Sam has been caught out big-time

David

At least all the bands on David's label actually KNOW their stuff has been "reissued". So Mr LV, why don't we try to stay on topic here instead of trying to divert the attention elsewhere?  :drink:

I agree with T-BONE!

First of all, Matt Mathews is here on the board himself and clearly stated SAM has ripped them off -> http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=134593, so that, and the fact no one from Retrospect and crew had responded speakes volumes on the issue!

Also, the attempt on switching the attention to some poor private trader who had the misfortune to trade Sun City stuff to LV KIX, from a mass-bootlegger who produces hundreds of copies which sells for his own profit is nothing but hilarious!

I don't know who the person which traded LV the stuff is, but the comparison on this particular issue between him and Sam is like comparing apples to pears. 3-rd grade efford at best

Do you mean "effort"..? Speaking of third grade... :P

Again StormlessSpell.... you speak without understanding. If Dan is gonna come down on me for me having a copy of anything that is in print... then he should come down on those who supply. Some of you who stand up in here and act so moral are the same ones who have supplied me with "in print" material. Look in the mirror.

PS: I don't care what what Dan or most of you here think of me personally... I don't give a rats ass. Could it possibly be you StormlessSpell who supplied me with any of these...?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:offtopic: Let's get back on track with the thread at hand. So what happens now? A waiting game to see who else Sam screwed or screws over. I'm guessing the wait won't be long. :P

A little earlier on I noticed that a new member quickly peeped into this thread:

Hardrockingcollector

Now I wonder who that could have been ... ???

;)

Do you mean "effort"..?  Speaking of third grade... :P

Good one.

Provided I moved to USA 5 years ago and English isnt my first language, yes, I take all the blame for making typos and grammar mistakes. If this offends you too much, please feel free to write to me in Russian or Bulgarian - I'm more fluent on them than English for sure. I also manage to communicate in Macedonian, Czech, and Polish, so I can take the effort if it will suit you, take your pick.

Again StormlessSpell.... you speak without understanding. If Dan is gonna come down on me for me having a copy of anything that is in print... then he should come down on those who supply. Some of you who stand up in here and act so moral are the same ones who have supplied me with "in print" material. Look in the mirror.

Why sould I look in the mirror? I'm certainly NOT the one who traded you any sort of CDR. Nor I EVER traded any of the SunCity releases to anyone on that matter. I dont even own any of David's releases :).

Anyway, Dan came down on you post-factum in the context of your previous post. He didnt bash you for CDR trading in general, I think this is more than obvious. If not, ask him, he will explain himself better I can do with my broken English, yeah.

PS: I don't care what what Dan or most of you here think of me personally... I don't give a rats ass. Could it possibly be you StormlessSpell who supplied me with any of these...?

Dude, trying to tell I had traded you whatever CDRs is an utterly low and stupid lie! I'm in awe a person can go so low on this forum!

I'm expecting you to come out and apologize to me for blaming me for someting I havent done!

:offtopic: Let's get back on track with the thread at hand. So what happens now? A waiting game to see who else Sam screwed or screws over. I'm guessing the wait won't be long.  :P

Yes, I apologize, LV KIX managed to blow my fuse with his outrageous lie. I realize this is their only way to sabotage this thread, and will not let myself getting involved in such treachery again.

Do you mean "effort"..?  Speaking of third grade... :P

Good one.

Provided I moved to USA 5 years ago and English isnt my first language, yes, I take all the blame for making typos and grammar mistakes. If this offends you too much, please feel free to write to me in Russian or Bulgarian - I'm more fluent on them than English for sure. I also manage to communicate in Macedonian, Czech, and Polish, so I can take the effort if it will suit you, take your pick.

Why sould I look in the mirror? I'm certainly NOT the one who traded you any sort of CDR. Nor I EVER traded any of the SunCity releases to anyone on that matter. I dont even own any of David's releases :).

Anyway, Dan came down on you post-factum in the context of your previous post. He didnt bash you for CDR trading in general, I think this is more than obvious. If not, ask him, he will explain himself better I can do with my broken English, yeah.

Dude, trying to tell I had traded you whatever CDRs is an utterly low and stupid lie! I'm in awe a person can go so low on this forum!

I'm expecting you to come out and apologize to me for blaming me for someting I havent done!

Nothing personal against you Stormspell. Just so happens that my spelling was corrected in a post above... so I took this openning and ran with it. I could care less if everyone spells things correctly or not.

Secondly, I never said you did send me a CDR. Again just showing how members here can twist words. You are right, it may have looked like I implied that you were the one... truth be told many here do this same thing. As a matter of fact, I'll go on record as saying it wasn't you. Again, nothing personal if you were offended. And if it is an apology you want... consider this to be just that.

One thing I will not apoligize for are my opinions.... this isn't addressed toward Stormspell... but the board in general. And maybe I shouldn't have went off topic in this post... sorry if some feel it is off topic. I posted here because I believe it is not off topic. I 100% believe that David started this thread out of frustration... Frustration due to the fact that Retrospect has or will be releasing bands that Suncity was after. Business is business David.... if you make it too personal you will fail. Just as some say that Sams needs to act like a business owner... you too David should do the same. Sam apparently decided that he wasn't gonna play these little games with you here on the board. I'd just hate to see you lose sight of what you are (or should be) trying to accomplish. Just as Sam may have lost some customers for the way he handled things... you too may have lost some. With such a small number of releases... it doesn't seem you can afford to lose many. Before someone misconstrues anything... this is not an attack on you personally or any of the bands on your label. If you and Suncity are successful, more power to you. But don't take it personally when Retrospect or any other label offers more to an artist. I'm sure you would be the first to admitt... it's a business. Try to beat Retrospect by signing new bands... it will make you look better in the long run.

So again... Stormspell... I hope I straightened out things with you here. And David, good luck with future signings and the growth of Suncity.

Dave

David's timing on this original post is perfect. Seems like his latest attack on Retrospect coincides with a personal issue. Seems as though David bashes Retrospect whenever Retrospect one ups Suncity. It must be tough for Suncity to keep losing all the bands they want because Retrospect gives them a better deal. This original post was yet another attack because Retrospect just signed another band you wish you had. As a matter of fact, maybe you even thought you had this band. Too bad for your sake that Retrospect pays better. Let the people here know the truth David.... tell them just how many bands you lost to Retrospect and then tell them the reason why you keep losing the bands. Maybe instead of just attacking you should step up to the plate and pay a little more. Think you can beat Sam in the "business world"? Or since you know you can't you come here and whine. Some of the offers you have made to bands is an insult... that's why they go elsewhere... and that is why you have ... what 3 or 4 bands on your label.

Cheers

:drink:

Dave

You're way out of line LV KIX...Dave started this thread because Sam was bootlegging Sweet Teaze...not because he lost out on some band signing...& it looks like he was right on the money considering how quiet it's been over in the Retrospect camp (until you started posting). That plus the fact that one of the band members has posted on this issue as well? And the best you've got is to come back with "well, at least he has more bands signed to his lable"?...man, that's weak...plus, as T-Bone stated, totally off-topic.

You're way out of line LV KIX...Dave started this thread because Sam was bootlegging Sweet Teaze...not because he lost out on some band signing...& it looks like he was right on the money considering how quiet it's been over in the Retrospect camp (until you started posting).  That plus the fact that one of the band members has posted on this issue as well?  And the best you've got is to come back with "well, at least he has more bands signed to his lable"?...man, that's weak...plus, as T-Bone stated, totally off-topic.

That's your opinion... and you are entitled to it... and I can even respect it. But I am also entitled to mine... and I believe the original post was made out of frustration. So I do not feel I am out of line in having my opinion.

Another thing... I have not once defended Retrospect in this thread. just explained why I believe David made the original post. I could care less which company has more releases.

It must be tough for Suncity to keep losing all the bands they want because Retrospect gives them a better deal. This original post was yet another attack because Retrospect just signed another band you wish you had. As a matter of fact, maybe you even thought you had this band. Too bad for your sake that Retrospect pays better.

Just out of curiousity, can you list for us what bands have received Retrospect's 'better deal' and which have received the 'bootleg for nothing deal'.

It must be tough for Suncity to keep losing all the bands they want because Retrospect gives them a better deal. This original post was yet another attack because Retrospect just signed another band you wish you had. As a matter of fact, maybe you even thought you had this band. Too bad for your sake that Retrospect pays better.

Just out of curiousity, can you list for us what bands have received Retrospect's 'better deal' and which have received the 'bootleg for nothing deal'.

I could... but this will be public knowledge before too long. I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone here...so i'd rather the announcements be made by the actual record company. I don't feel at this time that it is my place to list the bands who got a better deal. The deals are between the artists and the labels.

Ok time to bestow the gift that is Jay's opinion on all of you. I have no ties or favorites here. Retrospect or Suncity. I hope they both do well. Hopefully, they also both do the right thing by their artists.

Here a re a few thoughts thought.

1) Whether David posted out of frustration or not, it is very obvious he saw the chance to knock Sam down the Indie label ladder a few rungs. Right or wrong, it very obviously was not purely informational. It wasn't for the sake of the music solely. There was an adjenda. The less dollars that go Sam's way, the more potentially that can go David's way. I won't knock him for posting as it is a business either way. It came off as dirty business though.

2) Sam has proven to do the right thing by some bands and apparently now there is proof he didn't do right by at least one band. People were starting to appreciate Retrospect despite all the "friends" Sam made here. This allegation is going to damage that reputation that was beginning to be a good one. I know Sam must be absolutely tired of the debate. I know I am. Sam, if there isn't anything for people to pick at, they can't pick. They can't fire a gun without amunition.

3)Dave. You came off as a prick in your first post in this thread. Not that it would matter much to you, but I was about to write you off as a total ass. You followed that post up with a classy post which clearly explained your thought process. Totally changed my mind. Again, I am not someone you need or care to impress. Just a thought on my part. Very classy follow up.

4)Stormspell. I don't know if it's a passion for the music or just needing to be involved, but you seem to constantly interject yourself into these sort of topics. I am not saying you don't have that right, but you sometimes come off as the finger pointing police. Like I said above, I am nobody to try to impress. My opinion is simply that. An opinion. I am sure I come off as the one who can't take anything seriously. All this being said, I dig that you speak so many languages.

Here's hoping no one was offended by my comments. This board is here for all topics. Funny, stupid, serious and anything else. I just can't believe that everyone else isn't tired of this whole issue.

1) Whether David posted out of frustration or not, it is very obvious he saw the chance to knock Sam down the Indie label ladder a few rungs. Right or wrong, it very obviously was not purely informational. It wasn't for the sake of the music solely. There was an adjenda. The less dollars that go Sam's way, the more potentially that can go David's way. I won't knock him for posting as it is a business either way. It came off as dirty business though.

Just for arguments sake, let's say that Dave did post this with malicious intent...hell, the opportunity was handed to him on a silver platter. He didn't tell Sam to bootleg the cd...Sam did that all by himself.

I would imagine that if Dave had chosen to keep his mouth shut about the whole thing, when it did come out from another source that Sweet Teaze was being bootlegged some people would wonder why the hell Dave hadn't posted the info to begin with since the band is signed to his lable. "Surely Dave knew what was going on" & so forth. Kinda caught between a rock and a hard place.

Either way, I'm sure Dave didn't lose any sleep over the revelation.

What what....nice job... :banana:

4)Stormspell. I don't know if it's a passion for the music or just needing to be involved, but you seem to constantly interject yourself into these sort of topics.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing it myself. It's certainly not that I want to be involved in such gruesome affair, that's for sure. Maybe its combination of stubborness, heat of the moment, and some stupidity I cannot ovecome... I know it would be better to stop and count to 10 before posting, but somehow I always fail to do that in this part of the forum... maybe I need to be baneed for my own good... :taz:

Just for arguments sake, let's say that Dave did post this with malicious intent...hell, the opportunity was handed to him on a silver platter. He didn't tell Sam to bootleg the cd...Sam did that all by himself.

I would imagine that if Dave had chosen to keep his mouth shut about the whole thing, when it did come out from another source that Sweet Teaze was being bootlegged some people would wonder why the hell Dave hadn't posted the info to begin with since the band is signed to his lable. "Surely Dave knew what was going on" & so forth. Kinda caught between a rock and a hard place.

Malicious was not a word I used. I didn't even blame him for doing it. I simply said it was not without adjenda. I also stated that it was a clear business move.

4)Stormspell. I don't know if it's a passion for the music or just needing to be involved, but you seem to constantly interject yourself into these sort of topics.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing it myself. It's certainly not that I want to be involved in such gruesome affair, that's for sure. Maybe its combination of stubborness, heat of the moment, and some stupidity I cannot ovecome... I know it would be better to stop and count to 10 before posting, but somehow I always fail to do that in this part of the forum... maybe I need to be baneed for my own good... :taz:

I did not mean to offend you in any way. I jumped Jacob's shit for the Horribly Wrong thead, so I am not above going off half cocked myself.

Malicious was not a word I used. I didn't even blame him for doing it. I simply said it was not without adjenda. I also stated that it was a clear business move.

You are correct, sir...that was my word, not yours. Didn't mean to imply that you used it. :)

Bottom line...I certainly don't fault Dave for sharing the info.

• Man, I really miss places like this! I could spend hours in them just looking at all the stuff. You’re a lucky man to live near there.
    • New album out June 28. Not my style per se, but well executed IMO.  
    • "Still in Love" and "Sweet Melody" by Lancia    
    • I posted about this record store (well, CD store really... it has a fair amount of vinyl, but the focus is CDs) 2 years ago. I go there about once a year, and every single time I do I keep kicking myself to go there more often. Not only for the sheer enjoyment of being able to shop the music genres we love and view all these releases in hand, but because it's so damned overwhelming. There's never time to go through things at leisure, pulling out boxes under racks to rummage, because even flying through things and NOT exploring new artists, it's still 3-4 hours to go through the alphabet... let alone stopping and using their listening station (they'll let you listen to used/opened material, not still sealed merch). It's only an hour and a half drive for me each way, so there's really ZERO excuse for me not going over there more frequently. This time I remembered to take a bunch of pictures, pulling out releases from artists we enjoy just to show what they had in stock... a lot of material you'll never see at any mainstream store (even if there is any that carry CDs anymore). Sure, the prices are more expensive than what you'll pay at Amazon and other online stores, but they're not as bad as you would think, and there are bargains to be had amongst the used material when it comes to OOP discs. And to be fair, being able to view all this stuff in-hand is worth it IMO. (Although every now and then you'll see an OOP disc that is WAAAAAAAY overpriced, but at least they have the odd and unusual.) They have one of those old-school "buyer club" stamp cards, with 20 spaces. One stamp per disc purchased. Every other stamp you get a dollar off, and when you fill a card you get $16.99 off your purchase and then you get a new card. On your birthday, you get $1 off every CD and that's on top of the buyer club card discounts. First the pics from when I was going through the aisles, starting with some general pics. Every single artist has its own title card, so look at the variety and depth of the artists. Also, look at the overstock in boxes underneath all the racks! That's the shit I never have time to go through (except when there's a specific artist I'm focusing in on). You've got CDs in the racks, then ringing the entire room is a shelf of box sets and limited editions, then above that VHS tapes, and above that vintage audio equipment. Sections for DVDs and blu-rays (not just music, but movies as well, including a small section of 4K and 3D titles). There's a smaller upper room level that is nothing but vinyl. If you're going to go, plan at least a full day, not just a quick drive-by. They're open from 11AM - 7PM Eastern Time.     Expensive at $249.99, but how many places have a still-sealed copy of the Vanden Plas Epic Works box set???     And now the stuff I picked up this trip. Most is completist fodder. There are a few artists where I literally want an example of every single pressing, even if I already have other label/year/country versions... call me OCD.               I picked up this one for trade/resale even though I already have it, as it is the LOOOONG out of print original fan club edition.     Hmmm... didn't know there was a solo effort, and it seems to be thematically related to the Threshold album "Legend of the Shires".       More OCD completist fodder. I didn't know that Avalon Records (Japan) licensed releases for South Korea.         Live albums aren't normally my thing, but this appears to be way out of print, and for $10 why not?   A few OOP releases for my multichannel audio collection       I'll be posting more about these once I get my shit together, but I'm WAAAAAAAAAY fucking late to the game when it comes to the Jethro Tull 40th anniversary CD + DVD special editions. They only reason I knew about them at all is that I saw a blurb about the 40th anniversary edition of "Broadsword and the Beast", which is my alltime favorite JT album, the first one I ever heard, and I love the album cover... which led me down the rabbithole of all these anniversary editions and their multichannel mixes. Unfortunately a few of them are now OOP and insanely in the $150-300 range. I ordered all of the ones that were still in print (or that had been reprinted), but there were still 4 that I needed... and they had one of them.   And lastly, the most expensive purchase of the day, going back to previous box set discussions, this was one that wasn't on my radar at the time it came out. Based upon eBay listings, it's now a tough find... and they had one still sealed. No, it's not the Amazon exclusive that was signed by Biff Byford, but autographs aren't important enough for me to spend the $500-$1,000 that the signed version now brings. This one will do nicely at a fraction of the cost... a huge and hefty tome (literally).   So when all was said and done, a great (and expensive!) shopping day, but a place I wholeheartedly recommend visiting should you find yourself out here in flyover country. JL Records 380 Brown St West Lafayette, IN 47906 https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100041894265953
    • What's this one mate? A guess at the previous riddle or a new one?
    • At the risk of sounding foolish once again... I don't get it.
    • Album out May 31 on Metalopolis Records. The last album was stellar.
    • Hey Now am I the winner again ??!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.