Retrospect... what do people really think?

glam_junkie

What is your opinion on Retrospect Records?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the other Kidd Wickedd post and it's kept me interested, so I've voted null here and will see what comes of this thread too... just pray it doesn't turn into another :popcorn: for the sake of my work :lol:

In all honesty, I have had no dealing with the label and have nothing to say on the subject matter as I know NOTHING about it. I wish I still had money to buy CDs, but plain and simply I don't. I must admit I've never even looked at the CDs available, but heard some great names dropped, but is the price really around $40? I must admit I've never paid more than usd15.00 for a CD and even if I had money to spend I still wouldn't.

But yeah, basically I have no thoughts on this but am still interested as a fan of the genre. :)

I agree with the 2nd & 3rd statements. I think it's great this stuff is getting to see the light of day, & my experiences have been very positive. I though the artwork on the FRICTION disc was pretty poor, but as time goes on then I guess these issues will be fixed.

Sam is clearly trying to establish his label & is now getting the bands involved, so I don't see why we shouldn't all support that. I DO wish he'd be a bit more humble when people make suggestions (such as Dan suggesting improvements to his printing process, etc) as he has a big market for his product on this site - & I'd love to see him still visit here. Otherwise is great to see this stuff getting released IMO.

I agree with the 2nd & 3rd statements.  I think it's great this stuff is getting to see the light of day, & my experiences have been very positive.  I though the artwork on the FRICTION disc was pretty poor, but as time goes on then I guess these issues will be fixed.

Sam is clearly trying to establish his label & is now getting the bands involved, so I don't see why we shouldn't all support that.  I DO wish he'd be a bit more humble when people make suggestions (such as Dan suggesting improvements to his printing process, etc) as he has a big market for his product on this site - & I'd love to see him still visit here.  Otherwise is great to see this stuff getting released IMO.

:agree: Nuff said !

My only dealing was with the Defcon disc from Retrospect. No problems at all with the product, although the Artwork is rather shall we say minimal.

I Would go with 3 as it's good to see the music being avaliable, although as a musician would like to see everyone getting what they should (although I doubt many do with most labels)

That being said, I expect a quality product when I shell out my hard earned and would not expect to pay $30+ for a cd-r. I paid $17 for the Defcon which was reasonable, but definately no more.

As long as Sam is paying everyone what he should be, and the product is reasonablty priced and of good quality then I haven't got a problem at all

I bought the Bittersweet - Loaded Up from them as I wanted to hear what they were like.

No worries it was cheap n cheerful, as long as it's kosher and the bands are getting their cut I'd have no qualms with buying from them again at some point if there was something I was interested in. Although I'm not big on CDR's if the stuff your after is no longer available / was never freely available and the bands are involved then what's the problem? Nice to see them get some form of release.

Plenty of young/new bands when you pick up their CD's at gigs only sell CDR's anyway so where's the difference?

Let me just state for the record that I have had very little dealings with Sam directly, so all I can attest to is what others have told me.

First of all, I have purchased 3 discs from Sam. As mentioned above, other than the artwork being a tad bland the overall products were excellent.

As I'm sure most (if not all) of you are aware I have been talking with Michael Beck for several months now. He was the singer for Manila Thrills. Sam is reissuing this disc for Michael. Should be out this week as a matter of fact.

Michael has told me that everything that was done by Sam was very professional. Sam contacted Michael, drew up a legal contract, and even agreed to put the Manila Thrills release on silver pressed discs per Michaels request.

Michael has said that Sam has taken good care of him and his bandmates, and that he has faith in Sam as a businessman, and faith in the final product.

So it seems like the whole legal thing is on the level. Now, if Sam puts out a quality product with this reissue then we have definitive proof of Sam's dealings being on the level in at least one instance.

I for one don't know Sam or what he has done in the past (if anything), but if the MT release is a finely done reissue then Sam has won me as a customer for life.

I'm believing the final MT product will be up to par with Metal Mayhem, and SunCity releases. If not...well then Sam will have lost me as a customer. Not because of my opinion of him, but because of the final product he puts out.

I guess we'll find out here in a few days.

M.

I bought the Bittersweet - Loaded Up from them as I wanted to hear what they were like.

Whoops! I tell a lie! I also have this one (didn't know it was from Retrospect). Yeah I got this one upon it's release back when I had cash and it was great value - 2 unheard discs for $15, decent artwork - that I can live with. I just got off my lazy ass and had a look at the site and all I can say about the releases is HOLY SHITBALLS - it's like a menu of the discs I have always wanted to own, but I just don't have the money for it unfortunately.

And I don't want to cause trouble because I'm a peaceful man, but in my mind the idea of a re-issue is so people can get impossible to find releases readily available... but also at an affordable price. I have to admit that at usd$40, in any financial light, I would still not dream of buying the legit original copies of these CDs, let alone a re-issue. So I guess if I voted I'd have gone for the option that I would buy if they were affordable because for the average CD purchaser I still think usd30-40 (usd20 in my case) is way too pricey. As I said, never gone above usd15 and don't think I would.

Just my thoughts. :drink:

I enjoy reading the soap opera that it has become. I could care less really. I did purchase Donatello from Sam. I was happy with it. Got it cheap and it sounds good. Plus the bands get a few bucks. Win/Win for me. :)

• 2023 Gold Donors

I voted for "I would buy if prices were acceptable and discs were silver pressed". I'm all for his efforts to release some great rare music.

I did end up getting two of his cd's off ebay (before I came to this forum and found out that they were cd-r's). I just wasn't all that impressed with the quality of the artwork and labeling of the cd's.

If he starts doing them on silver discs with better artwork and makes the prices a little more affordable, I'll definately buy a bunch of them.

Well I'm not a collector I just like listening to the bands, dont care about the artwork much either so I could really care less if the disc is silver pressed or on CD-R, if the bands know about it and are getting some kind of royalities for it where is the harm?

Read that whole Kid Wikkid thread WOW that was 20 minutes of my life wasted :lame:

If the guy has his own label be it only through a website or Ebay whats wrong with that, hell I congratulate him on his success for having the guts to try. If the bands know about their reissues then there shouldn't be a problem. If they don't then legal actions should be taken and then nobody should bitch about it if in fact he isn't legit.

Have discovered a lot of great bands through this website but for me I'm gonna stay away from these kinds of threads its just Too High School for me sorry.

Edited by BlacknBlue1979

As a collector, I always prefer silver-pressed CDs. CDRs are to CDs what cubic zirconia is to diamonds. That said, the most important thing is the music, and as long as everything is legit, kudos to whoever makes unreleased albums available. Like everyone else around here, I am not a fan of Sam's (past?) juvenile behavior, but I freely admit I'm thinking about buying Shake City and Roxy Lane because the samples sounded pretty good.

Frankly, I find 90% of the bands on Retrospect Records absolutely terrible. I can see why many of these groups never got signed. That's not a reflection on Sam or his label, it's a comment about the quality of the bands themselves.

So, do I wish Sam silver-pressed his CDs? Yes. Do I think he could do a better job of running his label? Yes. Do I think he has a few things to learn about professionalism? Yes. Will I ever purchase any Retrospect Records releases? Maybe.

Of course, as always, just my two cents' worth.

Keep the faith.

Mark

ive never really had any interest in in this retrospect argument as i knew nothing about it.... i finally had a look at their site....

two things to me stood out straight away.... "Boss - step on it" has been released by Retrospect on cd form (i have the vinyl and had never ever heard of a cd release till now) and "XL - rock all over you" has been rereleased.....(iheard something about it ages ago but people are still paying big bucks for the original)

can someone explain?? not wishing to cause a fight, just wondering.... do the bands actually know??

I've said it before, but I'll say it again... I don't know why Sam continues to use green or blue-backed CD-R's?

He's got some DAMN-NICE titles that I would like to add to my collection, but I can needle-drop a CD-R and make sub-par quality inserts myself for mear pennies.

Mercury Records doesn't release Def Leppard on CD-R... Retrospect shouldn't release BOSS on CD-R.

Use silver-backed discs and a professional-grade printer and I'll jump on that train as quick as anyone!

A lousy 4% are totally satisfied. In another HH poll a higher percentage of people believe having oral sex with somebody else is not cheating on your partner. :blink: If I was the boss of a company, I would listen to the people and make some changes. 25% would buy if silver pressed. Imagine 25% increase in sales, isn't that worth it? 37% will never buy, OUCH!!! Don't forget this the fickle and the jealous, so nevermind them. I know only 52 people voted, but do these numbers tell the truth or is it simply to be ignored?

so about a dozen will buy more? wow , that'll really help Sam fork out the additional $1000 it takes for silver discs. Let's see... $20,000 for 20 silver cd's or $20,000 for 80 test pressings? Seems like a simple answer. A $250 risk is easier to swallow than a $1250 risk , wouldn't you say? Or maybe you guys just can't figure that out.

See , it doesn't really matter what 25% of 50 people on H.H. think. It's the hundreds of others who buy from RR/VegasCds on a monthly basis who matter. You think he's able to release over 20 cd's a month because he's LOSING money?

And if you think Sam is going to press 1,000 units of a 4-song Uzi Suite ep (for example) then you're smokin crack.

XL is an original silver cd as are a few others on the site. Nothing 're-issued' about it.

I have the Rock Boulevard CD and was not impressed by the quality at all so I voted:

Not my thing. I choose not to buy, but others can do as they please.

"Use silver-backed discs and a professional-grade printer and I'll jump on that train as quick as anyone!"

Professional-Grade Printer? You think Sam has these cd's done in the basement on a PC?

Fair enough , a few of the covers didn't come out as nice as he hoped , but there's no way of telling how it will come out BEFORE going to press.

• 2023 Gold Donors
XL is an original silver cd as are a few others on the site.  Nothing 're-issued' about it.

Anyway of getting a list of what he actually has on silver cd's. I'd be interested in purchasing some them, especially XL. I thought it was a cd-r, so I stayed away from it.

XL is an original silver cd as are a few others on the site.  Nothing 're-issued' about it.

Anyway of getting a list of what he actually has on silver cd's. I'd be interested in purchasing some them, especially XL. I thought it was a cd-r, so I stayed away from it.

try emailing him from the website

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.