What DVD's did you buy this week?

Dave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HITMAN (Unrated)--cool, stylishly-violent action movie...some nifty carnage-laden shootouts.

AVP: REQUIEM (Unrated)--saw the "censored" cut in theaters and thought it was just OK, but thought I'd give the unrated version a try, since it supposedly has additional blood, guts, and gore.

Do you ever watch...ahh...happy normal movies?

Hasn't your counsellor told you change your viewing habits yet?

Short answer...no. B) I once had an informal chat with the Chief Psychologist here at the prison where I work who said that I was drawn to dark, disturbing movies because my life is normal, relatively happy, and (for the most) peaceful and therefore I gravitated toward violent/bloody films as a form of escape.

Of course, I'm not sure how good a shrink he was, because his solution to everything--and this is no joke--was, "Go home and masturbate five times. You'll be so tired that nothing else will matter."

Turns out he was a liar...it only took four times.

i was having breakfast....turns out my breakfast wanted to come back up and sit on the plate again.

Without being a a pshychomalomajist, i reckon it could be your just an evil evil person...

Mike, I really didn't find it to be much better. Yes, additional blood/guts/gore is always an improvement in my book (they did add in one sweet decapitation scene), but the movie as a whole is still somewhat lacking. Not terrible, but they're still a long way from making a totally kickass Aliens-vs-Predator film. Frankly, if you didn't like the theatrical cut much, I don't see where this "uncensored" version is going to change your mind.

Hey Mark, how was the unrated version of AVP:Requiem? I heard there really wasn't that much difference...but wanted your opinion.......thanks, Mike.

AVP: REQUIEM (Unrated)--saw the "censored" cut in theaters and thought it was just OK, but thought I'd give the unrated version a try, since it supposedly has additional blood, guts, and gore. Haven't watched it yet though...

HITMAN (Unrated)--cool, stylishly-violent action movie...some nifty carnage-laden shootouts.

AVP: REQUIEM (Unrated)--saw the "censored" cut in theaters and thought it was just OK, but thought I'd give the unrated version a try, since it supposedly has additional blood, guts, and gore.

Short answer...no. B) I once had an informal chat with the Chief Psychologist here at the prison where I work who said that I was drawn to dark, disturbing movies because my life is normal, relatively happy, and (for the most) peaceful and therefore I gravitated toward violent/bloody films as a form of escape.

Of course, I'm not sure how good a shrink he was, because his solution to everything--and this is no joke--was, "Go home and masturbate five times. You'll be so tired that nothing else will matter."

Turns out he was a liar...it only took four times.

i was having breakfast....turns out my breakfast wanted to come back up and sit on the plate again.

Without being a a pshychomalomajist, i reckon it could be your just an evil evil person...

I reckon the psychologist was wrong too. Mark just likes these movies because he wants to kill people and likes watching these movies for ideas. I see it happen all the time.

On a serious note, I don't know how you do it, mate. I love a good horror flick as much as the next guy, but I NEED something different as regularly as possible. I remember once I watched nothing but horror movies all week and it was so shit... my state of mind was messed up and it wasn't cool. It was just depressing... plus the movies generally have one story line with a few frills and that kills me.

Anyway, I'm done. Glad to be of service. And all that said, as I said, I still love the movies and own a lot too... just not Mark's freakish obviously troubled amount. :P

Without being a a pshychomalomajist, I reckon it could be you're just an evil, evil person...

I reckon the psychologist was wrong too. Mark just likes these movies because he wants to kill people and likes watching these movies for ideas. I see it happen all the time.

On a serious note, I don't know how you do it, mate. I love a good horror flick as much as the next guy, but I NEED something different as regularly as possible. I remember once I watched nothing but horror movies all week and it was so shit...my state of mind was messed up and it wasn't cool. It was just depressing... plus the movies generally have one story line with a few frills and that kills me.

Anyway, I'm done. Glad to be of service. And all that said, as I said, I still love the movies and own a lot too...just not Mark's freakish obviously troubled amount. :P

The only people I want to kill are mimes, jaywalkers, and slow drivers...does this make me evil? (Cue the opening chords of Widowmaker's "Emaheevul.")

Frankly, I long ago stopped trying to "understand" or "justify" why I like violent movies. I know some folks, like dear ol' Geoff here, can be mentally affected by watching grisly cinema too much, but it's just never had that affect on me. It's a movie--I watch it, enjoy it, and move on with my day. It has no impact on my mood or feelings.

You know what I don't understand? Sitcoms. How can anyone enjoy those retarded shows? Horror to me is not watching 90 minutes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...it's having to watch 30 minutes of Two and a Half Men. :yikes:

Without being a a pshychomalomajist, I reckon it could be you're just an evil, evil person...

On a serious note, I don't know how you do it, mate. I love a good horror flick as much as the next guy, but I NEED something different as regularly as possible. I remember once I watched nothing but horror movies all week and it was so shit...my state of mind was messed up and it wasn't cool. It was just depressing... plus the movies generally have one story line with a few frills and that kills me.

Anyway, I'm done. Glad to be of service. And all that said, as I said, I still love the movies and own a lot too...just not Mark's freakish obviously troubled amount. :P

The only people I want to kill are mimes, jaywalkers, and slow drivers...does this make me evil? (Cue the opening chords of Widowmaker's "Emaheevul.")

Frankly, I long ago stopped trying to "understand" or "justify" why I like violent movies. I know some folks, like dear ol' Geoff here, can be mentally affected by watching grisly cinema too much, but it's just never had that affect on me. It's a movie--I watch it, enjoy it, and move on with my day. It has no impact on my mood or feelings.

You know what I don't understand? Sitcoms. How can anyone enjoy those retarded shows? Horror to me is not watching 90 minutes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...it's having to watch 30 minutes of Two and a Half Men. :yikes:

Okay, I'm curious now, mate. I'm not a huge fan of A LOT of sitcoms, but do you mean to say you like none? Not even 'Seinfeld'? Even 'Friends' in it's prime was pretty damn funny, I have to admit. I also enjoyed 'Ned and Stacy', 'Two Guys a girl and a pizza place', 'That 70's Show' and currently I think 'How I met your mother' is excellent. Sadly, that is possibly the complete list of the ones I do and have ever liked, and for every one there are at least 100 I despised.

But I'm losing focus. Just wondering what you watch for a laugh, mate? Do you like any comedy movies at all? Any non-sitcom comedies on TV? Don't be a stone, man.

Frankly, I long ago stopped trying to "understand" or "justify" why I like violent movies. It's a movie--I watch it, enjoy it, and move on with my day.

You know what I don't understand? Sitcoms. How can anyone enjoy those retarded shows? Horror to me is not watching 90 minutes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...it's having to watch 30 minutes of Two and a Half Men.

Okay, I'm curious now, mate. I'm not a huge fan of A LOT of sitcoms, but do you mean to say you like none? Not even 'Seinfeld'? Even 'Friends' in it's prime was pretty damn funny, I have to admit. I also enjoyed 'Ned and Stacy', 'Two Guys a girl and a pizza place', 'That 70's Show' and currently I think 'How I met your mother' is excellent. Sadly, that is possibly the complete list of the ones I do and have ever liked, and for every one there are at least 100 I despised.

But I'm losing focus. Just wondering what you watch for a laugh, mate? Do you like any comedy movies at all? Any non-sitcom comedies on TV? Don't be a stone, man.

Admit it, Geoff, your curiosity is not the only part of you that's aroused by me. ;)

OK, Seinfeld was mildly amusing at times and I often derived a chuckle or two from Friends, but that's pretty much it. Oh, wait, I am a big fan of Sledgehammer, a politically-incorrect 80s sitcom that only lasted 2 seasons. Even bought the box sets when they were finally released on DVD. Thankfully they had the wisdom to remove the laugh track...God, I hate those things. Like I'm so stoopid that I have to be told when to laugh.

As for movies...I own exactly 3 comedies: Clerks, Clerks II, Chasing Amy, and The 40 Year Old Virgin. In other words, for every 100 violent action/horror movies I own, I own one comedy film. Personally, I consider that a pretty respectable ratio. :tumbsup:

Frankly, I long ago stopped trying to "understand" or "justify" why I like violent movies. It's a movie--I watch it, enjoy it, and move on with my day.

You know what I don't understand? Sitcoms. How can anyone enjoy those retarded shows? Horror to me is not watching 90 minutes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...it's having to watch 30 minutes of Two and a Half Men.

Admit it, Geoff, your curiosity is not the only part of you that's aroused by me. ;)

OK, Seinfeld was mildly amusing at times and I often derived a chuckle or two from Friends, but that's pretty much it. Oh, wait, I am a big fan of Sledgehammer, a politically-incorrect 80s sitcom that only lasted 2 seasons. Even bought the box sets when they were finally released on DVD. Thankfully they had the wisdom to remove the laugh track...God, I hate those things. Like I'm so stoopid that I have to be told when to laugh.

As for movies...I own exactly 3 comedies: Clerks, Clerks II, Chasing Amy, and The 40 Year Old Virgin. In other words, for every 100 violent action/horror movies I own, I own one comedy film. Personally, I consider that a pretty respectable ratio. :tumbsup:

Cool, fair enough. I admit there is a lot to despise about the majority of sitcoms and the whole laugh track is the worst invention ever. I think one of the funniest shows I ever saw was 'Freak and Geeks', which only lasted one brilliant season. Funnily enough, a lot of the cast members from that show have ended up in all the current highly regarded comedies, like '40 Year Old Virgin' etc. I can't remember the rest. No soft spot for classics like 'Naked Gun' and that sort of stuff?

I've never really considered the ratio of films I own (Which is a lot). I guess I'd have about 70% horror, 20% comedy and maybe 10% randoms.

I own exactly 3 comedies: Clerks, Clerks II, Chasing Amy, and The 40 Year Old Virgin. In other words, for every 100 violent action/horror movies I own, I own one comedy film. Personally, I consider that a pretty respectable ratio. :tumbsup:

No soft spot for classics like 'Naked Gun' and that sort of stuff?

Naked Gun was OK. I'm a huge fan of the original Porky's. The first Police Academy was pretty funny too. The first time I watched Hot Shots! I laughed my ass off, but it hasn't held up so well. I also recently watched Superbad which had me cracking up. So, you see, it's not that I'm opposed to comedies and even like a few of them here and there, but my primary cinematic tastes are of the blood-and-guts variety.

• 3 weeks later...

FRONTIER(S)--slick & brutal French horror film directed by Xavier Gens (Hitman). Like so many horror films, it takes a bit longer than necessary to get going, but once the thieves reach the inn, things kick into high gear and rarely let up. Make no mistake, there's little here plot-wise you haven't seen before--creepy cannibalistic family feeds on wayward travelers--but the directing is several notches above par, and the violence factor is so extreme, the flick was originally slapped with an NC-17 rating. If you thought the achilles-slicing scene in Hostel was cringe-worthy, Frontier(s) takes that particular torture scene even further down the hardcore road. Frankly, I think every horror fan, at least those into the extreme violent stuff, owe it to themselves to at least give this a watch. Gunshot wounds, guttings, impalements, dismemberment, cranial explosions, and blood by the bucketful make this a red, wet offering for fans of such gory cinema. In other words, this is heartily recommended if you're sick in the head...like me. ;)

Latest acquisitions...

Azumi

Invisible Target

The Bodyguard (hysterical action/comedy from the creators of Ong Bak:Thai Warrior)

Undead (excellent action/zombie movie from Australia)

Latest acquisitions...

Azumi

Invisible Target

The Bodyguard (hysterical action/comedy from the creators of Ong Bak:Thai Warrior)

Where did you find such awesome foreign titles? :whistle:

Chris

Latest acquisitions...

Azumi

Invisible Target

Where did you find such awesome foreign titles? :whistle:

Chris

Traded some schmuck a couple of cheap-ass CDs for them. :crazy:

I've never seen the words 'excellent' and 'Australia' used in the same sentence to describe a movie from here. Although 'Wolf Creek' was kind of cool.

And I don't mean to bad-note my homeland - best country on the planet, imo - I just don't think I've ever seen a decent movie made here, aside from 'Wolf Creek', as noted.

And I don't mean to bad-note my homeland - best country on the planet, imo - I just don't think I've ever seen a decent movie made here, aside from 'Wolf Creek', as noted.

Don't be disrespecting Yahoo Serious' classic "YOUNG EINSTEIN" now, Geoff!!

I've never seen the words 'excellent' and 'Australia' used in the same sentence to describe a movie from here. Although 'Wolf Creek' was kind of cool.

I stand by my words--Undead is an excellent movie. That is, assuming you like action-oriented zombie films.

Wolf Creek pretty much falls into the overrated, overhyped category. Yeah, the whole "head on a stick" scene was a classic horror/torture moment, but the flick took waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to get moving and ended abruptly and unsatisfactorily. I've watched it twice and I don't forsee myself ever suffering through it again.

I stand by my words--Undead is an excellent movie. That is, assuming you like action-oriented zombie films.

Wolf Creek pretty much falls into the overrated, overhyped category. Yeah, the whole "head on a stick" scene was a classic horror/torture moment, but the flick took waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to get moving and ended abruptly and unsatisfactorily. I've watched it twice and I don't forsee myself ever suffering through it again.

Really? Wow, I'd have thought you'd like 'Wolf Creek'. Sure it's not rocket science - but what horror film is? - but I thought it was actually pretty decent for another in the long line of tired horror movie storylines. I try to stay as far away from zombie films as I can, though, so I might just leave this 'Undead' on to you, mate. Is it recent, or an old one?

What about The Castle?? :)