Treat - Tunguska

Stefan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through it all now...initial impression is solid...about on par overall with GOG.

For me though, think GOG had more standout songs.  But also for me, GOG tailed off a little in the second half...this one feels maybe a bit more consistent throughout.   There's a couple tunes that do feel a little fillerish though.

Tough to really have much feel after 2 listens but would think that if somebody liked GOG, they'd probably like this too.

On 9/9/2018 at 2:07 AM, Crazysam said:

I hadn't noticed it, but after you mentioned it I agree that intro is pretty similar to the Roxette song

That piano riff is definitely more or less the same. Good pick-up, Invisible Man.

Anyway, I've spun this a few times now and my thoughts are this. It's a good, solid 75% type album. It won't threaten my top 30 in 2018, sadly, but it's solid. 

My issues? Well to me it just sounds a bit one dimensional. Every song sounds similar - similar pace and similar hooks/melodies. It's a bit like since they recorded (the song) 'Ghosts in Graceland' every song since has more or less had that same vibe. It's a cool vibe and all but one of these songs are keepers. I don't like 'Best of enemies' much, but the rest will all be on my 2018 playlist. 

My favourites are 'Heartmath City,' 'Build the love' and probably the closer, 'Undefeated.' Nice stuff... but nothing better than 8/10 on this album, imo. And only one song worth of an 8/10. 

Without wishing to just point our issues with no solutions, I was thinking of one thing I'd like to see from Treat. As the likes of D2 and Vain have done in recent years, I'd like to see Treat incorporate a cheeky vintage track or two resurrected into their albums. I don't know if they have leftovers like 'Still In Heaven' in the archives... but I'd even love to hear the 'Muscle In Motion' songs done with Ernlund on vocals. Perhaps if they threw an new version of 'You Won't See Me Cryin,' 'Waiting to Get Even,' 'Streets Cry Freedom,' 'Better Off Without Your Love' or 'Muscle In Motion' in the mix with their next album - it's something I'd personally love to see. Just to keep in touch with their past. 

'Coup De Grace' was an awesome return to form but if they are to record another album, I'd rather it not sound like this new one and 'GOG,' personally. :)

But for 2018, it's another good album from Treat. Not great or amazing, but good and entirely listenable.   

Good review on the album that pretty much echos my sentiments:

https://melodicmusicreviews.wordpress.com/2018/09/09/treat-tunguska-2018-album-review/

After repeated listens I'm digging this and do think I like it slightly more than the last album...but not ahead of Coup.  Basically, GOG had 3-4 songs in the second half that I routinely skip over....I mostly tuned out of that album after Nonstop Madness.  I'm really not getting the urge to skip anything here outside of maybe Creeps.  But even that isn't too bad.  I do still feel like it's lacking 10/10 type songs that blow me away but pretty consistent throughout.

Have to say that the opening single Build The Love has really grown on me....works really well where it's placed on the album.  Also really like that there are plenty of up tempo melodic rockers here...Really like Always Have, Always Will, Best Of Enemies, Heartmath City, Man Overboard and Undefeated.

Going to be tough sorting out my top 10 list this year....lots of good stuff and a couple heavy hitters still to come with Midnite City and Nordic Union.

I'm probably just stupid, but does "Heartmath" City have a meaning to it?  

3 hours ago, The Rocker said:

I'm probably just stupid, but does "Heartmath" City have a meaning to it?  

I had to Google it lol...basically "heartmath" just involves taking charge of your life, reducing stress, etc.  So just a song about that best I can tell.  Pretty good tune :)

26 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I had to Google it lol...basically "heartmath" just involves taking charge of your life, reducing stress, etc.  So just a song about that best I can tell.  Pretty good tune :)

Thanks man

The first track was playing on my way to work this morning... Just driving and humming along when I had to take a double take at the chorus....

Am I the ONLY one that thought they were singing about Pro Janitors? ;)

10 hours ago, T-BONE said:

The first track was playing on my way to work this morning... Just driving and humming along when I had to take a double take at the chorus....

Am I the ONLY one that thought they were singing about Pro Janitors? ;)

My kids love this show called Go Jetters and I was convinced that for the strangest reason in the world, Treat were singing about Go Jetters. True story. :(

Gave this a listen today and think it is a pretty good album.  As has been mentioned, there aren't any true standouts (10/10) this time around.  And I don't think there are too many songs that would have even made the final cut had they been recorded during the sessions for their last two releases.  So when you first listen to the album I suggest doing your best to not compare it to CDG or GOG and I think you will find it to be an enjoyable listen.  While I give them credit for coming up with some unique song titles/subject matters, for me, it occasionally detracts from an otherwise good song.  For example, Progenitors is a catchy tune, but I am unable to really get into that chorus.  There really aren't any "bad" tracks, even if I still don't care much for the main guitar riff the guys used on Rose of Jericho.  But if I am picking my favorites they'd be similar to what others mentioned (Undefeated and Heartmath City) and I'd add in Riptide. 

Edited by Crazysam

For me it's an album of good songs.

I'll probably end up with 4 or 5 in their best of folder, the 3 I mentioned above, Rose Of Jericho and maybe another

Overall it's a little bland I guess, but then I like my music full of hooks, tempo changes and awesome bridges.

It will be in my top 10 this year though

On 9/15/2018 at 12:09 PM, CureTheSane said:

For me it's an album of good songs.

I'll probably end up with 4 or 5 in their best of folder, the 3 I mentioned above, Rose Of Jericho and maybe another

Overall it's a little bland I guess, but then I like my music full of hooks, tempo changes and awesome bridges.

It will be in my top 10 this year though

Jeez, with a write-up like that you must have a very, very low opinion of 2018. I'm a diehard Treat fan and this album is solid, but like I said above, it won't even be in my top 30. :(

Yeah we all have different opinions,which is what makes it all interesting,low down on a chart for one person but for me on a personal level its my number 1 of 2018 so far and there are quite a few contenders,not to mention those still to be released  :)

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Jeez, with a write-up like that you must have a very, very low opinion of 2018. I'm a diehard Treat fan and this album is solid, but like I said above, it won't even be in my top 30. :(

how in God's name are you finding 29 albums released so far this year better than this??

You must have loads of dodgy modern stuff going on ;)

it's a good album imo and would be residing around 7 or 8 if I could be arsed to actually compile a top 10.

it won't end up there of course....several goodies to come