Wounded Bird Records

Nostromo

So  overall Wounded Bird releases packagewise are compatible to what other label? Old Metal Records releases maybe? Cheapest one: one page insert 4:1 color?

No, not that bad. The ones I have are 4-page booklets, 4 over 1.

I've got a page I've been working on (halfheartedly) for my Maynard Ferguson collection, and it has 3 Wounded Bird releases on it at the moment. I have pictures of the booklet front, tray card, and disc for each of them:

http://www.vintagetrumpets.com/maynard/maynard.html

-Dan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link Dan,

those look okay. Ideally I'd like to see a bit more pages on the booklet, but for the given retail price they sell them on their website, 4-page insert is fair enough I guess.

The Wounded bird reissues tend to only have sleeve notes if the original had them!

The Mothers Finest CD has the front & rear cover reproduced but little else,where as the JLT CD has the lyrics reproduced as well.

The whole point of this label isnt to give us loads of extra whistles & bells,its to give us albums that are no longer in print.

Some of those might very well be easy to get hold of stuff like Winger & Faster Pussycat ,but a lot of the stuff hasnt been available for some time or has never been on CD.

The music has not been remastered,but it has been taken from original masters,so at least its not just a case of someone burning MP3s from their home PC.

If big lables ever re-release these albums with bonus tracks & lotsa sleeve notes,that will be great,but until they do,I will be only too happy to get these bare bones re-releases.

The important fact is,these are "official" releases!!

Settle down kiddies...

Jeez, thanks for taking this thread WAY off topic.

But since we're already there...

Koogles was right about the Friction - Baby Talk release. Sam sent me one gratis, and I was less than impressed with the quality, so I took the time to outline the technical problems I found, along with prospective solutions. After working 15+ years in the commercial printing industry, and doing electronic prepress work for a fair portion of that, I know when subpar image manipulation and desktop publishing is going on. I also know how to fix these things and what workflows work best to maintain a crisp look to 2nd-generation artwork.

Sam pretty much told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that no one else has ever complained about the artwork quality. So I tried being constructive and offering suggestions, but it's not wanted.

That's Sam's prerogative. He can run his label the way he wants. Just know not to expect the same level of care when it comes to Retrospect artwork that you might expect elsewhere...

I've done the same thing Dan.....and I was probably one of..if not 'the' first to mention the Friction artwork. In that same breath...I love what he did with the Alyze artwork for the unreleased EP. That came out excellent. But...like I've said...it's his baby and he can do with it as he sees fit. I still like the numerous releases that I probably would have never even heard of...let alone heard. For that alone, I like his reissues!

The Wounded Bird stuff is a reissue of out of print fairly common stuff.....it's good stuff, but it doesn't make me go "Holy Shit....what is that??", like the Retrospect, Metalmayhem and Suncity releases are doing......but, really....to each his own...

I have got a few Wounded Bird releases myself and I am very happy with them.

I own both Virgina Wolf CD's and the 2-CD set of Jan Hammer. They are legit releases - as far as I am concerned - , all of them sound great, I paid a reasonable price for them and their cover art suits me fine.

I don't see what more one can ask for ... ? :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

And thar she blows!!!

Oops...I said "She Blows"....... :whistle:

I bought both Streets cd's for my b-day, and I was pleased with Wounded Bird's products.

Shouldn't this be in the uninteresting thread? :lol:

Dick.

My work here is done. :headbanger:

God, the stupidest shit that gets me laughing my ass off! :lol:

I just discovered Wounded Bird late last year, when I went out looking for Loudness' THUNDER IN THE EAST. I had no idea if it was even available on CD, much less in the U.S. -- I figured I'd have to pay big $$ for an import from Japan if I found it at all. Imagine my surprise when I found it (and a whole boatload of other Loudness titles, some of which never got released in the U.S. the first time around!) at Tower Records, along with some other goodies by Vicious Rumors (woo hoo, I've been looking for WELCOME TO THE BALL on CD for ten years!) and numerous others...

I do have to wonder why they bothered to re-release Overkill's I HEAR BLACK, though, as it was Overkill's worst album and copies of the original Atlantic Records pressing are still widely available in cut-out bins and used-CD stores virtually everywhere you turn. Anybody who buys that one from Wounded Bird obviously isn't looking hard enough for it. :P

I do have to wonder why they bothered to re-release Overkill's I HEAR BLACK, though, as it was Overkill's worst album and copies of the original Atlantic Records pressing are still widely available in cut-out bins and used-CD stores virtually everywhere you turn.

My sentiments eaxclty when I saw they have re-released Winger... with no extra bonuses and simple 4 panel insert without even lyrics... who will buy it when you can get the original for like $0.99 easily.

its just a shame that the artists don't see squat from the Wounded Bird re-issues.

Why would you say that? If theirs are legit releases they surely pay master-usage and mechanical rights. Master usage rights may not go to the artist if the master is owned by record company, but mechanical rights should, and they are about $1 per regular full-lenght CD ...well approximately $1 coz BMI or ASCAP take their share for processing it, but the artist gets the bigger part of it as far as I know. Wounded birds re-release albums that have been already domestically released and registered with one of the licensing companies, so I'd assume they follow this procedure.

its just a shame that the artists don't see squat from the Wounded Bird re-issues.

Why would you say that? If theirs are legit releases they surely pay master-usage and mechanical rights. Master usage rights may not go to the artist if the master is owned by record company, but mechanical rights should, and they are about $1 per regular full-lenght CD ...well approximately $1 coz BMI or ASCAP take their share for processing it, but the artist gets the bigger part of it as far as I know. Wounded birds re-release albums that have been already domestically released and registered with one of the licensing companies, so I'd assume they follow this procedure.

They may be legit , but I know for a fact that Malice , Henry Paul , Nantucket and Winger (as well as a few others) haven't received a dime for those re-issues.

Ask the bands how Wounded Bird treats them....like a typical label , no respect for the artists.

When you buy from Wounded Bird know that the artist doesn't receive a penny and you are once again funding greedy majors.

Man , if some of you knew how these artists get treated you wouldn't buy shit from certain labels ever again (*cough* Metal Mayhem *cough*) , it's amazing what you can find out if you go behind the scenes.

*sigh*

80sMetalCollector, I know you don't care dick for my opinion, but as a Retrospect employee and "official spokesperson" here for Retrospect, you might want to think about how taking open-handed swipes at other record labels reflects on Retrospect's image with respect to professionalism.

Just a suggestion...

-Dan

Ther reason those artists see nothing for those reissues is that the artist does not own the rights to the material,the record companies that originally released them do.

This is why so many bands like Warrant,L.A. Guns & Bulletboys among many,have had to release re-recorded versions of songs on greatest hits albums.

Its too expensive for them to buy the rights to use the original tracks.

If a big label releases a greatest hits CD,the artist recieves nothing unless it was in their original contract,which is unlikely,or the record label asks for their input.

By re-recording the songs,the artists is in essence doing,is recording a cover version.

If a record label sells the rights to another record label (like Wounded Bird),the artist will still recieve no money for this.

No matter how badly you try to tar Wounded Bird with that rather shitty brush,the real screw job was done by the big labels years ago!

Ther reason those artists see nothing for those reissues is that the artist does not own the rights to the material,the record companies that originally released them do.

This is why so many bands like Warrant,L.A. Guns & Bulletboys among many,have had to release re-recorded versions of songs on greatest hits albums.

Its too expensive for them to buy the rights to use the original tracks.

If a big label releases a greatest hits CD,the artist recieves nothing unless it was in their original contract,which is unlikely,or the record label asks for their input.

By re-recording the songs,the artists is in essence doing,is recording a cover version.

If a record label sells the rights to another record label (like Wounded Bird),the artist will still recieve no money for this.

No matter how badly you try to tar Wounded Bird with that rather shitty brush,the real screw job was done by the big labels years ago!

That DOES NOT excuse the owner of Wounded Bird to be a downright nasty prick when the bands call him. Shall I give you email addresses of bands who have called WB and got an "asshole" response?

He has no obligation to give them anything!

He has had to pay a lot of money to get those rights,money the bands wont pay to get the rights themselves,so what is his motive to give out even more money?

In an ideal world he would give them money,but the record business is not an ideal world!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.