rock boulevard

figgy

Hello everyone ! just wanted you know that retrospect records is now going to reissue the Rock Boulevard s/t cd as we speak.It costs 49.99 plus shipping of 2.00

you can go to the retrospect website to order it. :banger:  :band:  :banana:  :drink:

Retrospect Records ?? That's not much more than a CDR, right ?!?! 50 bucks ?!?!?!

Hello everyone ! just wanted you know that retrospect records is now going to reissue the Rock Boulevard s/t cd as we speak.It costs 49.99 plus shipping of 2.00

you can go to the retrospect website to order it. :banger:  :band:  :banana:  :drink:

What do you mean "going to release"? It's been on the Retrospect website for $49.99 for months.

I thought the whole point of the higher price was that there would only ever be 100 copies and that was it. No reissues of the reissues.

Where are you getting your information?

-Dan

Let's not start this thing up again...Sam is selling CDR's...if you're willing to pay 50 bucks for one, whatever. I'm sure that the good people here, though, would be willing to make someone a copy on the house.

I think I'd rather pay $50 for a re-issue than over $1000 for an original.   This is old news though. :wtf:

Kewl man, if you collect all 4 reissues (comes on green, blue, red, and diamond-tinted cdrs) Sam will give you a free bonus.

I know, I know, sorry, couldnt resist :P

With at least 50 bands currently selling their discs as cdr's on various sites (including Dan at one point) , I'm trying to figure out how it matters that Sam is doing the same thing. Are you going to find bands like Mistreated , Cobra Dane , Atomik Cocktail , Hyde or Buster Cherry anywhere else on cd? I didn't think so. Are you going to pay $1000 for Rock Boulevard or $500 for Friction? I didn't think so either.

What exactly is the problem?

I have no qualms about forking out $20 for a professionally produced release.

I am guilty of this too. :anon:

I bought "Friction--Baby Talk" because I don't have five hundred dollars laying around anywhere to buy the original.....i'd love to, but I don't make that kind of money. I mean at least you get the artwork and the artwork for the disc as well. If some of these other $300 on up cds were in the $100-200 dollar range I could see paying that much....but $300 for some of this stuff is insane. Again, some stuff I am willing to pay top dollar....only two cds as a matter of fact. I mean $1,000 dollars for Rock Boulevard? I am sure its a good disc but not for no thousand bucks. Some of us don't make that much in a month.......maybe if we were male whores perhaps

I am guilty of this too.    :anon:

I bought "Friction--Baby Talk"  because I don't have five hundred dollars laying around anywhere to buy the original.....i'd love to, but I don't make that kind of money.  I mean at least you get the artwork and the artwork for the disc as well.  If some of these other $300 on up cds were in the $100-200 dollar range I could see paying that much....but $300 for some of this stuff is insane.  Again, some stuff I am willing to pay top dollar....only two cds as a matter of fact.  I mean $1,000 dollars for Rock Boulevard?  I am sure its a good disc but not for no thousand bucks.  Some of us don't make that much in a month.......maybe if we were male whores perhaps

I am not trying to start an arguement......because I don't want anyone offended or mad at me over a cd. Everyone on here are really cool and knowledgable in music. Thats one of the many reasons I come here...to get info or to BS with some people about the music we love. So, I am not trying to get anyone against me because I bought a CDR or two.

If I had a million dollars from the lottery, then it would be something different...I would buy these originals, but I am just an ordinary guy with a car payment, and bills like everyone else. Keep rocking and rollin'! :rofl:

I am guilty of this too.    :anon:

I bought "Friction--Baby Talk"  because I don't have five hundred dollars laying around anywhere to buy the original.....i'd love to, but I don't make that kind of money.  I mean at least you get the artwork and the artwork for the disc as well.  If some of these other $300 on up cds were in the $100-200 dollar range I could see paying that much....but $300 for some of this stuff is insane.  Again, some stuff I am willing to pay top dollar....only two cds as a matter of fact.  I mean $1,000 dollars for Rock Boulevard?  I am sure its a good disc but not for no thousand bucks.  Some of us don't make that much in a month.......maybe if we were male whores perhaps

Don't worry ! I am guilty of this, too !

I bought the Retrospect reissue of the Friction for the same reasons and there is nothing wrong with the playing quality. There is no content to the front cover, but what the heck ..., I didn't pay 500 bucks for it.

;)

With at least 50 bands currently selling their discs as cdr's on various sites (including Dan at one point) , I'm trying to figure out how it matters that Sam is doing the same thing.  Are you going to find bands like Mistreated , Cobra Dane , Atomik Cocktail , Hyde or Buster Cherry anywhere else on cd?  I didn't think so.  Are you going to pay $1000 for Rock Boulevard or $500 for Friction?  I didn't think so either.

Aaron,

You're misinterpreting my post. I was asking where figgy was getting his information from, when in fact Sam has had the Rock Boulevard CD on his site for a LONG time. If figgy has just now found that out now, that's one thing. No problem at all.

If, on the other hand, there's now a reissue of the reissue, that would run counter to what even Sam has said. The high price ($49.99) for this reissue was supposedly because there would only be 100 released.

I'm simply wanting more information. That's all.

I have no qualms about forking out $20 for a professionally produced release.

True, but we're talking about 2.5 times that amount... $49.95. That's a fair amount of money for a CDR reissue no matter how you slice it. :)

-Dan

Aaron?

Dan , there is no re-issue of a re-issue , I have a reliable source on that and Sam apparently has about 50 Rock Boulevards left. I think Sam is just pricing his cd's at market value. I mean they are still selling for $40+ on ebay so why sell them for $15 when people will just flip them on ebay for a profit? You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. (think that's how it goes - lol)

Anyways , the point being , cdr's or no cdr's Sam is making good money for the bands and they are thankful to finally receive checks for their hard work (let's face it many of them got screwed back in the day). So if there's a few of you who want to keep trading cd-r's instead of purchasing directly from the source then you're only hurting the guys who created the music , not to mention them being able to finance new music.

I'm not Sam's butt buddy or anything , I just know him from conversations on the phone and emails , and his passion for the music goes beyond anyone I've ever met.

Aaron? 

Dan , there is no re-issue of a re-issue , I have a reliable source on that and Sam apparently has about 50 Rock Boulevards left.  I think Sam is just pricing his cd's at market value.  I mean they are still selling for $40+ on ebay so why sell them for $15 when people will just flip them on ebay for a profit?  You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. (think that's how it goes - lol)

Anyways , the point being , cdr's or no cdr's Sam is making good money for the bands and they are thankful to finally receive checks for their hard work (let's face it many of them got screwed back in the day).  So if there's a few of you who want to keep trading cd-r's instead of purchasing directly from the source then you're only hurting the guys who created the music , not to mention them being able to finance new music.

I'm not Sam's butt buddy or anything , I just know him from conversations on the phone and emails , and his passion for the music goes beyond anyone I've ever met.

Fair enough.

I think Sam realizes though, that ultimately he'll have to press these at some point. Why? You said it yourself -- people don't see the same "value" in a CDR as in a pressed disc and are more likely to trade them than buy them. That's just the nature of the beast.

When people are paying a premium price (and yes, I consider $50 to be "premium" even if it is less than $1,000) the vast majority want a real disc. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but it's true. Some people are willing to pay $50 for a CDR, but in my opinion they are the exception rather than the rule.

No argument with Sam's approach, and he's entitled to do what he wants, but I think there is a fairly large sector of the collecting population that just won't shell out for a CDR...

-Dan

Hope you don't mind but I would just like to add one more point before we knock this on the head. This has been explained to me so I'm trying to relay this as accurate as possible.

Sam has a choice - print 1,000 silver discs for $1300 OR 100 green "diamondbacks" for $250

Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that's over a $1000 difference in investment for a band that you don't know will sell 10 or 10,000.

I have been told that he would rather release 100 bands at 100 units each than 10 bands at 1,000 units each.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Hope you don't mind but I would just like to add one more point before we knock this on the head.  This has been explained to me so I'm trying to relay this as accurate as possible.

Sam has a choice - print 1,000 silver discs for $1300 OR 100 green "diamondbacks" for $250

Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that's over a $1000 difference in investment for a band that you don't know will sell 10 or 10,000. 

I have been told that he would rather release 100 bands at 100 units each than 10 bands at 1,000 units each. 

Makes perfect sense to me.

80's MC makes a fair point about return on investment, HOWEVER...if you do drop $1,000 on 1,000 cd's (there is a place in Seattle that will do that, this includes pro artwork front and rear) then hock your, "impossible to find", "best indie in the land", "like Skid Row only..." CD's for $10, $15 or even $20 a piece If you are that sought after they will move. (for the math wizards, at $10 bucks a piece sell 100 cd's and you have made back your investment and you are releasing/selling a quality product and in turn not taking advantage of your fan base/collectors.)

*And if the "band" is so worried about someone else selling thier disc for more than they can get, cdr a zillion and sell 'em for a buck a piece to everyone in the known free world and now you are a zillionaire!!!! (and no one could sell 'em for an inflated price.)

C'mon man, are you triyng to tell me that a decent official silverback issue of Rock Boulevard would not sell in 10 copies if the original goes for $1000? :blink:

If Rock Boulevard, or Friction dont deserve a mere $1300 investment, what band does?

Of course you probably will have problems selling all 1000 if marked at $50 retail, but if sold at reasonable price like $14.99 or thereabouts they will sell, oh yeah

I don't believe for a second that Friction or Rock Boulevard will sell 1,000 units....in any format.

The test will be Manila Thrills and Mariah , both of which are apparently being pressed as silver discs.

Mariah has members of Tyketto , Britny Fox , Waysted and Lynn Allen....not to mention that Retrospect is releasing 3 of their albums , one being produced by Steve Brown of Trixter and another one having a song co-written with Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora.

If that doesn't sell in droves then I guess Sam IS doing the right thing.

I don't see anyone complaining about the Bittersweet 2 disc set being cdr's. Why is that?

I know a few of my bands are being released through Retrospect, and I dont mind them being cdr's, I am just glad the music will be available. I hope all of you check out the first one called Buster Cherry. And hopefully Sam can sell the 100 copies, that would be awesome.

I don't believe for a second that Friction or Rock Boulevard will sell 1,000 units....in any format.

The test will be Manila Thrills and Mariah , both of which are apparently being pressed as silver discs.

Mariah has members of Tyketto , Britny Fox , Waysted and Lynn Allen....not to mention that Retrospect is releasing 3 of their albums , one being produced by Steve Brown of Trixter and another one having a song co-written with Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora. 

If that doesn't sell in droves then I guess Sam IS doing the right thing.

I don't see anyone complaining about the Bittersweet 2 disc set being cdr's. Why is that?

See, the test maybe a bit too late. The news travel fast and the majority of the repeated eBay sellers lerned already that Retrospect = cdr, so it could be hard to gain people's respect back.

I dont know if Sam does the right thing or not. I simply dont care anymore, and it is Sam business' decission anyway. All I know is that he wouldnt have sold so many cdrs on eBay if they were properly described, that's for sure. Essentially he targets "one-timers," people that would buy, find out it's cdr and never to return again. It is a good way for making some fast bucks, the bad thing is that the melodic metal community is not so big market, and news travels fast, so if he denies any outside distribution and rely solely on his own eBay sales, the sale figures probably would start to decline - it is only natural to happen so. *me shrugs*

One more thing, I would be shocked if ANY of Ryan's releases over there at Metal Mayhem sold 1,000 units or more.

I dont know about Ryan, but can tell that all 3 re-releases of GRAVESTONE Stefan did 6 months ago (Karthago Records) sold out already.

1000 copies silverbacks, average retail $15, so it is possible to sell underground stuff.

If you look at the buyers , they are mostly repeat buyers.  I believe you are over-analyzing how many people care about silver discs.  To each his own.

It could be. This is just my personal opinion anyway, and I do not pretend to be the best analyst around for sure :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.