Poison - Native Tongue

pick  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

for me it is Ride Child Ride followed in a very close second by Theatre Of My Soul

Me too my friend! I love Ride Child Ride...great lyrics & just an over all good vibe. This is possibly Poison's best album....

JL

My vote went to "BSOATB", but very easily could have gone to half a dozen other songs. If this isn't my favorite Poison album, it's very easily 1.5. (It's hard to rate it second to anything else, as much as those other albums are more in my "style" of music.) About the only song I couldn't take was "Stand". (I was going to say "the only song I couldn't stand was "Stand, but that would have sounded silly.)

I also wasn't too crazy about this album when it came out, but I believe (for those of you old farts that have been here a while) that I've made clear my love for this record before. Just a pure slice of music satisfaction that I've always loved and will be somewhere in the rotation before too long again.

Oh my sweet christ, I cannot believe 'Stand has 3 votes. :P

Like HSF was going to say, 'Stand' is the only Poison song I cannot stand. I HATE that song.

I almost went 'Blind faith'... but at the last second veered towards 'Fire and ice'... then at the last second I went for 'Theatre of soul'. All those 3 songs are on the same level for me, but 'Theatre of soul' is just brilliant. Love this disc.

For me, the best songs on the album are track nos. 8, and then each song from 11 through 15..... from those, i went for "Blind Faith"....though i almost chose "Ride Child Ride".

I am one of those who is just beginning to really like the album... :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really a fan of this album (not even sure I own it anymore), but my vote went to "Seven Days Over You," the best of a not-so-great bunch of songs. Seriously, I think I would rather listen to "Hollyweird" than this bluesy misfire. :anon: (I can hear all your boos and hisses now and want you to know that while your caustic cut-downs wound me, my eyes shall remain free of tears.) :crying:

This is a difficult one, a lot of good stuff on this one, there's actually some pretty good songwriting here. I think on this one and crack a smile the band wrote real good songs, better than there classic stuff... Went with Fire and Ice...

Seriously, I think I would rather listen to "Hollyweird" than this bluesy misfire.

Wow mate, purely looking out for your best interests I'd have to advise you to take another listen. As our tastes are often quite similar I'd be really surprised if you didn't enjoy 'Theatre of soul', 'Fire and ice', 'Blind faith', 'Ride child ride' etc. How long since you heard it last? You'd prefer 'Hollyweird'? *shudder*

Seriously, I think I would rather listen to "Hollyweird" than this bluesy misfire.

Wow mate, purely looking out for your best interests I'd have to advise you to take another listen. As our tastes are often quite similar I'd be really surprised if you didn't enjoy 'Theatre of soul', 'Fire and ice', 'Blind faith', 'Ride child ride' etc. How long since you heard it last? You'd prefer 'Hollyweird'? *shudder*

I agree with you on this one Geoff. Native Tongue is so much better than Hollywierd.

Sorry, Geoff, but I can't listen to "Native Tongue" again because I jettisoned the CD in my last round of "cleaning house." For the record, I do not hate "Native Tongue," but I do not think it's their best work nor do I think it was the best way for the band to follow up the awesome "Flesh & Blood." I'm not saying "Hollyweird" is any kind of masterpiece, because it's not, but I don't despise it the way some Poison fans do. On this one, we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

While I know that, in general and even among Poison fans, Native Tongue might be the least popular of all Poison's releases, at a Butch Walker show recently, while discussing music in general, I found another fan who thought that, while not his favorite Poison album, NT was largely underrated as a release in general, not necessarily a Poison release as many fans seem to be unable to separate their love for the "Poison" sound and how much this didn't sound like Poison's typical output prior to the release of NT.

If you don't like bluesy rock in general, you certainly won't like NT. But, if you're a fan of all kinds of diversity in your rock and can step away from the fact that this album isn't Open Up II or Flesh & Blood II, this is a pure slab of bluesy rock w/ balls that I've loved ever since I stopped not loving it for being typical Poison.

Some people love it. Some don't. But it still remains a shining example of a big band's departure from their signature sound that was done 100% right.

While I know that, in general and even among Poison fans, Native Tongue might be the least popular of all Poison's releases, at a Butch Walker show recently, while discussing music in general, I found another fan who thought that, while not his favorite Poison album, NT was largely underrated as a release in general, not necessarily a Poison release as many fans seem to be unable to separate their love for the "Poison" sound and how much this didn't sound like Poison's typical output prior to the release of NT.

If you don't like bluesy rock in general, you certainly won't like NT. But, if you're a fan of all kinds of diversity in your rock and can step away from the fact that this album isn't Open Up II or Flesh & Blood II, this is a pure slab of bluesy rock w/ balls that I've loved ever since I stopped not loving it for being typical Poison.

Some people love it. Some don't. But it still remains a shining example of a big band's departure from their signature sound that was done 100% right.

:agree:

Native Tongue can never ever be accepted as one of Poison's album after establishing itself as a glam band with 3 albums & videos to support 'em. And they (Poison) have never had the reputation as great musicians (Brett himself admits that soooo many times). But with an album like Native Tongue, respect from critics is inevitable.

If another band released THE EXACT SAME album, it will definitely (at that time) received accolades of no end.

Bought the cd listened to it and went WTF and pretty much tossed it....zoom ahead a lot o years and I am ripping my Poison cds to my Ipod...driving around and have the pod on shuffle and I hear this great song....sounds familiar...but cannot quite place it...look at the pod and it is 'Until you suffer some Fire and Ice"....stopped the vehicle and flipped it to album listen....If this was not a Poison cd it would have been huge. Some stuff you need to come back for and take a blind taste test and you will be surprised what you like.

• 3 months later...

Almost didn't know how to act listening to a Poison Cd that produced quality and talent from the guitar section!!! I'll have to admit Poisons sub average green day comparible guitar work, I believe prevented a mid-card mainstream glam band, from moving into that upper category, where they wouldnt just be Poison(ha-ha-ha) Poison would have struck a more respected chord in metal conversations and history, in the mold of mabey, Baton Rouge, Southgang, Skid Row. etc. thats just how Ive always viewed it, and to recognize that this was Poisons Cellar Dwellar speaks highly of the listeners ear!!

• 4 years later...

I think "Native Tongue" is a very good but heavily underrated album. It has a couple of great tunes, good lyrics and Ritchie Kotzen fits very well, but I must admit that I had a negative impression at first spin. I think the main problem of the album is that the track order is WRONG. The best, heavier and catchy Poison songs are from track 8 and onwards, ie: "Strike Up The Band" (which IMO should have been the album opener), "7 Days Over You", "Blind Faith", "Ride Child Ride". My vote goes to "Strike Up The Band".

I had to go with Theatre of the soul as it is without a doubt one of the most underrated Poison ballads, and rock ballads for that matter, as so many people either never gave this album a chance or just didnt give it the credit it deserves.

As much as I am a fan of Devilles guitar sound (I dont give a shit if he is considered a poor guitarist, he has a unique sound and I fucking like it, so get over it) and think that Kotzen is a cunt (I met him, and he was a miserable ignorant wanker with delusions of grandeur), this is a great album.

I never understood Poison fans saying it sounded nothing like Poison etc, as it just sounds exactly like Poison.

Each album was a progression in sound and style over the previous album, and it certainly was not the huge style change over Flesh & blood that some people would try to paint this.

Stick the rock songs alongside previous rock songs, and you would barely tell the difference. Ditto with the ballads.

Songs from this album could easily have appeared on Flesh & Blood, and vice versa, and nobody would have said they were out of place.