almost ALL cd's are priced between $9.99 and $12.99 - a fair price for a band who will probably see about $600 total in royalties (maybe more - it's all percentage based) - and actually cheaper than most cd-r's on cdbaby. CD-R or no cd-r , it costs money to make , from the graphic design , transfers (whether its from the original DAT tapes or a cassette) to the production to the marketing - not to mention the TIME involved. If I could burn these right off the office PC then yes , I can see maybe charging $5 but these cd's are all pressed in a factory and would never see the light of day unless Retrospect made the effort to take a risk on these artists.

I think most of you forget that when you pay $12 for a disc that most of that goes to the artist and that's why you should feel confident in purchasing from RR.

As far as the Poll, I only have 4 of these and voted for Mariah.

That said, here I go. Like Fat Freddy, Heaven & Hell and aMeatalhead1966, I have avoided all the Retrospect Records post's to stay away from the flame wars. I too totally understand Heaven & Hells comment about RR using cd-r's instead of silver cd's.

I actually took the time to look up all the prices listed on the RR website and this is how it breaks down.

9.99 - 9 cds

10.00 - 3 cds

11.99 - 18 cds

12.99 - 30 cds

13.99 - 22 cds

14.99 - 7 cds

15.00 - 2 cds

16.99 - 2 cds

18.00 - 3 cds

18.99 - 1 cd

20.00 - 2 cds

24.99 - 2 cds

25.00 - 4 cds

29.99 - 1 cd

30.00 - 1 cd

40.00 - 6 cds

2 of the releases actually stated they were sold out (congrats) and didn't show what the sale price was.

I spent a lot of time checking out the sound clips on the RR website and they have a lot of great releases. I think they are trying to bring a lot of great music out to us. I just have a hard time forking out the cash ($10-$13) for a cd-r, many of which only have 5-10 songs on them. I have purchased the RR silver cd releases (Mariah, Manila Thrills, XL New York, and StrikeForce) and love them all. They all sound great and have nice artwork and overall packaging. It seems like these are the only releases out of the RR library to get full blown treatment. I've heard about Defcon and Axtion being done on silver press and plan on picking them up to (any news when they're coming out?). What are the chance of other RR artists getting this treatment?

I actually picked up a couple of the cd-r's off ebay last summer and was shocked when I saw they were cd-r's. The auction description was misleading and left me to believe that I was getting a silver cd. The sound of the cd's was ok but the artwork and packaging was so-so. I didn't leave any bad feedback because I noticed that anyone who did leave a nuetral or negative feedback was the subject of some serious retaliation. I chalked it up as an ebay learning experience and moved on.

In response to your comment about cdbaby selling cd-r's. I buy from their site regularly and have never received a cd-r. I'm not saying they don't have any but I think cdbaby's overall ratio for selling silver cd's versus cd-r's is a lot higher than RR. It looks like 90% of the RR releases are cd-r. A lot of the $5 releases are actually silver cd's to. I've picked up dozens from there.

Perris releases cd-r's

:huhsign: Really???? I have tons of Perris releases and not one of them is a cd-r and I've never heard of any. I'd be curious to know which releases are on cd-r to avoid them. If you don't want to post it here, could you PM them to me?

Again, I hope this is not taken as an attack against Retrospect, it's not meant to be. It's just my opinion as a customer and what I would to love to see from the label.

Cheers :drink:

Another guy who I have respect for because he is HONEST and is not afraid to speak CONSTRUCTIVELY about Retrospect's format.

Thankyou , all of us here at RR appreciate it.

Axtion is already available to purchase and will be on the website this weekend.

More silver discs are in the works , now that we are signing bigger bands.

Just a note , any cd on the website that is priced at $15 or higher is most likely an original silver disc (other than Rock Boulevard , Friction , and Vyper , which are all about to be sold out.)

As far as Perris goes , I have received at least a dozen cd-r's from Perris , most notably some of the Pretty Boy Floyd discs.

Guest manicego

Okay, first off I'm not here to start ANY crap and, in fact, more than ANYONE I completely understand why someone wouldn't want to press 500/1000 CD's of a band that they "know" won't move enough units to warrant spending the money to press that many, but ....

>> "How many royalties did Sweet Teaze see??"

They would have seen a whole lot more than you've offered them had they OFFICIALLY signed with RR. <<

>> " Also the point that Heaven & Hell was making was that you don't mention it on your auctions that these bootlegs are CDR's!!"

Firstly , none are boots. <<

These two statements from "80'sMetalCollector" cancel each other out. I couldn't care less about this Sweet Teeze band personally but, are you saying that since they wouldn't "OFFICIALLY" sign with Retrospect you then made CD-R copies of their album/demos/whatever to sell out of spite? If so, then yes, this would be considered a bootlegged copy of that artist's work and is illegal. They didn't sign a contract wih you giving you their permission to duplicate/replicate their work yet you are doing so anyway.

And I do know of ONE other album on the Retrospect site that is being "bootlegged" ... the artist actually mentioned it to me the other day, in fact. Not gonna harp on it, though.

bootleg this and bootleg that - blah blah blah blah blah

NO BOOTS.

I've made my peace with Matt about the Sweet Teaze 'incident' - it's over.

HEY IDIOTS - THE METAL MAYHEM VERSION OF KEEL "THE RIGHT TO ROCK" IS A FUCKING BONAFIDE BOOTLEG!!

HOW MANY OF YOU OWN THAT IN YOUR COLLECTION?

I DON'T HEAR ANY OF YOU MENTIONING THAT!!!!

NOW STFU ALREADY.

This thread is about a poll.

Getting this thing back on topic...I've only heard 2 of Retrospect's releases (Defcon & Manila Thrills), & both are top notch. Everyone who frequents the board should do themselves a favor & pick them up.

How many royalties did Sweet Teaze see?? I could never be confident with Retrospect. Also the point that Heaven & Hell was making was that you don't mention it on your auctions that these bootlegs are CDR's!! That's not very honest, is it Sam?? How about some transparency?? And what gets up my goat the most, is that you're too gutless to even use your real name in these forums?? Using 80's Metal Collector, LUV KIX, etc.. and all these difference alias’s is so sly and un-professional.

Kind regards

Dave

Suncity Records

I have tried to refrain from posting recently in these threads... But:

If by "LUV KIX" you mean me.... once again you speak without knowing what you are talking about. I am not Sam and do not live in Las Vegas. As a matter of fact, I live over 2700 miles from Vegas. You really should (for once) try and get your facts straight before you open your mouth. I'm sure many who I have traded with would be happy to inform you that everything they have ever sent me went to the East Coast of tht United States... nowhere near Vegas.

* Congrats to Retrospect for all the new signings... some great ones on the way.

Kind regard

Dave

Not in Las Vegas

Can't we all just get along? :)

I see a bunch of people on here who are very passionate about this kind of music, yet you have trouble communicating it. Sad really...

JL

communicating what?

I think maybe he means that since there is such a small percentage of people who are passionate about our kind of music (compared to all the idiots out there who are into country, rap, etc...), you would think that we would be more supportive of each other instead of at each other's throats all the time.

communicating what?

I think maybe he means that since there is such a small percentage of people who are passionate about our kind of music (compared to all the idiots out there who are into country, rap, etc...), you would think that we would be more supportive of each other instead of at each other's throats all the time.

Yeah, what he said. :)

JL

communicating what?

Yeah, what he said. :)

JL

I agree with you all about getting along. It's a shame that everytime Retrospect is brought up it seems to turn into an argument. I feel like the argument in this thread might of been my fault. I was just saying that I understand both sides of the argument. I knew before I submitted that original post that I shouldn't do it and now it's caused a another day of arguments. I'm sorry if it was me that caused this, I was just giving my honest opinion.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.