Manila Thrills Reissue

Malebolgia

Just got mine in the mail today, and I must say that this is a VERY well produced album! My hat is off to Michael Beck, the singer, for doing an utterly fantastic job at remixing this thing!!!

This is such a good release. What amazes me...is that even though it was released a long time ago, the new production sounds so damn good....as if it were cut like a brand new album. Very crisp and fresh sounding.!!!

I must say that they've done a fantastic job with the artwork as well. I'm impressed........

Oh....and the cd RAWKS!!! :kiss:

Now....after this reissue runs it's course....how about a BRAND NEW ALBUM!!!????? :bananamac:

OK, I have gone and ordered the Manila Thrills and the Mariah debut. But I have not been able to pay per PayPal via the Retrospect website as the shipping cost are set at 3$ per default.

I have paid directly on the PayPal site to the given email address incl the 4$ for shipping and made a comment as well referring to my order.

I just hope my order will not get lost now ... -_-

OK, I have gone and ordered the Manila Thrills and the Mariah debut. But I have not been able to pay per PayPal via the Retrospect website as the shipping cost are set at 3$ per default.

I have paid directly on the PayPal site to the given email address incl the 4$ for shipping and made a comment as well referring to my order.

I just hope my order will not get lost now ...  -_-

Hey Swazi,

I had to do this too, but they emailed me to say all was fine & told me when the discs were being shipped. You'll LOVE the Mariah CD, but should've picked up both albums as they're both great AOR....

Hey Swazi,

I had to do this too, but they emailed me to say all was fine & told me when the discs were being shipped. You'll LOVE the Mariah CD, but should've picked up both albums as they're both great AOR....

Good news, Tim, thanks ! Can you say how long this email took ??

personally after a quick listen i think the Mariah cd sounds better then Mailla Thrills. are the Mariah discs packaged the same way?

cheers!

I agree and was also wondering if the Mariah discs are as good a quality as the Manilla Thills one, as people seem impressed with that. But yeah, from the samples I'd have to say the sound quality was poorer, but IMO Mariah sounded like the better band. :D Still, I really want both... Defcon sounded f*cking awesome too.

personally after a quick listen i think the Mariah cd sounds better then Mailla Thrills. are the Mariah discs packaged the same way?

cheers!

I agree and was also wondering if the Mariah discs are as good a quality as the Manilla Thills one, as people seem impressed with that. But yeah, from the samples I'd have to say the sound quality was poorer, but IMO Mariah sounded like the better band. :D Still, I really want both... Defcon sounded f*cking awesome too.

i would really love to see images of other discs in the series just to see what they are like. and like geoff, i agree that shipping to australia is very decent.

Hey Swazi,

Good news, Tim, thanks ! Can you say how long this email took ??

I got no email whatsoever, but then in about a week, the CD showed up... :)

just lookin at the images of the cd and artwork it looks pretty good...

are the other releases in this series different to this? is anyone able to post images of any others?

can some please tell me ??? im interested in some from this series, if they are similar in quality to that of Manilla Thrills/....

In light of all the other problems Retrospect is facing, I feel SORT of guilty piling on, but I'd like an honest answer to this revelation, of sorts.

I've don't know that I've been a staunch supporter of Sam and RR, but, I've given them the benefit of the doubt and supported them by giving them my money for the Manilla Thrills disc, because it was "done the right way". After finally unloading my car player and bringing in the disc, I took a good look at it. When I looked closely at the disc, I noticed on the bottom of the disc, a different color. As I looked closer, I saw a distinct ring, like you see when you burn a CD-R at home. So, I checked in comparison with other "silver-pressed discs" and didn't see the ring. I looked at it in different lights. Still saw the same thing. Compared many times. Questioning whether I need to buy better lights or if my mind is playing tricks on me or if I indeed discovered something.

Anyway, my direct question to Retrospect Records (and whichever representative chooses to answer this question) is this: Is this indeed an "official silver-pressed CD" release or just a different type of CD-R, as it appears to be? And if it is indeed real, how come it looks so much different than all the other "official silver-pressed CD" releases I compared it to (having said "ring" from burning)?

Has/does anyone else see(n) this or is it just my paranoia? I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but, I would like to know if I was indeed the victim of a ruse or just the victim of my extreme paranoia once again.

Someone set my mind at ease, one way or another, please!

Just because you see a separate "ring" separating recorded material from blank space, this does NOT mean it is necessarily a CDR. In fact you will see a ring such as this on virtually any disc that does not take up all the space of the disc.

-Dan

I have silver Memorex CDR's at home that I use for recording stuff for the car and I can definately tell the difference between them and the real official released cd's bought from a store when I look at the bottoms. Yes, I can see rings, on both cd's, but the cdr's are usually more prominant

OK, thanks for setting the record straight. I had already put out a few feelers to people in the "biz" to try to get some "official" knowledge, but, thank you for the info.

That's why I didn't want to come across as accusatory, only questioning, because of my lack of knowledge about MOST things, I just thought I saw something and guess I let the previous thoughts about RR color my "findings".

I'll be interested to see how my "buds" crack on me for asking such a stupid question.

Thanks to the knowledgable folks here for helping me out!

(Honest, I wasn't trying to cause trouble. The last thing I want is to get banned203.gif.)

OK, thanks for setting the record straight.  I had already put out a few feelers to people in the "biz" to try to get some "official" knowledge, but, thank you for the info.

That's why I didn't want to come across as accusatory, only questioning, because of my lack of knowledge about MOST things, I just thought I saw something and guess I let the previous thoughts about RR color my "findings".

I'll be interested to see how my "buds" crack on me for asking such a stupid question.

Thanks to the knowledgable folks here for helping me out!

(Honest, I wasn't trying to cause trouble.  The last thing I want is to get banned203.gif.)

I understand Jay...no hard feelings here. :)

With all the stuff about Retrospect going around (especially the latest...Sweet Teaze scandal) I can understand why you would be skeptical. To be honest with you...I don't know what to think anymore. I do know for a fact that all the proper channels were followed in regards to the Manila Thrills release, so you don't have to worry about your purchase. Michael and his bandmates ARE getting their royalties. As far as any other band Sam is selling I can't vouch for them.

Rest assured that you haven't screwed anyone by buying Manila Thrills. I would NEVER have put all the info on this site about the reissue if I wasn't 100% sure it was legit. I consider all of you my friends, and I wouldn't screw my friends like that.

Scott

I understand Jay...no hard feelings here. :)

With all the stuff about Retrospect going around (especially the latest...Sweet Teaze scandal) I can understand why you would be skeptical. To be honest with you...I don't know what to think anymore. I do know for a fact that all the proper channels were followed in regards to the Manila Thrills release, so you don't have to worry about your purchase. Michael and his bandmates ARE getting their royalties. As far as any other band Sam is selling I can't vouch for them.

Rest assured that you haven't screwed anyone by buying Manila Thrills. I would NEVER have put all the info on this site about the reissue if I wasn't 100% sure it was legit. I consider all of you my friends, and I wouldn't screw my friends like that.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I appreciate your words. Especially because you are right; I don't know what to think anymore.

I just hope I will still receive my Manila Thrills and my Mariah from RR !!! <_<

Swazi - Waiting for mine aswell. Got an email to say they had been shipped. I got the Defcon with no probs, so I wouldn't worry!!!

Mine arrived yesterday ! :dance:

Dan is right, you will always see a ring if the disc is not completely full. I'm surprised at the amount of CDs I've gotten lately that have a swirly effect on the silver side, Phantom Park was one that has all kinds of swirl marks on it (mine did anyway). Anyone know what that is caused by (sorry, this is kind of off topic here).

Just because you see a separate "ring" separating recorded material from blank space, this does NOT mean it is necessarily a CDR. In fact you will see a ring such as this on virtually any disc that does not take up all the space of the disc.

-Dan

Dan is right, you will always see a ring if the disc is not completely full.  I'm surprised at the amount of CDs I've gotten lately that have a swirly effect on the silver side, Phantom Park was one that has all kinds of swirl marks on it (mine did anyway).  Anyone know what that is caused by (sorry, this is kind of off topic here).

-Dan

You see the "swirly" effect a lot on lower-grade manufactured discs. This is very common on pressed boots coming out of Russia. I don't know if the manufacturers use a lower-grade plastic or what...

-Dan

You see the "swirly" effect a lot on lower-grade manufactured discs. This is very common on pressed boots coming out of Russia. I don't know if the manufacturers use a lower-grade plastic or what...

I was told this effect happens when the manufacturer doesnt use only pure "virgin" plastic, but mixes old scraps that has been once melted with the new mold.

Some of the low grade Russian bootlegs shows it, but the most prominent "swirling" examples are on the Greek bootlegs in my opinion.

Just to be clear, swirling should not be considered a proof the CD is bootleg. It only shows that the manufacturer was "savvy" and re-used old plastic scraps.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rocknroll

Manilla Thrills ROCKS from start to finish just like the rest check out Defcon, Wicked Teaze,Mariah WOW what a bunch of melodic unknowns finally pressed on cd .Must I add Rock BLVD !!!!!!!!!

Kicker Of RocknRoll :band:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.