Desperately Seeking a Barren Cross Song

I'm sure that most Barren Cross fans know that the STATE OF CONTROL album (1989) was released in two different versions, each with a different "bonus track." The version distributed to "secular" record stores featured the bonus track "Escape In The Night," which is on the CD that I own. However, the version distributed through the Christian book & music store network contained a song called "Your Love Gives." I have NEVER heard "Your Love Gives" and I was wondering if anybody out there could possibly hook me up with an MP3 of this song? Barren Cross is one of my favorite bands EVER (Christian or non) and I would love to finally hear this song and put an end to over fifteen years of searching. I have never come across a copy of the "Your Love Gives" CD in all my years of used-CD dumpster diving and on the rare occasion that a "Your Love Gives" copy of STATE OF CONTROL turns up on eBay, I always get outbid.

So please, any Barren Cross fans in the house, if you can hook a brutha up with this song, please shoot me a PM and maybe we can work out a trade of some sort. Thanks in advance!!

If this is the same Barren Cross song that im thinking about, My friend searched for years for it too, he finally got one from a christian booth at the swap meet 2 years ago, hell of a place to find it, now that's looking everywhere for it!!! i'll ask him to make me a copy and i'll email you the mp3,

SWEET dude! Thanks in advance. I have officially given up trying to find the original CD with that song on it... the album was reissued about a year ago but it was the version with "Esccape in the Night" on it, which is the one I already own... would've been nice if they tacked BOTH bonus tracks onto the reissue, but who am I to understand the ways of the music business?

Keep me posted dude, thanks for the reply

• 2 weeks later...

Well, folks, Leykis101 was as good as his word cuz he hooked this brutha up with the long-lost Barren Cross song "Your Love Gives" that I had been so desperately seeking. I guess you can consider this case "CLOSED!" A million thanks to Leykis101 for coming to the aid of a true metal brutha in need, and for finally ending a search that has gone on for WAY too long. You rock and if there's any tuneage I might be able to help you out with, you know where to find me!!

Well, folks, Leykis101 was as good as his word cuz he hooked this brutha up with the long-lost Barren Cross song "Your Love Gives" that I had been so desperately seeking. I guess you can consider this case "CLOSED!" A million thanks to Leykis101 for coming to the aid of a true metal brutha in need, and for finally ending a search that has gone on for WAY too long. You rock and if there's any tuneage I might be able to help you out with, you know where to find me!!

In a way, it's like spreading the word of God... ;)

Halle-LOO-yah, bruthas and sistas, the Barren Cross song has been FOUND! Can I get an AAAAAAAA-MEN? :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I had no idea there were two different versions of 'State Of Control' until just recently. I found the Benson/Enigma version with "Your Love Gives" in a used cd store in the religious section. Anyone have any idea which of the two versions might be more difficult to track down? In doing some research it appears that some versions that have the track "Your Love Gives" listed on the inserts actually contain the "Escape In The Night" track on the disc. Crazy stuff! Even though I already have the mp3 of "Escape In The Night", I'm going to keep a lookout for the other Enigma (secular) version just so I have both.

I had no idea there were two different versions of 'State Of Control' until just recently. I found the Benson/Enigma version with "Your Love Gives" in a used cd store in the religious section. Anyone have any idea which of the two versions might be more difficult to track down? In doing some research it appears that some versions that have the track "Your Love Gives" listed on the inserts actually contain the "Escape In The Night" track on the disc. Crazy stuff! Even though I already have the mp3 of "Escape In The Night", I'm going to keep a lookout for the other Enigma (secular) version just so I have both.

Good grief, Rick, you're bumpin' some ancient history here!! :lol:

I'm not an expert but it took me a hella long time to find a copy of EITHER version of "State of Control" on CD. :lol: I ended up with the "Escape in the Night" version which I would imagine would be the more "common" one. The "Your Love Gives" one was only distributed to the Christian book/music store market, which served a smaller demographic, whilst the one with "Escape" went out to many more "standard" or "regular" music outlets. If you scored a "Your Love Gives" version then you're a lucky man. :christmas:

Good grief, Rick, you're bumpin' some ancient history here!! :lol:

I'm not an expert but it took me a hella long time to find a copy of EITHER version of "State of Control" on CD. :lol: I ended up with the "Escape in the Night" version which I would imagine would be the more "common" one. The "Your Love Gives" one was only distributed to the Christian book/music store market, which served a smaller demographic, whilst the one with "Escape" went out to many more "standard" or "regular" music outlets. If you scored a "Your Love Gives" version then you're a lucky man. :christmas:

Haha yeah, it's only been about five years since anyone touched this thread. It's kind of strange but it seems like South Dakota was a hotbed for christian rock. I am always finding rare christian rock cd's every time I stop into any pawn shop or used cd store around here. And I'm sort of learning on the fly about many of these bands because I've never really been into the whole christian rock thing (even though I spent 6 years in catholic school :lol: ). I know there are two christian colleges in Sioux Falls so maybe that resulted in many of those bands coming into the area in the late 80s/early 90s but who knows.

It's kind of strange but it seems like South Dakota was a hotbed for christian rock. I am always finding rare christian rock cd's every time I stop into any pawn shop or used cd store around here.

Neat-O. If you ever happen to trip over another "Your Love Gives" copy of STATE OF CONTROL, or perhaps X-Sinner's GET IT and/or PEACE TREATY, could ya help a brotha out? :lol:

It's kind of strange but it seems like South Dakota was a hotbed for christian rock. I am always finding rare christian rock cd's every time I stop into any pawn shop or used cd store around here.

Neat-O. If you ever happen to trip over another "Your Love Gives" copy of STATE OF CONTROL, or perhaps X-Sinner's GET IT and/or PEACE TREATY, could ya help a brotha out? :lol:

Can do. Your gonna hate to hear this but I found my copy of X-Sinner's 'Peace Treaty' in a bargain bin for 50 cents a while back. I wasn't so lucky with 'Get It', I think I paid about $15 for that one, but again, both were found around here.

Can do. Your gonna hate to hear this but I found my copy of X-Sinner's 'Peace Treaty' in a bargain bin for 50 cents a while back. I wasn't so lucky with 'Get It', I think I paid about $15 for that one, but again, both were found around here.

Cool, man...you know where to find me if you ever get that lucky again. :lol:

I remember buying X-Sinner's "Peace Treaty" CD in NYC with Keith.. Man He gave Me a LOOK too... :whistle:

Yeah, ya bastid. :D You know the only reason I didn't beat you within an inch of your life and TAKE that CD on that fateful day was cuz I didn't own a CD player yet. :lol:

I remember buying X-Sinner's "Peace Treaty" CD in NYC with Keith.. Man He gave Me a LOOK too... :whistle:

Yeah, ya bastid. :D You know the only reason I didn't beat you within an inch of your life and TAKE that CD on that fateful day was cuz I didn't own a CD player yet. :lol:

Oh I know Bro.... :rofl2: Kinda like how upset I was when you got the LAST copy of Overkill's "Years of Decay" Cassette.. OR buying Metallica's "And Justice For All BEFORE I did.. So I think We are even... :tumbsup:

Interestingly, the version I have has the bonus track listed as Your love gives, and even has the lyrics to it in the insert, but the song is Escape in the night.

Its exactly the same with the version on Amazon UK, you can even download the track, and its labeled wrong on there as well.

Interestingly, the version I have has the bonus track listed as Your love gives, and even has the lyrics to it in the insert, but the song is Escape in the night.

Its exactly the same with the version on Amazon UK, you can even download the track, and its labeled wrong on there as well.

I mentioned that above. Seems like there are quite a few copies like yours floating around out there with the wrong track listed vs whats actually on the disc.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the comments above reminded me of Xsinners first album "Get It". That one had 2 versions also. One sold in christian book/music stores and one sold in secular stores. The blue cover with pics of the band members was sold in christian stores and the one sold in secular stores (very, very rare) was a red cover with no pics of the band members on it, just the logo. As for Barren Cross State of Control cd I have the one with "Escape in the night". The one with Escape in the night I believe was rarer back in the day before the reissue. Most people who bought it went to christians stores to get it. I used to see the Your love gives version everywhere. I used to have that one too. But I don't like having multiple copies of cds so I sold it. I prefer escape over your love gives. Oh bye the way. Heres a more confusing note. The cassettes had 10 songs only and each had 1 different track also based on place of sale (christian or secular). Like the cds I owned both of those also but have long since sold them.

Just an FYI Amazon.com has three sellers with the Barren Cross - State Of Control (original) for under $6.00. No idea which song they each contain ("Escape in the Night" or "Your Love Gives" or the mislabeled disc) though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00008EU8P/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1326207624&sr=1-10&condition=used

Reading the comments above reminded me of Xsinners first album "Get It". That one had 2 versions also. One sold in christian book/music stores and one sold in secular stores. The blue cover with pics of the band members was sold in christian stores and the one sold in secular stores (very, very rare) was a red cover with no pics of the band members on it, just the logo.

Great album, and I still kick myself on a regular basis for passing up a used copy of the "logo only" cover of that X-Sinner CD years 'n' years ago cuz at the time my cassette of the album was still in working shape. I have never laid eyes on another CD of it since then. :doh: