Slash - Living the Dream

Crazysam

Slash is scheduled to release his fourth solo album on September 21st via Slash's label Snakepit Records.  First single "Driving Rain" is out now. 

Third release to feature MYLES KENNEDY (Vocals), and the Conspirators BRENT FITZ (Drums), TODD KERNS (Bass & Vocals) and FRANK SIDORIS (Guitar & Vocals).  On Wednesday, July 25 the band launched a pre-order in the following formats : a limited edition Deluxe Premium 2 LP Yellow Vinyl within a Premium “Living the Dream” Vinyl-size 20 page Hardback Book, an exclusive one- sided 7” single of “Driving Rain” featuring an etching on the B-side with a special set of SLASH guitar picks, Standard Digital and Physical CD album, poster as well as a limited-edition T-shirt and Hoodie are available. For LIVING THE DREAM, SLASH and his band re-teamed with producer Michael “Elvis” Baskette (Alter Bridge, Iggy Pop, Incubus) on the powerful 12 song collection.

http://www.slashonline.com

image.png.7c404401d2c5385246c3aecd07d55a4b.png

1. The Call of the Wild
  2. Serve You Right
  3. My Antidote
  4. Mind Your Manners
  5. Lost Inside the Girl
  6. Read Between the Lines
  7. Slow Grind
  8. The One You Loved Is Gone
  9. Driving Rain
  10. Sugar Cane
  11. The Great Pretender
  12. Boulevard of Broken Hearts

I loved the first album, but as probably my least fave tracks on it were the ones fronted by Kennedy, it is no surprise that the follow ups have no excited me.

At least he does not seem to aping Axl on this song, something he has done way too much on other releases.

Funny thing is, if I heard this without knowing who it is, at points it kinda reminds me of Tyketto, but then the vocals on the verses give away that it is not.

I thought every album so far has had at least a few decent tracks on it. Having said that, I listened to World on Fire the least and Apocalyptic Love the most out of the three. This might not have anything to do with song quality but only that I was more receptive to this style back then

But will need to check out World on Fire again to see how it's held up

On 7/27/2018 at 6:30 PM, CureTheSane said:

For me Kennedy took time to come to terms with.
Never really saw him as mimicking Axl, but he has a unique voice for sure.

Kennedy seems like a good dude and all, but his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  Music reminds me of Blind Melon... and I HATED Blind Melon.

"Hate" is actually sugar-coating my feeling toward the entire Grunge movement of the early '90's.  What a paltry time that was for me (musically).

3 hours ago, gener8tr said:

Music reminds me of Blind Melon... and I HATED Blind Melon.

"Hate" is actually sugar-coating my feeling toward the entire Grunge movement of the early '90's.  What a paltry time that was for me (musically).

Blind Melon?  Surprising comparison, I'm not hearing much grunge influence.   Blind Melon and Slash do have a bit of a connection though, their singer provided backup vocals on Use Your Illusion and was in the video for "Don't Cry"

1 hour ago, Crazysam said:

Blind Melon?  Surprising comparison, I'm not hearing much grunge influence.   Blind Melon and Slash do have a bit of a connection though, their singer provided backup vocals on Use Your Illusion and was in the video for "Don't Cry"

I didn't listen to the new track... I've really only heard Kennedy when he did a Guitar Center acoustical thing with Slash a while back, and all I could think of was Shannon Hoon and his stupid bumblebee outfit :)

18 minutes ago, gener8tr said:

I didn't listen to the new track... I've really only heard Kennedy when he did a Guitar Center acoustical thing with Slash a while back, and all I could think of was Shannon Hoon and his stupid bumblebee outfit :)

Haha, the bumblebee outfit!  When I read your post earlier, the only song by Blind Melon that I could even think of was the one with the girl with the glasses wearing that costume.  

• 1 month later...

Pretty shit album, innit? I assume that the silence following it's release, on such a prolific artist, means no one's really into this? I've found a song or two to like from his recent albums, but this is a struggle. I thought 'The One You Loved Is Gone' was a pretty fine ballad, and the sole keeper from the album.

But the rest... just sounds like Slash's Snakepit, when imo Slash was at his worst. It's not good. 

Forgot about this one until yesterday I saw it at JBHiFi
Will track it down and give it a spin.
I really liked 7 songs off the last album, but this is a band that required quite a few listens before a call can be made.
Songs need to imbed themselves inside your brain to really get them.

So I'm listening now and so far it's actually pretty good.
On first listen probably a bit catchier than previous records.

Even hits a lower register on Lost Inside The Girl, which is cool as I was comparing Kennedy's voice to Mark Slaughter as far as learning to like it, and was wondering if he had a lower register. Not quite the difference that Slaughter has, but not bad...