Sign in to follow this  
tts42572

Ted Poley - Modern Art

I see he teamed up with the guys from Degreed for his next solo album coming out soon.  I believe it's out in July directly through him or September worldwide.

Few snippets below.  Not sure how I feel about it yet.  I like Degreed a lot and can hear their influences in the music.  What really does it with Degreed for me though is the edge Robin's gritty vocals add to it.  So far, not sure these songs are grabbing me quite as much as Degreed has in the past.  

Interesting combination though and will probably keep an eye on this.

I will be checking it out for sure 

Sounds different than I expected, but not bad.  For what it's worth, Ted said on his site that this isn't a solo album, more of a side project.  A follow up to his last solo release, Beyond The Fade, should be out next year though.

Edited by Crazysam

I will check it out for sure. I am not the biggest Degreed fan so, but this isn't sounding to bad.

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Few snippets below.  Not sure how I feel about it yet.  I like Degreed a lot and can hear their influences in the music.  What really does it with Degreed for me though is the edge Robin's gritty vocals add to it.  So far, not sure these songs are grabbing me quite as much as Degreed has in the past.  

Interesting combination though and will probably keep an eye on this.

Completely agree. I like Degreed and I like Ted but these samples sound a bit... odd (not bad either). I'll check when released but my hype sits on ground again.

Love me some Ted... Not hip to these particular tracks.  I look forward to the follow-up to "Beyond The Fade" which was quite excellent.

The second and third songs sound good to me. I don't like Poley's lower register, as displayed in the first one, so I hope there's not much of that, but otherwise this sounds great. 'Time' sounds especially great. 

Another sample:

Feeling at this point I'll probably pass on this at least as a pre-order.  I like Ted and love Degreed but this is just not really hitting the mark for me.  It's just a bit odd.  It's almost like a mellower version of Degreed.  Maybe I'll feel differently once I can hear some full songs.

Don't care for the latest sample, either.  This is certainly not D2-era Ted. 

Of course I was turned off from the jump with the album title.  Y'all know "modern" is not a word I've ever been in love with.

I like these samples.

Artwork for 'Modern Art':

cover1.jpg

That clip doesn't really display much at all, but I'm liking what I hear of the album. Cover art is rubbish. Looks like a psychedelic album cover or something. 

It all sounds fine to me. And I like the cover art, though I'm not so sure about the two different fonts.