Wounded Bird Records

Nostromo

*sigh*

80sMetalCollector, I know you don't care dick for my opinion, but as a Retrospect employee and "official spokesperson" here for Retrospect, you might want to think about how taking open-handed swipes at other record labels reflects on Retrospect's image with respect to professionalism.

Just a suggestion...

-Dan

Dan , have you talked to any of the bands that have been shafted by Ryan?

Raquel? Snakeryder? Seven Hours Later (aka Tainted Angel)? Seven Ten?

The list goes on...

If you had any conversations with these artists you'll know how Ryan AND Mario at MTM is pulling a Z RECORDS on these guys....and here's ultimately the problem....after going thru the 'shafting' of labels like MTM , SPV , MM , Z Records etc... , the bands are very hesitant to sign with another indie , be it Retrospect , Sun City , Perris , Rock Candy.....whatever.

If the dirty laundry was aired out in this forum , many people would be disgusted with certain 'labelowners' actions.

But everyone thinks I am here JUST to talk shit about the 'other' guys when that is totally not the case. Who is on the side of the musicians here? Who is going to finally tell the truth about how the industry fucks them? The whole Z Records scandal came to light only because the bands FINALLY got together and did something about it. Well , there are more coming....make no mistake.

Is it MY place to talk about those 'other' labels?

Well , it seems perfectly justified since nobody cares about the on-going bash-fest on Retrospect by the detractors who DON'T KNOW what goes on behind the scenes and do not have the facts.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has no obligation to give them anything!

He has had to pay a lot of money to get those rights,money the bands wont pay to get the rights themselves,so what is his motive to give out even more money?

In an ideal world he would give them money,but the record business is not an ideal world!

Howdy , I think you're missing my point. They are not calling wanting money. They are calling because they would like to work with the label in promoting the album. When they get an asshole on the other end of the line , that is completely uncalled for.

Why would the wanna promote something they dont get any money from?

Of course they want money!

Man , I don't know if you're a few fries short of a happy meal or what but you are totally off-base on this issue.

The bottom line is that the guy who runs WB is an ass and should be a LOT more humble when dealing with artists HE FUCKING REPRESENTS!!!

Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

He is not representing them.

They are not signed to him.

Why can you not understand that?

I am not saying he should not be civil,but at least get your facts straight & stop with the imature insults!

Yes,thats right!

As I have already stated,I have made no comments as to what Retrospect is or isnt doing as I have no inside info on it.

What I do know is that you feel that Retrospect has been wronged here,and its not right that the label should be bad mouthed,yet your defence is to bad mouth other labels who have absolutely nothing to do with the posts here.

You agree that the artists do not own the material that Wounded Bird has reissued,then say that the label is representing them.

The label is selling their material,not representing them.

If the guy wants to be rude,thats his lookout,but your initial venom towards the label had nothing to do with that,you said they were ripping them off.

Sorry,but if Wounded Bird is ripping off the artists then you might as well say that about every single big record label,not single out a handful of smaller ones.

We all know what Z records did,and yes it sucked,but once again it has little or nothing to do with the issues that you are supposed to be defending Retrospect over.

If you continue to bash other labels,it does Retrospects image no good.

What did Wounded Bird post here that makes you single them out?

If you wanna bad mouth posters here,go for it,they can quite happily defend themselves,but please stop using negative responses about labels who are not here to defend themselves.

It's an open forum and I have right to tell the facts about other labels when the nay-sayers are too ready to bash Retrospect in every way imaginable.

The bottom line is that the biggest issue here is the cd-r thing. Well , tell that to the hundreds of bands selling their cd-r's for $10+ on CDBaby.

As far as WB goes , there is NO excuse for treating bands that he has on his label like shit. NONE. And nothing you will ever say will justify that.

That would be like Sam licensing the Herman ze German album (which he actually has) and then telling Herman Rarebell to take a hike.

That's no way to treat people you are representing.

It's an open forum and I have right to tell the facts about other labels when the nay-sayers are too ready to bash Retrospect in every way imaginable.

The bottom line is that the biggest issue here is the cd-r thing.  Well , tell that to the hundreds of bands selling their cd-r's for $10+ on CDBaby.

Oh phleeze, dont tell me you can't see the difference between a band selling their own-made product and collecting all the profit, and LABEL which presses CDRs, gives buck to the band and pockets all the rest?

Not that I ever care how much you earn - not my business, but to pretend you cannot see the difference is lame, sorry.

The bottom line is that the biggest issue here is the cd-r thing.  Well , tell that to the hundreds of bands selling their cd-r's for $10+ on CDBaby. 

As far as WB goes , there is NO excuse for treating bands that he has on his label like shit.  NONE. And nothing you will ever say will justify that.

That would be like Sam licensing the Herman ze German album (which he actually has) and then telling Herman Rarebell to take a hike.

That's no way to treat people you are representing.

Who has he licensed the Rarebell CD from?

If its from the label,then good on him for working with Herman,as he doesnt have to.

If its from Herman,then he can hardly tell him to take a hike can he!

As for bands selling CDRs on CDBaby,thats completely different.

Thats bands selling their own CDs,they are not record labels!

Oh phleeze, dont tell me you can't see the difference between a band selling their own-made product and collecting all the profit, and LABEL which presses CDRs, gives buck to the band and pockets all the rest?

Not that I ever care how much you earn - not my business, but to pretend you cannot see the difference is lame, sorry.

The only thing thats lame is your Russian idiocy. And if you think the band only earns $1 from every sale of a Retrospect disc then it shows your ignorance even more. If that's the way you plan to run your label then you'll be out of business before you even start. No , Mr Russian , Retrospect pays more to the artist than ANY other label in the world , you can take that to the bank. Which is also why Retrospect continues to get emails every day from bands wanting to get a licensing deal. Word gets around fast that a label actually pays more than $4 per disc for a sale. But I don't expect you to understand that Stormy , since you have a LOT to learn about this side of the biz.

There is only ONE difference between a band releasing their own cd-r's and a label releasing its own cd-r's....the fact that the label has major distribution , a massive customer base from website and ebay , and knows exactly how and where to market the product.

Retrospect had close to 100,000 hits last month alone. When your website can compete with that , then you'll earn some respect Stormy , til then you ought to keep your mouth shut and your snooty comments to yourself. I know where you stand and quite honestly you can STFU anytime.

Hahaha, I was actually citing you on that $1 thingy, but you flip-flop so much around you forgot you mentioned it yourself already :P:butt:

"Major distribution"? Says who? The "famous" one-cd-on-eBay-every-5-days-for-the-market-to-jack-up-the-price distributor that has every 2-nd bidder in his block list :P

That's one of a hell major distribution, alright. :bananamac:

Hahaha, I was actually citing you on that $1 thingy, but you flip-flop so much around you forgot you mentioned it yourself already  :P  :butt:

"Major distribution"? Says who? The "famous" one-cd-on-eBay-every-5-days-for-the-market-to-jack-up-the-price distributor that has every 2-nd bidder in his block list  :P

That's one of a hell major distribution, alright.  :bananamac:

Either you're blind or just stupid Stormy. Did you not read the Press release? Retrospect is now being carried by distributors in 8 different countries.

Every 2nd bidder blocked? Right , that's why the ebay thing isn't working right?

Moron.

Your jealousy shines through once again.

Weren't you asked to quit being little Sammy's mouthpiece? If you and Sam could care less about our thoughts here on this board, why are you still here? Obviously you're lying, or you're just too braindead to walk away. Notice how the other thread about Kidd Wikkid got quiet when you stopped posting? Maybe you should take that as a hint and just quit posting about Retrospect or their dealings. The more you talk/type, the bigger hole you dig and the more attention you draw to yourself. If you're going to shit in the pool, quit complaining about the smell.

Funny... how is the royalty rate $4 a disc when I got an email from Burt earlier this week, that quoted Sam stating the bands got $2.50 a disc? Something doesn't add up here. I mean, you sell a CD for $30, for example (which seems par for the course in Retrospect's world, which are set at 2034 prices, but oh well). The band gets $2.50 of $30. That's 8%. Hmmm.. if the band got $1 on a properly priced $11 disc on Wounded Bird (for example), it would STILL be a higher royalty rate (9%) than what they're getting now.

Looks like Sam is sticking it to the bands just as hard as he's sticking it to collectors. Every time I go to Retrospect Records and see the words "under new management" at the top of the page... I keep hoping the business has changed hands yet again, and Sam has sold it to someone more ethical.

Hahaha, I was actually citing you on that $1 thingy, but you flip-flop so much around you forgot you mentioned it yourself already  :P  :butt:

That's true...you flip flop around sooo much on your stand, that you resemble Sam. So much in fact, that I'd say you ARE him or you're sitting on his lap right now as you type. Same reasoning power (or lack there-of), same vulgar disposition, same attitude problem,......... Makes one think......... <_<

Retrospect had close to 100,000 hits last month alone.

Thats really not very much, but it takes awhile for a website to grow.

Skid is right. By way of comparison, currently Heavy Harmonies gets 200,000 hits PER DAY. Also, "hits" is a very poor metric to use, as it doesn't reflect anything. For example, when a web page is loaded, the HTML counts as a "hit", any linked CSS or JavaScript files count as "hits", as does every linked image.

You want to use "pages served" and unique visits; the combination of those two metrics are more indicative of traffic...

Whatever happened to Bob Dolan (I think that was his name) that used to run Restrospect?  He released one of the best albums of last year and then seemed to disappear.

Joe Dolan actually. He sold the label to Sam.

The hits thing is missleading. I have visited out of curiosity Retrospect a few times, as probably many other HH members have. I bet you not too many buy.

200,000 a day Dan. Sweet! Only a few million more and you'll catch up to Jenna Jameson's site :tits:

Funny... how is the royalty rate $4 a disc when I got an email from Burt earlier this week, that quoted Sam stating the bands got $2.50 a disc? Something doesn't add up here. I mean, you sell a CD for $30, for example (which seems par for the course in Retrospect's world, which are set at 2034 prices, but oh well). The band gets $2.50 of $30. That's 8%. Hmmm.. if the band got $1 on a properly priced $11 disc on Wounded Bird (for example), it would STILL be a higher royalty rate (9%) than what they're getting now.

Looks like Sam is sticking it to the bands just as hard as he's sticking it to collectors. Every time I go to Retrospect Records and see the words "under new management" at the top of the page... I keep hoping the business has changed hands yet again, and Sam has sold it to someone more ethical.

HAHA , yeh Burt knows how Retrospect is run doesn't he? He's a REAL reliable source - HAHA $2.50 a disc? What the fuck? Burt has no idea what the hell he's talking about. Maybe you should ask the bands that are on the label how much their contracts are for instead of listening to an underhanded hula like Burt.

See , this is the type of bullshit that flies around that needs to end , but no , you little 3rd graders think you know the facts and you know shit. This is why Sam won't post here , because of these moronic comments made by the same idiots over and over and over.

Tony , you are a real class ass , and once you get it through your numbskull once and for all that RR will be around for a LONG time , you are just going to sound more and more like an envious schoolkid.

Now go smell the shit in your own backyard and stop stinking up this forum....oh and fix your ebay feedback.

Weren't you asked to uit being little Sammy's mouthpiece? If you and Sam could care less about our thoughts here on this board, why are you still here? Obviously you're lying, or you're just too braindead to walk away. Notice how the other thread about Kidd Wikkid got quiet when you stopped posting? Maybe you should take that as a hint and just quit posting about Retrospect or their dealings. The more you talk/type, the bigger hole you dig and the more attention you draw to yourself. If you're going to shit in the pool, quit complaining about the smell.

The attention is great. Over $2000 this week in sales alone - thanks.

Oh , and you may not think 100,000 hits is very much but even at Joe's height , he was only getting 30,000 hits a month so for Sam to triple that in 5 months is to be commended.

Retrospect pays more to the artist than ANY other label in the world , you can take that to the bank. 

Ok,so how many multi million dollar contracts has he signed then?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.