RETROSPECT REC-S...How is the quality....

ashen_light

A lot of things have been discussed here about Retrospect Records and the quality of CDs , however nothing has been mentioned about the quality of the sound. Did anyone purchase any of those? Any comments? I tried to contact a few Retrospect customers, but noone has responded so far.

I might be skeptical about the re-issues of mega-rarities(Friction, Hearless, etc..), but I have no problems with re-releases of the material which had never been available on CD format.

Any information about the quality of the sound would be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

ASHEN.

A lot of things have been discussed here about Retrospect Records and the quality of CDs , however nothing has been mentioned about the quality of the sound. Did anyone purchase any of those? Any comments? I tried to contact a few Retrospect customers, but noone has responded so far.

I might be skeptical about the re-issues of mega-rarities(Friction, Hearless, etc..), but I have no problems with re-releases of the material which had never been available on CD format. 

Any information about the quality of the sound would be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

ASHEN.

It varies from release to release.....but all in all it's been quite good. Retrospect's website now has samples up for every release. As well as, if you see Vegascds auctions there are links from all of them to some song samples....

The sound samples can only give me a general idea of the quality. I ordered a couple of items from the website and I want to see for myself. Will let you all know.

Later.

Denis.

I know this question will trigger some nasty responses, but I have to ask it, sorry.

Are all of the Retsrospect releases CD-Rs?

Valid question.

I would LOVE to buy some of Sam's stuff. You have to admit, a few of the titles are AWESOME. But the last thing I need is a cheap CD-R with photocopied artwork.

If he's putting out a nice package (ala HOT METAL, etc.), I'll be first in line!

Valid question.

I would LOVE to buy some of Sam's stuff.  You have to admit, a few of the titles are AWESOME.  But the last thing I need is a cheap CD-R with photocopied artwork. 

If he's putting out a nice package (ala HOT METAL, etc.), I'll be first in line!

I wouldn't exactly call HOT METAL "nice packaged" since Panos uses the cheapest plant possible and all their CDs are milky-swirled on the playing surface, but I hear ya and know what you mean.

It's not really so expensive to make 1000 proper silverback CDs you know, but in Sam's line of work, given they are made to be sold on eBay one at a time only for the highest profit possible per CD, it's not really worth for him to make more than 100 anyway.... just a different business approach I guess *shrugs*

***My Retrospect Review***

Well ladies and gentlemen I got my CD's from Sam. They actually came in yesterday. I decided I'm not going to give my opinion on these CD's, as opinions are like...well you know the rest.

I'm going to answer some FAQ's, and leave my opinions to myself. I DON'T want someone to order anything based on my opinion and be disappointed in what they get. I don't want to be responsible for that.

**Note: I have never heard nor seen an original of either of these CD's. I don't know how the sound quality is on the originals, or how the inside artwork looks. Therefore I cannot make a comparison on the originals and the reissues I received. My review is ONLY on the products I received, NOT a comparison.**

Here's how my experience went:

Shipping?: Lightning Fast (ordered Friday...received Tuesday)

Silver Pressed Cd's?: No

Decent Artwork?: Yes. Well reproduced artwork. High quality paper.

CD Artwork?: No. A standard white CD cover (heatsealed). The only difference between the two was the band names, and CD title. Everything else was the same.

Inside Booklet?: *Friction, no. (just cover artwork on one side, band and label info, and thank you's on the back). Looks authentic and complete.

*Rock Boulevard, yes. Nice booklet with band and label info, song titles, lyrics, and thank you's. Looks authentic and complete.

Lyrics Included?: Friction, no. Rock Boulevard, yes.

Sound Quality?: Both sound excellent. Rock Boulevard takes the cake here though to be honest. VERY high quality sound. Friction sounds great too though. Just not as 'clean'.

That is all I can think of for now. Please feel free to ask questions.

Hope this helped.

M.

I wouldn't exactly call HOT METAL "nice packaged" since Panos uses the cheapest plant possible and all their CDs are milky-swirled on the playing surface, but I hear ya and know what you mean.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the REVENGE OF TRUE METAL series? Those are well packaged for sure with beautiful artwork and sturdy slipcases!

It's not really so expensive to make 1000 proper silverback CDs you know, but in Sam's line of work, given they are made to be sold on eBay one at a time only for the highest profit possible per CD, it's not really worth for him to make more than 100 anyway.... just a different business approach I guess *shrugs*

Sam's put them all up on the website now, at a SET price, hasn't he? Moot point....

Sam's put them all up on the website now, at a SET price, hasn't he? Moot point....

Well, I wouldn't say that the prices are THAT set...Friction started off at $49.99 & has recently dropped to $39.99...

Sam's put them all up on the website now, at a SET price, hasn't he?  Moot point....

Yep, he put them on the site, ...after exausting eBay. It takes so much for people to understand those come in qunatities and stop outbidding themselves you know. And do you see anyplace it says those are CD-Rs?

I can see a lot of "not-so-moot" points coming out of this. For instance: if one can manufacture the CD-Rs at home on his burner and print the white labels on his thermal inkjet, how the band will know how many copies has been manufactured and sold to get the proper royalties for?

Anyway, I'm not scolding at him - it is his business and his selling decisions. I just wanted to know if they are CD-Rs or not. Thanks to Malebolgia I know now.

Hey, if there are people ready to pay $19.99 and more for white-labeled CD-Rs and willing to keep the "product" once they see it, ...well, what can I say - more power to Sam!

Perhaps I'm thinking of the REVENGE OF TRUE METAL series?  Those are well packaged for sure with beautiful artwork and sturdy slipcases!

Yep. Those UV-coated slipcases are very impressive. The inserts are still single-page (or two-folds), but still acceptible package by all means. If they only were official... eh :)

Anyway, my point was that if someone wants to put good all-around package for the fans, it surely can be done!

Check out the Sentinel Steel releases for example, they are all very gorgeous state of the art products - glossy multi-page booklets, great custom licensed artwork, digitally remastered by credible sound engineers, fully licensed by the bands, etc. and yet they still cost $12 retail! That's what I call something done by fans FOR the fans! Everything else is just a joke

• Old New Ballads Blues - Gary Moore
    • Don't Let It End - Highly Strung featuring John McEnroe
    • Sure isn't Sam Newman, not Norman.
    • “YOU'VE BEEN WAITING! IT'S 7 O'CLOCK, TIME TO ANNOUNCE THE PRESALE OF THE NEW QUIREBOYS ALBUM 'WARDOUR STREET' SPECIAL GIG, BOX SET, VINYL AND MORE Spike, Nigel Mogg, Chris Johnstone, Rudy Richman and Luke Morley are delighted to announce that the new Quireboys album 'Wardour Street' is now available on presale through their worldwide distributor Cadiz Music. The album is dedicated to Guy Bailey's memory. It's the album he wanted the band to make. Included in the presale are these exclusive items: Album launch event in London / box set / exclusive gig T shirt. This is a private party to meet the band and an acoustic gig. Only 100 tickets will be available. Box Set includes: • Exclusive rose coloured vinyl • CD • Cassette (only available in the box set) • Silk scarf • Shot glass • Laminates • Signed lyric sheets • Poster Also available: • Limited edition box set • Limited edition white vinyl Ip • Digipak CD https://cadizmerchstore.com/collections/quireboyswardourstreet/products/quireboys-wardour-street-box-lp-cd?variant=40676535599159  
    • Is he producing?  He mixed & mastered that new Nickoloff - Envy release to and it's on Kivel...he's everywhere  I thought Oscar Nilsson produced this?
    • Well it isn't far away so you never know lol
    • Have to say that I'm a little excited to get Remasters of the Flame discs  love them...the other ain't too shabby either mind 
    • More to come from Bad Reputation...April 19th.. Deadringer - Electrocution Of The Heart (1989) Everybody rock When you’re in you’re in Love’s a killer Secret eyes Balls out Summa cum loud Double talk Dangerous love Bring on the night Unsung heroes Bonus track Unsung heroes (Remix) Outlaw Blood - S/t (1991)   TOWER OF LOVE BODY & SOUL LAST ACT SINK MY TEETH EVERY DAY I DIE SOUL REVIVAL I’M IN SHOCK RED HOT ‘N’ BLUE SLAVE TO LOVE FALL THRU THE CRACKS HOLLYWOOD BABYLON and on 28th May... Flame - s/t & Blaze (2cd) (1989/1992)   CD 1. FLAME - Flame 1.    Razor Blade Road (Prelude) 2.    Rain 3.    Electraglide 4.    Wild One 5.    Don’t Look Down 6.    Wonderland 7.    Shelter You 8.    If You Had A Heart 9.    Never Say Die 10.    Ball And Chain 11.    Blood For Blood 12.    Desperate Heart 13.    Automatic 14.    Razor Blade Road (Reprise) CD 2.  Flame - Blaze 1.    Lorelei 2.    Ride 3.    Ball & Chain 4.    New Love 5.    Givin’ Me Lies 6.    Get It All 7.    Automatic 8.    Fascination Touch 9.    Bound n Tied 10.    Freight Train 11.    Don’t Look Down  
    • Decent song but a bit too "Eurovision" for me. Maybe it'll grow on me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.